Your Book Activity - May 2015

frankie

Wow- lots of love for The Sisters Brothers!  Glad to hear it!  Its pretty fun.  The cover is awesome.  (I'd post it here, but apparently I can't find a photo sharing site anymore now that photobucket has changed :irked: ).  Right at 50% now.

I read this a couple of years ago, loved it. :)

As I was reading it yesterday, I wondered if you had come across it :D

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finished 'My  Best friend's Girl' by Dorothy Koomson

Started 'Constance' by Rosie Thomas....think this was a Christian Aid charity book sale find a couple of years a ago. Wee while since I read a Rosie Thomas again...I usually like her books.

Edited by Inver

I think I've read a Rosie Thomas but can't remember which title and it would have been before I kept a record of what I've read.. I hope you enjoy it Diane. :)

I decided to bypass the Book Box today as after Johnny Got His Gun I really needed something a little lighter and easy to read, so I have chosen 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson.

I finished The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. It's going to take a while for me to wrap my mind around everything that happened in it. Not sure I will ever fully understand it, actually. :blink:  I still enjoyed it though.

Now I'm moving on to Z2134 by Sean Platt and David Wright.

Edited by bobblybear

I am a little over 30% into David Copperfield by Charles Dickens and am loving the book. I may have to set it aside for a few weeks to accommodate a few books that I anticipate getting from the library but will probably still read a few pages now and then. :)

...and so I went back to the Christian Aid charity book sale again tonight with hubby and 2 sons. I was only going to look...honest, but ended up with another 4...oops...but well it is for charity.

'The Rose Petal Beach' by Dorothy Koomson (well I had just finished one of hers and enjoyed it and had it on my list)

'Strange Fits of Passion' by Anita Shreve

'Sophie's Bakery for the Broken Hearted' by Lolly Winston (simply because it had bakery in the title... :D )

'Love Letters' by Debbie Macomber

Edited by Inver

I'm not winning with Septimus Heap book 5 Syren by Angie Sage, I can't really remember what happened in the last four books which is making it hard. I did however treat myself to some new books after a crappy day, so I'm now the proud owner of Dorothy must die and the sequel The wicked will rise by Danielle Paige and Ruby red by Kerstin Gier.

Finished Letters From Alcatraz by Michael Esslinger. Good, but I think I would have benefited from reading his definitive history of Alcatraz first. But then that wasn't free on kindle ;)

Now starting The Mangle Street Murders.

I took a punt and have read 35%.  It's... not very well written, I guess, but I'm enjoying my trip down memory lane nonetheless!

I tried quoting the posts about the 'horns of a dilemma' but it's not working for me on my tablet - but you guys did make me chuckle with your comments!  :giggle2:

I'm glad you're still enjoying it even though the writing's not that great :) 

And heheheh :giggle2::lol: 

I have about 50 pages to finish The Other Woman by Joy Fielding. It's been surprisingly entertaining. 

So you go along to the Christian Aid book sale and you have to buy books....it would be rude not to. I did have a list and managed to find 3. I suspect there may be another visit again tomorrow evening though with hubby and son.

'Life after Life ~ Kate Atkinson

'A Week in Paris' ~ Rachel Hore

'The Secret Keeper' ~ Kate Morton

...and so I went back to the Christian Aid charity book sale again tonight with hubby and 2 sons. I was only going to look...honest, but ended up with another 4...oops...but well it is for charity.

'The Rose Petal Beach' by Dorothy Koomson (well I had just finished one of hers and enjoyed it and had it on my list)

'Strange Fits of Passion' by Anita Shreve

'Sophie's Bakery for the Broken Hearted' by Lolly Winston (simply because it had bakery in the title... :D )

'Love Letters' by Debbie Macomber

I hope you enjoy all your new books :)

Finished 'My  Best friend's Girl' by Dorothy Koomson

I enjoyed this one a lot when I read it. I haven't yet read any more books by the author, but I did buy some :blush2:. I hope to read them some day :)

I finished The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. It's going to take a while for me to wrap my mind around everything that happened in it. Not sure I will ever fully understand it, actually. :blink:  I still enjoyed it though.

I'm glad you liked this book :).

I'm not winning with Septimus Heap book 5 Syren by Angie Sage, I can't really remember what happened in the last four books which is making it hard. I did however treat myself to some new books after a crappy day, so I'm now the proud owner of Dorothy must die and the sequel The wicked will rise by Danielle Paige and Ruby red by Kerstin Gier.

I hope you enjoy your new books :)!

I read H. G. Wells - The War of the Worlds (very good) and Agatha Christie - Miss Marple 12: Nemesis (from an omnibus) (nice but a bit slow). I'm thinking of reading Marie Lu - Legend 1: Legend next before perhaps reading more books from the Agatha Christie omnibus.

Now starting The Mangle Street Murders.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts! I hope to read it in the next couple of months.

I read H. G. Wells - The War of the Worlds (very good) and Agatha Christie - Miss Marple 12: Nemesis (from an omnibus) (nice but a bit slow).

Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed The War of the Worlds. :D It's a shame you didn't enjoy Nemesis as much; hopefully your next Agatha Christie will be better. Which other books are in the omnibus?

Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed The War of the Worlds. :D It's a shame you didn't enjoy Nemesis as much; hopefully your next Agatha Christie will be better. Which other books are in the omnibus?

Thanks, it really was an amazing book :). Thanks, I did like it but it was much more slower paced than I was expecting it to be. It wasn't as good as Murder on the Orient Express which is at the moment the only other Agatha Christie book I read and I loved that. The omnibus is Miss Marple Omnibus Volume III and it contains Nemesis, Sleeping Murder, At Bertram's Hotel and Murder at the Vicarage (in that order, according to GoodReads, they are books 12, 13, 11 and 1 in the Miss Marple series). I loved Hercule Poirot 10: Murder on the Orient Express so I'll definitely try out some more of Agatha Christie's books. I own more Hercule Poirot ones myself, this Miss Marple omnibus is from the library and I have to hand it back in in a little while. I don't know yet if I'll be reading the other books in it or not, as I feel more in the mood for something different now.

I'm currently reading Marie Lu - Legend 1: Legend, which is pretty enjoyable so far. On the back of my book it says it's based on a retelling of Les Misérables but since I haven't read that book yet I don't know if that's true or not. I'm enjoying the book all the same, though. I look forward to read more in it and find out what will happen.

Have you tried Flickr?  :)

What's happened to Photobucket?  :o  I use that for here!  :(

I don't know but logging in and uploading are totally different.

Now I'm moving on to Z2134 by Sean Platt and David Wright.

Have you read anything else by them?

I read H. G. Wells - The War of the Worlds (very good) and Agatha Christie - Miss Marple 12: Nemesis (from an omnibus) (nice but a bit slow). I'm thinking of reading Marie Lu - Legend 1: Legend next before perhaps reading more books from the Agatha Christie omnibus.

:exc: on both accounts- liking War of the Worlds and starting Legend!  I can't wait til you finish it!!

Alexi, the sequel to The Mangle Street Murders is the Kindle Daily Deal today, for only £0.99.

Thanks BB! Except I'm not sure I should be thanking you, because I'm only 30 pages into the first and now seriously considering buying the second :D

I finished reading John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice 1: The Ruins of Gorlan which I really enjoyed. I've now started H. G. Wells - The War of the Worlds. It's interesting so far, though the language is of course a bit 'older' than contemporary. I've seen a film based on this book, but I don't remember a whole lot from it. I liked The Time Machine so hopefully this book will be nice too, it is so far.

I read WotW  a long, long time ago, and loved it. :)  So glad you liked it too!   There have been two movie adaptations of it, the first in 1953 with Gene Barry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds_(1953_film) and the second, for which no link! :D  with Tom Cruise.  I can't stand Cruise, so haven't seen this one, but the first one was pretty good.

Re The Time Machine, I liked it too.  And...there is a film of that as well. :)  I've only seen the older one.

Have you tried Flickr?  :)

What's happened to Photobucket?  :o  I use that for here!  :(

I've used TinyPic for years and it's been reliable.  http://tinypic.com/

I read WotW  a long, long time ago, and loved it. :)  So glad you liked it too!   There have been two movie adaptations of it, the first in 1953 with Gene Barry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds_(1953_film) and the second, for which no link! :D  with Tom Cruise.  I can't stand Cruise, so haven't seen this one, but the first one was pretty good.

Re The Time Machine, I liked it too.  And...there is a film of that as well. :)  I've only seen the older one.

I'm not really a fan of Cruise, and I know it's not really 'cool' to like the remake of The War of the Worlds, but I did rather like it. :) But I loved the original too. Did you know that the male and female leads of the original made a cameo appearance in the remake? Cool!

The original The Time Machine is one of my favourite ever movies. :D The remake is abysmal.  :banghead: There are (expensive) models of the time machine that you can buy and put together. I'd love to have a replica with real working lights and everything! And I love the episode of The Big Bang Theory where Leonard accidentally buys a full-sized time machine. :giggle2:

I did it! :giggle2::D

Well done! :giggle2: I might make it my next read.

I finished Z2134 last night. It wasn't the greatest. Readable, but not very original. The next book selected by the Book Jar is Origins by Randolphe Lalonde. This is one of the first books I bought for my Kindle (Amazon tells me I purchased it 5 Feb 2011, so it's only languished on my Kindle for over 4 years. :ontome: ). I tried reading it about a year ago, and hated it, so it was the one book I was dreading to pull from my book jar. :doh:  But, I've persevered with it, and it's actually quite good this time around. Good thing, otherwise it may have remained on my Kindle forever. :giggle:

I'm really enjoying Danny Baker's Going to Sea in a Sieve, although I've definitely heard some of the stories before on his radio show, but it doesn't matter one little bit.  Have genuinely laughed out loud a few time, and chuckled to myself too, and even read some bits out loud to other people … must be a good 'un. :lol: