• Announcements

• Hayley

Signing Up   11/06/2018

Signing Up is once again available. New members are very welcome
    • Hayley

BCF on Patreon!   11/10/2018

I'm very excited to finally share with you that BCF now has patreon! I'm sure some of you are familiar with patreon already, but for those who aren't here's what it means for the forum:   You will now be able to support the forum monthly. The amount you'd like to give is entirely up to you but, the more you give, the more rewards you get. The rewards (this is the most exciting part!) include entry to a monthly competition when you donate $2 or more. I really cannot wait to show you the first competition prize!   I really do need your support to keep this forum running and I hope that with patreon I can give something back to those who do support too. I am also aware that there's a possibility this might not work. For that reason, I'll be running it on a 6 month trial and I would really appreciate your feedback in that time.   Members who are current supporters will get automatic entry into the competitions until their current years membership runs out (although obviously you can still join the patreon before your current membership runs out if you want to!)   If you have any questions just send me a message, or come to the 'Changes' section of the forum.   If you'd like to get started on patreon, you can find the Book Club Forum here... https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum       
frankie

Frankie reads 2018

14 hours ago, frankie said:

I'm doing well, thanks! I'm on my summer holiday :smile2::D  It's the second week and I have next week off as well. I'm super happy about that :D I've been to my hometown. Actually, I took my BF there for the first time :)  He said he likes my parents and next time we could stay there a bit longer (we only did two full days there this time, because he was nervous and I didn't want to stress him with a longer stay, when it was his first time there). 

We also went to visit some of his relatives and oddly enough I wasn't all that nervous about that. I got to talk more to his sister and I got to hold her 9 month old baby and this time the baby didn't start crying! :smile2: She was sooo cute! 

I'm glad you are having a good time :D. It's nice you got to spend time with both your and your BF's family. Awww, I'm glad she was cute :smile2:!

I also finally got my bed that I ordered online, so that's great :D I don't have to sleep on a mattress, on the floor, anymore! :D Wohoo!! 

Yay :D!

No worries, of course you don't have to post about all of your acquired books! :)  But I'm happy you received the book :smile2:

Me too :)!

I have to say, and this is off-topic, but I love the design on the fabric on which you put the book. Is it a chair or an ottoman or something? :wub:

It's my table cloth :). It's from France, we found it at a local market in the south of France (my parents gifted it to me for my birthday last year, after I had picked it during our holiday in France). I love it too :wub:.

21 hours ago, frankie said:

How long do you think it would take you to acquire 500 new titles :D

Eep ! Maybe 3 years ? :ph34r:

Hurray for your new bed ! :D

7 hours ago, Athena said:

I'm glad you are having a good time :D. It's nice you got to spend time with both your and your BF's family. Awww, I'm glad she was cute :smile2:!

I was rather nervous about him meeting my parents, more nervous than he was, I think :D I don't know why, BF gets along with all kinds of people. 

7 hours ago, Athena said:

It's my table cloth :). It's from France, we found it at a local market in the south of France (my parents gifted it to me for my birthday last year, after I had picked it during our holiday in France). I love it too :wub:.

It being a table cloth makes way more sense, actually! I don't know why I thought it might be an ottoman. Maybe because I used to have one and I would take pictures of books on it :D It's such a beautiful table cloth! :wub:

51 minutes ago, Little Pixie said:

Eep ! Maybe 3 years ? :ph34r:

:lol: Let's see about this in 2021! :D

51 minutes ago, Little Pixie said:

Hurray for your new bed ! :D

Yes, hurray for my new bed! :D Now I need to find a new bed cover and sidetables! I've never had a sidetable, I've always just had a chair next to my bed, but now I really really want sidetables! This home of mine is starting to come together. 

8 minutes ago, frankie said:

:lol: Let's see about this in 2021! :D

Yes, hurray for my new bed! :D Now I need to find a new bed cover and sidetables! I've never had a sidetable, I've always just had a chair next to my bed, but now I really really want sidetables! This home of mine is starting to come together. 

Yes - I may have discovered a whole new way of counting books by then ; I already don`t count Kindle books ( cos they`re imaginary, obvs ) , I might not count books with vowels in thier title next. Anything to find a book-buying loophole. :haha:

Also, yay for BF and family visits. :D

Bedside table are great - you can stack books, radios and clocks and lamps on top, and you have drawers to hide more books and gum/mints for eating whilst reading. :)

17 hours ago, frankie said:

Now I'm really curious! Tell me more :D

Only that I'm a compulsive acquirer of books!  I'm having to really work at not accumulating more, but find them near irresistible.  Recently, I've done a huge amount of thinning out and downsizing, but still have some 1400+ on the TBR list, and around 3000 books on the shelves. 

Edited by willoyd

On 20.7.2018 at 7:43 PM, Little Pixie said:

Yes - I may have discovered a whole new way of counting books by then ; I already don`t count Kindle books ( cos they`re imaginary, obvs ) , I might not count books with vowels in thier title next. Anything to find a book-buying loophole. :haha:

:lol:  Oh yes! Vowels, consonants, be gone! :D 

On 20.7.2018 at 7:43 PM, Little Pixie said:

Bedside table are great - you can stack books, radios and clocks and lamps on top, and you have drawers to hide more books and gum/mints for eating whilst reading. :)

This is exactly what I want. But mostly, it's to stack books on :D  I might just buy a new bookcase and call it a bedside table :lol:

On 20.7.2018 at 7:45 PM, willoyd said:

Only that I'm a compulsive acquirer of books!  I'm having to really work at not accumulating more, but find them near irresistible.  Recently, I've done a huge amount of thinning out and downsizing, but still have some 1400+ on the TBR list, and around 3000 books on the shelves. 

That's a massive TBR list! Especially since you've downsized a lot recently. I do wonder where the TBR was standing before! A library of 3000 books is very admirable :wub:

On 21/07/2018 at 8:13 PM, frankie said:

That's a massive TBR list! Especially since you've downsized a lot recently. I do wonder where the TBR was standing before! A library of 3000 books is very admirable :wub:

I've always taken Umberto Eco's line on this (quoted in Black Swan) - it's simply a library of knowledge  that I've yet to tap into. His attitude was that read books are far less valuable than unread ones.  So, the TBR list was very similar before - almost all of the books I disposed of were books I'd read.  Most of the TBR list is non-fiction.

Frankie - Your Books read list and TBR are a couple of the most impressive lists that I have seen. That said, I wonder if I missed seeing two of John Steinbeck's books on either list. I see where you thought highly of Cannery Row and wonder why you haven't read Tortilla Flats or Sweet Thursday which both take place near Monterrey, California. I also don't see anything by Cormac McCarthy who is maybe the greatest living author in the USA. I may have overlooked all three books as your lists are really extensive and packed with outstanding books.

Kinda off topic. I spent a long weekend in Monterrey, California and had a fabulous dinner on Cannery Row. We were racing at Laguna Seca. We had our race car on Cannery Row as a promotion and our driver was interviewed by the newspaper. This was a long time ago back in 2000. . :)

Edited by muggle not