Steve's Bookshelf 2015

Karsa Orlong

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funniest review I've read in a long time :lol:! Very creative :).

Thanks! :smile:   I was getting a bit bored with writing the same thing for each book :giggle2:

Why would it have been a natural conclusion to the series? Has every single one been set during the Napoleonic wars?

Yes, they have :smile:   Although he did kind of 'stretch' time over the course of a few books, meaning they went off and did stuff that should have taken years but only took a few weeks/months in 'O'Brian time' :giggle2:

And you said there's one and a half books left . . . I've forgotten, is that because one of them is unfinished, or is it a short story?

It's unfinished.  I've got it, and shall read it out of curiosity, purely to see what I imagine is going to be a rough draft.  I believe they've reproduced some of his handwritten notes in there, too - I haven't looked at it too closely as yet for fear of spoiling something.

Hmm, I have Master and Commander in my vast TBR. After your review, I may even read it this century.  :o

I won't hold my breath - I've seen your TBR pile(s)  :giggle2:

There`s nothing more annoying than buying in two minds about buying something, succumbing, then seeing a major pricedrop. Nothing.  :doh: 

Oh there is, you know - being in two minds, not buying it, then wanting it at a later date and finding that it's no longer available anywhere. :o:hide:

Or, worse even than that, owning something, getting rid of it, then wanting it again, and then finding out you can't get it anywhere anymore :o :o :hide:

:giggle2:

*sigh* Just been listening to an interview on Radio 5 and there was yet another person saying 'chomping at the bit' instead of 'champing at the bit'.  That's about three times in as many days  :doh:   I definitely had a Nelson moment . . . 

I won't hold my breath - I've seen your TBR pile(s)  :giggle2:

I`ve even started a new pile on the dining room table.  :blush2:  And there`s a pile of books on the floor near my bed that the cat now likes to walk around on, so I can`t possible move those ( she wanders from my book table to the book piles and then on to my bedside table ). 

Oh there is, you know - being in two minds, not buying it, then wanting it at a later date and finding that it's no longer available anywhere:o  :hide:

Or, worse even than that, owning something, getting rid of it, then wanting it again, and then finding out you can't get it anywhere anymore  :o  :o  :hide:

You`re right ! Those are far, far worse - and that`s why I buy so many out of print books, `cos there`s a limited supply. Well, that`s what I tell myself.  :smile:

Edited by Little Pixie

Blue at the Mizzen (Aubrey/Maturin Book #20) by Patrick O'Brian

post-6588-0-05177900-1442437390_thumb.jpg

1999 - Harper ebook - 289 pages

The 20th episode, Blue at the Mizzen, is another swashbuckling adventure on the high seas, complete with romantic escapades from smoggy London to Sierra Leone, diplomacy, espionage, the intricacies of warfare, and imperial brinksmanship.

You know, the wording of that blurb is interesting.  'The 20th episode'.  A very appropriate choice of word, that.  It's very, very rare that I read multiple books by the same author, in the same series, in such quick succession, but here I sit, having read thirteen of Patrick O'Brian's 'Aubrey/Maturin' novels this year.  Much of that is down to his flowing, gorgeous writing.  A lot of it is down to his wonderful characters, all of whom seem to have become old friends.  And a good deal of it is because, as I got deeper and deeper into the series, each 'novel' began to feel like it was a chapter in a much larger book.  An episode, yes, and when you watch one episode there is always the urge to dive straight into the next one.  Compulsive viewing, compulsive reading, it's all one and the same.

I'm struggling for how to express myself about this, the final completed 'episode' in the series.  I feel like I need to say something profound (a rarity, I know! :lol: ), not just about this book but about the series as a whole, something that sums up how - in such a brief time - it has upended all my preconceptions, obliterated all my misgivings in the early going when all those nautical terms threatened to push me away, and become my favourite series of books that I've read to date, usurping Malazan and stealing its crown quietly, easily, with a minimum of fuss and a glint in its eye.  It's something I'm going to have to think about, and maybe come back to later, when I can put all these thoughts in order.

The story of this final episode could be seen as irrelevant, I suppose.  The war is over.  The navy is being wound down.  Jack is given a private commission that involves taking Stephen back to Chile to get involved in the struggle for independence there.  In a lot of ways, what O'Brian does here is replay many events that happened in the five book sequence just a short while ago (a short while in my reading time, that is).  There's time to stop off and see the family, time to miss those that were lost, time for a romantic interlude that was telegraphed in the last book but seems a little off given what happened between books 18 and 19.

But it doesn't matter.  Given that O'Brian didn't intend for it to be the last (I get the feeling he would've carried on writing these books until the end of the world, if he could have), it somehow becomes a perfect send-off for Jack Aubrey, a last hurrah, a wave goodbye, and - as the last page is turned and the hero sails off into the sunset - it's easy to imagine these characters sailing on into adventure after adventure forevermore. 

So, rather than feeling sad that I will never get to experience another new story, I actually feel happy.  When I turned that final page and read those final lines I did so not with a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye (well, not much of one anyway), but with a smile on my face.  When I read the first book, Master and Commander, a couple of years ago, I never for one moment thought I'd go on to read the whole series.  But I have, and I've loved every moment of it.  There isn't a bad book among them.  There's a lot of excitement, a lot of fear, a lot of laughs, a fair bit of romance, and a whole bunch of atmosphere.  It's not a series of books but a recreation of a world and a time so perfectly executed that you can get lost in it completely.  I did, and I don't really want to leave it.

But here I am and the not-quite-end and, rather than feeling bereft, I feel excited, because I know that one day I will return to the beginning and view the whole enterprise with new, eager eyes.

So for anyone bothering to have read my reviews, if you're still here, and if you're even slightly contemplating reading these books and entering this world for the first time, I can only say this: I envy you.

:smile:

Wow, congratulations on (sort of) finishing off this series. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. I, for one, enjoyed reading your reviews about the books. It must be a rare series if you compare it to Malazan because I know how deep your love for that series goes. These books might not necessarily be for me, but it has been nice reading your reviews and you never know if I might give them a try (like if I were to find it cheap or at the library). It appears that only half of the series has been translated into Dutch, a crying shame even if I haven't read the books. I'm glad you really enjoyed reading this series.

Wow, congratulations on (sort of) finishing off this series. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. I, for one, enjoyed reading your reviews about the books. It must be a rare series if you compare it to Malazan because I know how deep your love for that series goes. These books might not necessarily be for me, but it has been nice reading your reviews and you never know if I might give them a try (like if I were to find it cheap or at the library). It appears that only half of the series has been translated into Dutch, a crying shame even if I haven't read the books. I'm glad you really enjoyed reading this series.

Thanks! :smile:   Seems odd that they only translated half of it - I guess it didn't sell too well over there :shrug:

Hi Steve - just caught up with your thread! Enjoyed reading about your jury service :D but how disappointing you didn't get to see a case!

Yeah  :lol:  I'm not sure how I feel about it.  All the nerves leading up to it, then nothing happened :doh:   I'm glad it's over, at least for a couple of years :smile:

Aw, it`s a great feeling when you have re-reads to really look forward to.  :D

Glad that the final book was as good as the rest ; are you going to give the unfinished book a looksie next ?  :smile:

No, I decided to hold that back for a while.  I wasn't sure how I'd feel if I read it straight after, like it might diminish the ending of Blue at the Mizzen, somehow :unsure:  Cos that was as good an ending as I could've hoped for really, given the circumstances.  I've read other series that have had definite conclusions and their endings haven't been half as good.  So I'll leave it a week or two, or maybe longer, before reading it - I'll see how I feel. 

I went for a complete change of pace instead and made a start on The Quantum Thief this morning.  It's bonkers :giggle2:

Yeah  :lol:  I'm not sure how I feel about it.  All the nerves leading up to it, then nothing happened :doh:   I'm glad it's over, at least for a couple of years :smile:

Yes I suppose it must be quite nerve-wracking to go on a jury, all the responsibility etc. Maybe not getting a case was a good thing in some ways!

What a lovely review of the final Aubrey/Maturin book, Steve. :) Or should I call it an ode? :D It's pretty amazing that the series ended up with such a good finish; are there any books that would instead have been an awful end to the series?

And are there any other series' similar to O'Brian that you're going to try?

Yes I suppose it must be quite nerve-wracking to go on a jury, all the responsibility etc. Maybe not getting a case was a good thing in some ways!

That's why I'm not sure how I feel about it - I got into a court room and took the oath, so that was the bit that was making me nervous out of the way, so it would've been interesting if it had gone ahead.  Bizarrely, given my aversion to standing up and talking in front of a room full of people, I was even thinking (overnight, when we were sent home and told to come back for the trial the following morning) that I'd be okay with being foreman of the jury.  I guess I was getting a bit over-confident having got the oath out of the way.  And then, of course, the trial was cancelled :doh:  :lol:

What a lovely review of the final Aubrey/Maturin book, Steve. :) Or should I call it an ode? :D It's pretty amazing that the series ended up with such a good finish; are there any books that would instead have been an awful end to the series?

Thanks Laura :smile:  Oh there were several that ended on cliffhangers - that would have been a nightmare.  Fortunately not so with this one.  In a lot of ways it was like the ending of the film, a hint of sailing on to further adventures, but that particular one was done and dusted :smile:

And are there any other series' similar to O'Brian that you're going to try?

Well I'll definitely give Hornblower a try at some point, and there are a couple of others that are interesting me, but the next one has to be Cornwell's Sharpe books, seeing as I have them all on Kindle :D

The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi

post-6588-0-01091700-1442777743_thumb.jpg

2010 - Tor paperback - 367 pages

Jean le Flambeur gets up in the morning and has to kill himself before his other self can kill him first. Just another day in the Dilemma Prison. Rescued by the mysterious Mieli and her flirtatious spacecraft, Jean is taken to the Oubliette, the Moving City of Mars, where time is a currency, memories are treasures, and a moon-turned-singularity lights the night. Meanwhile, investigator Isidore Beautrelet, called in to investigate the murder of a chocolatier, finds himself on the trail of an arch-criminal, a man named le Flambeur...

Indeed, in his many lives, the entity called Jean le Flambeur has been a thief, a confidence artist, a posthuman mind-burgler, and more. His origins are shrouded in mystery, but his deeds are known throughout the Heterarchy, from breaking into the vast Zeusbrains of the Inner System to stealing rare Earth antiques from the aristocrats of Mars. In his last exploit, he managed the supreme feat of hiding the truth about himself from the one person in the solar system hardest to hide from: himself. Now he has the chance to regain himself in all his power—in exchange for finishing the one heist he never quite managed.

The Quantum Thief is a breathtaking joyride through the solar system several centuries hence, a world of marching cities, ubiquitous public-key encryption, people who communicate via shared memory, and a race of hyper-advanced humans who originated as an MMORPG guild. But for all its wonders, The Quantum Thief is also a story powered by very human motives of betrayal, jealousy, and revenge.

Bonkers, that's what this book is, a gift from Sari a while back.  Thanks heavens for that blurb, cos I don't think there was any way in hell I was going to be able to describe what the book's about :lol:  I'm used to books with made-up names for imaginary technology, very used to it, but this one takes it to a different level.  Quptlink, exomemory, spimescape, phoboi, Sobornist, Tzaddikim, gevulot, gogol - the list goes on and, when Rajaniemi bombards you with all of these - often all in the same paragraph and with little or no explanation - well, it's all a bit . . . bonkers :lol:

But I'm getting ahead of myself.  The Quantum Thief gets off to an intriguing and exciting start.  Jean le Flambeur is a thief and is locked in a Dilemma prison, forced time and again to choose between shooting himself or not.  Either way, come the next morning he'll be faced with the same decision once again.  Then Mieli and her spaceship, Perhonen, turn up and rescue him.  She's on a mission from a god, and they need a thief to steal something. 

Meanwhile, in Oubliette, a moving city on Mars, detective Isidore Beautrelet has an ambition to become a Tzaddikim (don't ask), but he's failing, when he's asked to investigate a theft that hasn't even happened yet.

I would say more, but I'm not entirely sure I understood most of what followed.  There were chunks of the book where only one word in ten made sense to me.  My trusty placeholder system was largely irrelevant because the wonderfully tortuous prose seemed to keep doubling back on itself, reconnecting and forging off at a tangent, so every time I felt I had some particular idea figured out I'd suddenly get sidetracked and completely forget what I'd just got clear in my head, and end up completely off-kilter again. 

I'm convinced it's a clever story, but I'm also convinced it's not quite as clever as it thinks it is.  I think the dressing up in all those made-up words was just a smokescreen to cover a somewhat thin story.  I did have to laugh when, every once in a while, the action would grind to a halt whilst one of the characters explained exactly what was going on.  Rajaniemi was obviously aware that he was the only one that knew! :lol:

I, for one, had no idea but - strangely - I almost loved it.  There's such a flow to the writing and a pleasing wittiness to the dialogue and characters that, in the end, I sat back and went along for the ride.  The key, I found, was to let it wash over me, let his incredibly visual writing style paint its weird pictures on my mind's eye and just . . . let it happen.

Naturally, this is the first book in a trilogy.  It ends on an interlude which ends in a cliffhanger.  I had a vague idea what was going on, just a vague one, and I'm kind of curious about what's going to happen next.  Just don't ask me if I'm going to read the sequel, The Fractal Prince.  I have no idea.

Bonkers.  Absolutely bonkers.  Thanks, Sari :D

ETA: Oh, and I love the Tor cover, as shown above.  It's got a Final Fantasy vibe about it.  Probably no coincidence, cos I usually have no idea what's going on in those games, either :giggle2:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

What a great review of The Quantum Thief :lol: When you were describing how there were all these new and different words, I thought, well you are a pro at this, what with your placeholder system... :D But seemed there was a bit too much of it, perhaps. I was rather scared of reading all the way through the review... But thank goodness you liked it all the same :blush::giggle2: Phew!! 

Also, 'mieli' is 'mind' in Finnish. Does knowing that make more sense? :shrug: And 'perhonen' is 'butterfly' :)

Edit: I'm sort of proud of Rajaniemi, for having been able to boggle your mind, even though you have read a lot of science fiction :giggle: 

Edited by frankie

Also, 'mieli' is 'mind' in Finnish. Does knowing that make more sense? :shrug: And 'perhonen' is 'butterfly' :)

It certainly makes sense in regards to Perhonen, cos she's shaped like a butterfly and has lots of them flying around inside :lol:  Mieli, I'm not so sure - although it could be something that's revealed in the other books :shrug:

Edit: I'm sort of proud of Rajaniemi, for having been able to boggle your mind, even though you have read a lot of science fiction :giggle:

I thought you might be :lol:  I generally like books that don't rely on info dumps and let me figure things out for myself (see Erikson, Watts, Bakker, even O'Brian to a degree) but this one jumped over that line with both feet and didn't look back  :lol:

I was just considering buying the next Rajaniemi book on Kindle so I went on Amazon.  They have The Causal Angel listed as Book #2.  I was just about to click on 'buy' when I thought 'That's weird, I could've sworn  that The Fractal Prince was next'.  Sure enough, it seems Amazon have numbered the Kindle editions incorrectly  :doh:

It certainly makes sense in regards to Perhonen, cos she's shaped like a butterfly and has lots of them flying around inside :lol:  Mieli, I'm not so sure - although it could be something that's revealed in the other books :shrug:

Yeah, after I'd written the post I realized that the butterfly would make sense as it's flying around and stuff :) Okay, there are other uses of the word 'mieli', too, but I thought I'd start with the most obvious one. In Finnish, when we say something doesn't make any 'sense', we use the word 'mieli'. And 'mieli-' can also translate to 'favorite' when you're asking what is one's favorite book. Does that help or make sense...? 

I thought you might be :lol:  I generally like books that don't rely on info dumps and let me figure things out for myself (see Erikson, Watts, Bakker, even O'Brian to a degree) but this one jumped over that line with both feet and didn't look back  :lol:

Hurrah :lol: Very proud, me! :D Very happy that you liked the novel :smile2: 

I was just considering buying the next Rajaniemi book on Kindle so I went on Amazon.  They have The Causal Angel listed as Book #2.  I was just about to click on 'buy' when I thought 'That's weird, I could've sworn  that The Fractal Prince was next'.  Sure enough, it seems Amazon have numbered the Kindle editions incorrectly  :doh:

:rolleyes: Write them hate mail. (Or constructive criticism... whatever... :giggle:

Yeah, after I'd written the post I realized that the butterfly would make sense as it's flying around and stuff :) Okay, there are other uses of the word 'mieli', too, but I thought I'd start with the most obvious one. In Finnish, when we say something doesn't make any 'sense', we use the word 'mieli'. And 'mieli-' can also translate to 'favorite' when you're asking what is one's favorite book. Does that help or make sense...?

Only in as much as not a lot in the book made any sense :lol:

:rolleyes: Write them hate mail. (Or constructive criticism... whatever... :giggle:)

Maybe they thought it was so confusing that nobody would notice  :giggle2:   I love the way one of the reviewers says 'I would suggest that this second book should not be started without reading the 1st' obviously not realising they'd read the third book second  :giggle2:

Only in as much as not a lot in the book made any sense :lol:

:lol: And that's your favorite kind!

Maybe they thought it was so confusing that nobody would notice  :giggle2:   I love the way one of the reviewers says 'I would suggest that this second book should not be started without reading the 1st' [/size]obviously not realising they'd read the third book second  :giggle2:

:lol: Now that would be something!

King of Ithaca (Adventures of Odysseus Book 1) by Glyn Iliffe

post-6588-0-12703800-1443094118_thumb.jpg

2008 - Pan ebook - 382 pages

Greece is a country in turmoil, divided by feuding kingdoms desiring wealth, power and revenge. When Eperitus, a young exiled soldier, comes to the aid of a group of warriors in battle, little does he know that it will be the start of an incredible adventure. For he is about to join the charismatic Odysseus, Prince of Ithaca, on a vital quest to save his homeland.

I've been meaning to read this book for a few years, looked at the paperback in Waterstone's a few times - when there used to be a branch just down the road from the office - but it was a bit knackered and I wanted one that was in good condition, so I ended up not buying it.  In the meantime there seemed to be question marks over whether the series was going to continue after book four, for various reasons.  Last week, after a conversation about fiction based on The Iliad over on SFF Chronicles where I asked if anyone else had read it - and nobody had - I looked up Glyn Iliffe again and saw, on his FB page that a fifth book is nearing completion, which surprised and excited me, so I finally decided to take the plunge.

King of Ithaca is the first in a series called 'The Adventures of Odysseus', and you can tell that Iliffe is settling in for the long haul.  I'm pretty certain that, by the fourth book, Odysseus will not even have started his long journey home after the siege of Troy.  I've no idea how many books Iliffe is aiming for but it could be of Cornwell/O'Brian proportions . . .

This is effectively 'Odysseus: the Early Years'.  Here he is a prince and his father, Laertes, is under threat from rebellion.  Laertes is reluctant to hand power to his as yet unproven son, fearful that the islanders will not follow his boy and that the rebellion may succeed as a result.  Meanwhile, in Sparta, Agamemnon is trying to persuade King Tyndareus to bring the many Greek nations together, finally, by proposing a war against Troy.  Agamemnon suggests that Tyndareus should offer the hand of his stepdaughter, Helen, in marriage to the one of them who can prove his worth, thereby giving him an excuse to summon all the leaders under one roof as suitors.  When the invitation reaches Ithaca it is agreed that Odysseus will go to Sparta.  Nobody believes he will win Helen's hand, but he may be able to gain allies to help against the uprising against his father.  Along the way, Iliffe begins to set-up many of the threads that will fuel later events, including a prophecy, a certain bow, and someone called Penelope.

'Find a daughter of Lacedaemon and she will keep the thieves from your house.  As father of your people you will count the harvests on your fingers.  But if you seek Priam's city, the wide waters will swallow you.  For the time it takes a baby to become a man, you will know no home.  Then, when friends and fortune have departed from you, you will rise again from the dead.'

The story is told, mainly, from the point of view of Eperitus but occasionally also from that of other characters, including Odysseus.  Iliffe's style has a Gemmell/Iggulden flavour to it, though not yet on the level of either of those authors.  Being his first novel, I thought the writing was functional for the most part, but effective.  The story is told with a good sense of pace and I never found it boring.  The characters could perhaps be better - they are a little flat and, as I always feel, an injection of humour between them would help immeasurably.  The easiest comparison here is to David Gemmell's Troy trilogy, where his version of Odysseus leaps off the page in a brilliant, thrilling and charming way.  Here Odysseus, whilst likeable, brave and noble, didn't really come alive in the same way Gemmell achieved.  This is something I hope Iliffe has developed in the subsequent books.  Unlike Gemmell, however, Iliffe chooses to keep the involvement of the gods and mythical creatures.  This gives the story the feel of Jason and the Argonauts at times, I thought, and I really liked this aspect of it.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  It's an easy read, a good old-fashioned adventure story as the series title implies, and - if approached as such - fulfills its goals with ease.  A little work on the characters, coupled with the crunching action scenes, and this series could be a winner.

Nice review of King of Ithaca. :) I'm tempted to add it to my wishlist, since I love Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans. Although . . . have you seen the film Troy? Odysseus is played by Sean Bean. I'd be picturing all the Greeks as speaking with Yorkshire accents. :giggle2:

Rush is a 'specialised subject' on the version of Mastermind that is on BBC2 right now!  Sadly you're not online so I can't PM you!

Edit:  It's not you, is it?  :o

:lol:  No, it wasn't me - not unless I've put on weight, grown a beard, and walk around looking vague constipated all the time  :giggle2:   Anyway, he was far too young for a Rush fan - he should be middle-aged and losing his hair, unless the beard was compensating for an unseen bald spot :lol:  

The questions were so easy!  Even I could've won that one :giggle2:

Nice review of King of Ithaca. :) I'm tempted to add it to my wishlist, since I love Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans. Although . . . have you seen the film Troy? Odysseus is played by Sean Bean. I'd be picturing all the Greeks as speaking with Yorkshire accents. :giggle2:

Yeah, I've seen Troy.  I quite like it :giggle2:  If you want to read a novel about the Trojan War, though, don't start with King of Ithaca - go for Gemmell's Troy trilogy, starting with Lord of the Silver Bow - it's bloody marvellous  :D

The questions were so easy!  Even I could've won that one :giggle2:

I got full marks when someone chose Harry Potter a few weeks ago. :yes::D

Yeah, I've seen Troy.  I quite like it :giggle2:  If you want to read a novel about the Trojan War, though, don't start with King of Ithaca - go for Gemmell's Troy trilogy, starting with Lord of the Silver Bow - it's bloody marvellous  :D

Maybe I will . . . add it to the ever-growing list of Gemmell books I own yet still haven't read. :giggle2: