Health and Fitness

Kylie

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't take any .. I hope I get enough in my diet :blush2:  I love milk and oily fish and nuts and stuff. The one thing I struggle with is fruit .. I'm not fruits biggest fan in it's natural state. If you do something unhealthy with it like make it into a jam or a pie etc .. then I love it  :blush2: I try and eat some stuff canned in natural juice .. it's not the best option but I can at least get it down. Bananas and grapes I quite like but don't eat them as often as I should. I only ever eat strawberries doused in cream and sugar  :blush2: 

The fruit I probably eat the most of is lemons  :o squeezed in and over stuff. I use lots of lemon and I love it.

I've decided to enter a fun run/walk called the City2Surf later this year.

Here's some info: In August every year, Sydney hosts a fun run called the City2Surf. It's an exceptionally popular event, and numbers are capped at around 85,000 people. There are several groups you can race in depending on how serious you are. There are hardcore runners, who leave first (people come from overseas to compete, and the race is televised), then a few other groups, and then the 'back of the pack', which is where the casual joggers and walkers (like me) come into it. It's also quite a dress-up occasion, with people wearing superhero outfits and Star Wars stuff etc. I think a lot of the costumed people are guys who don't even bother finishing; they find a good pub to stop at along the way and then start drinking. :D The course is 14 km and runs from the Sydney CBD (outside my old workplace) to Bondi Beach. It winds through a few suburbs and up and down hills (including the notorious 'Heartbreak Hill').

I went in it once—in 2009 I think, when I was younger and a lot fitter (although still not very fit by normal standards) than I am now. I remember high-fiving my friend every time we reached another kilometre, so it must have been tough on me (I think I've fortunately blocked out the pain). This means that I need to do a lot of work in the next 6 months to get fit enough to be able to finish it.

One of the best things about it is that you can raise money for a charity of your choice if you want to. I didn't do it last time, but I've decided that I want to raise money for brain cancer research (as I lost my dad to it last year). I've signed up and set up a sponsorship page. I've never done anything like this before, and I'm not really expecting to raise much money (this is when being an introvert can suck—if I had more friends I could raise more money!) but any amount will help. So I have a very good incentive to finish the race. I watched Run Lola Run the other day, with the guy (Simon Pegg) who enters a marathon to try and win back his ex, but he finishes hours and hours after everyone else has packed up and gone home. Even if that's what happens to me, I will finish!

There's a lovely river walk close to my home that I haven't done for a while. It's a 7 km loop that goes from one road bridge to another. I've walked it several times before, and rode my bike along it a few times as well. I want to start doing that walk a couple of times a week, and then build up to two loops (14 km) shortly before the City2Surf. Actually, in between the 7 and 14 km walks, I could include an extra bit to and from my house, perhaps. To keep things interesting, I'd like to incorporate a few bushwalks as well. I'm fortunate to live relatively close to a lot of bushwalking areas (especially in the Blue Mountains), and there are many walks of varying lengths and difficulty.

So if all goes to plan, I'll get fit(ter), lose a bit of weight and raise money for a very worthwhile cause. Something to look forward to! (Or not. I hate exercising. :()

Wow Kylie, that's great!! This run/walk (sorry, I can't use the term "fun run" - it's an oxymoron for me  :giggle2: ) can be as an incentive to fitter etc.  That is also rather terrifying, isn't it (introvert-wise) ? But since you have done it previously, it's not an unknown quantity. Good for you Kylie  :e010:

Fun run is definitely an oxymoron for me too. :D I've never, ever been able to run, and I certainly don't intend to this time either! If I can keep up a moderate pace I'll be very happy (I'd be horrified if I came last!)

• 2 weeks later...

So, it turns out that being lazy can be a good thing. A few weeks ago I bought several packets of various frozen fruits to use in smoothies. They have been sitting in my freezer, unused, ever since. Then a couple of days ago it transpired that some frozen fruit products imported from China were contaminated with Hepatitis A. Around one dozen people have contracted the disease and hundreds more could be affected. The affected brand recalled their products, but luckily it wasn't the brand I had bought. Then a couple of days later my brand *did* recall some of its products! It's such a good thing I was too lazy to make smoothies out of them! :o Hopefully I'll be able to get a refund on my purchases.

It makes me so angry that we send so much of our home-grown produce, which is grown to the highest-quality standards, overseas and then import far inferior products.  :censored: This contamination scare is the biggest news item here at the moment, and it's getting a lot of people riled up. I doubt anything will come of it, but it would be wonderful if our voices were loud enough to demand change so we could consume our own products.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this thread up! :) How's everyone doing? 

I've been not so great... But I've put a stop to that now and I'm going to get back on track. I bought a notebook that has these dividers, and so the notebook is made up of five different sections. I've dedicated it to making my life a bit better. The first section is about my uni paper (I've made clear notes of the deadline and I'm also using the section as space to make notes on the paper, things I need to do etc. The second section is about money. As I'm not well off at the moment I thought it would be important and clever to note down my daily purchases and how much money I've got so I could see how much I'm wasting on useless things, and how much money goes to things I actually need. This will hopefully reduce impulse shopping. Third section is a food journal. I've never been a fan of keeping one, but I thought that since I haven't been making any real progress in some months, maybe I could see if keeping a food journal would help. I hope it makes me more aware of the things I consume. The fourth section is a sports journal: I write down all the activities I do during the day. And the fifth one is about time, and what I do with it every day :D Yesterday I wrote down how much time I spent on my uni paper and the 4H club and the walk there and back. It wasn't too many hours of something constructive! Noting these things down will hopefully make me more aware of how much time I waste on silly, silly things. I think it helped yesterday: I had an hour before a TV show I wanted to watch yesterday and normally I might've used that time on FB and the forum and maybe playing Carcassonne online, but then I decided I'd read The Rosie Effect instead. Progress! 

One new thing that I hope will work for me: I have a new flatmate, and she is studying to become a cook, and she lifts weight. I hope her healthy habits will rub off on me :D 

I had a terrible few days, health-wise, due to going to London and coming back to a house devoid of food. I went shopping today and bought healthy food for the rest of the week.

The upside to this is, I've had McDonalds, O Briens' Sandwiches, Cadbury Snacks (the pink ones, they're going out of production dontcha know!) and Giant Buttons, Vanilla Coke (bless you, England), pizza, jelly sweets and cake in the last 4 days - and honestly, not one of those things made me go 'I want to go back to my old eating habits'. I'm perfectly content to resume my healthy eating tomorrow, which is such a massive thing for me. It means I really stand a chance of losing the excess weight once and for all.

Swings and roundabouts for me, I have been eating fairly healthily .. ish  :blush2: Last week was birthday week and that put a great big spanner in the works. I did try and limit it though and had got back on the wagon by Friday. Managing to get lots of walks in .. sometimes three a day .. usually for about an hour each. My scales aren't working .. they were fluctuating but now they've actually died so I must get some new ones (these ones are going back .. I've only had them a few months) otherwise you can't gauge how you're doing.

School reunion is at the end of March .. or the week before actually. I'm not going to be able to make radical changes by then but I can at least feel more healthy and hopefully get my hair and skin to behave. 

I was looking at some sort of coconut hair serum in the shops and thinking .. shall I? Possibly I can try it out .. might put a glossy sheen on it .. might just make it frizz or fall out :unsure: Similarly I was looking at all the stuff you put on your face .. deep cleansing and all of that. My skin is a bit awkward .. it doesn't like most things and it especially dislikes anything containing flower extracts. The only product it will tolerate is Nivea .. even then it only likes the jar :blush2: So .. it's all a minefield. I know it's best to stick with what works .. but then it isn't really working .. my face sometimes feels like sandpaper .. lots of tiny spots :blush2: The thing is .. you don't know if using something else would improve matters or not. I can't afford to experiment .. for one thing cost and another thing .. blotchy face .. not a good look!  :blush2:  I do try and drink lots of water. 

I want to be healthy for this summer. I know that my shorts days are behind me .. I've come to terms with that now :D but I'd like to be confident enough to go cardigan-free :D

• 3 weeks later...

This is a great thread! :D I wish you all luck.

I'm not looking to lose weight, but trying to eat healthier. I won't go into too much detail, but last year I had a few health problems and I had to have quite a few tests done because doctors thought I had Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis. Thankfully I don't have either, and was discharged not long after Christmas. Since then I've had to keep a very close eye on what I eat to see what triggers my symptoms, keeping a concise food and symptom diary including all the ingredients. It's a pain, but I've eliminated white bread, alcohol and carbonated drinks (not that I ever had much of either anyway) and cut down on caffeinated drinks. I also try to do my own cooking from scratch when I have the energy so I know exactly what I'm eating (although on days like today, when I crashed on my bed at about eleven and was too exhausted to move until a few hours later, it's harder), and I am feeling better. However, trying to eat healthily as a vegetarian student can be a right pain in the neck, and sometimes it's all too easy to pick up the special offer choccies or to eat a Wispa bar with a hot chocolate before bed after a long day.

I would also like to improve my fitness. For my second year field trip, there's a few of us going to the Malaysian jungle for two weeks, and obviously you have to be quite fit to deal with the conditions. While I go for a lot of long walks, I'm nowhere near fit enough to deal with the jungle, so it's my mission from now to slowly but surely build that fitness and stamina up ready for the jungle! :D It'd also be nice to beat my friend in his morning runs :P

• 2 weeks later...

Are you training for your City2Surf day, Kylie? How's it going? :)

In the UK the Simon Pegg film you mentioned is called Run Fatboy Run. Your title is much kinder!

I had a small gain in January but I'm not worried about it. I weigh four-weekly so my next one is in two weeks. I weigh at our leisure centre. I don't have scales at home as I think it encourages weighing too often, which isn't good, because as Kay said, the results fluctuate too much and some personality types (my own included) would develop an unhealthy obsession with weighing. :)

I lost the weight I had gained and another 4lbs at my next monthly weigh in. I have lost 64lbs so far. :)

Your journal sounds a great idea, Sari. I hope it's working out well.

I hope you're back on track, Noll.

Kay - I have problem skin (in terms of what I can tolerate cream/moisturiser-wise. I tend to stick to Simple products. My skin has improved immensely since I started drinking more water about a year ago.

Tiger. Malaysia sounds exciting. I hope you get to the bottom of what's causing your medical problems.

I'm glad things are going well for you, Gaia.

I hope I didn't miss anyone.

I have asked my children not to buy me chocolate for Easter so I shan't get too much this year (probably some Lindor truffles from Peter).

It looks like everyone is doing great with their health and/or weight loss! :)  There are a lot of good ideas floating around and I have taken note

I've been struggling lately because even though I take Zumba class 3 times a week and belly dancing once a week, I haven't really been shedding that much weight in the month or so I've been doing it.  I need to somehow try to find the right combo of exercise and types of food I'm eating so my body can get in gear.  I downloaded the My Fitness Pal app and have started to record everything I eat, so we'll see what comes of that.  

I lost the weight I had gained and another 4lbs at my next monthly weigh in. I have lost 64lbs so far. :)

Well done Jänet, you're doing an amazing job! :smile2:

Your journal sounds a great idea, Sari. I hope it's working out well.

Nah, I've been too lazy to commit to writing in it every day :blush: Also there was stress about finishing my uni paper....

.... But tadaaaa! I finished it yesterday! Needs a bit of a tweek, but only a minor thing. Then I'm done with it and life should be getting so much better   :yahoo: 

I make a pact with a fit, exercise-enjoying friend of mine: we would keep account of the time we spend on walks for two weeks and then 'compare and contrast' :D I'd told her that I wanted to lose weight and instead of making a bet on who loses more weight with another friend, this fit friend of mine suggested why not try to compete in how much exercise one does during a certain period of time. I thought that was a brilliant idea, especially when I can't normally be bothered to go for walks. 

So I went for a walk yesterday and it was nice, and I even located a new library I haven't yet been to. Too bad it was closed! But I can go there some other time :)  

I've lost some more weight recently, which I'm very happy with.

That's awesome, keep up with the good work! :smile2: 

I've been struggling lately because even though I take Zumba class 3 times a week and belly dancing once a week, I haven't really been shedding that much weight in the month or so I've been doing it.  I need to somehow try to find the right combo of exercise and types of food I'm eating so my body can get in gear.  I downloaded the My Fitness Pal app and have started to record everything I eat, so we'll see what comes of that.

I hope the app will do the job for you! :smile2: Whether or not your shedding kilos at the moment, at least you're doing a lot of exercise and that's making you healthier in itself. That's brilliant! :smile2: 

Nah, I've been too lazy to commit to writing in it every day :blush: Also there was stress about finishing my uni paper....

.... But tadaaaa! I finished it yesterday! Needs a bit of a tweek, but only a minor thing. Then I'm done with it and life should be getting so much better   :yahoo: 

I make a pact with a fit, exercise-enjoying friend of mine: we would keep account of the time we spend on walks for two weeks and then 'compare and contrast' :D I'd told her that I wanted to lose weight and instead of making a bet on who loses more weight with another friend, this fit friend of mine suggested why not try to compete in how much exercise one does during a certain period of time. I thought that was a brilliant idea, especially when I can't normally be bothered to go for walks. 

So I went for a walk yesterday and it was nice, and I even located a new library I haven't yet been to. Too bad it was closed! But I can go there some other time :)  

That's awesome, keep up with the good work! :smile2:

Congratulations on (almost) finishing your paper!! And a new library, that sounds nice :)! Can you use one card for all the libraries in your city? Good luck with the walks :).

Congratulations on (almost) finishing your paper!! And a new library, that sounds nice :)! Can you use one card for all the libraries in your city? Good luck with the walks :).

Thanks! Yep, I can use my library card in any of the libraries in Espoo, Kauniainen, Vantaa and Helsinki (these cities make up the Helsinki metropolitan area, helmet, which is the library card I have for). Pretty cool! :cool:

Edited by frankie

Thanks! Yep, I can use my library card in any of the libraries in Espoo, Kauniainen, Vantaa and Helsinki (these cities make up the Helsinki metropolitan area, helmet, which is the library card I have for). Pretty cool! :cool:

That is cool :)!

My walking with the dogs has been going well, though due to the weather and a few reasons I haven't been going for walks every day. I went for walk this morning, the weather was allright at the time and the dogs really enjoyed it. It felt good to get some nice exercise and to see the dogs enjoy themselves, and I enjoyed talking with my dad too (he joins me on the walk, I am not strong enough to hold Boris on the leash).

It would make all the difference in the world if I too had dogs to take with me for walks! :wub: I'm happy that you get to do that whenever you feel like it! I hope the weather will be nicer for you soon. :)

Thanks :)! I hope you will be able one day to have dogs to take with you for a walk (or go with a friend and their dog).