Your Book Activity - October 2015

frankie

I am reading this now.... :sleeping-smiley-009 so far.

Yeah, very slow so far. Doesn't feel like a typical King book to me. :shrug:

I really want to read this, but other books keep getting in the way!  I've been waiting awhile now.

Glad you are enjoying them!  You manage so many books at the same time!  I can only do a variety of genres.

Haha I had to stop myself from starting new books. 4 is good for me, usually it's around 7 or 8. Though to be fair I do currently have 2 audio books, 2 graphic novels and a poetry collection on the go as well... Maybe not doing so well :unsure:

Station Eleven is a bit of a strange one, I'm enjoying it a lot but not sure why. It keeps jumping all over the place and doesn't go in the direction I expected, I feel like it is missing a lot of opportunities yet I can't stop reading. :blush2:

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Station Eleven is a bit of a strange one, I'm enjoying it a lot but not sure why. It keeps jumping all over the place and doesn't go in the direction I expected

Isn't that a good thing? :unsure:

I finished The Giraffe's Neck last night, but still not much wiser by the end of it. :dunno:

Decided to try Lost on Mars by Paul Magrs next.  I love the other books of his I've read, but this is very different so far.  I've loved the humour in his other books, but this is the first YA book of his I've read, and it's just straight science fiction and I'm not enjoying it as much as I'd hoped.  That said, I'm interested enough to keep going for now, but it needs to pick up a bit soon if I'm to finish.

Haha I had to stop myself from starting new books. 4 is good for me, usually it's around 7 or 8. Though to be fair I do currently have 2 audio books, 2 graphic novels and a poetry collection on the go as well... Maybe not doing so well :unsure:

Station Eleven is a bit of a strange one, I'm enjoying it a lot but not sure why. It keeps jumping all over the place and doesn't go in the direction I expected, I feel like it is missing a lot of opportunities yet I can't stop reading. :blush2:

:giggle2:

I can do maybe 3-4 at a time, but they all have to be different genres.  I found lately, just reading one book is a bit boring :blush2:   I MUST get to Station Eleven!

Still in October/ Halloween/ creepiness mode, I am now 100 pages into the already disturbing Seed by Lisa Heathfield.

I finished Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey last night, and intend to review soon. Really enjoyed it, despite a very emotive subject.

Now starting South Riding by Winifred Holtby. I hope many expectations aren't too high though...

I loved Station Eleven and will most definitely read it again at some point. Thought it was beautifully written and such an original take on post-apocalyptia.

Alexi, glad you enjoyed Elizabeth is Missing. It was very well written in terms of capturing Maud's character and illness.

I'm still reading Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut. I'm really enjoying it. It's quite quirky and a bit humorous too. I should have more time to read (and catch up on reviews :doh: ), as I've decided to push my exams back instead of trying to do them all by the end of November. Between that and work, it was sending me around the twist. :drama:  I need to stop trying to do too much at once...I don't think I can cope with stress as well as I did when I was younger. :drama:

Ooh, I have this, sounds like it must be good if you've read 164 pages already? :)

Yep, it's really good! :smile2: I read all those pages in one go :) True, I did have problems falling asleep and so I read more than I would have, otherwise, but I really enjoyed what I read! :)

Didn't feel like more of Lost on Mars today, so decided to start on Far From The Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy.  Unfortunately, my reading lunch break got interrupted by being called into a meeting, so I didn't get as much into it as I wanted, but I am liking it.  I've downloaded is a free public domain edition, but there is no table of contents or chapter marks, so it just says I've got 8 hours reading time left, and I change the page on the screen about 10 times before the page number flicks over, and that's with it on the smallest font setting.  I like to know how long chapters are so I know whether I can fit another one in the time I have, so I might buy the Penguin edition, as its only £1.89 and also has additional background on the book, the place and the author which might be interesting.

Didn't feel like more of Lost on Mars today, so decided to start on Far From The Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy.  Unfortunately, my reading lunch break got interrupted by being called into a meeting, so I didn't get as much into it as I wanted, but I am liking it.  I've downloaded is a free public domain edition, but there is no table of contents or chapter marks, so it just says I've got 8 hours reading time left, and I change the page on the screen about 10 times before the page number flicks over, and that's with it on the smallest font setting.  I like to know how long chapters are so I know whether I can fit another one in the time I have, so I might buy the Penguin edition, as its only £1.89 and also has additional background on the book, the place and the author which might be interesting.

I'm off out in just 5 minutes, but when I get back I can look in my book for you. :)

I've just realised that my offer to help isn't going to work at all if your Kindle version is all in one go!  :doh:   

If it's any help, I read this version on Kindle and it tells me how long I have left in each chapter...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Far-Madding-Crowd-Thomas-Hardy-ebook/dp/B0084B0DOK/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1444342090&sr=1-1&keywords=far+from+the+madding+crowd

:)

I really enjoyed The Girl With No Gifts, completely different to anything I've read before.

Ya, I am finding that it is quite different, especially after Seed.  Seed was so... easy.

I really enjoyed The Girl With No Gifts, completely different to anything I've read before.

Ya, I am finding that it is quite different, especially after Seed.  Seed was so... easy.

The Girl With All The Gifts is one I've heard mention of a few times, but I still know nothing about it. Should probably look it up :roll:

I'm still trudging through my two reads, enjoying them, but finding it hard to focus for more than a few pages.