Your Book Activity - January 2015

Kylie

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After taking a day of a break, I launched back into Harry and the Dumbledore Army and I'm now two thirds of the way through this, the the longest book in the series.

I have mixed opinions.

Do you mean book 5, The Order of the Phoenix?

I finished reading Paul Magrs - Exchange this morning and I ISBN scanned some more books. I might start another book later today, I'm working on my library loans.

Yes, I deliberately give them silly names because I get bored writing out the same long-winded names over and over again. :P

That makes sense :P!

My next read will most likely be Brandon Sanderson - Alcatraz 1: Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians (library loan).

That makes sense :P!

My next read will most likely be Brandon Sanderson - Alcatraz 1: Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians (library loan).

Hm... maybe I should read Firefight and we can have a Sanderson fest :giggle2:

I am almost finished 'Stone Mattress: Nine Tales' by Margaret Atwood :)

I heartily congratulate you!!  :P  After my MaddAddam experience (you weren't on for that!) I don't know how much more Atwood I can have in my life :D

I started The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden (Jonas Jonasson) last night and it's good so far.  Although, my motivation is still suffering so I don't know how much I can read and at what rate.  :(  I couldn't even make it through Hugh Howey's Sand installment, Part 2 :(

Edited by Anna Begins

This made me laugh  :giggle2:   So glad I'm not alone with these opinions! 

It’s good to hear that other people find Coelho’s writing is ….well, pretty much rubbish. I thought it was just me  :giggle2:

Stayed up late last night finishing Mystery in White by J. Jefferson Farjeon. Loved it .. a murder mystery that all takes place one snowy Christmas Eve .. perfect reading for a freezing cold winter's night :cold: Can see I'll be tempted by those other British Library Crime Classics  :blush2: Started A Man at the Helm by Nina Stibbe .. I thought it was a continuation of her memoirs (Love Nina) but it turns out to be a novel .. good so far :)

I also have The Miniaturist to read ... wish I had waited for the paperback edition though. It's out now and they've kept the same cover (or similar) and as I haven't read it yet anyway I could kick myself for succumbing to the hardback. Oh well, that'll learn me :D

I also have The Miniaturist to read ... wish I had waited for the paperback edition though. It's out now and they've kept the same cover (or similar) and as I haven't read it yet anyway I could kick myself for succumbing to the hardback. Oh well, that'll learn me :D

Bought The Miniaturist e-book today too! Hope you enjoy that one poppyshake  :smile:

I started The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden (Jonas Jonasson) last night and it's good so far.  Although, my motivation is still suffering so I don't know how much I can read and at what rate.  :(  I couldn't even make it through Hugh Howey's Sand installment, Part 2 :(

Hope that book is good, another one on my TBR list. Your reading mojo must be poorly at the mo :empathy: . Not even H.H. to get your motivation going  :o !

Last night I got the Kindle app for my tablet, knocking my poor Kobo e-reader out of the water, as I can now easily purchase Kindle books and read them on my superior tablet screen. Sorry, Kobo :(

I did so to purchase The Misremembered Man by Christina McKenna. So far, over a third through, I'm quite enjoying it. It's an odd book, written with a touch of the 'convenient coincidences' of chick lit stories but actually beautifully written and I can honestly say very authentically Irish (for the 70s, anyway). Quite enjoying it, looking forward to seeing how it ends.

I'll try and read The Miniaturist soon, I need to read a good book next as I finished my first book of the year last night, Cruel Summer by James Dawson and it was very disappointing.

That's a shame, I rather enjoyed it. 

I have The Miniaturist on my shelf, but I think I need to be in the right mood for it.

Offspring recently bought The Miniaturist (his first paper book for a while, but he had a book token, and decided that the quality of the cover/binding made it worthwhile in preference to a Kindle version), whilst I bought The Humans (Kindle version), based on all the positive comments in the BCF Books of the Year listings, having never heard of book or author before!

Bought The Miniaturist e-book today too! Hope you enjoy that one poppyshake :smile:

Thanks Marie .. you too. I think a lot of us will be reading it this year :)

I'll try and read The Miniaturist soon, I need to read a good book next as I finished my first book of the year last night, Cruel Summer by James Dawson and it was very disappointing.

I'm also on the apparently quite long list of people who have The Miniaturist on the list. First one to finish wins. ;)

On a different note, Willoyd, I hope you love The Humans. I found it to be so clever!

I started The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden (Jonas Jonasson) last night and it's good so far. Although, my motivation is still suffering so I don't know how much I can read and at what rate. :( I couldn't even make it through Hugh Howey's Sand installment, Part 2 :(

Isn't Jonas Jonasson the one who wrote The 100 Year-old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared? I liked that one well enough. How do you like this one?

Edited by dtrpath27

Everyone wants to read The Miniaturist! I looked it up on Goodreads yesterday and couldn't see what the hype is about, it's swimming in lukewarm reviews. Somebody read it and tell me if it's good!!

Edited by Nollaig

whilst I bought The Humans (Kindle version), based on all the positive comments in the BCF Books of the Year listings, having never heard of book or author before!

Excellent choice  :smile:. The Humans is a really great one. Very witty, and with so many pithy comments on human foibles. I've started The Rosie Project now, and the two books are similar, with the narrator's frames of mind. Happy reading with The Humans!

I read about 50 pages of Ripley Under Ground. Ripley is such a naughty boy. :o

Which book is this in the series? Would you recommend the sequels to the first novel? I'm somewhat interested. Would need a re-read, though, of the first book. 

No reading done yesterday. :( Oh wait, I did read a few pages of Weird Things Customers Say in Bookstores, at a party last night, when I was a bit bored :blush::giggle2: I should always keep that book with me! 

Just finished The Misremembered Man by Christina McKenna. Was unsure about it for quite some time, but ultimately laughed, cried, and found it a thoroughly satisfying read. My review of it is here :)

Edited by Nollaig

Which book is this in the series? Would you recommend the sequels to the first novel? I'm somewhat interested. Would need a re-read, though, of the first book. 

Ripley Under Ground is the second book. I would definitely recommend it if you liked The Talented Mr Ripley. It has only referred back to the first book a couple of times, when a relative of Dickie Greenleaf appears, so as long as you remember the character of Tom Ripley well enough, you probably don't have to re-read the first book (but why wouldn't one want to take any opportunity to re-read such a brilliant book? :D)

But she cussed and called people names and did some nasty things. Nothing really, really bad, but I did think a few times that she's nasty. Or then I've forgotten what it was like to be a kid myself :D But like I said, her family wasn't very nurturing so it shouldn't be all that surprising that she acted out even before the stuff that happened to her later on. 

I know the traumatic thing you're talking about, of course. But you didn't mention another one... And I wonder if you've forgotten about that! :o

Ok, I definitely need to read it soon because I don't remember

two traumatic things. I only remember one. :o

Once I finish my current read, I will get started on it. :boogie:

I read The Celestine Prophecy (and the books that followed) many years ago, when I was going through my 'new age' phase. I really liked it at the time, although I suspect my opinion would change somewhat if I ever re-read it. I'm much more cynical than I used to be!

The Celestine Prophecy was huge when I was a teenager, and I jumped on the 'new age' bandwagon very briefly. I think I wanted to like the book more than I actually did like it. I also think I would be quite harsh in my view of it, if I were to re-read it now, as I'm about as far from a new-age type person as you can get. :giggle:

I went into town with my son and we bought The Miniaturist and The Humans by Matt Haig for me and a Simpsons graphic novel and Tom Gates annual for him. :)

I hope you enjoy The Humans. :smile:

......whilst I bought The Humans (Kindle version), based on all the positive comments in the BCF Books of the Year listings, having never heard of book or author before!

Hopefully you will enjoy it. I know you've said before that you aren't all that keen on humorous books, but this one is quirky-funny and original. :smile:

I did so to purchase The Misremembered Man by Christina McKenna. So far, over a third through, I'm quite enjoying it. It's an odd book, written with a touch of the 'convenient coincidences' of chick lit stories but actually beautifully written and I can honestly say very authentically Irish (for the 70s, anyway). Quite enjoying it, looking forward to seeing how it ends.

It is an odd book, isn't it? It has a certain style to it..... not sure what it is. Maybe because it is set in the 1970's, and that really comes through in the characters.

Just finished The Misremembered Man by Christina McKenna. Was unsure about it for quite some time, but ultimately laughed, cried, and found it a thoroughly satisfying read. My review of it is here :)

Ooh, I shall be sure to read your review. :smile:

I'm about halfway through The Dinosaur Hunters. I'm reading it quite slowly, but I'm enjoying it so much that I don't want to rush it. I think I tend to rush through my non-fiction reads, so it's quite nice to take my time and actually get very familiar with all the big names of fossil collecting in the 1800s.