Your Book Activity - January 2016

Kylie

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished Billion-Dollar Ball by Gilbert M. Gaul, a decent enough book with enough to keep me interested. Not sure what to read next but I have about 100 books on my Kindle to choose from so I'm a little spoiled for choice.

Thanks. :)

Yes, that's the one. I've just finished the first episode and am enjoying it but I think I will buy the other one too.

Edit: I've just bought it for £2.22 on Ebay! :D

Bargain!!! I'm sure you'll enjoy it Janet, I think it sticks pretty closely to the book, but it's just got a lovely feel about it.  It was the first time I'd seen Kate Winslet in anything, and I thought she was incredible in it.

I got most of the way through The Man in the High Castle yesterday and I was planning to finish it last night. However, when I got home from work I found my bathroom partially flooded due to a leaking toilet. It took me about 3 hours to fix it (at least I hope I fixed it) and by then I was too tired to read and went straight to bed. Hopefully today will be fairly quiet at work and I can finish it this afternoon.

I'm about halfway through Boy, Snow, Bird, a very deep soulful book by Helen Oyeyemi, describing the lives of three woman in America mid last century. It covers a lot of issues that I won't detail as they are not in the blurbs I have read. Very well written, one to savour not rush. Another slightly disturbing book so I may need something lighter next! :)

I got most of the way through The Man in the High Castle yesterday and I was planning to finish it last night. However, when I got home from work I found my bathroom partially flooded due to a leaking toilet. It took me about 3 hours to fix it (at least I hope I fixed it) and by then I was too tired to read and went straight to bed. Hopefully today will be fairly quiet at work and I can finish it this afternoon.

I hope you'll have fixed it, it sounds like a pain! I hope you can do more reading soon.

I'm reading Michael Grant - Gone 2: Hunger. At the moment I'm about 60% in (page 360 out of 589). I haven't read much yet today, but I hope to read a bit more later in the day.

I hope you'll have fixed it, it sounds like a pain! I hope you can do more reading soon.

I'm reading Michael Grant - Gone 2: Hunger. At the moment I'm about 60% in (page 360 out of 589). I haven't read much yet today, but I hope to read a bit more later in the day.

I'll see if the fix was sucessful when I get home :D

Finished my re-read of Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day today, and loved it all over again. :wub:  Definitely want to read more Persephone books this year. :yes:

Wasn't expecting to finish my book partway through my lunch break, and only had my phone with me, so had to pick a Kindle book on there to start next, and decided to go for Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks from the English Counties challenge.  Pleased to be making some more inroads on that challenge already this year too! :D

I got most of the way through The Man in the High Castle yesterday

I hope you like it!  I am a big Phillip K Dick fan, in fact, A Scanner Darkly has become one of my favorite novels.  Enjoy!

I'm running behind on Hunger with Gaia, but will catch up today, I am sure.  The speed in which this book moves is incredible. Michael Grant handles many storylines very well.

I hope you like it!  I am a big Phillip K Dick fan, in fact, A Scanner Darkly has become one of my favorite novels.  Enjoy!

I'm running behind on Hunger with Gaia, but will catch up today, I am sure.  The speed in which this book moves is incredible. Michael Grant handles many storylines very well.

I finished it this afternoon and I enjoyed it as much as the other Dick books that I have read.

I finished it this afternoon and I enjoyed it as much as the other Dick books that I have read.

Have you seen the Amazon series of it?  I watched the first episode and was very disappointed, not like the book much.  Man in the High Castle was my first PKD, I will get to Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said later this year and Eye in the Sky.

I don't think I mentioned that I've started Joyland by Stephen King. I'm really enjoying it so far. :boogie:

Cool beans! :lol: I hope the enjoyment will continue! I almost picked it up myself the other day, but something else had to be read first... 

About to start David Mitchell's Slade House.

That's on my TBR for this year, for a read a thon, I believe.  It came from Noll's review :)

Ooh  :hide:  :hide:  :hide: Hope you like it Kylie! Worried now!  :blush2: Fingers crossed  :D  

For the life of me, I can not find the place you and I chatted about audiobooks, but I wanted to thank you :)  I think I will start with the HP books, but not til later this year.

About to start David Mitchell's Slade House.

Ooh  :hide:  :hide:  :hide: Hope you like it Kylie! Worried now!  :blush2: Fingers crossed  :D  

That's on my TBR for this year, for a read a thon, I believe.  It came from Noll's review :)

Hope you enjoy it Kylie! It's a solid read, even if I was a tad put off by the ending (which is my own fault, because it references The Bone Clocks.)  You too, Anna, when you get to it. :)

Hope you enjoy it Kylie! It's a solid read, even if I was a tad put off by the ending (which is my own fault, because it references The Bone Clocks.)  You too, Anna, when you get to it. :)

I was hoping it would be a good introduction to Mitchell.  I am afraid of The Bone Clocks :hide: 

Oh- that's good... isn't there some magical realism in Bone Clocks?  I think that's what makes me :hide:

There's magical realism in Slade House too. But it over explains everything, so you don't notice so much. I'm starting to like magical realism, weirdly. After reading The Rabbit Back Literature Society, which was full of it and explained nothing, but which I loved anyway. :lol:

I am currently reading The Chocolate Lovers Christmas by Carole Matthews this is so easy to read and another one that is making me laugh.  Will get back to my murders and thrillers soon though as they are piling up,.