• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
Ambarking

Can anyone help me find out why this book is worth so much?

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to look at my post. 

I do house clearances for a living, and often have to remove lost of books from repossessed houses, I normally just scan these into Music Magpie and send them off to them to be resold. But during my last "scanning session" one of the books I scanned which was  "German Grammar Simplified" by John Gerhard came up at £35, which is unheard, too put this in context most of the books go for 20p. 

So I searched for it on eBay and there are a few listed for over £360. So I was hoping someone out there could give me some history of the book and why it seems to be going for so much money. As I don't seem to be able to find much info online. 

Thanks in advance for any information. 

John 

Edited by Michelle
Link removed

I don't know anything about that particular book but have found that old text books generally can have a very high value. I did a quick search on a university library catalogue and it looks like Gerhard might have quite a few academic publications on German grammar. If he's quite eminent in his field and the book, being older, is out of print and hard to find, that would explain it.

There is absolutely no reason that book should be worth more than a few bucks. Advertising it for a high price may just mean the seller doesn't know it's true value, or he's trying to part a fool from his money

Hello Folks

This is my first post so please be gentle.

Ditto Litwitlou. A book of mine (that shall remain nameless because I'm not here to flog books), non-fiction published in 1999, one edition, one printing sells new on Amazon.co.uk for £9.99 and used - good condition on Amazon.com is on offer for £176.08.

I don't understand it either.

All the best with your reading.

Warmest regards

Riis

That sort of thing happens quite often.  Could be a mistake when typing in and not noticed (especially if doing a lot of books), could be somebody trying to pull a fast one (I've seen that a lot, particularly from one reseller, with Folio Society books) just to catch the odd one out, it could be that it's the hardback of the paperback, etc etc.  I just treat them all as odd anomalies.