Round Robin Year-long Challenge

willoyd

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Little Pixie, I'd like to challenge you to A Far Cry from Kensington by Muriel Spark.  I've mentioned the Backlisted podcast before, and they chose one of her books as their subject in one episode, so she's on my list of authors to read, and this one sounds really good, and I'd like to know what you think of it. :) 

2 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

@Little Pixie, I'd like to challenge you to A Far Cry from Kensington by Muriel Spark.  I've mentioned the Backlisted podcast before, and they chose one of her books as their subject in one episode, so she's on my list of authors to read, and this one sounds really good, and I'd like to know what you think of it. :) 

Oooh, goody. :D 

Hello everyone, nice to see you choosing books for each other already! :D 

As for me, I've had an annoying week at work and I've not had time to get involved with this challenge yet. I'll be leaving for my home town early tomorrow morning, and I'll be away for the holidays. 

I hope you guys don't mind that I've not gone through any of your lists yet, but will do so next week! I will then also add my list to the thread or provide a link, and then you'll be able to choose books for me, too! :smile2:

I'm looking forward to catching up with you after the holidays! I hope you all have a happy time :smile2:

No panic Frankie - the challenge itself doesn't start until the New Year, and we can all get going on other books anyway.  Indeed, if anybody else wants to join in the first few weeks of the year, it would work OK.  Thanks for letting us know anyway - always better!

Edited by willoyd

7 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Thanks Will for all your hard work on this, and thank you for posting links to everyone's lists - makes it much easier!:readingtwo:

3 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Thanks Will. :D 

A pleasure!  A good selection of books too - there's quite a few between others which are either on my TBR list, or which I've enjoyed a lot in the past!

1 minute ago, karen.d said:

I'm still interested in joining in, just need to write my TBR list! Where can I post it?

Have you got a book blog thread or a members thread here? I don’t have a goodreads or LibraryThing account, so I’ve just put mine on my book blog thread here on the forum :)

33 minutes ago, chesilbeach said:

Yes, whenever you’re ready.  I’ve set up mine today, but won’t be updating the books read etc until the new year. 

Thanks, I've just set up mine on a separate thread! Have some to add to the list though.

4 hours ago, karen.d said:

Thanks, I've just set up mine on a separate thread! Have some to add to the list though.

So glad you're still up for this.  I've put the link in to the post with your TBR list with the other links in the first post on this thread.  Please let me know if I've got it wrong.  Please also let us know when you've added those extra ones.  Looking at your list so far, you never know, Stephen King may feature in some of your challenges!  ;)

Edited by willoyd

12 hours ago, willoyd said:

So glad you're still up for this.  I've put the link in to the post with your TBR list with the other links in the first post on this thread.  Please let me know if I've got it wrong.  Please also let us know when you've added those extra ones.  Looking at your list so far, you never know, Stephen King may feature in some of your challenges!  ;)

I see my name next to the others on the first page, so thanks! I've finished my TBR list now. I love Stephen King, so I'm looking forward to being challenged with one of his books. I'm desperately trying to finish 'Wolves of The Calla', before the New Year :readingtwo:

2 hours ago, karen.d said:

I see my name next to the others on the first page, so thanks! I've finished my TBR list now. I love Stephen King, so I'm looking forward to being challenged with one of his books. I'm desperately trying to finish 'Wolves of The Calla', before the New Year :readingtwo:

I thought I'd put the link in, but hadn't (must have forgotten to save the edit!), but it's sorted now!  Sorry, I'm not going to challenge you with a Stephen King, as I'm trying to challenge everybody with books that are also on my TBR list, so that I can give those a go as well (hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew).  We don't have a huge amount common to both lists, but there are a couple, and one is Winter in Madrid by CJ Sansom, so that's what I'm going to challenge you with!  Hope it proves a good read for both of us.

3 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

@karen.d I’d like to challenge you to The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I’ve picked it up a few times but never bought it, so would be interested to know if you think it’s worth it! :) 

1 hour ago, willoyd said:

I thought I'd put the link in, but hadn't (must have forgotten to save the edit!), but it's sorted now!  Sorry, I'm not going to challenge you with a Stephen King, as I'm trying to challenge everybody with books that are also on my TBR list, so that I can give those a go as well (hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew).  We don't have a huge amount common to both lists, but there are a couple, and one is Winter in Madrid by CJ Sansom, so that's what I'm going to challenge you with!  Hope it proves a good read for both of us.

Which one do I choose! I think I will choose 'Night Circus-' first, then 'Winter In Madrid'

Chesilbeach I challenge you to Winter by Ali Smith and Willoyd I challenge you to read 'I am Pilgrim', that's if you haven't been challenged already!

3 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

1 hour ago, willoyd said:

Edited by karen.d

2 hours ago, karen.d said:

Chesilbeach I challenge you to Winter by Ali Smith and Willoyd I challenge you to read 'I am Pilgrim', that's if you haven't been challenged already!

Thanks karen.  I've added your challenge to my list here. It looks a great list, with lots of variety.  I'm also looking forward to tackling a few of my bigger books next year, so this fits in beautifully with that.  I think I'll probably make it one of my early ones on the challenge - it's certainly not one to leave until late on!

48 minutes ago, Little Pixie said:

karen d. , I`ve picked John Buchan`s The 39 Steps as your challenge. :)

Thanks for the challenge! I challenge you to read   The Time Traveller`s Wife - Audrey Niffeneggar. I really enjoyed this one, I hope you do too!

On 12/20/2017 at 6:24 PM, Alexi said:

Brilliant, thank you!

Great challenge, thank you! That one has been languishing on the TBR for a few years now but I keep looking at it and thinking it sounds like a good read so hopefully one that will prove a great 2018 choice. Looks like I'll be joining you on the Waters too....

Thank you- I've heard lots of good things about her so time I judged for myself!

I challenge you to read 'The Hunger Games' by Suzanne Collins!