Have your 'tastes' changed since being a member here?

Michelle

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do tend to stick to the same kind of books, authors, genres etc, so I'm hoping to use this site and it's recommendations from members etc to help broaden my tastes.
I like Ian rankin's book to read and sometimes stephen king.

I also go for some marian keyes books her books are funny:lol:

I've never read anything from Ian Rankin before so I may well give him a shot, any recommendations on which one to start with?

I have to be in the mood for Stephen King.

I've read a few Marian Keyes books but to be honest with you I wasn't that impressed with them.

My tastes actually haven't changed at all since I've joined the forum. But I will admit that I'm more curious about books that I'm not so familiar with, and have been tempted to branch out a bit...

• 2 years later...

Decided to move this up!

My tastes have expanded a little. I am reading more mysteries. I've also ventured into a few fantasy novels by Kate Forsyth and a few other fiction writers I had just plain walked past.

My biggest problem is that I work in a bookstore and I'm a member of this forum. I cant even sit and read without checking back here and seeing if there is something ELSE I should be reading!!:) Almost takes me twice as long to finish a book now!

Good idea to bump this thread, Katrina!

I have been sucked into the world of the supernatural since I started coming here. Before I logged on I had never read a vampire, zombie, shapeshifting, witch, sorcerer, etc, book in my life! I love it, and I thank you all for showing me the light :).

I can honestly say that BCF hasn't changed my tastes, but is 100% responsible for defining, informing and expanding them.

I'm only 22, so up til I was 16/17 I was reading the YA section in my local library - until I had read everything in it. My mum's books were all thriller/murder mystery (Koontz, Rankin etc) and all I knew about them was I wasn't a fan of them. I had NO idea where to start with adult books, so I just didn't. When I joined BCF a year and a half ago, I knew what I liked in kids/teens books: some horror, some history, some adventure, some fantasy, some mystery. What BCF did, was point me to all the very best of all these genres in the world of adult books. Still does! I loved reading as a child and teenager and I can honestly say if it wasn't for BCF I would not have become an avid reader again.

Like Noll, my tastes haven't changed, just expanded. I have read a lot of different books since joining, and a lot more books. Book rings and recommendations have caused me to read books I probably wouldn't have otherwise picked up. I used to just read romance, now I'll read anything :)

Like others have already said, my tastes haven't really changed but the scope of genres, authors and titles I read nowadays has definitely expanded. From here I get recommendations of novels that I wouldn't know to pick up otherwise. I think I wouldn't have started reading The Twilight series if it wasn't for the fan base on here :) I've also found a lot of great thriller authors thanks to the thriller readers! Jeffery Deaver, Karin Slaughter, Kathy Reichs...

I've always enjoyed reading classics but nowadays I'm more determined to read them every now and then and not just once a year. It's also much more enjoyable to do the Rory Gilmore challenge with the awesome bunch of people who are determined to do likewise.

The forum hasn't changed my taste in books but it has made me branch out & try different authors. I picked up a couple of Jasper Fforde books in York yesterday he's an author i don't think i would have tried if i hadn't read so many good things about him on here. I was hoping that when i joined the forum it would motivate me to reduce my TBR pile but it's had the opposite effect & my book mountain grows daily :)

The forum hasn't changed my taste in books but it has made me branch out & try different authors. I picked up a couple of Jasper Fforde books in York yesterday he's an author i don't think i would have tried if i hadn't read so many good things about him on here. I was hoping that when i joined the forum it would motivate me to reduce my TBR pile but it's had the opposite effect & my book mountain grows daily :)

:D I'm sorry, but that's how the forum works :lol: My TBR has grown with about 200 titles since I joined about 2,5 years ago. I'm afraid I'll never be able to reduce it to two-digits! Many people have said it before, but I'll say it again: this forum should come with a warning!

I'm glad you've found Jasper Fforde, his Thursday Next -series is really great :lol:

I think my basic tastes have stayed the same, but I've definitely read books that I wouldn't have before because of good reviews on here.

My TBR list is out of control and I've bought a lot more bookshelves :)

I don't think my tastes have changed but I like reading the reviews of books I might not necessarily have picked up myself and added them to my list of things to look out for.

:D I'm sorry, but that's how the forum works :) My TBR has grown with about 200 titles since I joined about 2,5 years ago. I'm afraid I'll never be able to reduce it to two-digits! Many people have said it before, but I'll say it again: this forum should come with a warning!

I'm glad you've found Jasper Fforde, his Thursday Next -series is really great :lol:

Before i joined the forum i thought i was the only one bought books faster than they could read them :lol: so it's quite reassuring to know i'm not alone.

I'll add Thursday Next to my list :D

I definitely read a lot more since being a member, as well as spending more money and having a large 'TBR' mountain :lol:

As far as tastes, I used to read a lot of chick-lits before I became a member on here (maybe because I was a bit younger). Since then, I've picked up titles that I never would have, just because I've heard them mentioned on BCF :D Still unsure whether this forum has made a good or a bad impact :) I'm spending way too much money.

Before i joined the forum i thought i was the only one bought books faster than they could read them :lol: so it's quite reassuring to know i'm not alone.

I'll add Thursday Next to my list :D

Not at all, you're definitely in good company here :)

Since joining BCF, I've discovered historical fiction. For some reason, I always discounted such books as I had it in my mind that they were more like romances. WRONG!! So thank you. For example, I just finished Gone with the Wind and absolutely loved it. I had never picked it up before because the cover had Rhett and Scarlett in a passionate embrace. It was superb and gave the reader great insight to the Civil WAr.

Also, I am reading A LOT more and my pile is probably three times larger since I joined :). I think the reading blogs and challenges make me feel a little more motivated to read

BCF is like having an accountablility partner for me. It's really amazing to have a place to go to not only get reccommendations but to also discuss and explore literature and to encourage each other in our reading endeavors. Before coming here I was the person who, if caught reading in public would hide the title because I didn't want anyone to judge me for my taste in books. BCF has helped me shed that little insecurity as well as helped me to push my reading comfort zone in terms of difficulty to a new level. Last year at this time I never would have picked up books like The Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby or The Divine Comedy by Dante, to be honest because I prefer fantasy and romance.

Now when I finish a book the first thing I think about is getting on BCF :)

Since becoming a member i have branched out and bought books like The Larsson trilogy which i ordinarily would not have bought but since reading so much about them here i have been very curious to try it and its next on my to be read list after 1984.

Also, i have found out that The Blind Side and Shutter Island were books as well as movies which i had no idea about before joining! So although my main area of interest is crime and horror, i have been experimenting thanks to you people so thanks! :)