• Announcements

• Michelle

Important Announcement!   07/28/2018

Dear BCF members,   This forum has been running now for many years, and over that time we have seen many changes. Generalised forums are nowhere near as popular as they once were, and they have been very much taken over by blogs, vlogs and social media discussions. Running a forum well takes money, and a lot of care and attention, as there is so much which goes on behind the scenes to keep things running smoothly.   With all of this in mind, and after discussion within the current moderator team, the decision has been made to close this forum in its current format. I know that this will disappoint a lot of our long term members, but I want to reassure you that it's not a decision which has been taken lightly.    The remaining moderator team have agreed that we do not want to lose everything which is special about our home, and so we are starting a brand new facebook group, so that people can stay in touch, and discussions can continue. We can use it for free and should be easier for us to run (it won't need to be updated or hosted). We know not everyone has FaceBook, but we hope that those of you who are interested will join the group. We will share the link, and send invites as soon as we are ready to go. Added: We may as well get this going, find us here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195289821332924/   The forum will close to new registrations, but will remain open for some time, to allow people to collect up any information, reading lists etc they need to, and to ensure they have contact details for those they wish to stay in touch with.    The whole team feel sad to say goodbye, but we also feel that it's perhaps time and that it feels like the right choice. We hope we can stay in touch with all of you through our new FaceBook group.   I personally want to thank everyone who has helped me moderate the forum, both in the past and the present, and I also want to thank every single person who has visited, and shared their love of books.. I'm so proud of everything we've achieved, and the home we built.   Please visit the new section in the Lounge section to discuss this further, ask questions etc.
muggle not

Muggle Not's Reading - 2017

6. The Ranger - Ace Atkins - 7/10 - An ok read but was too similar to The Redeemers. Don't know which was written first. :) Enough of Atkins for now at least. 

E-Books I have on hold at the library:

The Hero of Ages – Brandon Sanderson  (#3 on hold list)

The Cold Dish – Craig Johnson (#5 on hold list)

No Man’s land – David Baldacci (#6 on hold list)

The Risen – Ron Rash (#10  on hold list)

The Whistler – John Grisham (#11 on hold list)

I plan on reading The Cold Dish this year too! Please post your thoughts :)

You've been reading a lot!

The Hero of Ages made me so emotional :D I hope you enjoy it!

The Hero of Ages made me so emotional :D I hope you enjoy it!

I am pretty sure I will love it as I really liked the previous two books of the Mistborn series.

7. Blackjack - Robert Knott - 7.5/10 - Robert Knott took over the writing of Robert. B. Parker's Western type books when Parker died. Parker's Westerns were exceptional but Knott's attempt at them are ok but not great. This is either the second or third of his I have read hoping they get better. Knott tries to duplicate Parker's writing style but doesn't accomplish it.

I plan on reading The Cold Dish this year too! Please post your thoughts :)

You've been reading a lot!

I got the idea of Cold Dish from you. :)

Yes, reading is going much better this year.

8. Steelheart - Brandon Sanderson - 8/10 - A very fast paced and enjoyable read. I immediately downloaded from the library the 2nd book in the Trilogy.

I requested the library to purchase "Gulag - A History" by Anne Applebaum. Liked the review by Anna and the comment by Little Pixie.

8. Steelheart - Brandon Sanderson - 8/10 - A very fast paced and enjoyable read. I immediately downloaded from the library the 2nd book in the Trilogy.

I requested the library to purchase "Gulag - A History" by Anne Applebaum. Liked the review by Anna and the comment by Little Pixie.

:)

I'm glad you enjoyed Steelheart, I hope you'll enjoy Firefight just as much :).

9. Firefight - Brandon Sanderson - 8/10 - I give Firefight the same rating as I gave Steelheart although I enjoyed Steelheart just a wee bit mor. Both books were fast paced and I will probably read the 3rd book (Calamity) in the Trilogy very soon, depending on my library holds of other books. :)

I'm glad to know you enjoyed Firefight :). You've read a lot of Sanderson's books this year!

I'm glad to know you enjoyed Firefight :). You've read a lot of Sanderson's books this year!

Only four. :) I intend to read 2 more of Sanderson's books and then will take a break from him for awhile. They have been good reading. Seems like I go through them pretty quickly. I started reading "Birds, Beasts and Relatives" by Gerald Durrell last night.

Edited by muggle not

10. Birds, Beasts and Relatives by Gerald Durrell - 9/10 - I really enjoyed this book, especially after I got into it somewhat. Durrell's writing is great and the story makes you wish that you could be there living with the family. I will read the 3rd book in the Corfu Trilogy after a little break.

10. Birds, Beasts and Relatives by Gerald Durrell - 9/10 - I really enjoyed this book, especially after I got into it somewhat. Durrell's writing is great and the story makes you wish that you could be there living with the family. I will read the 3rd book in the Corfu Trilogy after a little break.

Really glad you enjoyed this Muggle :)

I see where Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman is the #2 most popular book this week in the U.S. I tried to request our library to purchase it but I have already exceeded my requests for "purchase" at the library. :) Actually, I am surprised that the library doesn't already have the book.

I don't know how it works for other libraries, but for my own local library, it can take up to a few months after release, before the library has the book available (that I've seen). I hope your library will have the book eventually.

11. The Hero of Ages - Brandon Sanderson - 9/10 - Exceptional book and probably the best of the Trilogy. I rated the first 2 books a 8/10 but will give the Trilogy overall a 9/10. This book kept me on edge especially the last half of the book. Surprises were many. Like Sazed stated, there were parts of the book that got a little emotional.

So happy you liked it, it really is a fantastic series. I've just started The Alloy of Law and it feels so good to be back in this world :)

12. Calamity - Brandon Sanderson - 8/10 - An enjoyable read but the ending got a little confusing as he kept jumping back and forth between alternate "worlds and characters" in the story. This was book 3 of the "Reckoners" Trilogy. Overall a fairly good read but not as great as the Mistborn series.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Reckoners series. Shame it wasn't as good as Mistborn, but then I would personally not have expected it to be. I'm glad you still enjoyed it though :). I hope to read the Reckoners trilogy maybe later this year.

13. Dark places - Gillian Flynn - 7.5/10 - not one of my better reads in 2017.

I am now reading Vermillion Drift by William Kent Krueger. He is another of my go-to authors when I am waiting for other library books to become available. Only problem is that the library only carries about 2/3 of his books and I have to buy the kindle books. :cry:

Edited by muggle not

I hope your next read will be better. Awww what a shame your library doesn't have all the books.

Shame about Dark Places, I really loved that book, although I remember it being really slow. What's the reasons you didn't love it? =)

I'm going to be reading Dark Places soon, so I'd also be interested in hearing what you disliked about it :D