Hello! :D

Poet

Welcome to the forum! Hope you're enjoying your time here!

Shelfy

Shelfy thank you !!! Nice to meet you to!! :) :) :)

Yes I have a great time! You are all so kind and polite! This is by far the best forum with the best people I ve ever been to!! :D

Poet, I found this, do you think it's a good translation?  Funnily enough it mentions Lawrence Durrell, who I was just talking about, referring to Cavafy's work in his book Alexandria Quartet. Also EM Forster in his Pharos and Pharillon. I'm a big fan of Forster, but haven't read that particular book.

http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/cavafy.html

About the mice, I looked again and am beginning to wonder if I mistook these horses heads for mice. It's the only thing I can find that resembles anything like what I saw in the photo. :blush2:

post-3715-0-79291900-1455697354_thumb.jpg

Poet, I found this, do you think it's a good translation? Funnily enough it mentions Lawrence Durrell, who I was just talking about, referring to Cavafy's work in his book Alexandria Quartet. Also EM Forster in his Pharos and Pharillon. I'm a big fan of Forster, but haven't read that particular book.

http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/cavafy.html

About the mice, I looked again and am beginning to wonder if I mistook these horses heads for mice. It's the only thing I can find that resembles anything like what I saw in the photo. :blush2:

attachicon.gifacropolis.jpg

Poppy :D You are making me so happy!! :)

This is an excellent translation!

Now something about the story that the poem refers to Plutarch's story of how Antony, besieged in Alexandria by Octavian, heard the sounds of instruments and voices of a procession making its way through the city, then passing out; the god Bacchus (Dionysus), Antony's protector, was deserting him; the poem's title itself is a verbatim quotation from Plutarch's text.

When Antony went to Alexandia he met Kleopatra and fell in love with her.. she was with the enemies of the Roman Empire so soon they sent army against them two.. Soon he and she were about to loose; the next day... Say goodbye to the Alexandria; you are loosing...

Whats your impressions???

Haha a funny misunerstood :P:P

Edited by Poet

I like how it not only talks of Antony's story but has a deeper meaning.  

It is obviously a poem with many layers of meaning; but, I see it as a poem / lesson on how someone must face a great loss (Alexandria being a symbol for a beloved city, woman, past glory, but, above all else, life itself). It is a beautiful lesson on how to face death.

These last lines are particularly lovely ...

listen—your final delectation—to the voices,
to the exquisite music of that strange procession,
and say goodbye to her, to the Alexandria you are losing.

I imagine they'd be all the more beautiful in the original Greek.

I like how it not only talks of Antony's story but has a deeper meaning.  

These last lines are particularly lovely ...

listen—your final delectation—to the voices,

to the exquisite music of that strange procession,

and say goodbye to her, to the Alexandria you are losing.

I imagine they'd be all the more beautiful in the original Greek.

Yes they are but the translation is very good :) I love this poem!!!!!! :D