204 replies to this topic

#1 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,749 posts
  • Reading now?:Cogheart by Peter Bunzl

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:43 AM

Happy New Year everyone! What books are you reading today? Or, perhaps you're acquiring some new books, or making a list of books you own. Tell us your book activity today. :)

#2 bobblybear

bobblybear

Too many books!!

• Supporter
  • 5,047 posts
  • Reading now?:Grunt - Mary Roach

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:45 AM

I'm starting the year with A Million Years in a Day: A Curious History of Daily Life by Greg Jenner. I'm up to the second chapter, which is on toilet habits....it's interesting. :lol:

#3 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:58 AM

I bought myself A Slice Of Britain by Caroline Taggart on Kindle as the price had dropped recently and I had some vouchers to use.

I'm reading Poppy Pym and the Pharaoh's Curse by Laura Wood which was on of my Christmas books - I'm going to try and read all the books I received as presents first this year, before moving on to my other books. :)

#4 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,914 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:51 PM

I finished The Christmasaurus by Tom Fletcher today.  It was fun - I imagine if I were the target audience (7-9 years) I would have really loved it.  :)

#5 bobblybear

bobblybear

Too many books!!

• Supporter
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:52 PM

I'm also reading a fiction: We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler. This is another one I have had on my Kindle for a little while (since 2014), so it makes sense to read it now. :D

#6 Alexi

Alexi

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts
  • Reading now?:Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:09 PM

I'm starting the year with catching up on everyone's new blogs! 

I'm also halfway through The First Phone Call from Heaven by Mitch Albom. :)

#7 willoyd

willoyd

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 2,212 posts
  • Reading now?:The Crime at Black Dudley by Margery Allingham
  • LocationWharfedale

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:21 PM

Starting the year with The Awakening of Miss Prim.  Initial reaction is that it's quirky, and a wee bit stilted, but still engaging, and easy to read.  Will leave the heavier stuff for a week or two at least.

#8 chaliepud

chaliepud

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 4,673 posts
  • LocationLeafy Surrey

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:36 PM

I've been reading 'The Letter' by Kathryn Hughes for 6 days now, I was hoping to finish it in 2016 but didn't get close! :)

#9 lauraloves

lauraloves

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 3,547 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:40 PM

I finished The Christmasaurus by Tom Fletcher today.  It was fun - I imagine if I were the target audience (7-9 years) I would have really loved it.  :)

I'm about halfway through this - I think it's great! Can't wait for my little one to be big enough to read this too!

#10 Alexander the Great

Alexander the Great

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Reading now?:Oorlog en Terpentijn, by Stefan Hertmans
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:09 PM

I finished The Invisible Life of Eurídice Gusmão today - I read the Dutch translation. I was hoping to finish it in 2016, but some things came up yesterday and I went out to dinner with my sister and some others last night to celebrate New Year's Eve. I was only 30 pages away from the end, but it's on the 2017 list now  :smile:

I've now started reading The Three Emperors: Three Cousins, Three Empires And The Roald To World War One by Miranda Carter. I'm reading it in Dutch as the original wasn't available in the library. This is non fiction and I usually read fiction, but because of my interest in history and particularly this era, I couldn't leave it there!

#11 Anna Begins

Anna Begins

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,303 posts
  • Reading now?:Roots by Alex Haley
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:08 PM

Despite my goal of reading fewer history books, I'm in the middle of The Life of Elizabeth I by Alison Weir and To Hell and Back by the amazing British historian Ian Kershaw. I also have Burma Chronicles by Guy Delisle, a graphic novel.

#12 shades

shades

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:14 PM

Book on Martin Luthers life  "Let the Trumpet Sound"

#13 Ben

Ben

Broken

• Advanced Member
  • 5,939 posts
  • LocationWest Yorkshire.

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:03 AM

Seeing in the year with Big Sur by Jack Kerouac which I started about a week ago but only managed to read a tiny bit of. (Less than 50% complete and it counts as 2017 read in my opinion.) Enjoying it actually - so different to the better-known On the Road.

#14 bobblybear

bobblybear

Too many books!!

• Supporter
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:14 PM

I bought two Kindle books today  (part of the 12 Days Deal):

The Loney - Andrew Michael Hurley

Let The Light Shine - Nick Alexander

I've also managed to read a fair bit of We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves, which is not bad going.

Edited by bobblybear, 02 January 2017 - 02:15 PM.

#15 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,914 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:56 PM

I started The Girl Who Saved Christmas by Matt Haig (a present from Kay and Alan) last night when I went to bed and I've just finished it.  :)

I bought The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry on Kindle today.  I was going to buy the hardback but looked it up on Amazon and it's 99p today! :D

#16 anisia

anisia

Watch the Sky

• Supporter
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:02 PM

I finished Knots & Crosses by Ian Ranking, always love reading a good crime book. I've now started The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon; it took me a bit to really get into it but I think I'll like it a lot. 

#17 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:05 PM

I finished Poppy Pym and the Pharaoh's Curse by Laura Wood this afternoon. :). I'm planning to read all my Christmas presents first, so I'm going to start Through the Mirror Door by Sarah Baker next.

#18 bobblybear

bobblybear

Too many books!!

• Supporter
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:35 PM

I've now started The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon; it took me a bit to really get into it but I think I'll like it a lot. 

I have this one my Kindle, and I think it's on the Rory Gilmore challenge as well. I hope to read it this year, as I have only heard good things about it.

#19 Ben

Ben

Broken

• Advanced Member
  • 5,939 posts
  • LocationWest Yorkshire.

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:41 PM

The Amazing Adventures... is high up on my to-read list as well. Read his excellent new novel/memoir/mash-up Moonglow earlier this year and it was one of my favourite reads in 2016.

Managed to crack on with Big Sur today and should have it finished tonight. Kerouac's style definitely isn't for everyone - and takes getting used to - but I've really enjoyed this. Like I mentioned yesterday, very much a different dynamic to the more popular On the Road but still a fascinating, probing read. Not sure what to pick up next, have been eyeing up Zadie Smith's On Beauty...

#20 Brian.

Brian.

This too shall pass

• Supporter
  • 1,966 posts
  • Reading now?:Tropic of Cancer - Henry Miller
  • LocationSE England

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:51 PM

Started a book I was bought just before Christmas, The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users