Noll's 2015 Book Blog

Nollaig

I'm indifferent to Dan Radcliffe coz I'm indifferent to Harry! For a title character, he's remarkably unfleshed out and dull, aside from losing his temper all the time. Ron and Hermione haven't much more to commend them. I think her secondary characters are nearly all far superior, always have.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the first Harry Potter movie, but didn't enjoy Daniel Radcliffe - sorry HP fans :blush:

I then went to read the first book but just couldn't get Daniels voice out of my head. Maybe I should try again now it's been awhile...

Daniel Radcliffe was dreadful in the first film ("I'm, a, a, wiz-ard?!") but by the end of the series I think he was one of the best of the junior actors (he's certainly far better than Rupert Grint and Emma Watson).

The last four films really are worth a watch (even if I did fall asleep watching The Order of the Phoenix last night!).

Noll, I'm surprised you haven't mentioned Luna yet; I think she's one of the best characters in the later books.

Thanks Janet! I cheated with book 1 - I finished it on New Year's Eve but decided to include it because otherwise it would be the only one missing :giggle:

I understand why you did this, and I totally approve. :D

The acting in the earlier movies is quite cringe-worthy, but they definitely improved in each movie!

Hm. Well, if she's a good character, that wasn't portrayed in the films. She was alright, but came across as being odd for the sake of it. That said, she showed more coherence in her first scene in the book when she defended her editor father, than she ever did in the films, so maybe. She'll never outdo the twins, Remus, Snape and Sirius for me though. I just love all those guys.

I, honestly, don't think J. K. Rowling is a very good writer. I think this is my problem with the HP books. By movie five, I was so absorbed in how dark the story was becoming, and how scary and sad different things were. On book 5, I'm finding 2 things:

1. It's exceptionally rare that I feel nervous or sad

(although the bit where they meet Neville with his parents, and Gilderoy Lockhart in St. Mungo's made me cry, because that was the first moment I really felt Rowling had hit the 'sh*t just got real' nail on the head).

Most of the time I wonder if Rowling has any concept of pacing.

2. I marvel at how this book can be so long with so little action by secondary characters. I don't think Remus and Sirius have had a proper chat once in all the time Harry has spent at Grimmauld Place. I also hate how

Sirius is just cooped up for the ENTIRE book, knowing that when he finally gets out at the end he's going to die.

All in all, I'm feeling the style of writing is the same as the early books, and this doesn't do justice at all to the story. So far, the books are definitely still only a supplement to my enjoyment of my beloved films.

Edited by Nollaig

Yeah, I'd gotten my hopes up with Book Four. I'm 150 pages from the end of Phoenix, and it's just so rambling.

There are some fantastic moments and insights, some absolutely hilarious acts by the twins, and some beautifully illustrated, if not written, scenes, like the St. Mungo's one I mentioned and also the passage where Harry realises his father was a bit of a tool.

But for the most part, it's just exceptionally wordy, full of Harry being an absolute moron (Oh jeez Harry, why might Occlumency be important? I dunno, maybe because of what you were told about the most dangerous wizard in existance breaking into your mind and learning everything you know? That? Maybe? A little bit? No? Okay then), and just... bad writing.

It probably wouldn't annoy me so much if this book wasn't so drawn out. And it's funny, because it's quite possibly my favourite film in the series.

Here it is, my first proper book review of 2015! (I'm not reviewing the Potter books per se, just throwing out opinions!)

The Misremembered Man

by Christina McKenna

13051316.jpg

Synopsis from Amazon: The Misremembered Man is a beautifully rendered portrait of life in rural Ireland which charms and delights with its authentic characters and gentle humor. This vivid portrayal of the universal search for love brings with it a darker tale, heartbreaking in its poignancy.

Review: In short, The Misremembered Man is a quirky combination of lightly humorous and rather depressing. That synopsis tells you next to nothing, so here you go: Jamie and Lydia are two lonely hearts whose only similarity is their search for 'something more' in the rural, isolated culture of 70s Ireland. In addition, a large part of the book is dedicated to illustrating the harsh living conditions of a young orphan boy.

The stark contrast between these narratives is somewhat off-putting for the first half or so of the book. I found the contrast in tone fumbled wildly with my emotions and thus alienated me somewhat from the novel as a whole. I didn't know what I was supposed to be feeling - one moment I was laughing at classic Father Ted style Irish humour and the next, I was reading about the horrific orphanage conditions which I know all too well to be a shamefully accurate depiction of Ireland's not-so-distant past.

That said, it is a beautifully written novel with some fabulous turns of phrase and hugely likeable characters. I also found I could very much relate to a lot of the states of mind explored in the story. More than that, though, it is worth persisting with, because all of the strands do come together in a satisfying and (for me) surprising, if incredibly unlikely, outcome.

I'm taking half a point off for the clash of tones which kept me on the fence for longer than I'd like, but giving it 4.5/5 for being an absolutely hilarious and ultimately heart-warming, though not necessarily happy, story. I don't think my heart has ever gone out to a book character so much as to James Kevin Barry Michael McCloone.

Definitely recommended.

Rating: 4.5/5

Edited by Nollaig

It probably wouldn't annoy me so much if this book wasn't so drawn out. And it's funny, because it's quite possibly my favourite film in the series.

The Order of the Phoenix is my favourite film and least favourite book as well, largely for the same reasons, although I did find the book an easier read the second time around when I knew what to expect. 

I wouldn't say Rowling is a bad writer, I just don't think she's that great (she certainly has her strengths and weaknesses).  The problem with this book, to my mind, is that an editor didn't appear to sit down with her and say, "Do we really need this bit?".  The book could easily loose 150 to 200 pages, still tell the same story and be all the tighter for it (doesn't it take nearly the first third of the book for them to get past the first week of term?).

If it helps, I think the last two books are better reads, mainly because they get to the point faster.

Nice review of The Misremembered Man. I completely agree with what you say, especially about the humorous aspect of the story. Some bits were very funny

like when Jamie and Lydia meet for the first time (well, the second time......the first time was when they walked past each other at the seaside resort), and he has all those problems with his toupee. :rolol:

, but many parts were painfully awkward and depressing. It's hard to read when people are so vulnerable and hopeful, and you just want things to work out for them, but you know that's not always the case. I thought Jamie's character was very well written, almost a bit too honest and raw with his feelings, so it was at times hard to read. What did you think of the ending?

Raven - It does help, that's good to know. I'm still absolutely loving a lot of the story (and I love the twins so much more than I did with just the films to go on - though I already loved them a lot!) it's just this book has been tough to get through. I'm looking forward to book seven, that will HAVE to be action packed, since they got a good 5 hours of film out of it.

Bobbly -

I was in hysterics by that point! Even the bit where he realised he had glued the instruction leaflet to his head, and when the toupee came off and the words 'bonding times may vary' were printed on his head! I completely lost it!

I thought the ending was very good.

I'm a dunce, so I totally did not see it coming, but I can actually see how it's far better than what you might think will happen. I also genuinely did not know if they would get to Jamie in time, because the author wasn't exactly fearless with giving him a hard time. But yeah, I think it was the best possible ending, and the last couple of sentences were just beautiful - "his precious, God-given, love-driven, Lily-rescued days." That's one of the most beautiful sentences I've read in a long time.

Edited by Nollaig

I only ever listen to the Harry Potter audiobooks read by Stephen Fry, rather than read the actual books now, but I probably listen to them all every couple of years.  I find them easier to listen to, as he's such a great narrator and brings everything to life (I still say he'd have been the best choice for Dumbledore in the films, just made up to look older), however, there is one chapter I always have to bypass, and that's the chapter in book five where ...

Hagrid recounts his story of finding the giants and bringing his half brother back.  Seriously, that could easily have been explained in a couple of paragraphs and the rest erased.  All the books from book four onwards need editing, in my opinion, at least. :D

I think by the time she hit book 4 the whole thing had just blown up internationally and her editors were like, "Yep, okay cool, whatever you're doing it's working, we'll leave you to it!" :P

I do wish Sirius wasn't so underused though. His entire story can be approximated as:

Get set up by Pettigrew, go to Azkaban. Break out to kill Pettigrew, let Pettigrew escape. Pettigrew revives Voldy; Sirius hides in a house, leaves house, dies.

How does Rowling talk so much and say so little? :roll:

I thought the ending was very good.

I'm a dunce, so I totally did not see it coming, but I can actually see how it's far better than what you might think will happen. I also genuinely did not know if they would get to Jamie in time, because the author wasn't exactly fearless with giving him a hard time. But yeah, I think it was the best possible ending, and the last couple of sentences were just beautiful - "his precious, God-given, love-driven, Lily-rescued days." That's one of the most beautiful sentences I've read in a long time.

That was definitely a nail-biting sequence at the end.

I had my suspicions about the ending about two-thirds through, because a hint was dropped about Lydia's parents not being her parents (can't remember what the hint was though :doh: ), and I did idly wonder if they were brother and sister. I still hope Jamie found his special-someone at some point in the future, and Lydia too.

That was definitely a nail-biting sequence at the end.

I had my suspicions about the ending about two-thirds through, because a hint was dropped about Lydia's parents not being her parents (can't remember what the hint was though :doh: ), and I did idly wonder if they were brother and sister. I still hope Jamie found his special-someone at some point in the future, and Lydia too.

I don't remember the hint either, I might have missed it XD

I think they were implying that

that nosy one down the post office might become Jamie's someone, and the doctor Lydeea's. :lol:

I only read the last two HP books. I'm a bit dubious about reading the others now as I love the films. I tried the first book years ago and couldn't get on with it. I agree her writing leaves a lot to be desired but I think her story-telling and imagination are great.

Happy reading in 2015 Noll :)

I only ever listen to the Harry Potter audiobooks read by Stephen Fry, rather than read the actual books now, but I probably listen to them all every couple of years.  I find them easier to listen to, as he's such a great narrator and brings everything to life (I still say he'd have been the best choice for Dumbledore in the films, just made up to look older), however, there is one chapter I always have to bypass, and that's the chapter in book five where ...

Hagrid recounts his story of finding the giants and bringing his half brother back.  Seriously, that could easily have been explained in a couple of paragraphs and the rest erased.  All the books from book four onwards need editing, in my opinion, at least. :D

Yes .. I thought the same Claire .. The Order of the Phoenix in particular dragged. I love Stephen's readings of the books .. seriously awesome, his voices are all spot on. Tis true he would have made a good Dumbledore (the shame of the films is that poor Richard died and we had to have two Dumbledores :( ) .. I always think Benjamin Whitrow would have too (Mr Bennet in P&P) .. he has lovely twinkly eyes and I think could be wizardish if the part required it. I love Michael Gambon usually but didn't think he was quite right for Dumbledore .. Richard was though .. very mysterious.

Happy Reading in 2015 Noll :)

Yes .. I thought the same Claire .. The Order of the Phoenix in particular dragged. I love Stephen's readings of the books .. seriously awesome, his voices are all spot on. Tis true he would have made a good Dumbledore (the shame of the films is that poor Richard died and we had to have two Dumbledores :( )

Happy Reading in 2015 Noll :)

Hmm I'm not really one for audiobooks, but I might check out one of the HP books read by him, just to hear these voices! And thanks :)

I only read the last two HP books. I'm a bit dubious about reading the others now as I love the films. I tried the first book years ago and couldn't get on with it. I agree her writing leaves a lot to be desired but I think her story-telling and imagination are great.

Happy reading in 2015 Noll :)

Yeah, I only resolved to get through them for the sake of adding to my knowledge of the finer details left out of the film, and they've served that purpose very well. Just 150 pages of Phoenix to go, and then I'm onto the last two. They will always only be a supplement to the films, for me, but once I've read em I'm a true Potter fan :D

I spent most of today totally overhauling my book blog, which hadn't been touched since 2013. Think it's starting to look pretty nifty, now. It's a Blogger site, but thanks to Blogger's capacity for custom HTML/CSS and Javascript, my page is now seriously minimalist, with an image slider on the left which links to various reviews, drop down menus at the top for neatly organising all my reviews by author, genre, and rating, and divided columns within posts for minimal widgets and gadgets and things. :) As indicated by 'Category 3', it's not yet finished, but I'm nearly there! (And yes, I know it's 2015, I screencapped before I changed it XD )

post-4797-0-36677300-1421005007_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nollaig

I love the name of your blog! So clever. :)

Haha thanks, it's actually a very common book blog title which I shamelessly stole :P

Oooh, I will check out your blog :)! I love the look of it.

Thanks! It's not quite done, but it's getting there.