Your Book Activity - January 2016

Kylie

Finished Our Endless Numbered Days by Claire Fuller - excellent book, it gets my first 5 star rating of the year :)

Next I want to finish Mrs Brown's Family Handbook and then I might start An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth, as it's only a week and a half til I see the author!

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished book 2 in the Gone series, Hunger. was so good, review in my thread (and yes, I kept up with Gaia :P ).  I think my next book will be either a Philippa Gregory or The Bookseller by Cynthia Swanson.

Ooh  :hide:  :hide:  :hide: Hope you like it Kylie! Worried now!  :blush2: Fingers crossed  :D  

Don't be worried...I'm loving it so far! :D

Hope you enjoy it Kylie! It's a solid read, even if I was a tad put off by the ending (which is my own fault, because it references The Bone Clocks.)  You too, Anna, when you get to it. :)

Thanks Noll. I'm very interested to see how it ends!

I had a great day of reading yesterday. I ended up reading two-thirds of Slade House, and I also started (and read 100 pages of) So You've Been Publicly Shamed by Jon Ronson. Both of them are excellent so far!

I'm currently reading Trudi Canavan - The Age of the Five 2: Last of the Wilds. It's slower paced than the fast paced Gone 2: Hunger (by Michael Grant) I just finished, but that makes for a nice change in pace. I'm only on page 40 so far.

Cool beans! :lol: I hope the enjoyment will continue! I almost picked it up myself the other day, but something else had to be read first... 

The enjoyment is indeed continuing. In fact I'm loving it! :boogie: It's back to old-style King, yay!! Hope you get to it soon. :smile:

Ugh- I had such a bad reading period yesterday.  After I finished Hunger, I couldn't find anything to read!  Nothing appealed to me.  I wasted like, half a day reading samples.

I was afraid I was burned out, as my reading this year has been pretty good so far.  But this morning I was in fine shape and began Alison Weir's brand new book The Lost Tudor Princess: The Life of Lady Margaret Douglas.  It just came out on the 12th.

I've had a great start to the day. By 7 am (I've been up all night) I'd finished both Slade House by David Mitchell (brilliant!) and So You've Been Publicly Shamed by Jon Ronson (also brilliant!)

Today's book activity will involve choosing my next read (most likely Under the Skin) and reshelving my 'Christmas tree' books, which are still heaped in piles around the house.

The enjoyment is indeed continuing. In fact I'm loving it! :boogie: It's back to old-style King, yay!! Hope you get to it soon. :smile:

That's awesome! :D I can't say for sure when I'll get to it, let's hope that the book calls out to me from amidst all the other library loans :giggle2: 

Today's book activity will involve choosing my next read (most likely Under the Skin) and reshelving my 'Christmas tree' books, which are still heaped in piles around the house.

What a coinky dinky! Because I'm currently reading a book that's on your personal best of the best book list...  :harhar:  :out:   :lol: 

I've had a great start to the day. By 7 am (I've been up all night) I'd finished both Slade House by David Mitchell (brilliant!) and So You've Been Publicly Shamed by Jon Ronson (also brilliant!)

Delighted you enjoyed Slade House, and looking forward to hearing your thought on Under The Skin if you do read it!

I'm two thirds of the way through An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth and it's fantastic, absolutely loving it. It's already my second 5-star book of the year. Probably gonna pick up something else this evening and get started, but not sure what. 

What a coinky dinky! Because I'm currently reading a book that's on your personal best of the best book list...  :harhar:  :out:    :lol:

Nooo! You can't say that and not tell me what it is! What are you reading?

Delighted you enjoyed Slade House, and looking forward to hearing your thought on Under The Skin if you do read it!

I'm two thirds of the way through An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth and it's fantastic, absolutely loving it. It's already my second 5-star book of the year. Probably gonna pick up something else this evening and get started, but not sure what. 

Thanks Noll. :) I'm about to start UtS now.

I was mildly interested in Hadfield's book before, and now it looks like I'll definitely be adding it to my wish list! Glad it's going so well. :)

Thanks Noll. :) I'm about to start UtS now.

I was mildly interested in Hadfield's book before, and now it looks like I'll definitely be adding it to my wish list! Glad it's going so well. :)

It's got two main angles - one, serious insight into what goes into becoming, and performing the duties of, an astronaut, which are 90% not-in-space. And two, perspectives and attitudes to life that Hadfield has developed as a result of his experiences, which apply in any context regardless of what work you're doing. If either/or sound interesting, you should enjoy it. :D

Hope you enjoy it! It's very, very strange but that's not a bad thing. :smile:

I finished Joyland by Stephen King, which I loved. :boogie:  Now I'm reading A Man Called Ove. :readingtwo:

I finished Wish Me Dead by Helen Grant, which started great but wound up being meh, and after the same experience with another of her books I think I'll pass on any others by her.

I've started Birdman by Mo Hayder, the first in a series of crime thrillers about a police detective named Jack Caffery. I swore off Hayder years ago after reading Pig Island and it being an all round terrible novel, but a lot of people who enjoy her other work agree Pig Island was a low point, so I want to give her another go, as her content is pretty dark and messed up, and I like that in my horrors/thrillers :D

Having a sort of read-a-thon this weekend as I'm sick - aiming to finish my two by Chris Hadfield and Brendan O'Carroll and get most, if not all, of this Mo Hayder one done. 

I've read 100 pages of Under the Skin, and I started Erik Larson's Dead Wake.

What do you think of Under The Skin so far?

I'm really enjoying A Man Called Ove so far. I just wish I could get on with posting my last reviews of 2015. :doh:

What do you think of Under The Skin so far?

I'm enjoying it well enough (if 'enjoying' is the right word!) I guess, like most people, I would have to note how strange it is! :D I'm loving the slow reveal though. I'm about halfway through it now.

This week I have finished Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi and Confess by Colleen Hoover, reads that were poles apart in depth but thoroughly enjoyable in their own right.

Now reading Blackout by Connie Willis, which I think is the last of the fiction books I got for Christmas so on target for one of my first challenges, to read all gifted books. :)

I finished A Golden Age by Tahmima Anam and have started by first non-fiction of the year - A People's History of the United States which is already fascinating and horrifying!

I want to put A Golden Age on my TBR, I saw you were reading it and was curious so I looked it up- sounds great.  I've also heard of A People's History... Good luck with that :giggle2:

I am in sort of a reading "slump" so I am taking today off and indulging in BBC History Magazine for the rest of today.  I always look forward to the book section!

I want to put A Golden Age on my TBR, I saw you were reading it and was curious so I looked it up- sounds great.  I've also heard of A People's History... Good luck with that :giggle2:

I am in sort of a reading "slump" so I am taking today off and indulging in BBC History Magazine for the rest of today.  I always look forward to the book section!

I read A Golden Age last year and can totally recommend it.