Abielle's Book Blog of Doom 2016 Edition

AbielleRose

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Jessi! 

It really is comfort "food" reading :D Idk what it is about Mr. Darcy that just makes me fall in love. If I met him in person I'd dislike him so much he probably wouldn't get the opportunity to change my mind about him! 

• 2 weeks later...

I've finished Humans of New York Stories and The Wrath and the Dawn and am going to read a little story palate cleanser before going on, Dead Until Dark #1 in the Sookie Stackhouse Series by Charlaine Harris. I've read the whole series, but its a quickie read. 

I'm actually getting a really nice tax return so I'm planning to get some books with a little bit while saving the rest for emergencies. I've decided to (finally!) rebuy the whole Harry Potter box set (paperback :( I wanted hardcover but the paperbacks are 1/3 the price) and a couple other YA novels I've been wanting. I'm trying to decide between about 6 but only will by 2. It's a hard decision  :giggle:

Edited by AbielleRose

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you enjoy your new books :)! Shame you can't get the editions you want, because they cost quite a bit :(.

*huggles* I'm in love with this device. I splurged a little more than planned and got the Kindle 10 HD. Its HUGE. I've managed to do my dishes, clean up a bit and cuddle the cat all while "reading" my audio book of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I also signed up for Amazon's unlimited book thing. You can borrow whatever you like for 9.99 a  month. For me, it'll really be perfect because with my health not being the best its hard to get to a library and then I risk being too sick to return them on time, therefore having to pay fees. 

I love how I can listen to my book while doing other things on the Kindle, too. Right now I'm listening while half-playing Minecraft on it. 

Bahahaha, I had completely forgotten about Peeves :D He's not in any of the movies and I haven't read the books in probably 8 years now! Every time his character pops up I can't stop smiling. :D Leaving him out of the movies was a huge mistake.

So far, I've downloaded my 2 free books from Audible: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I also forgot I had an Audible free trial book about 2 years ago, so I also have the first Game of Thrones book. For traditional books, I've downloaded a couple free ones as well as a reader's advance copy of one the suggested. Looks like I'll be nice and busy this weekend :D :D :D 

I'M SOOOO HAPPY!!!!!!!

Janet! So lovely to see you! *huggles* Hope your reading year is going well. :) I need to peek into your blog and snoop around.

It's going really well, thanks - 14 books so far.  :)  However, I won't keep up that pace - it's because I had a week where I didn't leave home as I was poorly, so I read my way through several books.  Lovely though that was I really don't want to repeat the feat if it means being ill!

*huggles* I'm in love with this device. I splurged a little more than planned and got the Kindle 10 HD.

So far, I've downloaded my 2 free books from Audible: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I also forgot I had an Audible free trial book about 2 years ago, so I also have the first Game of Thrones book. For traditional books, I've downloaded a couple free ones as well as a reader's advance copy of one the suggested. Looks like I'll be nice and busy this weekend :D :D :D

I'M SOOOO HAPPY!!!!!!!

Oh cool- I think I asked you in another thread which one you had bought!  I am glad you are enjoying audible, I might sign up next month. 

I am also tempted to do the HP's... I've never read them before!

You should try it! Its so nice to be able to multi-task while reading! 

I finished HP and the Chamber of Secrets this morning and plan to start Game of Thrones Book 1: A Song of Fire and Ice tonight after Shadowhunters. :D Reading is fun. It feels like I've done more "reading" having this Kindle than I've managed to do in the last few years. Feels really good. I'm happy this device seems to have been worth the monies! 

I finished HP and the Chamber of Secrets this morning and plan to start Game of Thrones Book 1: A Song of Fire and Ice tonight after Shadowhunters. :D Reading is fun. It feels like I've done more "reading" having this Kindle than I've managed to do in the last few years. Feels really good. I'm happy this device seems to have been worth the monies!

I hope you like the first A Song of Ice and Fire book, named A Game of Thrones :P. How is Shadowhunters? I haven't read the books the series is based on, so please don't spoil them for me, but I heard from other people it wasn't that great. What do you think?

I ended up falling asleep last night before starting A Song of Ice and Fire so its on board for today. I ordered some yarn from Amazon to begin knitting a blanket for a friend of mine and I plan to listen while I knit. :D 

Shadowhunters is brilliant. The tv series is very well done and the cast are each perfect in their rolls! The books are one of my favorite series and I was so excited when they made a movie based on the books, but the movie was a very sad, tragic representation of the story, so I'm happy the tv series has been created to elevate the series, unlike the movie. If you do read the books, skip the movie. :D 

I love how I can listen to my book while doing other things on the Kindle, too. Right now I'm listening while half-playing Minecraft on it.

I multitask while I'm listen to audiobooks too! I like listening to them in the car while I'm driving, I often listen to a book while I'm sewing and they're a perfect accompaniment to a walk. It's just another way of sneaking more reading into my day. :D Glad you're getting on so well with them, Abby.  I listened to the first Harry Potter book a couple of weeks ago, and plan to listen to the rest over the course of the year. :smile2:

Thanks guys :) Yeah, A Discover of Witches may be a bit down on my chain, but I have finished 3 more books since my last post. I've marathoned all 3 of the Hunger Games books and finished a few hours ago. 

Idk what's going on with me. I had seen the first 2 movies before reading any of the books, but I've been in a near panic attack mode since finishing this morning. The last book/series I had this hard of a time "ending" was the Harry Potter series all those years ago when book 7 finally came out. I've been trying to get my mind out of the world and, more importantly (for me), off love by watching cooking shows, but every little romantic mark makes my heart crunch and I start bawling all over again. I just can't seem to shake this feeling and I honestly don't know if its more stupid anxiety related or the books' story hitting me so hard.

Also, I have never wanted a real man as much as I want Peeta.

I loved A Discovery of Witches too - its a great story!!!

Have you read the other two in the trilogy ? I loved the 2nd one, and was disappointed by the third one.  :smile:

I really liked A Discovery of Witches, was quite disappointed in the 2nd book, and never bothered with the 3rd :-/

Really? It was always Gale for me!

Really? I always felt Peeta could understand Katniss in ways Gale couldn't and he was more concerned with putting her feelings first. Gale always seemed to kind of push her. I liked Peeta's patience and how he was always there for her in a way that wasn't overbearing. 

Plus, in the movies, Josh Hutcherson is so cute! :D 

Updated my reading list! I just started one called The Glassblower by Petra Durst-Benning which is the first in a trilogy set in Germany. The reviews are excellent and it definitely looks promising!

Not sure how much reading I'll get done this weekend as my dad is coming up for a visit. I think he's mostly coming to check on my health and see my icky foot for himself. It'll be nice to see him, I just hope my foot is up for some excitement!

• 2 weeks later...

I had to give up on The Glassblower after about halfway through. A girl can only listen to the author repeat how women can't do anything on their own and must marry a man to have any kind of support. Its not a bad book, it just really really got on my nerves right now. I may pick it up again someday. 

I ended up reading The Mockingjay for a 2nd time (since the final movie is coming out in a couple weeks) but I am not sure what to read next from my list. I know I need to read books from my list of ones I own but haven't read yet, but I'm really craving some comfort classics. The one at the top of the list right now is Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. Its always been a favorite book of mine because Charlie is so relatable. We all want success, when we get it, we tend to get a little cocky and want more, then when things go downhill we panic and make promises never to take the blessings for granted again. Its a short book so maybe I will just read that tomorrow.

Tonight I'm watching some Gilmore Girls. I'm on the episode where Lane and Zack get married and Lorelai is toasted. :D I love the part in the next episode when Luke comes back and gives Lorelai a little doll from Amish country and she says "Look, Patty, an Amish voo-doo doll!" :D