Your Book Activity - February 2015

chesilbeach

I'm glad that you have liked Angelfall - I've umm-ed and ahh-ed about trying it recently. The "very creative elements in it" is make it even more!  :smile:

They're very minor elements, nothing to get too excited about. Just little things that so far have held my interest. It's still a fairly typical YA book so far but I am enjoying it for sure.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dtr, which Flavia books did you bring home? I purchased one myself today and another using gift cards I received for my birthday :)

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater and Speaking from the Bones by Alan Bradley.

I hope you enjoy your new books :).

Hi Everyone,

My first post on here, I'm busy reading 'A-Z of Hell' by Ross Kemp which I'll probably finish today and then I've got James Herberts 'Ash' to chomp through.

So...I may or may not be guilty of going to the library and coming home with four Flavia de Luce books, two books from The Giver quartet, two books and three magazines on sewing, a Masha Hamilton that I haven't read, one impulse fiction and a random non-fiction. Good thing it's a read-a-thon weekend. :blush::giggle2:

:angel_not:   Good show!

I bought a few books today, and I read a bit of The Martian.

I'm not happy with the amount of reading I've been doing lately, so I decided to start on a short book to get my mojo flowing. I've chosen Black Coffee by Agatha Christie. I didn't realise until I picked it up that it's actually a novelisation by Charles Osborne of Christie's play. It put me off a bit, but it seems OK so far, and Christie's grandson advocates it at the beginning, so...

Hah, I bought Black Coffee years ago, not realizing either.  Haven't read it yet....I'll be happy to hear your verdict! :)

I finished The Girl on the Train last night, and wow!  Nice and twisty, red herring style.....although maybe calling them red herring clues isn't entirely fair.  But she certainly  kept the reader guessing. 

I started The Girl With the Clock for a Heart by Peter Swanson, I'm about 20% in and liking it pretty well.  It was a 1.99 USD special on Amazon a while back, and is still on sale.

I'm also about 2.3rds of the way into The Man Who Would Not Be Washington.....slow going bio of Robert E. Lee, a Confederate Civil War General.

I've been a bit behind on my responses. I had to remove some emoticons.

I've been to the library, and I now have a copy of Lois Lowry's The Giver! So I'm all ready to read.

A slightly off tangent  - the local literary festival will be in March, and I noticed that Matt Haig will be there!!. That should be great!!

Yay! I'm glad you got a copy. I see you're reading and enjoying it! I'm so envious/happy for you getting to hear Matt Haig speak. Enjoy!

Such a great book, I have The Angel's Game on my TBR shelves which I'm not sure about as it doesn't get such good reviews.

I hadn't heard of it, so I read a synopsis. It sounds interesting, so I'll likely download some sample chapters.

Finally finished Ulysses by James Joyce :exc: I loved parts and got fustratingly bored at other parts so it's hard to judge but I am glad it's over! :alc:

Color me impressed. I'm not a huge Joyce fan, so it's all I could do to get through The Dubliners. I can't imagine tackling Ulysses.

Oh, you're definitely guilty!  The evidence is plain to see. Hope you enjoy them all

Guilty as charged! I read the magazines and 1 1/2 sewing books on Friday. Saturday I was a lazy reader, but a great parade-goer. Today I hope to settle into some reading.

Not guilty, I think. You will have happy read-a-thon Dtr!!

:giggle2: Thank you, Marie!

Well done, that's a lot! Congratulations, well done! I wish you a great read-a-thon!

Thank you!

Dtr, which Flavia books did you bring home? I purchased one myself today and another using gift cards I received for my birthday.

I brought home A Red Herring Without Mustard, I am Half-Sick of Shadows, Speaking from Among the Bones & The Dead in their Vaulted Arches. A bit of binge reading is in order!

:angel_not:   Good show!

Thank you, thank you. 

Yay! I'm glad you got a copy. I see you're reading and enjoying it! I'm so envious/happy for you getting to hear Matt Haig speak. Enjoy!

Yes, The Giver is excellent, so I'm really enjoying it.

I brought home A Red Herring Without Mustard, I am Half-Sick of Shadows, Speaking from Among the Bones & The Dead in their Vaulted Arches. A bit of binge reading is in order!

Wow, that will be a real Flavia fest! :D

Hi Everyone,

My first post on here, I'm busy reading 'A-Z of Hell' by Ross Kemp which I'll probably finish today and then I've got James Herberts 'Ash' to chomp through.

Hi G Man  :welcomebcf: Happy Reading!

I finished The Girl on the Train last night, and wow!  Nice and twisty, red herring style.....although maybe calling them red herring clues isn't entirely fair.  But she certainly  kept the reader guessing. 

I started The Girl With the Clock for a Heart by Peter Swanson, I'm about 20% in and liking it pretty well.  It was a 1.99 USD special on Amazon a while back, and is still on sale.

I'm also about 2.3rds of the way into The Man Who Would Not Be Washington.....slow going bio of Robert E. Lee, a Confederate Civil War General.

There was quite a lot of buzz in Waterstone's about The Girl On the Train .. people asking for it etc and the assistants saying it was one of the best recent reads. I could only see it in hardback so didn't want to get it just yet but would you recommend it Kate? 

Love the title The Girl with a Clock for a Heart .. sounds great (hope it is :D)

I just finished reading "The Universe Versus Alex Woods" by Gavin Extence. I will rate it either a 8/10 or even a 9/10.

This is the first novel written by Gavin Extence and I really loved it. The deeper I got into the book the better it was.  Gavin must have a high IQ as his knowledge and writing was impressive. Gavin was a National chess champion in the U.K. between ages 6 and 11 years old and played in Russia against their best. Thankfully he took up writing. It would be difficult to discuss the plot without giving it away. However, the book will be loved by some but on the other hand is not for all. If you also like Kurt Vonnegut you may enjoy this book.

From Amazon...............

A rare meteorite struck Alex Woods when he was ten years old, leaving scars and marking him for an extraordinary future. The son of a fortune teller, bookish, and an easy target for bullies, Alex hasn't had the easiest childhood.

But when he meets curmudgeonly widower Mr. Peterson, he finds an unlikely friend. Someone who teaches him that that you only get one shot at life. That you have to make it count.

So when, aged seventeen, Alex is stopped at customs with 113 grams of marijuana, an urn full of ashes on the front seat, and an entire nation in uproar, he's fairly sure he's done the right thing ...

Introducing a bright young voice destined to charm the world, The Universe Versus Alex Woods is a celebration of curious incidents, astronomy and astrology, the works of Kurt Vonnegut and the unexpected connections that form our world.
Edited by muggle not

Hi G Man  :welcomebcf: Happy Reading!

There was quite a lot of buzz in Waterstone's about The Girl On the Train .. people asking for it etc and the assistants saying it was one of the best recent reads. I could only see it in hardback so didn't want to get it just yet but would you recommend it Kate? 

Love the title The Girl with a Clock for a Heart .. sounds great (hope it is :D)

Yup, def recommend The Girl on the Train!  Put a small review over on my thread.  But it's a 4/5.

I'm almost 20% in, and so far, so good.

Edited by pontalba

Hi Everyone,

Ive just read Ross Kemps A-Z of Hell, was a good read, i had to watch all the Ross Kemp series after it.

It's been a bit of a marathon reading session today, but I've finally finished Citadel, all 692 pages of it.  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo: 

Up next is my library reading group book choice for this month, All Our Worldly Goods by Irène Némirovsky.  I've enjoyed others of her books I've read, so looking forward to it, just a teeny weeny bit of a shame that it's a second book in a row set in wartime France … would have liked a change of scene.  :unsure: 

It's been a bit of a marathon reading session today, but I've finally finished Citadel, all 692 pages of it.  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo: 

Up next is my library reading group book choice for this month, All Our Worldly Goods by Irène Némirovsky.  I've enjoyed others of her books I've read, so looking forward to it, just a teeny weeny bit of a shame that it's a second book in a row set in wartime France … would have liked a change of scene.  :unsure: 

Well done Claire .. 351 pages in one day!! Impressive stuff  :cows:

Getting on great with Fair Exchange by Michelle Roberts and The Winter Queen by Boris Akunin .. both fabulous reads. 

I've just finished reading The Giver!! Oh, that was such a great book. So now I have the

pleasure of looking forward to the next three of the Giver Quartet.

I did enjoy the book, but I can't deny, it felt like a bit of a chore at times today!  Needed to be done though ;)

That is heavy going .. with any book. I read about a page a minute .. and sometimes a lot longer if the page is crowded with words. So it would have taken me about six hours  :o .. and if I've got a bun then probably longer :D Well done, you wanted to finish it and you did .. that's dedication. 

When I get a ticket to the event I'll be really pleased (the tickets are not on sale at the moment). Then it will spend a lot of time worrying about when I will go to book signing, I will get really nervous at a meeting Matt Haig!!  :o   :icon_eek:   :giggle: etc. etc

Do you know when they'll go on sale? I hope it's soon enough so you don't have to worry about securing a ticket for long. And after that you'll start worrying about the actual occasion... :blush: It's like meeting a rock star, isn't it? :blush::giggle2: 

Getting on great with Fair Exchange by Michelle Roberts and The Winter Queen by Boris Akunin .. both fabulous reads. 

You've already started The Winter Queen? Hurrah!! I knew you were going to start it soon because it's a loan book, but still, you've exceeded my expectations :D Glad you're enjoying it! :)

I've just finished reading The Giver!! Oh, that was such a great book. So now I have the

pleasure of looking forward to the next three of the Giver Quartet.

I'm so happy you liked it so much! :smile2: I hope the sequels will be just as great. I'm still waiting for my copies to arrive at the library.

My reading has almost come to a hault :( Too many things happening at once, too many things to think about. 

My reading has almost come to a hault :( Too many things happening at once, too many things to think about.

Awww :(. I hope things get better soon.

I started reading Francine Oomen (and Annet Schaap) - Hoe Overleef Ik... 7: Hoe Overleef Ik Met / Zonder Jou?, after reading books 5 and 6 on Sunday I went on with book 7 (all library loans that are due in a bit). I've not read that much yet as I spent most of yesterday... writing a lot of book reviews.