Little Pixie

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:(

Maybe on a more positive note, how is Xiao-Xiao?

She`s lovely. :D She`s outside atm - she hasn`t been able to go out for a few days, cos she says it`s too cold for her ( +2C ) - but the sun  is catually ( I meant to write actually, but this fits :giggle: ) shining and she`s outside on the balcony, enjoying herself. :)

I`m just off to put out more bird food ; I got suet balls this year ( no idea if you have them : it`s a mix of seeds and beef tallow, which the smaller birds like ) and something with mealworms . :)

She`s lovely. :D She`s outside atm - she hasn`t been able to go out for a few days, cos she says it`s too cold for her ( +2C ) - but the sun  is catually ( I meant to write actually, but this fits :giggle: ) shining and she`s outside on the balcony, enjoying herself. :)

I'm glad she's fine :). Catually :giggle2:.

I`m just off to put out more bird food ; I got suet balls this year ( no idea if you have them : it`s a mix of seeds and beef tallow, which the smaller birds like ) and something with mealworms . :)

We have suet balls too! We call them 'fat balls' in Dutch ('vetbollen' to be precise) :). I love seeing the little birds eating it. In addition to the suet ball, I hung up some peanuts too.

We have fat balls here, and suet cakes too, a similar thing but in a block, they do them with mealworms but I'm a bit squeamish about those :o  :giggle:

I was, too, but I can`t see anything wriggling. ;)  The birdies haven`t shown any interest in the mealworms yet ; I might move the block next week to another position. :)

I'm glad she's fine :). Catually :giggle2:.

We have suet balls too! We call them 'fat balls' in Dutch ('vetbollen' to be precise) :). I love seeing the little birds eating it. In addition to the suet ball, I hung up some peanuts too.

:D  I`ve got the usual wild bird seed hanging up, too. Do the birds like the peanuts ? :)

Haha yes, so if it stays relatively warm for some time I've heard it's better to stop giving them food and let them find their own. I think though it could be cold again in a while.

We have the opposite - it was +2C, but now the news says ` Caribbean vortex on the way - 17C possible ! `  :doh:

Books read : 40                        TBR 883              New Books Bought : 34                       Total Cost :     £80.82

I may have ordered some books.  :blush2:

The Wells Bequest - Polly Shulman

13 White Tulips, The Yellow Violet, Murder on the Purple Water, The Golden Box - Frances Crane      £18.69 altogether. :)

Edited by Little Pixie

Getting up to date with reviews :

#32,#33    The Amethyst Spectacles, The Coral Princess Murders - Frances Crane

Pat and Jean Abbot mystery series, from the 1940s onwards. Set in exotic locales - here it`s Taos and Tangier - the husband and wife team get involved in solving murders. Fun reads, with lovely descriptions of the location, though sometimes the endings are a bit convoluted.

#34, #35,#36,#37,#38    Changes, Ghost Story, Side Jobs, Cold Case, Skin Game  - Jim Butcher

Books from The Dresden Files, Book 12 onwards, so no synopses `cos of spoilers. Harry Dresden - Chicago Wizard - has adventures which are thrilling, funny, scary and ultimately uplifting. In other words -  I liked them. They wuz good.  :giggle2:

A particular heads-up for Side Jobs, which has Dresden short stories ( and shouldn`t be read till you`ve read the books, cos of big spoilers). The short stories are excellent ; I`ve read so many short stories which are run reads, but which don`t really add to the series. These, however, are such an integral part of the Dresden Files - and I enjoyed them so much, too.  :smile:

#39   The Mortal Instruments 1 : City of Bones - Cassandra Clare

Bleah. I really wanted to like this, but it just didn`t gel for me. ;( I liked the characters and the humour, but I just got bogged down with the place descriptions ( I could never visualise a room or other location she was describing, and because of that, felt that I wasn`t involved in the story ). 

#40   The Grimm Legacy - Polly Shulman

Urban fantasy which starts off as YA and ends up as a childrens` book. New York High Schooler Elizabeth gets a part time job offer through one of her teachers, after he`s impressed by a paper she wrote on Grimm`s stories. She has a somewhat strange interview at a (sort of) Library and finds herself working in a Repository, where it`s not just books which are loaned out, and where there`s a secret, much talked about Grimm Section. A fun page turner. :)

#41   The Rabbit Back Literature Society - Pasi Ilamri Jaaskelainen

Hmm, trying to describe this, I`d call it a Finnish Twin Peaks. :smile:  Literature teacher Ella gets one of her stories published in the local paper, is asked to join the local Lit. Society and ends up getting sucked into the mysteries surrounding it. It`s a strange, heightened reality page turner, with a touch of magic.

Thanks to Frankie for recommending this great book. 

We put fat balls out for the birds in my garden last year and ended up with a family of starlings all over the table and chairs. It was very cute seeing the mom putting the food into all the upturned beaks but we went through a LOT of fat balls  :D.

I'm glad to see you liked the later Dresden Files books, I'm nowhere near the twelfth yet but it's nice to know I'm in for some good ones when I do get there! I can't wait to read the short stories either. I wish I didn't have to wait so long!

It's a shame you didn't really like City of Bones. To each their own, I guess :).

I'm glad you enjoyed The Rabbit Back Literature Society :). I bought it recently based on Frankie's recommendation.

We`ve got low water pressure atm - just looked online and there are repair works going on - life`s so much simpler with t`internet. :)

I hope it will be fixed soon :(! Good that they're repairing it! It's so nice having the internet to look up things like that :).

Books read : 40 TBR 883 New Books Bought : 34 Total Cost : £80.82

I may have ordered some books. :blush2:

The Wells Bequest - Polly Shulman

13 White Tulips, The Yellow Violet, Murder on the Purple Water, The Golden Box - Frances Crane £18.69 altogether. :)

Bit of a colour theme there, a new book challenge?! Hope you enjoy them all, when you get around to them of course! :)

We put fat balls out for the birds in my garden last year and ended up with a family of starlings all over the table and chairs. It was very cute seeing the mom putting the food into all the upturned beaks but we went through a LOT of fat balls  :D.

Awww. :) All the new bird food is keeping my cat amused.  :giggle2:  ( She`s a bird watcher, doesn`t do much hunting. ;))

I'm glad to see you liked the later Dresden Files books, I'm nowhere near the twelfth yet but it's nice to know I'm in for some good ones when I do get there! I can't wait to read the short stories either. I wish I didn't have to wait so long!

I had a Dresden binge :D  ; now I keep checking to see if there`s a release date for the next one.  :lurker: