Michelle's Graphic Novel and Comic Adventures

Yeah, that definitely makes sense. The ones I've seen all have such pretty art. Its almost nice to not have to imagine the setting and characters for yourself, they're already there physically and you can just go with it. Like with new books you have to sort of get into them before really FORMING the setting in your head. Idk, maybe I'm not saying this right... 

There are 6 collections - I decided to get the slipcase containing all 6, as it was better value. I got mine from Wordery, where it was £47 plus a 10% discount. https://wordery.com/locke-key-gabriel-rodriguez-9781631401398

That's not bad!  I step in here with trepidation every time, hoping I don't come out with something for my Wish List.  I think I will have to own these :devcat:

Michelle (and everyone else here), do you have any recommendations for stand alone graphic novels? I've been trying to get into them; I've read one graphic novel in my life. It's time for me to get past the "graphic novels aren't real literature" mentality and try something new!

Lara, Beautiful Darkness has been recommended to me, and there are lots of positive reviews on amazon. I haven't looked at it yet, as I've requested it from my library, and it's being repaired, so I'm still waiting. So far, Locke and Key is the shortest complete series I've come across.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

The library is proving invaluable in letting me try out different types of graphic novel. I've tried another Doctor Who one, but I was't keen, and didn't finish it. I'm beginning to realise that good/interesting art is as important to me as the story, so the more story driven ones aren't appealing to me much. Saying that, I've just picked up a Twilight Zone 'episode' from the library, which is in the same vein, so we'll see.

I've also finally gotten Beautiful Darkness from the library, as well as Watchman (which I may not like, but feel I need to try) and the first Transmetropolitan, which was recommended by a book blogger.

There was also a comics bundle on humblebundle.com, so I now have lots to try out on my iPad. I've already read the first Black Magick, which looks rather promising, and I have lots more to try.

I need some help!  I started a GN about Bosnia last night and the cover isn't a hard cover, but its super nice and stiff.  How do I open this thing to read it??  I read some last night with the book half closed to not wreak the spine.

I've never read a graphic novel before.  I guess it's something I ought to try.  :)   Have you read Maus by Art Spiegelman?  A good friend of mine was raving about it at the weekend.

If that was to me, and I do have a few historical GN, I have Maus on my wish list, there are two of them.  I have Showa, A History of Japan on my Wish List too.

I'm now halfway through the Locke and Key series, and it is so good! I like the story progression, and love the art work.. it can be quite a scary read. I've tried the 2nd issue of Black Magick, and I may continue.. and I've also discovered Monstress, which is looking like a good fantasy read, with some attractive and cute artwork.

• 1 month later...

I can recommend a couple of Doctor Who titles for you:

After Life, by Al Ewing & Rob Williams: 11th Doctor stories that capture Matt Smith's Doctor very well.

Four Doctors, by Paul Cornell & Neil Edwards: 10, 11 and 12 plus The War Doctor!  A good plot on this one, with some clever twists.

• 11 months later...

I did take a look at Watchman last year, but it didn't grab me. 

Into 2017, I've read Marvel 1602 by Neil Gaiman, which I really enjoyed.. it's interesting seeing the usual characters handled in a different way and different setting.