Michelle's Reading - 2015

Michelle

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm also slowly moving all the records from LibraryThing to Goodreads.

Good luck! I do have a LibraryThing account too, but I stopped keeping it updated some years ago and just used GoodReads. I hope it isn't too difficult to transfer the records.

25 books by the end of April - I'm happy with that!  :readingtwo:

I'm now hitting a YA phase - I have the list of authors going to YALC (Young Adult Literature Convention) in July, so I have new books to get read, so I can take them with me for signing. (Which also means buying some new ones.. shhhh!)

Hehehe. I think my plan for YALC (whether I manage to swing it this year, or have to wait til next), is going to be to buy a little notebook and have all the authors sign the pages of it. (My excuse being I can't very well carry a ton of books back and forth between Ireland and England!) Then, as I acquire the relevant books, I may tear out the notepages and put them into their books.

25 books is great going, specially considering your mojo hasn't been the kindest this year. I'm looking forward to reading about your YA discoveries over the next couple of months :D

Thanks - Noll, I have considered getting book plates or something, but there's just something special about a directly signed book. But of course, lugging a pile of books on the train is easier than lugging them from Ireland! 

I've already found a pretty good read - Sleepless by Lou Morgan. It actually managed to make me feel a bit scared last night!

Hmmm book plates is something that hadn't occurred to me... I might design my own YALC ones and use those maybe! Speaking of directly signed books, there was a load of Sally Green's Half Wild sitting about signed in Waterstones last week. Isn't often I see signed books in my local Waterstones!

I saw you mention Sleepless on Twitter - it is actually a full horror story? The synopsis initially makes it sound a bit drama-y.

25 books by the end of April - I'm happy with that!  :readingtwo:

I'm now hitting a YA phase - I have the list of authors going to YALC (Young Adult Literature Convention) in July, so I have new books to get read, so I can take them with me for signing. (Which also means buying some new ones.. shhhh!)

Good plan! I might not be able to get ebooks signed, but they're a lot easier to sneak in the house :giggle2:

I saw you mention Sleepless on Twitter - it is actually a full horror story? The synopsis initially makes it sound a bit drama-y.

Erm.. I'm about half way now, and it is a little more drama-y, but until that point there were some tense, creepy moments, which actually scared me a little just before bed. It could go in a few different directions from here, I'll let you know. 

It's part of this interesting range.. http://www.littletiger.co.uk/red-eye- Frozen Charlotte looks very good, and is high on my wish list!

• 3 weeks later...

The Glass Demon by Helen Grant:

The first death

Seventeen-year-old Lin Fox finds a body in an orchard. As she backs away in horror, she steps on broken glass.

The second death

Then blood appears on her doorstep – blood, and broken glass.

The third death

Something terrible is found in the cemetery. Shards of broken glass lie by a grave.

Who will be next?

As the attacks become more sinister, Lin doesn’t know who to trust. She’s getting closer to the truth behind these chilling discoveries, but with each move the danger deepens.

Because someone wants Lin gone – and won’t give up until he’s got rid of her and her family. Forever.

After a discussion about YA thrillers and horror, Helen kindly arranged for her publisher to send me out a copy of The Glass Demon to try. Helen seems to be classed as a YA writer, but this particular book would definitely appeal to all age groups (as do many YA books, of course).

It’s actually a difficult book to classify, as it’s unclear for most of the story whether this is a straightforward thriller, or if there’s a supernatural element. I felt this added just the right level of uneasiness, and I won’t spoil the story for anyone by revealing which it is.

The story revolves around a mysterious set of stained glass windows – most people deem them to no longer exist, and yet there are some who believe they are hidden away. Lin’s father is a historian, and the Allerheiligen Glass is his latest obsession. The Glass is also meant to be haunted by a demon, who can kill anyone who looks at him.

As people start to die around Lin, and strange things occur, she realises that her and her family are in danger, but she doesn’t know who from.

Add to this that she’s been taken by her father to Germany, and she’s trying to fit into a new school, and cope with the attention of their nearest neighbour, Michael!

As I said, there’s a really good level of threat and unease about this book – there’s lots of tension, which keeps you reading, there is danger, and yet it’s not too disturbing. I think this is the key to the wide range of audience.. I would recommend this to both teen readers, and older (like myself!). Oh, and I’ve added all of Helen’s books to my wishlist! :)

Recommended!

The Territory by Sarah Govett

At this time of the year, there are many young people revising for, and taking exams, and we all know there’s a lot of pressure on them. However, imagine if a failure could mean being sent to your death…

Noa lives in a near-future where climate change and flooding have drastically reduced the amount of liveable land, now known as The Territory. To be allowed to stay, children at 15 must achieve a high pass on their exams. The rest are sent to the Wetlands, where conditions mean a life of misery, and often death.

If that isn’t difficult enough, the richest children have been equipped with a ‘node’, which allows them to download the information needed for their exams – exams which are based more on fact recall than application…

Sarah has managed to achieve a lot with this book. On one level it’s a compelling dystopian story, and her world building is so well done that this future world feels very real, and scarily close! The flooding which led to the Territory formation is explained, as is the technology available for the rich.

Running through the story however, are also thought-provoking issues, which will make you think a little more about our education system, rich and poor, politics, the climate etc.

Then added to this, is a very real day to day story of a teenager, as she deals with issues of friendship and relationships, school and study.

Despite all this going on, it’s a fast paced story, which kept me turning those pages to find out what would happen next. It has a satisfying conclusion, but is all set up for the rest of the trilogy, which I’m waiting impatiently for.

The book sounds interesting!

I'm intrigued at the mention of this Allerheiligen Glass, as 'Allerheiligen' is a Dutch word for a certain Catholic day. The two might not be related, though. It means something along the lines of 'all those that are holy'.

EDIT: Ah just to clarify, I was responding to The Glass Demon. Two great reviews :)!

Edited by Athena

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to pull together my TBR books, to see what I have - the pile on the left are the priority ones, the ones on the right come next. Of course, after doing the photo, and putting them back in various places, I found two more!

Now all I need to do is not buy any more!  :giggle:

Added: Not sure why's it's sideways!

books.JPG

I love this photo :D.

I've rotated it for you, hope you don't mind :blush2:. It depends how the photo was taken, generally Windows or your phone turn it in the 'right' direction automatically for viewing, but the actual picture then isn't saved as rotated (so if you were to open it with an application that doesn't rotate it automatically, it would be sideways). I've had it happen on occasion with some of my photos.

post-3537-0-63716600-1433446178_r.jpg

The Glass Demon sounds terrifying, Michelle! :hide: We must get sent quite a lot of the same books as each other - I was also sent The Three, Smiler's Fair, Red Moon and a couple of others. Highly recommend Half a King. :)

I've rotated it for you, hope you don't mind :blush2:. It depends how the photo was taken, generally Windows or your phone turn it in the 'right' direction automatically for viewing, but the actual picture then isn't saved as rotated (so if you were to open it with an application that doesn't rotate it automatically, it would be sideways). I've had it happen on occasion with some of my photos.

attachicon.gifpost-3537-0-63716600-1433446178_r.jpg

Wish I'd seen this before I cricked my neck admiring all the books in Michelle's photo. :D

• 1 month later...

I have been struggling recently - I think I just have too many I want to read (review books, plus YALC books) and I've found it hard to settle. I did manage to read Deep Water by Lu Hersey and Darkmere by Helen Maslin - reviews will be written soon, but both were really good... Deep Water is for younger teens up, and Darkmere probably for older teens.

I have been struggling recently - I think I just have too many I want to read (review books, plus YALC books) and I've found it hard to settle.

Oh dear. :( I know what you mean though. Being spoiled with a great TBR is like signing up for Netflix - so much to watch, but too much to choose from! Have you considered doing a Book Jar like some of the other guys on here? :)

Will you get through more books over the six week holidays, or less?

I don't think a book jar would suit me, I do best when I just get on and read what I want to read, without the pressure of thinking I have to read it - either because it's for review, or I want to read it in time for YALC.

The summer won't make much difference to me either way, as I'm working for most of it, and we don't have a planned holiday. I have a lot of stress at work, and a lot going on elsewhere.. time to sit and read is sadly lacking. :(

Oh dear, I do sound woeful! ;)