• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reasons To Stay Alive by Matt Haig

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO FEEL TRULY ALIVE?

Aged 24, Matt Haig's world caved in. He could see no way to go on living. This is the true story of how he came through crisis, triumphed over an illness that almost destroyed him and learned to live again.

A moving, funny and joyous exploration of how to live better, love better and feel more alive, Reasons to Stay Alive is more than a memoir. It is a book about making the most of your time on earth.

'I wrote this book because the oldest clichés remain the truest. Time heals. The bottom of the valley never provides the clearest view. The tunnel does have light at the end of it, even if we haven't been able to see it . . . Words, just sometimes, really can set you free.'

This is a difficult book to capture, and to review. The first time I picked it up, I only intended to read a few pages, but I found it almost impossible to stop reading. Then after just one section, I had to tweet to Matt Haig, to thank him for writing it!

The book doesn't fit into any genre, rather like us as human beings - it's partly a memoir, where Matt talks about his own personal experience; and it's partly some information and thoughts about depression and anxiety. It's set in out in small chapters, which makes it easier to take in the things which are being said, and the overall feel is of a conversation - it's like sitting in a cosy pub, listening to a best friend tell you how he feels (I hope that makes sense?)

This isn't a book with definite answers - it's not supposed to be a text book, and it's not a classic self-help book. There is no definitive answer from Matt about how to overcome depression and/or anxiety, and in fact he points out that everyone is different, with their experiences, and reactions.

I think this will be a very personal book for most people, and everyone will take something different from it - personally for me, it was the feeling of not being alone, and the need that we should all be talking more about these issues.

Audio-wise, I've just finished Garden of Rama, and last night moved on to Rama Revealed. It's been interesting re-reading those, now realising that Gentry Lee is the main writer of the sequels. There is definitely a difference, but they are still highly enjoyable. 

Book-wise, I've finally started The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson - it's due to be published in paperback, and so the publishers offered me a copy to review. He's switched very well to a more YA style, and I'm glad I've got a proper book (I kept considering it as an audio listen) because there are some diagrams and drawings which are a nice addition.

I also bought The Bees by Laline Paull, which was an impulse buy in Waterstones, along with An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth by Chris Hadfield. It's off to a good start, and I'm not really sure how it's going to play out. 

I finished The Rithmatist last night - it's definitely written with younger readers in mind, which is not a bad thing. I've only read the Mistborn series, and although I loved the ideas, I gave up in the middle of the 3rd book because it was dragging. The Rithmatist is far more plot driven and fast paced, which I liked. I need to write a fuller review soon, but I'm glad I finally got to it.

That's nice to hear :). I don't mind that it's written for younger readers, as long as it's still enjoyable. I haven't yet read the Mistborn books though I plan to do so hopefully maybe later this year. I look forward to read your full review once you've written it.

I really must get around to reading Chris Hadfield's book. He was in Dublin last year doing a signing, and I only found out the night before and didn't go - was very annoyed with myself, given how rare it is anyone I'm interested in promotes their books here :roll: Hope you enjoy it!

He was in Dublin last year doing a signing, and I only found out the night before and didn't go - was very annoyed with myself, given how rare it is anyone I'm interested in promotes their books here

I didn't know that and I find it very strange. One would think Dublin to be one of the world's favourite cities for writers. I was never there myself, but at least James Joyce wrote a lot about it. It would also be a good strategic point to promote something, if said author were from the US (irish immigrants or descendants) or the UK (the confusion surrounding Ireland's independence). Do you think there's some financial or bureaucratic aspect making it difficult for an author to promote his book there or is it less appealing than I think it to be? I like Chris Hadfield's videos on youtube, but I didn't know he wrote a book; it has an interesting title as well.

No, I really think it's just that we're a small country and a small potential market. Many international acts of all kinds, music, writing, whatever, skip over us.

Not entirely sure how you're grounding your other two arguments. We don't care if an American is descended from us, there are so many of them. It certainly won't be a selling point, and them coming to Ireland is not gonna sell anything to Americans either. As for the UK... I can't imagine what on earth the entirely not-confusing history of the Republic's independence has to do with modern authors, unless they're writing about British/Irish history.

Edited by Nollaig

No, I really think it's just that we're a small country and a small potential market. Many international acts of all kinds, music, writing, whatever, skip over us.

Not entirely sure how you're grounding your other two arguments. We don't care if an American is descended from us, there are so many of them. It certainly won't be a selling point, and them coming to Ireland is not gonna sell anything to Americans either. As for the UK... I can't imagine what on earth the entirely not-confusing history of the Republic's independence has to do with modern authors, unless they're writing about British/Irish history.

The first argument is not so much a selling point to the irish in Ireland, but to irish descendants in the US. The second argument was a bit lost in translation, because in portuguese "confusion" is used as an euphemism to brutal or damaging events (e.g. the confusing Normandy landing); I'm not a local from the UK, but I assumed there's still some bad blood between more extremist parties and a mere visit from a british author would be enough to sell more books. I interpret from what you said that Ireland is less appealing for promotion that I think it would be.

Yeah but coming to Ireland isn't going to help US authors sell books in the US. You go to places to promote yourself in those places. And British people come here all the time, nobody is going to get ratty over a British author, musician, or even politician coming here. Sure the British Queen came here a few years back and she addressed our President in the Irish language. Can't ask for more than that, I myself have immense respect for the Queen, even if I don't like the monarchy as an institution. Some people will grumble but nobody in their right mind here has a problem with the British outside of football. Many of us love the Brits, without them we wouldn't be able to enjoy Ed Sheeran or J.K Rowling or Stephen Fry, and our own exports like Graham Norton and Dara O'Briain wouldn't be so successful. Honestly, nationality is irrelevant these days in terms of people coming to Ireland. Big names have little to gain from an additional plane trip to Ireland when they're on a UK tour. That's basically what it comes down to :)

Sorry for hijacking your thread Michelle!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm struggling at the moment, nothing is holding my attention, and I can't focus on the reviews I need to write!  :wacko:  I've just bought Migraine by Oliver Sacks, and I might go back to my Walking Dead comics.

Sorry to hear that, Michelle.  I'm thoroughly enjoying my children's and YA stint at the moment, hope you find your mojo soon.  :empathy:

I've just written this blog post, about being nominated for 2 awards :)

https://mjmoore.wordpress.com/2015/02/02/ive-been-nominated-and-shortlisted/

There was a lovely article in the Guardian this week from Andy Robb about YA book bloggers and why he set up the awards: http://www.theguardian.com/childrens-books-site/2015/mar/06/uk-ya-book-blogger-awards-andy-robb:)

I've had the pleasure of meeting Andy, and he is lovely - and it's also lovely to see how the publishing industry has gotten involved. It's a shame though that it's just YA, because there are lots of general book bloggers out there, also doing a great job. I hope it leads to more. :)

I've been shortlisted, but there's no way I'd beat the others. :)

I finished The Rithmatist last night - it's definitely written with younger readers in mind, which is not a bad thing. I've only read the Mistborn series, and although I loved the ideas, I gave up in the middle of the 3rd book because it was dragging. The Rithmatist is far more plot driven and fast paced, which I liked. I need to write a fuller review soon, but I'm glad I finally got to it.

Ooh, I've had The Rithmatist on my TBR for a couple of years now but never quite got around to it. The first Mistborn is also on my TBR - I'm hoping to read it this year. :)

I'm struggling at the moment, nothing is holding my attention, and I can't focus on the reviews I need to write!  :wacko:  I've just bought Migraine by Oliver Sacks, and I might go back to my Walking Dead comics.

Have you tried Joe Abercrombie's YA series, Shattered Sea? The second book in the series has just come out, and they're selling the first book, Half a King, in Asda for £4. :)

I have to be in the right frame of mind for any sort of fantasy, although that is one I may pick up one day. :) I could do with a good audio SF though, having finished the Rama series. 

I've just read The Death House by Sarah Pinborough, and I was both disappointed and hooked. With it's title, and knowing Sarah writes horror, I expected something chilling or creepy, and it's not really that. It has a YA feel, and is fairly slow, so I found myself rushing through it. I wanted to know more about the issues she was vague about, but it was also quite interesting to leave it to my imagination. However, it did keep me reading when nothing else could!

I've just had a look at the link on Amazon, and saw someone say it was bleak, so if you want to try something else bleak, try Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill.  Not perfect, but it was certainly compelling and I found it difficult to put down, and the heroine is still in my mind a good few days later.

Claire, I have that on on my wishlist, because @chapter5 were discussing it - and I've been reading about it on your thread too. :)

A review copy of Uprooted by Naomi Novik popped through my door today, and although it's not something I'd usually look at, it immediately grabbed my attention. The first few chapters were pretty good. :)