bobblybear

First Line of Current Book - 2016

New year, new thread. :D

"The gunman is useless" - I Am The Messenger by Markus Zusak

Edit: Oh, crud! I messed up the title. Can someone please fix it for me? It should read 2016. :blush2:

Edited by bobblybear

Edit: Oh, crud! I messed up the title. Can someone please fix it for me? It should read 2016. :blush2:

Done :D

'When Captain James Cook stood on the deck of the Endeavour in March 1770 and felt the hot dry winds filling her sails off Australia's southern coast, he declared that the country's interior would be nothing but desert'.

The Dig Tree by Sarah Murgatroyd

The first time I took Ritalin I had been clean for four months.

More Now Again/ Elizabeth Wurtzel

"Anyone living in the United States in the early 1990s and paying even a whisper of attention to the nightly news or a daily newspaper could be forgiven for having been scared out of his skin".

Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner

"Claire: It's hard being left behind. I wait for Henry, not knowing where he is, wondering if he's okay. It's hard to be the one who stays."

Audrey Niffenegger - The Time Traveler's Wife

Those two girls, Constance and Sophia Baines, paid no heed to the manifold interest of their situation, of which, indeed, they have never been conscious.

The Old Wives' Tale by Arnold Bennett

His lips biting at my sleeve is what wakes me.

Reborn by Tara Brown 

Side note: The main character has a pet wolf...Just thought I'd point that out so the sentence didn't sound kind of weird  :giggle2:

It all began with William's aunt, who was in a good temper that morning, and gave him a shilling for posting a letter for her and carrying her parcels from the grocer's.

Just William by Richmal Crompton

"Weidmann appeared before you in a five o'clock edition, his head swathed in white bands, a nun and yet a wounded pilot fallen into the rye one September day like the day when the world came to know the name of Our Lady of the Flowers."

Our Lady of the Flowers, by Jean Genet

"The letter lay on the table before her."   Death Comes First by Hilary Bonner (psychological thriller)

The train tore along with an angry, irregular rhythm.

Strangers on a Train by Patricia Highsmith

'I hold Charles Dickens responsible for the death of my father.' 

Might not be accurate, as I've translated these originally English words from Dutch to English, because I'm reading a Dutch library book of John Boyne, This house is haunted. So far it's an exciting read, though I'm not scared (yet?), just curious to find out what is actually going on there. 

Of course it faintly echoes The turn of the screw, but it's still a different story and certainly worth reading so far. I've reached chapter 10. 

The leather-bound vulume was nothing remarkable. 

A discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

The first Callanish knew of the Circus Excalibur was the striped silk of their sails against the grey sky.

The Gracekeepers by Kirsty Logan

"A boy with a parrot on his shoulder was walking along the railway tracks."

The Final Solution by Michael Chabon

This book features an 89-year-old Sherlock Holmes.  Every time he appears, the author goes on and on about how creaky, decrepit, frail and wobbly he now is.  It's making me a little sad, so I'm having to pretend that this guy isn't Sherlock Holmes at all, just an old, retired no-name detective.  :(

The eleventh apartment had only one closet, but it did have a sliding glass door that opened onto a small balcony, from which he could see a man sitting across the way, outdoors in only a T-shirt and shorts even though it was October, smoking.

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara