#61 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,529 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:12 AM

Nice to learn that :)!

We don't either :). It's 'januari' and 'maandag'. Christmas is written with a capital though, 'Kerstmis'.

That's so cool that you also have the months and days without the capital letter! :smile2: I didn't know that! :) I like the sound of Kerstmis, I love the spelling :) 

#62 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,782 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:22 PM

Wishing you a wonderful year of reading, Janet.  :smile:

Thanks, Chrissy. :)

Janet, that's a gorgeous Kindle cover! Claire is really talented :).

I'm glad you had a good time meeting up and I hope you enjoy your new books :).

Thanks, Gaia. :)

Actually, now that I think about it, I do recall seeing one other Kindle case (?) that she made for someone, it was a blue one? I was blown by it then, too, but I never commented because I was reading through the logs in a hurry :blush: Claire's very talented! :smile2:

I do have an other non-Christmassy case that Claire made me - it's gorgeous too - black and white fabric with script on it. It's been admired so much, and several people have asked me where they could buy one. :)

#63 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,782 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:22 PM

What, there are other forums out there? :o :D I know gorgeouser is not a word, but as you used TM after it, I thought maybe it was a trademark. As TM would suggest :D Yes, it would normally have the capital G, but I thought maybe it's a very chic brand with an innovative way of writing English words :D

I've heard there are one or two others! :D Sorry again for the confusion.

Well here's more alien concepts: we also use no capitals for months or weekdays: tammikuu is January, maanantai is Monday :)

What?! You crazy Finns! :D

Confused? You won't be after this episode of....

:lol: :wub:

Christmas is written with a capital though, 'Kerstmis'.

I like Kerstmis!

#64 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,529 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:03 AM

What?! You crazy Finns! :D

Apparently we crazy Finns are keeping good company with the Dutch! :D  :alc:    There will be a revolution....! 

#65 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,220 posts
  • Reading now?:Cogheart by Peter Bunzl

Posted 14 January 2017 - 04:18 PM

Here are a few more pictures of the Kindle case (because I'm so chuffed with it).

Thanks for posting the photos of the case for me, Janet - I can't believe I forgot to take some pics of it myself :doh: 

Oh what a gorgeous Kindle case! :wub: And it's so you! :D   (I took a closer look at it, and there's Merry Christmas in Finnish on it, too! :smile2: 'Hyvää joulua')

I love looking at all the languages on that fabric - I can also see Nollaig on there! :lol:

#66 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,782 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 14 January 2017 - 04:40 PM

Apparently we crazy Finns are keeping good company with the Dutch! :D  :alc:    There will be a revolution....!

I think we're pretty much all crazy here! :D

Thanks for posting the photos of the case for me, Janet - I can't believe I forgot to take some pics of it myself :doh: 

I love looking at all the languages on that fabric - I can also see Nollaig on there! :lol:

You're welcome. :)   I spotted Nollaig too.  In Christmas 2015 Noll's card had a stamp on that said Nollaig.  I shared it on Facebook saying what a lovely personalised stamp it was!  Even though I knew what it meant, I'd forgotten and thought Noll had the stamps made just for her!  :lol: 

#67 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,782 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:29 PM

Book #5

005-2017-Jan-10-Walking%20Away_zpsnmkg2u

Walking Away by Simon Armitage

The ‘blurb’
Not content with walking the Pennine Way as a modern day troubadour, an experience recounted in his bestseller and prize-wining Walking Home, the restless poet has followed up that journey with a walk of the same distance but through the very opposite terrain and direction far from home.

In Walking Away Simon Armitage swaps the moorland uplands of the north for the coastal fringes of Britain's south west, once again giving readings every night, but this time through Somerset, Devon and Cornwall, taking poetry into distant communities and tourist hot-spots, busking his way from start to finsh.

From the surreal pleasuredome of Minehead Butlins to a smoke-filled roundhouse on the Penwith Peninsula then out to the Isles of Scilly and beyond, Armitage tackles this personal Odyssey with all the poetic reflection and personal wit we've come to expect of one of Britain's best loved and most popular writers.

In 2010, Simon Armitage – poet, author and university lecturer - set out to walk the Pennine Way… in the opposite direction from the way it's normally walked, walking from Scotland back to the village in which he was born. As a comparison to that inland walk, he decided in 2013 that he would walk again, this time in the South of the country using the South West Coast path from Minehead in Somerset to the Isles of Scilly at the southern-most point of England.

Starting his walk on Tuesday 27 August he is joined by various people on each section - some he knew (including, on a couple of occasions, his wife Sue) and some complete strangers who had read about the walk and wanted to join him. On his way he passes various points of interest including the church where the poet Sir John Betjemen is buried, Godrevy Lighthouse, the view of which inspired Virginia Woolf to write the novel To the Lighthouse and a plaque commemorating World War One poet Lawrence Binyon, who wrote 'For the Fallen', the poem from which the famous lines:

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

are taken, which he wrote whilst overlooking the sea in Cornwall.

In order to pay for his food and accommodation, his evenings are spent performing his poetry in a variety of establishments – from large private houses to crowded seaside pubs – and at the end of each performance a sock is passed round to enable the audience to give money… if they think he's worth it!

I'm not very familiar with Simon Armitage's poems – there are two or three poems in the book that he wrote about his trip – I really liked the one at the end Legends of the Crossings, about a river that obstructed him at one point.

I was looking forward to reading this book because, although I haven't walked the Coastal Path myself, I know quite a lot of the towns he stopped in along the way. I found it to be a bit repetitive on occasions and it felt as though his heart wasn't really in it. It was almost as though he just did the walk so that he could write a book at the end of it but didn't really have any enthusiasm for his task. That’s not to say I didn't enjoy it – I did – but I have read more animated travel books. This hasn't put me off reading Walking Home if I come across it on my travels – maybe he'll be more animated on his home turf. :)

005-2017-Jan-10-Walking%20Away%20Map_zps

Thanks to Kay for the loan of the book.  :friends3:

The paperback edition is 276 pages long and is published by Faber & Faber. It was first published in 2015. The ISBN is 9780571298365.

3/5 (I liked it)

(Finished 10 January 2017)

#68 Alexi

Alexi

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • Reading now?:Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:48 AM

Wow, what a pretty kindle case! Claire, you are amazingly talented. 

You are a reading machine so far this year, J :D 

#69 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,220 posts
  • Reading now?:Cogheart by Peter Bunzl

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:01 PM

Thank you everyone for the lovely comments (although all I did was follow a video and some instructions :giggle2:).

#70 chaliepud

chaliepud

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 4,568 posts
  • LocationLeafy Surrey

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:48 PM

Thank you everyone for the lovely comments (although all I did was follow a video and some instructions :giggle2:).

They are gorgeous Claire, it makes me wish I had a Kindle!  :blush2:

#71 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 11,891 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes.
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:42 PM

I think we're pretty much all crazy here! :D

You're welcome. :)   I spotted Nollaig too.  In Christmas 2015 Noll's card had a stamp on that said Nollaig.  I shared it on Facebook saying what a lovely personalised stamp it was!  Even though I knew what it meant, I'd forgotten and thought Noll had the stamps made just for her!  :lol:

Hahaha I'm not that full of myself :giggle:

Ahhhh yes! Nollaig Shona is on there! That's awesome! :lol: Absolutely beautiful case, Claire. Love that it buttons!

No, you employed talent, creativity and a flair for design with your gorgeous fabrics - take the compliment!

#72 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,782 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:37 PM

You are a reading machine so far this year, J :D

:D  Thanks!  I don't suppose it'll last, but it's good while it does!

Hahaha I'm not that full of myself :giggle:

Oooh no, I wasn't implying that!  The Royal Mail sell 'Smilers', which are personalised stamps - I thought you might have done that.   They cost about 20p each more than 'normal' first class stamps, mind you.  :o    The Irish stamps were gorgeous.  I've still got it!  :wub:

It was the top one of these... isn't it pretty. 

xNollaig%20stamp_zpsqo9blntp.jpg

#73 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 11,891 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes.
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted Yesterday, 08:31 AM

Haha awww I can't believe you still have it that's so sweet! Yes they were nice - I didn't really notice at the time hehehe!

#74 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,782 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted Yesterday, 09:48 PM

Haha awww I can't believe you still have it that's so sweet! Yes they were nice - I didn't really notice at the time hehehe!

It's so pretty! 

I went to Wells today and bought a couple of books with my vouchers. 

2.%20books_zpsnsegjzwa.jpg

This is Wells Cathedral (which has nothing to do with my book buying, but I love it so much, so I thought I'd post it!  :D

IMG_20170118_160154_zpsw0suqfkv.jpg

And this is St Cuthbert's.  If we have any Hot Fuzz fans (it's one of my favourite films!) this is the church where the fateful fete took place!  :D

_20170118_213139_zpsinvmfrbb.jpg

#75 Athena

Athena

Readaholic, BookWorm & BookEater

• Admin
  • 15,464 posts
  • LocationHelmond, the Netherlands

Posted Today, 09:40 AM

I love the film Hot Fuzz! Thanks for the photo of the church :D.

#76 Ben

Ben

Final Frontier

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts
  • Reading now?:Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada & Andrew Hurley's The Loney.
  • LocationWest Yorkshire.

Posted Today, 09:59 AM

Cool photos, Janet. Love Hot Fuzz. Completely bonkers film. :lol:

Interesting to see you've bought a Betjeman collection. One of my grandma's favourite poets - she absolutely loves his stuff. Enjoy your new books anyway. :yes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users