Claire's Book List 2018

chesilbeach

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

That brings my total books read this year to a nice round 100.  Have been online much less recently hence the lack of reviews and posts here, but also the increased reading!  

As we're halfway through the year, here are my year to date stats too:

Books read: 100

Pages read: 32493

Authors: Female 69, Male 31

Fiction: 78  Non-fiction: 22

That's going some - well done. Better than my best full year ever!  Particularly so given that you're still keeping your average per book well over 300 - whilst I'm doing that fairly easily this year, that's because I've been deliberately targeting some of my backlog of bigger books; usually it's round about (and just below) 300.  All together it shows what one can do if not going on line!

Interested, as ever, to see your other stats too.  I've commented before, but your female:male ratio is almost the exact mirror image of mine (10:21).  We're more similar on the fiction:non-fiction numbers, but I usually regard myself as reading more non-fiction than the majority.  Is this because of your Wainwright reading, or are there other influences?

Anyway, hope you have as good a second half as first. 

• 1 month later...

I don't know whether you're still reading this Claire given the gap in your posts - are you posting anywhere by the way? - but I see that Adam Nicholson's The Seabird's Cry won the Wainwright Prize this year.  I haven't read a lot of the others, but I have read this, and have to say it's one of the best bird/nature books I've read in a long while; seems a worthy winner.

On 04/08/2018 at 10:09 AM, willoyd said:

I don't know whether you're still reading this Claire given the gap in your posts - are you posting anywhere by the way? - but I see that Adam Nicholson's The Seabird's Cry won the Wainwright Prize this year.  I haven't read a lot of the others, but I have read this, and have to say it's one of the best bird/nature books I've read in a long while; seems a worthy winner.

Hello, I’m still reading, just haven’t been posting much.  I’m am on Goodreads although I tend to rate rather than write reviews there, but I also tweet and post about books on Instagram too (where I probably say more than on Goodreads!).

I finished The Seabird’s Cry the evening before the winner was announced. I did enjoy it a lot, but my favourites from the shortlist were The Salt Path and Hidden Nature, but I suspect they were both quite similar types of books to The Outrun from a couple of years ago, and I wonder if they didn’t want to pick a similar book so close to that win.  I thought this year was really strong - I’ve still got one of the long listed books left to read - but there hasn’t been a book I haven’t enjoyed this year, so I have no problem with my favourites not winning :D 

On 06/08/2018 at 4:43 PM, chesilbeach said:

Hello, I’m still reading, just haven’t been posting much.  I’m am on Goodreads although I tend to rate rather than write reviews there, but I also tweet and post about books on Instagram too (where I probably say more than on Goodreads!).

I finished The Seabird’s Cry the evening before the winner was announced. I did enjoy it a lot, but my favourites from the shortlist were The Salt Path and Hidden Nature, but I suspect they were both quite similar types of books to The Outrun from a couple of years ago, and I wonder if they didn’t want to pick a similar book so close to that win.  I thought this year was really strong - I’ve still got one of the long listed books left to read - but there hasn’t been a book I haven’t enjoyed this year, so I have no problem with my favourites not winning :D 

Oddly, I browsed The Salt Path in our local bookshop for some time a couple of weeks ago, and it didn't grab me at all, rather the opposite.  Oddly in the context of your reply because I gave The Outrun a full 6*.  I haven't tried Hidden Nature yet, although it's on my wishlist - I'm just hoping that her book is better than the fairly awful session on her book that she was involved in at the Ilkley Literature Festival last year, which was enough to put me off (although others liked it) - I'm just hoping that it was down to the interviewer not the interviewee.