Bobblybear's Book List - 2015

bobblybear

I shall add Sputnik Sweetheart to my wishlist, I think. I have also read Kafka on the Shore, but couldn't tell you anything about it or even if I finished it. I don't think I was at a Murakami-ready stage of my life back then. 

:lol: Well it's good that you've reached it now :giggle2: It is a fickle thing, this Murakami stage :D 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yet again, I'm far behind on reviews. :blush2:  :doh:

The Curse of the House of Foskett - M.R.C. Kasasian

Good old Sidney Grice and his ward, March Middleton have returned in the second book of The Gower Street series – a detective tale set in Victorian London.

This time, the story is based around a club called the Final Death Society, in which a small group of elite society types have formed an agreement whereby the last remaining one alive inherits the wealth of all others. When they start dropping off, one of the members seeks out Sidney Grice's help (and promptly drops dead in front of him). After Sidney recovers from the inconvenience of having said society type expire on his living room floor, he and March begin the investigation into who is committing these murders.

I think I preferred the storyline of the first book, which I found to be as strong as the characters. The storyline in this one didn't grab my attention as much, and so the strength of the book for me was the interaction of the characters, mainly Sidney Grice (or Mr. G :D ), March, and the maid Molly, who is hilariously flakey. That's not to say I didn't enjoy the story, I just didn't find it as interesting. I think it's because there were more characters involved in the investigation, and some events leading to the conclusion were a bit far fetched.

The book is also fairly gruesome in parts, which doesn't necessarily bother me,  but I wasn't keen on the parts that involved animal cruelty (which I had been prewarned about in someone else's review on here).

There is also more insight into March's backstory, which I am very intrigued by. Hopefully more will be revealed in the third book - which I am looking forward to reading, but just waiting for it to be a bit cheaper!

4/6

We Need to Talk About Kelvin: What Everyday Things Tells Us About The Universe - Marcus Chown

Don't be fooled by the colourful childlike cover, like I was; this is heavy reading.

It covers a lot of aspects of physics - starting with sub-atomic particles, and then working up to things of a grander scale (ie. the sun and how it is powered, etc). I struggled through the first few chapters, mainly because a lot of it went over my head, and also that I am more interested in the bigger picture (the universe as a whole). I can understand why the author started off from the very small, as it's the logical place to start, but I don't think it was the best place to start in terms of grabbing the readers' attention. Then again, I can only speak for myself and what my interests are. He does try to make it more approachable with relating things to every day events and experiences, but there really is no way to make particle physics easy to understand. :lol:

So, as I said I struggled with the beginning but as he began to discuss the grander aspects of cosmology, he held my interest easier. I can't say I'm any wiser though, but with a lot of these books I can nod my head as I read, feel I understand it, but I'll be completely lost if you ask me to explain it back to you. :lol:

3/6

Edited by bobblybear

Random Acts of Senseless Violence - Jack Womack

This is set a short time in the future in New York. Society is slowly starting to break down, with Presidents being assassinated on a fairly regular basis, curfews are in place and the army has taken to the streets to impose control.

Lola is a nice, well-adjusted 12 year old girl, living in a slightly privileged area of New York, with her mum and dad, and younger sister. She is a typical 12 year old, who fights with her younger sister and bickers with her friends about silly unimportant things. On her birthday, she gets a diary, and this is how the story is told, through her writing about the events happening around her and impacting on her life.

When money becomes tight, they are forced to move to a less prestigious part of the city, and as Lola starts to mix with different local kids she slowly starts to change.

This was so well told through Lola's diary entries, and the changes that happen are so subtly done. You can't put your finger on when it changes as it's so gradual - Lola's voice -  but the Lola from the end is very different from the Lola from the start.

This is definitely a character based plot, with Lola being the key person obviously, but her interactions with her new friends and old ones, shows the contrast between her old comfortable (yet deteriorating) world and this new one she is now living in. I thought the end was quite chilling, though it was not all that surprising. It was a very realistic depiction of society crumbling, and there were many small changes happening over a fairly short space of time, and before you knew it, it was full-blown chaos.

Recommended, but I wouldn't classify it as science-fiction - which seems to be the genre it is marketed in.

4/6

Great reviews! I wonder how deep We Need to Talk About Kelvin goes, as I know a fair bit about some of these things. I'm always happy to learn more, but I'm reluctant to read a lot more on such subjects as often I know more than the book. I might have to keep this one in mind, thanks :).

Nothing wrong with that, it took me a while before I grasped things too :). I've read books and had multiple courses on such subjects. Just before the exam of a course related to this subject, the teacher said that if we felt we understood it, we didn't understand it, and if we felt we didn't quite understand it, then we would understand it. I felt as if I couldn't totally grasp the concept but I did well on the exam, so I think he was right!

Random Acts of Senseless Violence - Jack Womack

This is set a short time in the future in New York. Society is slowly starting to break down, with Presidents being assassinated on a fairly regular basis, curfews are in place and the army has taken to the streets to impose control.

Lola is a nice, well-adjusted 12 year old girl, living in a slightly privileged area of New York, with her mum and dad, and younger sister. She is a typical 12 year old, who fights with her younger sister and bickers with her friends about silly unimportant things. On her birthday, she gets a diary, and this is how the story is told, through her writing about the events happening around her and impacting on her life.

When money becomes tight, they are forced to move to a less prestigious part of the city, and as Lola starts to mix with different local kids she slowly starts to change.

This was so well told through Lola's diary entries, and the changes that happen are so subtly done. You can't put your finger on when it changes as it's so gradual - Lola's voice -  but the Lola from the end is very different from the Lola from the start.

This is definitely a character based plot, with Lola being the key person obviously, but her interactions with her new friends and old ones, shows the contrast between her old comfortable (yet deteriorating) world and this new one she is now living in. I thought the end was quite chilling, though it was not all that surprising. It was a very realistic depiction of society crumbling, and there were many small changes happening over a fairly short space of time, and before you knew it, it was full-blown chaos.

Recommended, but I wouldn't classify it as science-fiction - which seems to be the genre it is marketed in.

4/6

Glad you enjoyed it in the end, bobbly :smile:   I guess they class dystopian as a sub-genre science fiction :unsure:  :shrug:

I've updated my 'Purchased this year' list with my recent acquisitions. I'm always taken by surprise at how many I buy. :wacko:  I blame the Kindle....I was never this bad until I got one. :lol:

The Atlantis Plague - AG Riddle

The Atlantis Gene - AG Riddle

Stone Mattress: Nine Tales - Margaret Atwood

Lost At Sea: The Jon Ronson Mysteries - Jon Ronson

A Walk In The Woods - Bill Bryson

Under The Skin - Michel Faber

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer, Anne Barrows

The Missionary Position: Mother Theresa in Theory and Practice - Christopher Hitchens

The Shadow Wife - Diane Chamberlain

Wonder - RJ Palacio

The Journal of a Disappointed Man - Wilhelm Nero Pilate Barbellion

I was looking at those a few days ago but managed to stop myself :lol:

Clearly you have more self control than I do! :lol:

Hope you have a great reading year in 2015..... :P :P :readingtwo: :readingtwo:

Thanks! :D ...and welcome to the forum. :smile:

I hope you enjoy your new books, BB :)! I really liked The Shadow Wife and Wonder.

Thanks. Hopefully I will get to read them sooner rather than later. :smile:

Interesting comments on The Girl On the Train. I loved it (well most of it) and I loved the narrator but can totally understand someone not liking her - she's not that likeable. I agree about the ending though - it was pretty dire.

Great reviews, Bobbly, especially The Curse of the House of Foskett and Random Acts of Senseless Violence. I haven't read the latter yet, but I wish someone had forewarned me of the animal cruelty in the former. :( It was particularly distressing given my love of cats. :(

I hope you enjoy your recent purchases. I loved A Walk in the Woods and The Guernsey Literary... Under the Skin sounds creepy indeed, but I remember Frankie rated it quite highly. I'm getting more and more intrigued by it. I really should bump it up my TBR pile!

Excellent reviews, BB.  I really want to get to The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles, and soon! 

I've read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and loved it. 

I've updated my 'Purchased this year' list with my recent acquisitions. I'm always taken by surprise at how many I buy. :wacko:  I blame the Kindle....I was never this bad until I got one. :lol:

The Atlantis Plague - AG Riddle

The Atlantis Gene - AG Riddle

Stone Mattress: Nine Tales - Margaret Atwood

Lost At Sea: The Jon Ronson Mysteries - Jon Ronson

A Walk In The Woods - Bill Bryson

Under The Skin - Michel Faber

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer, Anne Barrows

The Missionary Position: Mother Theresa in Theory and Practice - Christopher Hitchens

The Shadow Wife - Diane Chamberlain

Wonder - RJ Palacio

The Journal of a Disappointed Man - Wilhelm Nero Pilate Barbellion

Ooooh, hella loads of books! :lol: I loved The Guernsey book, I really hope you enjoy it! :smile2: And I see the Journal book which someone just recently recommended... :D The power of persuasion of BCF members' reviews... :giggle2: 

I want to read Under the Skin since it was mentioned in the Disturbing novels thread :P

You should! :yes::cool: 

Hmm, I'm a little worried about Under the Skin because so many people had to give up on it. :wacko:  But I had to buy it as it was only £0.99. :P

For what it's worth, and in my humble opinion, there was nothing putdownable in the novel. You read true crime and other gory stuff, right? (If I remember correctly :o) If so, you'll be fine with it. I thought it was a riveting read. Nothing I expected it to be, though, but that was just so cool. When things started unraveling... The way the story's constructed, especially in the beginning. You'll know what I mean if and when you read the book :cool: 

I hope you enjoy your recent purchases. I loved A Walk in the Woods and The Guernsey Literary... Under the Skin sounds creepy indeed, but I remember Frankie rated it quite highly. I'm getting more and more intrigued by it. I really should bump it up my TBR pile!

Very well remembered re: Under the Skin :D Some years ago I almost sent you my copy. But I couldn't part ways with it :blush: I still highly recommend the novel! 

Great reviews, Bobbly, especially The Curse of the House of Foskett and Random Acts of Senseless Violence. I haven't read the latter yet, but I wish someone had forewarned me of the animal cruelty in the former. :( It was particularly distressing given my love of cats

I mentioned it in my review last year - not that it's much help to you now :(

Given that there are a lot of animal lovers here - and this is the second time I've encountered something like this in the last few days - I'm thinking of adding a warnings section to my reviews. I'm just not sure how to do it without spoiling :unsure:

Given that there are a lot of animal lovers here - and this is the second time I've encountered something like this in the last few days - I'm thinking of adding a warnings section to my reviews. I'm just not sure how to do it without spoiling :unsure:

"If you are terribly sensitive to terribly insensitive and straight-on vile and violent acts committed upon innocent things (possibly animals, but I can't say that it is for sure animals, as that could be seen as a spoiler), proceed with extreme caution."

Very well remembered re: Under the Skin :D Some years ago I almost sent you my copy. But I couldn't part ways with it :blush: I still highly recommend the novel! 

Yay! My memory doesn't always let me down, then. :) Aw, that was a sweet thought.  :friends3:

I mentioned it in my review last year - not that it's much help to you now :(

Oh dear. I probably did read it then and just forgot!  :doh:

"If you are terribly sensitive to terribly insensitive and straight-on vile and violent acts committed upon innocent things (possibly animals, but I can't say that it is for sure animals, as that could be seen as a spoiler), proceed with extreme caution."

:giggle2:  Very good!