Health and Fitness

Kylie

Yes, some day... Hopefully! :smile2: 

Forgot to say that I borrowed a belly dancing video from the library yesterday. A friend of mine is a belly dancer and a belly dance instructor and so as I've seen some of her videos, I've become interested in it (I do like all sorts of dance, I do), and I thought I'd give it a go myself :D 

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgot to say that I borrowed a belly dancing video from the library yesterday. A friend of mine is a belly dancer and a belly dance instructor and so as I've seen some of her videos, I've become interested in it (I do like all sorts of dance, I do), and I thought I'd give it a go myself :D

Good luck! I have seen belly dancing before on TV, but never in real life. I hope you enjoy it :).

Yes, some day... Hopefully! :smile2:

Ooooh, have fun with it, Sari, and let us know what you think! :D I LOVE taking my belly dancing class and while it's a low-impact form of exercise, it's very intense and works all those lovely core muscles.  I also hope that all my Lebanese ancestors aren't too disturbed watching me do it  :giggle2:.

It's so nice having a dog to walk, especially for someone like me who gets very bored if I'm out by myself.  My little Beagle, Emma, is pretty strong for her size and does not lift her nose off the ground for one second while we are walking, which can be a bit challenging at times!

I lost the weight I had gained and another 4lbs at my next monthly weigh in. I have lost 64lbs so far. :)

That's fantastic, Janet! :clapping:

I need to start trying to do something more regularly again.  Perhaps this weekend would be a good time to get a routine started.  I'm usually so tired when I get home from work, especially if I've had to do something on the way home, that I just can't be bothered, and then the weekend just seems so short, I want to do my other hobbies which are all sedentary, but I could try and fit in more walking, especially when the weather gets a bit better.

Well done Jänet, you're doing an amazing job! :smile2:

That's fantastic, Janet! :clapping:

Thanks, Sari and Claire. :)

I'm glad you've enjoyed your walk, Sari - and discovered a new library.  I hope you like it when you manage to catch it open.

Claire - other stuff I did definitely takes a bit of a back seat now I'm walking, but I really, really enjoy my walks (although I'm definitely a fair-weather walker).  I hope you do too when you are able to do some.

Ooooh, have fun with it, Sari, and let us know what you think! :D I LOVE taking my belly dancing class and while it's a low-impact form of exercise, it's very intense and works all those lovely core muscles.  I also hope that all my Lebanese ancestors aren't too disturbed watching me do it  :giggle2:.

I'm sure your Lebanese ancestors are cheering you on! Shake that moneymaker! :lol: 

I know it doesn't seem like one's doing a lot when just jiggling one's belly but I know it's pretty intense. And it craves concentration. I have a really crappy posture so it should help with that, too. My friend, the belly dancer, always says that it makes one more comfortable in one's own skin. And one's 'womanity' :D I wouldn't mind getting me some of that!!

I need to start trying to do something more regularly again.  Perhaps this weekend would be a good time to get a routine started.  I'm usually so tired when I get home from work, especially if I've had to do something on the way home, that I just can't be bothered, and then the weekend just seems so short, I want to do my other hobbies which are all sedentary, but I could try and fit in more walking, especially when the weather gets a bit better.

I think this weekend would be an excellent start, since it's a long weekend. Just don't let it get in the way of the read-a-thon, aye? :giggle2: 

I'm glad you've enjoyed your walk, Sari - and discovered a new library.  I hope you like it when you manage to catch it open.

It has really strange opening hours. Really short ones. It's only a very small library, so it's understandable. I knew it wasn't open as long as the one I always go to, so it was really my own fault for not checking beforehand :D But it was a chance thing: I only decided when I'd left the apartment that I'd see if I could find it :) 

I think I ought to make a list of the places I want to see, and then I could just choose one and walk there. For instance, now that I'm living really close to the sea, I'd love to walk to the beach and see it :) And there's a horse race arena close by, the one where my brother's been to, and so that might be interesting... And there's also the Akseli Gallen-Kallela museum really close by... (He was one of the most known painters in Finland)

Thanks, Sari and Claire. :)

Claire - other stuff I did definitely takes a bit of a back seat now I'm walking, but I really, really enjoy my walks (although I'm definitely a fair-weather walker).  I hope you do too when you are able to do some.

Thanks Janet, I really want to make an effort to do add walking into daily life.  My dad is only 15 minutes walk away from me, but as I drive past it on my way home from work, I tend to just stop on the way, but if I was to drive home and walk there, it would at least give me 30 mins walking a few days during the week, and then I could just do some longer walks at the weekend … as long as it doesn't rain! :D

I think this weekend would be an excellent start, since it's a long weekend. Just don't let it get in the way of the read-a-thon, aye? :giggle2:

It would be an addition to the read-a-thon! I could listen to a book while I'm walking :lol:

I'm sure your Lebanese ancestors are cheering you on! Shake that moneymaker! :lol:

I know it doesn't seem like one's doing a lot when just jiggling one's belly but I know it's pretty intense. And it craves concentration. I have a really crappy posture so it should help with that, too. My friend, the belly dancer, always says that it makes one more comfortable in one's own skin. And one's 'womanity' :D I wouldn't mind getting me some of that!!

I think I ought to make a list of the places I want to see, and then I could just choose one and walk there. For instance, now that I'm living really close to the sea, I'd love to walk to the beach and see it :) And there's a horse race arena close by, the one where my brother's been to, and so that might be interesting... And there's also the Akseli Gallen-Kallela museum really close by... (He was one of the most known painters in Finland)

I agree on what your friend said, Sari.  That was one of the first things our instructor said to us, that it would build confidence and only add to self-image.  

I wonder if there are any Alvar Aalto buildings/houses you could see on your walks.  He was such a terrific designer and architect... I would love to see his buildings in person!  

Well sone to everyone who is making efforts and achieving great thing due to healthier eating and exercise.. I have been a bit sidetracked with my eating, Steve has been home for 2 weeks and he is a bad example (Mr Carbs!) plus we have been out and about more which makes it harder to stick to my way of eating (low carbs/sugar). I've put on a few pounds but these will come off once he is back to work and I'm walking the dogs more. We have booked a cruise for a week in August so I need to be able to fit and look half decent in my cossie! :)

I agree on what your friend said, Sari.  That was one of the first things our instructor said to us, that it would build confidence and only add to self-image.  

I wonder if there are any Alvar Aalto buildings/houses you could see on your walks.  He was such a terrific designer and architect... I would love to see his buildings in person!  

I did a little search when I first read your post and I had no idea but I've actually seen a few of his buildings and been into some! Whenever I go to Helsinki by train (no matter if I'm coming from Espoo or if I was coming from Joensuu or Nurmes, the places I've lived in previously and my hometown), I can see the Finlandia house he designed. 

I've also seen and been to Kirjatalo, which is one of the big buildings right in the center of Helsinki. It's where the biggest bookshop in Finland is, called the Academic Bookshop :) 

When I was still with my ex and he lived in Helsinki, I would sometimes walk from his place to the railway station and I would pass the Kulttuuritalo

(He also designed a few buildings in Otaniemi which is in Espoo and only maybe 5 kilometers from my place, so I could easily go and see them.)

Wow, and I just found out that I've walked past a church in Lahti that he designed :o 

I've also seen the Stora-Enso building... 

Eat less, move more is my current mantra Claire, sometimes easier said than done though. Beautiful day today though so off for a long walk then will be doing some gardening this afternoon including cutting the front and back lawns.. Moving more plus less time for snacking! ;):)

So, yesterday I bit the bullet and went along to a Slimming World class for the first time. My sister has been going to one in Aberdeen for a few months and has had great success, so I thought it can't hurt to try it too. I've already dropped 21lbs myself, but was kind of stalling a bit, and I usually find that if I try something completely new, it kicks me out of the boredom circle and kick starts things for me again, so I went along.

First thing that happened was I found out just how far out of whack my scales at home are - I am 4lbs lighter than I thought I was. This was a nice boost to begin with, as I was worried it would be the other way around! Anyway, I have now ditched my own scales and will only be weighted once a week at the classes. I was also astonished at how much we can eat on the plan. There are loads of "free" foods, which you can eat as much as you like. Now, I expected it to be all veg, and. to an extent, fruit, but it also includes meat! Honestly, I can eat as much chicken and fish and beef and pork as I like - even bacon, providing I cut off the fat and skin. This is AWESOME!

So this lunchtime, I am having homemade Boston baked beans (done in the slow cooker - they're just thickening up now and smell delicious), which work out at 1 "syn", with eggs and homemade chunky chips (which are both FREE!!!), and then tonight I'm making a chicken curry with rice and a side salad.

My ballroom and Latin American dance class restarts tonight, and I am SO excited it's ridiculous! Having been away through the holidays and then being ill when we returned, I haven't been able to get to the gym in a couple of weeks, but I will be going on Saturday and I will also be doing the aquafit class on Sunday night, then I'll be back to my 2-3 gym sessions a week as of next week, plus the dance class and aquafit class. Should get me all toned up, fit and healthy in good fashion!

As the weather was nice, decided to walk to meet my friends this evening. It's about a mile and it was lovely waking there with my audiobook on. Took it at just a stroll going so I wouldn't be too hot and sweaty when I got there, but pushed the pace a bit more coming home. A nice mild evening, so it was a nice way to get in a little bit more exercise this week. :)

Sari, I'm so jealous that you can see all those Aalto buildings! Way to go on researching and finding out about all of them, too :D One day I'll get there to see them with my own eyes.

I usually weigh myself once a week as well, at the gym. We have an old fashioned non-digital scale at home so it's hard to get down to the ounce. Not that I've been wanting to get on it this week, ugh. According to my heart rate monitor I burn on average 500+ calories during each dance class and still I don't notice much of a loss, and I'm taking 4 classes a week! Grrr...

Sari, I'm so jealous that you can see all those Aalto buildings! Way to go on researching and finding out about all of them, too :D One day I'll get there to see them with my own eyes.

I usually weigh myself once a week as well, at the gym. We have an old fashioned non-digital scale at home so it's hard to get down to the ounce. Not that I've been wanting to get on it this week, ugh. According to my heart rate monitor I burn on average 500+ calories during each dance class and still I don't notice much of a loss, and I'm taking 4 classes a week! Grrr...

I think that 500 calories burned dancing is very good. I walk 6 days a week on the treadmill. Each day I walk for 55 minutes at a speed of 4 miles per hour and only burn 352 calories per walk. My heart rate is quite low due to all the walking and is normally between 45 and 50. Of course it gets much higher while on the treadmill. :)

I walked to the bus stop after the one I normally get on, both going and coming back from the shops, so got a little bit extra walking in there, and I'm going to try and do something at home this afternoon too. Still small steps, but it all adds up, so hopefully I'll build up to a bit more each week over the coming weeks. :)

Just looked at my dashboard on Map My Walk and it says I've walked 39 miles this week so far (has not yet updated to include this afternoon's walk and there will be tomorrow's too .. so I should do at least 45 miles in total.) Pretty good going but the diet has gone to the dogs this week so I don't feel any benefits from it .. weight wise at least. Alan's birthday is coming up and we've already had one or two treat days out and there's more to come next week  :blush2: I do feel better when I walk as in energy levels. I felt so washed out today that I didn't want to go out for my afternoon walk but when I did I felt much better. It helps that it's not too hot out there. It's very pleasant walking weather.

Need to keep it up and combine it with 'elfy eating :D I might actually get somewhere then  :blush2: Summer is only a sniff away .. need to shift some more weight before then.