Poppyshake's Reading Year 2015

poppyshake

But imagine when I chuck the throw over it and then forget about it and then landlordlady comes for a visit and sits on the couch. Squeeeeee.

:D I do hope you are well stocked with scented candles :unsure:  :D 

Oh, do you mean a bit like this?

attachicon.gifAlan.jpg

That was so funny!!

*shudders*

I guess with the spotty toast you would've had to butter the bottom side... But then of course the butter stays on the plate... But you could use a spoon to scoop a bit of it with every bite of toast... Never thought toast eating could get tricky!

:o I need to simplify my life .. I can't go complicating toast! I tried it once with the spots but that was a wake up call for me :D

Well I suppose it would be polite if one did say those things, but one usually never does, does one? 

It's hard to say .. nobody ever lives to tell the tale :D 

That was pure luck! I have to admit I only look at the cover pictures and don't investigate further. I didn't know who's the publisher and so I didn't know it was a Vintage cover. I just thought it was the nicest edition there was on BD. My own copy was a hardcover and it was nice through and through. It was a Finnish copy though and so that would explain things.

attachicon.gifDai 1.jpg

0_-2516769091861053190.jpg?itok=fu5mcwX4

Very similar to my copy .. I have a different pattern on my slippers though  :D 

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh, great review! Another one for the wishlist!

Thanks Kylie :) I must say .. I think it will look very well on your shelves :D

Ah, so you already do it  :doh:   What if you put a choccy bar under each title and you were only allowed to eat a bar after you've reviewed the book on top of it? Of course, if you have, say, five books, and you have five bars of chocolate in between, it's not going to hold, is it. The books'll come tumbling down! So I say place 3-4 chocolate bars side by side under each book. That makes for a bigger surface and the books will stay on top of the bars way more easily than if there was only one.

:D I have no will power and not much conscience .. I would eat those chocolate bars long before the reviews were done. They'd call to me and I'd persuade myself that it was a matter of life and death that I eat them. Then I'd be sick, miserable, fat, guilty and still behind with my reviews :D 

I first read that as 'I've only ever regurgitated pie on a Sunday morning pavement' and thought, well, that's better than regurgitating pie on other days of the week, too.

Yes .. I make it a rule .. Sunday's only :D

Actually, to have pie on the road like that... It would have to be uphill because can you imagine how easy it would be just to rent a skateboard and go down hill and pick all the pies up and just eat and skate one's way to fat oblivion.

It's got to be a bit more of an obstacle course .. make people work for it :D

I'm a poet,

and you know it

You so are :DThe bard of the BCF! 

Oh dear, I hope you're not more intrigued now than you were to begin with. Chuck miss Smilla! Throw her out the window! Push her through the letter box and leave out to waste away...!

Sounds extreme but necessary. We are sometimes in need of paper for the wood burner .. I will bear Miss Smilla in mind :D

Great review of Campari for Breakfast :smile2: It's funny how I was reading your post on my reading log earlier and we talked about how in some books the most fun is in the beginning, and then it sort of fades away to some extent if not altogether, and you said you actually kind of liked it. And mentioned a few books as examples. I took it all in...

... But by the time I'd come on here I'd forgotten that you'd used this book as an example, and when I was reading the review, I thought, by golly, we just talked about this very same thing in my thread and I should now respond to your review and tell you that wouldn't CfB be just the sort of book we were talking about? Memory is shorter than ... short things in life!

The book's going on my wishlist, by the way. And yes, the cover is so you :D And 'nemecyst'? Brilliant :D I love that sort of wordsmithery. Very pleasing, very witty! 

Edit: Just remembered to go and check the library's website... Again, library delivers! :D (Well that's the expression. They've ordered copies so I could place a reservation. They didn't literally just deliver a book to me in my home address... ) Thanks for mostly choosing to read books that my library has copies of.

Bit worried about you putting it on your wishlist and your library list :blush2: Think this might be another that you like more at the start :blush2: Still .. it's a library loan so I don't feel too bad and you can always look at the cover and smile which I could have done for a week or more and still been just as happy. 

I'm glad I'm in sync with your library but left to me they'd definitely hand deliver it to your door .. along with some Campari :D:hug:

I've added Campari for Breakfast to my wishlist. Not sure how I'd get on with it as I didn't like the Ukranian Tractors book, but your enthusiasm is catching!  The cover reminds me a bit of Where'd You Go, Bernadette which I loved.

Yes .. I was reminded of Where'd You Go Bernadette? too bobbs. That was a good experience for you so I hope this one will be too .. though the cover is probably the only similarity :D No .. they were both tragic and funny at the same time. Fingers crossed anyway :unsure:

I'm glad you enjoyed Campari for Breakfast so much.  Sara Crowe - she was in one of the original (or maybe it wasn't, but it was certainly some time ago) Philadelphia cheese adverts, I believe.

Edit:

:lol:

Ah yes .. that's her :D Thanks for reminding me .. I used to love those adverts. She was so ditzy .. who'd have thought she'd go on to write a brilliant book? (well .. I know she was acting ditzy but I'm incredibly impressionable Janet :D)

I can't wait to read Campari for Breakfast! As usual, you've made it sound like a brilliant book, and although not a connoisseur like yourself, I am a toast fan, so this has to make if compulsory reading now.

I've put it on the pile for you. Hope you enjoy it Claire :) I do have a habit of rhapsodising over books I love .. but at least you will enjoy the toasty stuff :D 

:D I found the same thing on youtube when I did a little digging. 

Although my reason for digging was different: I thought the name Sara Crowe sounded familiar and I started thinking she's the namesake of the Little Princess. But alas! She is Sara Crewe :)

Yeah, who needs a man, when one can manage with a new serving suggestion!! :D

Edit: And whenever you get a craving, you can just go on google and do an image search for 'serving suggestion' and feel satisfied again! 

:D

Unhelpfully, there is another writer called Sara Crowe. I thought this Sara Crowe had written another book but no .. it's someone else entirely. Bit annoying as I had my purse out and everything  :blush2: 

I read The Piano Shop on the Left Bank many years ago … probably when it first came out in paperback, but certainly before I started keeping reading lists or writing reviews, but I do remember absolutely loving it. I've still got my copy up on the shelf, and still smile when my eye passes over it, so only good memories of it from me. Hope you enjoy it, Kay. :)

Sorry Claire .. I missed this earlier. I'm glad to hear that you loved it .. very encouraging :)

Hope you like it Noll :) I think I will hide as soon as I hear that anyone else is reading it :D  :blush2: 

Hehe I do that too, I'm happy to rave about a book until someone else picks it up and then I just retreat and hide in case they don't like it :lol:

I must say .. I think it will look very well on your shelves :D

You mean next to all of the other books I've bought based on your recommendations? :P:D I should add them all up one day and work out actually how bad good an influence you've been on me. :)

Sounds extreme but necessary. We are sometimes in need of paper for the wood burner .. I will bear Miss Smilla in mind :D

Yes, please do. I hated Miss Smilla.

You mean next to all of the other books I've bought based on your recommendations? :P:D I should add them all up one day and work out actually how bad good an influence you've been on me. :)

I can imagine you sending Kay an invoice for all the money you've spent on her recommendations.  Now there's an idea … mwah hah hah!!! :lol:

Hehe I do that too, I'm happy to rave about a book until someone else picks it up and then I just retreat and hide in case they don't like it.

It is worrying and I know they'll remember it was me that recommended this particular book .. the cover will give me away :D 

You mean next to all of the other books I've bought based on your recommendations? I should add them all up one day and work out actually how bad good an influence you've been on me.

:unsure: I could do the same Missy :yes:

Yes, please do. I hated Miss Smilla.

That's sealed it then :D

I can imagine you sending Kay an invoice for all the money you've spent on her recommendations.  Now there's an idea … mwah hah hah!!! :lol:

:hide:I could raise my own invoice .. yes .. and then you'd all be sorry  :P I really need to move house now as I'm up to capacity on bookshelves .. I'll add that to my invoice  :D 

I was going to write something along those lines, but thought better of it. 

Very sensible :D

Best not to think about monetary issues when it comes to our books.

Too true .. surely I could have bought that new oven by now?  :blush2:

gonegirl.jpg
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Synopsis:
Who are you? What have we done to each other? These are the questions Nick Dunne finds himself asking on the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, when his wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they weren't made by him. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?

Review: Oh dear! I really didn't like this much at all. I didn't mind it too much to start with and thought it was a page turner (though I was listening to the audio) but I liked it less and less as the chapters went by. What I will say from the start is that plenty of people love it .. I am firmly in the minority so bear that in mind if you're considering reading it.

I'm one of the first people to object when reviewers talk about unlikeable characters. Characters don't need to be likeable .. look at Wuthering Heights? .. they're all pretty objectionable and yet it doesn't stop it from being a great story (having said that, Cathy is a great character, and there's a lot to admire in her as well as to loathe.) Here however .. it did seem to matter. You have to care about someone or it's pointless. I hated every single character .. and believed in them less. I think the person I was probably supposed to like was Go .. though possibly I hated her most .. or almost. Nick and Amy are a hard act to follow and Desi was one of the most ridiculous characters I've ever read about. They all irritated me into annoyance as well. The ideal solution would have been to have snapped the book shut, trapping all the nasty individuals within .. and squashing them to oblivion. I was listening though as I said and those Audible credits don't come cheap .. I had to suffer it out (and in fairness I will say that the narrators did a very good job.) Had I been reading .. it would have been abandoned at about the halfway point.

I do struggle with suspending disbelief. I can do it easily with surreal books .. Alice down a rabbit hole .. no problem. But if the story is supposed to be relatively true to life then my credulity can only be stretched so far before it snaps. Here it was continually tested. I thought that was one of The Girl on the Train's strong points .. that the characters were so utterly and totally believable (in the main.) Here, nobody was and they just got more and more unconvincing and the situations more implausible which cancelled out the twists and turns .. anything was likely to happen at any given moment and I wasn't surprised by any of it. I fully expected the first main twist .. it was just too obvious.

I thought the ending was dreadful .. imo the author wrote herself into a corner, a place where she had to resolve things without any idea how. Having done her best to pile twists and turns on top of each other until they were tottering .. she just seemed to let them slump to the ground. There is no way on earth that Nick would have spent one more minute on his own with Amy. There is no way that Amy would have been taken in by Nick's TV pleading and she was far too shrewd to be conned by Greta and Jeff. Having said all that, it doesn't matter .. as there was no way these characters would have done anything that they did do (I mean .. small example .. the way the author described Amy putting Nick's fingerprints on all those thousands of items which ended up in the shed .. was just piffle!!)

I was disappointed. I enjoyed TGoTT and thought I'd be in for more of the same .. they don't compare though imo. Not my cup of tea!

I still have my tree copy .. unread. If anyone would like it then just let me know and I'll happily send it along. Otherwise it's off to the Oxfam bookshop and it should consider itself lucky .. the bin is nearer  :o  ;)  :D 

You may be in a minority, but you are definitely not alone! Pretty much agree with every word. It was my 'Duffer of the Year' in 2013. Interesting that you rated The Girl on The Train - I've been avoiding it because of the association that so many have given it with Gone Girl. Might make me think again. In the meantime, I'll stick to a mutual favourite: Mrs Woolf - currently reading Night and Day, the last of her fiction for me.

Emoticons culled. Aww...

Best not to think about monetary issues when it comes to our books

Indeed! :D

:unsure: I could do the same Missy 

Maybe. :P But I'm certain I would 'win' if we were to compare the number of recommendations (I mean, I bet you've recommended more to me than I have to you ;)).

I really need to move house now as I'm up to capacity on bookshelves .. I'll add that to my invoice  

Uh oh! :o

Too true .. surely I could have bought that new oven by now?

I probably wouldn't have a mortgage anymore!  :o

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Not my cup of tea!
I still have my tree copy .. unread. If anyone would like it then just let me know and I'll happily send it along. Otherwise it's off to the Oxfam bookshop and it should consider itself lucky .. the bin is nearer  :D 

Oh dear! That's no good. I still have it on my TBR pile, so I'll probably read it one day. I made my Mum read it first (she likes that genre) and I remember she had a lot of trouble getting into it, but I think she enjoyed it by the end.

You may be in a minority, but you are definitely not alone! Pretty much agree with every word. It was my 'Duffer of the Year' in 2013. Interesting that you rated The Girl on The Train - I've been avoiding it because of the association that so many have given it with Gone Girl. Might make me think again. In the meantime, I'll stick to a mutual favourite: Mrs Woolf - currently reading Night and Day, the last of her fiction for me.

Glad I'm not alone  :D I would recommend The Girl on the Train although it wasn't without its problems. If you can borrow it from the library or something then it's worth giving it a go. I listened to it and it was excellently read. Hope you enjoy Night and Day .. well done for almost reaching the end (or commiserations .. though of course .. there's always plenty more Virginia with the essays etc.) You'll soon be in a position to tell us which is your favourite novel of hers :)

Awww it's a shame you didn't enjoy it so much. I hope your next read will be more enjoyable!

Thanks Gaia .. not to worry .. we can't like all books. I'm a bit relieved actually .. it was going too well  :D 

Maybe. :P But I'm certain I would 'win' if we were to compare the number of recommendations (I mean, I bet you've recommended more to me than I have to you ;)).

Possibly you would win on amount of recommended books you've bought .. but that's because you're a book buying machine Kylie :D

Uh oh! :o

Yes .. be afraid Missy :D

I probably wouldn't have a mortgage anymore!  :o

We'd be a lot richer 'tis true .. but then we're rich with knowledge and words .. at least .. one would hope so  :blush2: 

Oh dear! That's no good. I still have it on my TBR pile, so I'll probably read it one day. I made my Mum read it first (she likes that genre) and I remember she had a lot of trouble getting into it, but I think she enjoyed it by the end.

Lots of people love it .. Frankie does for a start .. so fear not! You may well get on well with it :)

I had similar emotions regarding Gone Girl although I didn't hate it, I did think that it was flawed in a lot of ways.

I'm glad it wasn't just me :) At one point it would have got a 'liked it' because I was initially intrigued but that was pretty early on. 

Hope you enjoy Night and Day .. well done for almost reaching the end (or commiserations .. though of course .. there's always plenty more Virginia with the essays etc.) You'll soon be in a position to tell us which is your favourite novel of hers :)

I think I already am, for as much as I'm enjoying Night and Day, it's not as good as some of her others.  I think I'd put To The Lighthouse just at the top, although it's a tight decision between that and The YearsBetween the Acts and Mrs Dalloway are both close behind, but The Waves will need at least two or three more readings before I quite make up my mind about it!  Weakest is definitely Flush.

As for the essays: I've got them lined up on the shelves, Volumes 1 to 6 (first editions!), plus her letters (ditto) and diaries (paperbacks!)......!!

I think I already am, for as much as I'm enjoying Night and Day, it's not as good as some of her others.  I think I'd put To The Lighthouse just at the top, although it's a tight decision between that and The YearsBetween the Acts and Mrs Dalloway are both close behind, but The Waves will need at least two or three more readings before I quite make up my mind about it!  Weakest is definitely Flush.

As for the essays: I've got them lined up on the shelves, Volumes 1 to 6 (first editions!), plus her letters (ditto) and diaries (paperbacks!)......!!

I would choose To The Lighthouse too .. though I haven't read them all yet .. I doubt I'll change my mind. Also loved Orlando and The Voyage Out .. suspect I will eventually come to love Mrs Dalloway after my earlier struggles. I need to re-read it soon.

You have lots left to keep you busy. I must get on with the letters .. I've read the selected versions of both the letters and diaries but that's just skimming the surface really. I should do that soon or at least start because I've done nothing towards climbing Mount Virginia this year  :blush2: 

Oh dear, you really didn't like Gone Girl. Entertaining review, as usual, though! :D

I'm one of the ones who enjoyed Gone Girl (though I didn't like the film). I enjoyed the twists and turns, and got completely taken in by them....didn't see them coming at all. :D Like a lot of people, I disliked the ending and thought it was silly. Interesting on the comparisons to (or contrasts with) The Girl On The Train, which I am making my next read. I wonder if I will enjoy that one as much as I'm hoping to.

I would choose To The Lighthouse too .. though I haven't read them all yet .. I doubt I'll change my mind. Also loved Orlando and The Voyage Out .. suspect I will eventually come to love Mrs Dalloway after my earlier struggles. I need to re-read it soon.

It was rereading Mrs Dalloway (I can't remember why) that really turned me on to Virginia Woolf, so I can certainly recommend a return!  Oddly, I absolutely love the film of Orlando, but never really settled to the book - maybe too much of the film in my mind (it's unusual for me to do it that way round, but I saw the film as a teenager, long before I was even really aware of the books).  I enjoyed The Voyage Out (but then it's only Flush that came close to not!)  but it just didn't feel quite as rounded as her later books.

Edited by willoyd

It was rereading Mrs Dalloway (I can't remember why) that really turned me on to Virginia Woolf, so I can certainly recommend a return!  Oddly, I absolutely love the film of Orlando, but never really settled to the book - maybe too much of the film in my mind (it's unusual for me to do it that way round, but I saw the film as a teenager, long before I was even really aware of the books).  I enjoyed The Voyage Out (but then it's only Flush that came close to not!)  but it just didn't feel quite as rounded as her later books.

I must watch Orlando .. I mean to every year and then somehow I forget. I do like Tilda anyway so I'm pretty sure I'll love it  :smile: