Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Hayley

      Signing Up   11/06/2018

      Signing Up is once again available. New members are very welcome
    • Hayley

      January Supporter Giveaway   01/16/2019

        I'm thrilled to (finally, sorry for the delay!) announce the January giveaway, with a Sherlock Holmes theme! Supporters can win a beautiful little hardback edition of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle as well as a stylish a5 print by www.thestorygift.co.uk/, featuring some witty advice from the great detective.     As always, if you support on patreon or if you supported before patreon (and did so less than twelve months ago), you'll be entered into the giveaway automatically. If you're not a supporter but want to take part, you can support for this month here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum .   The winner will be selected at random on January 31st. Good luck!  
frankie

Frankie reads 2018

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, frankie said:

I'm doing well, thanks! I'm on my summer holiday :smile2::D  It's the second week and I have next week off as well. I'm super happy about that :D I've been to my hometown. Actually, I took my BF there for the first time :)  He said he likes my parents and next time we could stay there a bit longer (we only did two full days there this time, because he was nervous and I didn't want to stress him with a longer stay, when it was his first time there). 

 

We also went to visit some of his relatives and oddly enough I wasn't all that nervous about that. I got to talk more to his sister and I got to hold her 9 month old baby and this time the baby didn't start crying! :smile2: She was sooo cute! 

 

I'm glad you are having a good time :D. It's nice you got to spend time with both your and your BF's family. Awww, I'm glad she was cute :smile2:!

 

14 hours ago, frankie said:

I also finally got my bed that I ordered online, so that's great :D I don't have to sleep on a mattress, on the floor, anymore! :D Wohoo!! 

 

Yay :D!

 

14 hours ago, frankie said:

No worries, of course you don't have to post about all of your acquired books! :)  But I'm happy you received the book :smile2:

 

Me too :)!

 

14 hours ago, frankie said:

I have to say, and this is off-topic, but I love the design on the fabric on which you put the book. Is it a chair or an ottoman or something? :wub:

 

It's my table cloth :). It's from France, we found it at a local market in the south of France (my parents gifted it to me for my birthday last year, after I had picked it during our holiday in France). I love it too :wub:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, frankie said:

How long do you think it would take you to acquire 500 new titles :D

 

Eep ! Maybe 3 years ? :ph34r:

 

Hurray for your new bed ! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Athena said:

 

I'm glad you are having a good time :D. It's nice you got to spend time with both your and your BF's family. Awww, I'm glad she was cute :smile2:!

 

I was rather nervous about him meeting my parents, more nervous than he was, I think :D I don't know why, BF gets along with all kinds of people. 

 

7 hours ago, Athena said:

It's my table cloth :). It's from France, we found it at a local market in the south of France (my parents gifted it to me for my birthday last year, after I had picked it during our holiday in France). I love it too :wub:.

 

It being a table cloth makes way more sense, actually! I don't know why I thought it might be an ottoman. Maybe because I used to have one and I would take pictures of books on it :D It's such a beautiful table cloth! :wub:

 

51 minutes ago, Little Pixie said:

 

Eep ! Maybe 3 years ? :ph34r:

 

:lol: Let's see about this in 2021! :D

 

51 minutes ago, Little Pixie said:

 

Hurray for your new bed ! :D

 

Yes, hurray for my new bed! :D Now I need to find a new bed cover and sidetables! I've never had a sidetable, I've always just had a chair next to my bed, but now I really really want sidetables! This home of mine is starting to come together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, frankie said:

:lol: Let's see about this in 2021! :D

 

Yes, hurray for my new bed! :D Now I need to find a new bed cover and sidetables! I've never had a sidetable, I've always just had a chair next to my bed, but now I really really want sidetables! This home of mine is starting to come together. 

 

Yes - I may have discovered a whole new way of counting books by then ; I already don`t count Kindle books ( cos they`re imaginary, obvs ) , I might not count books with vowels in thier title next. Anything to find a book-buying loophole. :haha:

 

Also, yay for BF and family visits. :D

 

Bedside table are great - you can stack books, radios and clocks and lamps on top, and you have drawers to hide more books and gum/mints for eating whilst reading. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, frankie said:

 

Now I'm really curious! Tell me more :D

 

Only that I'm a compulsive acquirer of books!  I'm having to really work at not accumulating more, but find them near irresistible.  Recently, I've done a huge amount of thinning out and downsizing, but still have some 1400+ on the TBR list, and around 3000 books on the shelves. 

Edited by willoyd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20.7.2018 at 7:43 PM, Little Pixie said:

 

Yes - I may have discovered a whole new way of counting books by then ; I already don`t count Kindle books ( cos they`re imaginary, obvs ) , I might not count books with vowels in thier title next. Anything to find a book-buying loophole. :haha:

 

:lol:  Oh yes! Vowels, consonants, be gone! :D 

 

On 20.7.2018 at 7:43 PM, Little Pixie said:


Bedside table are great - you can stack books, radios and clocks and lamps on top, and you have drawers to hide more books and gum/mints for eating whilst reading. :)

 

This is exactly what I want. But mostly, it's to stack books on :D  I might just buy a new bookcase and call it a bedside table :lol:

 

 

On 20.7.2018 at 7:45 PM, willoyd said:

 

Only that I'm a compulsive acquirer of books!  I'm having to really work at not accumulating more, but find them near irresistible.  Recently, I've done a huge amount of thinning out and downsizing, but still have some 1400+ on the TBR list, and around 3000 books on the shelves. 

 

That's a massive TBR list! Especially since you've downsized a lot recently. I do wonder where the TBR was standing before! A library of 3000 books is very admirable :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/07/2018 at 8:13 PM, frankie said:

That's a massive TBR list! Especially since you've downsized a lot recently. I do wonder where the TBR was standing before! A library of 3000 books is very admirable :wub:

 

I've always taken Umberto Eco's line on this (quoted in Black Swan) - it's simply a library of knowledge  that I've yet to tap into. His attitude was that read books are far less valuable than unread ones.  So, the TBR list was very similar before - almost all of the books I disposed of were books I'd read.  Most of the TBR list is non-fiction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frankie - Your Books read list and TBR are a couple of the most impressive lists that I have seen. That said, I wonder if I missed seeing two of John Steinbeck's books on either list. I see where you thought highly of Cannery Row and wonder why you haven't read Tortilla Flats or Sweet Thursday which both take place near Monterrey, California. I also don't see anything by Cormac McCarthy who is maybe the greatest living author in the USA. I may have overlooked all three books as your lists are really extensive and packed with outstanding books.

 

Kinda off topic. I spent a long weekend in Monterrey, California and had a fabulous dinner on Cannery Row. We were racing at Laguna Seca. We had our race car on Cannery Row as a promotion and our driver was interviewed by the newspaper. This was a long time ago back in 2000. . :)

Edited by muggle not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5.8.2018 at 3:20 AM, muggle not said:

Frankie - Your Books read list and TBR are a couple of the most impressive lists that I have seen.

 

Thank you muggle not! :smile2:  And I'm sorry for not having responded to this earlier! I think finding out that the forum would shut down made me a little sad (well, obviously) and I kept coming on here regularly when it was still up and running before things took another turn. 

 

Quote

 

That said, I wonder if I missed seeing two of John Steinbeck's books on either list. I see where you thought highly of Cannery Row and wonder why you haven't read Tortilla Flats or Sweet Thursday which both take place near Monterrey, California.

 

No, you didn't miss them! The thing is, I had a copy of Cannery Row which also included Sweet Thursday. I really liked Cannery Row, but for some reason I didn't move on to ST straight after that. Then I gave the copy away because it was a secondhand book and in Finnish and I thought I'd rather re-read CR in English first and then move on to ST after that, in the original language. But I never got around to it! :(  I have been intending to read Tortilla Flats, as well, but I haven't gotten around to that, either! I think the biggest problem is that I don't read that many classics these days, I feel like they are too difficult for me at the moment. I fear that my brain can't take it. But maybe I'm overly cautious and should just trust my brain... 

 

Edit: I was watching the Finnish version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire a week ago, and one of the questions was, 'Who wrote The Grapes of Wrath?'. I don't expect everyone to know the answer, but the contestant had a master's degree and had studied literature, so I fully expected him to know the stuff! He went with William Faulkner :roll:

 

Quote

I also don't see anything by Cormac McCarthy who is maybe the greatest living author in the USA. I may have overlooked all three books as your lists are really extensive and packed with outstanding books.

 

I've been meaning to read The Road, it's been on my mental wishlist for some years, but in the past years I've started to avoid books that deal with terminal illnesses and doom and gloom because they make me too sad :unsure:  You are welcome to recommend something else by Cormac McCarthy, though! :)

 

Quote

Kinda off topic. I spent a long weekend in Monterrey, California and had a fabulous dinner on Cannery Row. We were racing at Laguna Seca. We had our race car on Cannery Row as a promotion and our driver was interviewed by the newspaper. This was a long time ago back in 2000. . :)

 

That's amazing! :smile2:  It must be thrilling to be able to visit places you've read about in classic books, it will give you a better perspective! 

Edited by frankie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been busy with stuff, so haven't been on here for a few weeks or so. The way I go about things is I click on unread content and read the new posts people have written after my last visit. I was going to do the same today, as I have plenty of free time on my hands, but I accidentally marked the whole forum read, when I was supposed to mark the games and quizzes section to be read. :thud::D   Now there's all sorts of new stuff in all different threads and I will never know any of that!! Why am I such a klutz! I had really looked forward to getting into the unread content! 

 

 

Edit: Haha, I figured a way! I went and asked the forum to show me all content (that I'd 'read') in the past x days and now I can view all threads that have had activity since I've been gone!

Edited by frankie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, frankie said:

Edit: I was watching the Finnish version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire a week ago, and one of the questions was, 'Who wrote The Grapes of Wrath?'. I don't expect everyone to know the answer, but the contestant had a master's degree and had studied literature, so I fully expected him to know the stuff! He went with William Faulkner :roll:

 

That seems stupid :roll:. I haven't read the book and have little interest in John Steinbeck or classics, and I would've known.. You'd expect more from someone who's studied literature..

 

6 hours ago, frankie said:

Edit: Haha, I figured a way! I went and asked the forum to show me all content (that I'd 'read') in the past x days and now I can view all threads that have had activity since I've been gone!

 

Yay :friends3: !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Athena said:

 

That seems stupid :roll:. I haven't read the book and have little interest in John Steinbeck or classics, and I would've known.. You'd expect more from someone who's studied literature..

 

Exactly! :yes: 

 

On another note, I've done a massive cull on my wishlist (fiction). I've had the wishlist for so long and I couldn't say what most of the books on it were about and where I'd gotten the idea to read them. I saved the full list on my computer and then did the cull on the list on the first page of this thread. It's so short, it's refreshing :D I'm going to do the same with my non-fiction wishlist. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's so easy to let your wishlist go crazy isn't it!? I sometimes go to add a book to mine and realise I already put it on there years ago! :blush: So congratulations on your nice neat wishlist now, it must be nice :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done on the wishlist culling :)!

 

I should do something like that too some time. I kind of put my old wishlist, in stasis, and started anew. But I do have the old list still (it's on GR too). It's just.. there's so much on there and I don't remember a lot of it nor am I interested, so it'd take some time and energy to go through it. Instead I just started over with a wishlist on a Dutch website I often use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, the wish list - every readers nightmare!

I've refused to make one for several years now. Of course, the result of that is; I walk into a bookshop and think " what was that book called? You know, the one by the author whose name I can't remember"!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/11/2018 at 3:44 AM, frankie said:

On another note, I've done a massive cull on my wishlist (fiction). I've had the wishlist for so long and I couldn't say what most of the books on it were about and where I'd gotten the idea to read them. I saved the full list on my computer and then did the cull on the list on the first page of this thread. It's so short, it's refreshing :D I'm going to do the same with my non-fiction wishlist. 

 

Oh wow! I've just been to check out your new and improved wishlists. They're so tiny! :o I've been inspired by you to do some culling of my wishlist on the Book Depository, where I keep my main wishlist. Well, I've started the cull, but still have some way to go. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24.11.2018 at 9:23 PM, Hayley said:

It's so easy to let your wishlist go crazy isn't it!? I sometimes go to add a book to mine and realise I already put it on there years ago! :blush: So congratulations on your nice neat wishlist now, it must be nice :lol:

 

:D:D  I have to say, for some reason I do tend to remember if I've already added a title on my wishlist or not, but then if I had to say why I'd added a certain title, it's recently become more and more difficult! :blush:  I used to organize my wishlist a lot and I used to remember more about it, but these days there are just too many books on my TBR pile there's no use in dreaming about wishlist books :D

 

On 25.11.2018 at 6:12 PM, Athena said:

Well done on the wishlist culling :)!

 

Thanks! It felt amazing :D:D 

 

On 25.11.2018 at 6:12 PM, Athena said:

 

I should do something like that too some time. I kind of put my old wishlist, in stasis, and started anew. But I do have the old list still (it's on GR too). It's just.. there's so much on there and I don't remember a lot of it nor am I interested, so it'd take some time and energy to go through it. Instead I just started over with a wishlist on a Dutch website I often use.

 

I think that's the way to go, having the old list as a back up list, and starting anew. If one feels nervous about doing a cull... And yes, it takes a lot of time to go over the list! The further I got, the more easily I started just deleting titles :D

On 26.11.2018 at 2:59 PM, ian said:

Ah, the wish list - every readers nightmare!

I've refused to make one for several years now. Of course, the result of that is; I walk into a bookshop and think " what was that book called? You know, the one by the author whose name I can't remember"!

 

:lol:  You should then come on BCF and start a thread to ask "Hey what's that title of the book, one of you must know what I'm talking about?!"

 

On 8.12.2018 at 5:15 AM, Kylie said:

 

Oh wow! I've just been to check out your new and improved wishlists. They're so tiny! :o I've been inspired by you to do some culling of my wishlist on the Book Depository, where I keep my main wishlist. Well, I've started the cull, but still have some way to go. :)

 

Yep, the lists are so tiny! :D Glad to have inspired you :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry I've been missing in action, it's just been busy towards the end of the year, and I haven't felt very energetic, probably because of lack of light. December did cheer me up what with all the festivities, and now I'm really eager about this new year! 

To summarize 2018, reading-wise... 

 

It was a crappy year! I had no mojo in the early months of the year, which made me sad. Frankie was sad. :(  :D  I also became involved with my BF who took up some of my time, and then I suffered from a bout of depression, which I felt was unexpected. I'm much better now, thanks to online therapy (they didn't have the resources for live therapy at that point in time). 
 

At the start of the year my goal for books read was 100 as it always is, but I soon figured that was going to be impossible and uninspiring instead of encouraging. Towards the end of the year I decided it would be nice to read 36 books, which is one more than last year. But it wasn't to be :D But I'm not that bothered. 

 

Here are the books I read this year: 

 

 1. Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella (re-read) 2/5  - thoughts

 2. Dumplin' by Julie Murphy 3/5  - thoughts

 3. Lukot by Pauliina Susi  3/5  - thoughts

 4. Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi (re-read) 4/5   - thoughts

 5. The Widow by Fiona Barton 4/5  - thoughts 

 6. The Cold Song by Linn Ullmann 3/5  - thoughts

 7. Pormestari by Herman Koch 2/5 - thoughts 

 8. The Secret of Happy Ever After by Lucy Dillon (re-read) 5/5  - thoughts 

 9. Surprise Me by Sophie Kinsella 3/5 - thoughts 

10. The Beach House by Jane Green 3/5 - thoughts 

11. Kaikki anteeksi by Laura Manninen 4/5 - thoughts 

12. Wedding Ring by Emilie Richards 4/5 - thoughts

13. Keskivaikea vuosi by Pauliina Vanhatalo 3/5

14. Särkyneen pyörän karjatila by Peter Franzén  4/5

15. Jemima J by Jane Green (re-read) 

16. How Do You Like Me Now by Holly Bourne 3/5 

17. The Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter 4/5

18. The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman 4/5

19. The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson 4/5

20. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson 4/5

21. Sivuhenkilö by Saara Turunen 5/5

22. Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman 5/5

23. Under the Influence by Joyce Maynard 3/5

24. In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware 1/5

25. Kosteusvaurioita by Ani Kellomäki 2/5 

26. Upstairs at the Party by Linda Grant 2/5 

27. Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House by Michael Wolff 3/5 

28. The Perfect Couple by Elin Hilderbrand 4/5 

29. Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty 3/5

30. The Rise and Fall of Becky Sharp by Sarra Manning 2/5

31. Nepsyt by Essi Jäntti & Riitta Savinainen (editors)  4/5 

32. Ei muisteta pahalla by Veera Nieminen 4/5

33. Korkeampi oikeus by Hjorth & Rosenfeldt 3/5

34. Ehkä tänä kesänä kaikki muuttuu by Sisko Savonlahti 3/5

35. Rouva C. by Minna Rytisalo 4/5

 

 

I read 11 books off TBR pile, and 20 library books. Average rating was 3,25 if I counted correctly. What I'm most happy about my reading is that I managed so many books off my TBR pile. 27 books were written by female authors, and only 8 were by male authors! :o  And looking back, I read 10 books by Finnish authors, which I think is actually the happiest thing about my read books this year. That's well above my average year. 

 

I'm off to make a 2019 reading log, and then I hope to have some time to go through unread threads on the forum! :smile2:

Happy New Year and Happy Reading, folks! :friends3:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×