Good afternoon!

Guest ii

Oh that explains a lot. I like your name spelt the Finnish way! Never came across that before.

Thank you. Finnish is all about doubble wowels. there's even a word with 7 of them in one row! Believe it or not.

Hello ii and a warm welcome.

It is obvious you are already fitting in ...reading this thread I felt as if you had always been here, so that's great.

Pp

Thank you. And that is such a sweet thing to say, thank you.

What kind of books do you like to read?

Have fun here!

Judy

Well, as I stated above, I love the classics. They just use the language in a different way than contemporary authors. But there's really a wide array of books that I've found enjoyable, so it's hard to pin down a genre or few that are my favourites.

Thank you, I'm sure I will!

Welcome Ii.

I'll email P. D. James and tell her that in future the first murder should take place before page 10, but preferably in the first paragraph of page 1.

Incidentally, your English grammar would put to shame 95% of the British population. I think that that is astounding.

Oh, Eddie! Would you? That would be so nice of you. Thank you ever so.

Really? Thank you! I guess it's because it's not my first language.

Hey can you write it down and explain what it means?

Sure. If only it displays right. In the Finnish alphabet there're few letters others don't have,

Well, as I stated above, I love the classics. They just use the language in a different way than contemporary authors. But there's really a wide array of books that I've found enjoyable, so it's hard to pin down a genre or few that are my favourites.

I had a look at your list of favourites and it's very similar to mine as I too enjoy the classics. You're right about the use of language - I love the way that certain things were articulated then that have changed partly because we understand more about them and consequently are now articulated differently. The language used shows so much about their understanding of things at that time. Also I love the way that they are a window on 19th century life - although fiction there is an element of truth in what they reveal.

You're so right, Judy. The life we see from these books is so different from now, and it's refreshing. While some problems are the same, they're still approached very differently. Some girlfriends of mine and I were talking the other day about relationships and how men are difficult and all the usual girly stuff, and we concluded that life would have been way easier back in the old age. Okay, the liberties of women were lousy, but at least you knew how to act at all occasions! There were set rules for everything, so you were never lost of what to say and do. Much easier. These day proper etiquette is more complicated, and even more so as not very many people follow it!

The language is also much more eloquent, more embellished. They took their time in expressing themselves and their thoughts. No gramming what you want to say to the 160 symbols of a text message, no abbreviated smiley-filled casual emails. They took pride in writing and speaking well. That's a lost art these days. And that's really very sad.