Andrea's books 2015

~Andrea~

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I didn't start Godric as I was really tired last night but still wanted to read before trying to sleep, and I think Godric will be a bit hardgoing. So I settled for The Golden Fool instead which I know I will enjoy and find an easy pleasant read.

I don't know if 'enjoy' is the right word for such a strange book! :D I remember it remarkably well considering I read it quite a few years ago. That's the mark of a good book to me. I remember it being difficult and confusing, but overall I thought it was very clever. And I've since bought volumes of Kafka's collected stories and short stories, as well as his diaries and letters, so I guess that means I enjoyed it! :)

• 1 month later...

Finished The Golden Fool last night. Another great Farseer read. As ever I want to pick up the next one straight away, but I won't. I have two unfinished books to crack on with, so I'll get cracking with King Solomon's carpet next I think.

I have two unfinished books to crack on with, so I'll get cracking with King Solomon's carpet next I think.

Without wanting to big it up too much so that it can only disappoint, I loved King Solomon's Carpet. I have a thing for books about London, but this has been one of the best. Quirkily different! I hope you enjoy too.

Finished The Golden Fool last night. Another great Farseer read. As ever I want to pick up the next one straight away, but I won't. I have two unfinished books to crack on with, so I'll get cracking with King Solomon's carpet next I think.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I hope you enjoy your two unfinished reads too :).

Without wanting to big it up too much so that it can only disappoint, I loved King Solomon's Carpet. I have a thing for books about London, but this has been one of the best. Quirkily different! I hope you enjoy too.

Thanks. I have actually become quite hooked since getting stuck in again so I'm looking forward to completing this one.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I hope you enjoy your two unfinished reads too :).

• 4 weeks later...

I finished King Solomon's Carpet at last. Not sure why it took me so long to read, probably because I haven't been very disciplined about going to bed on time lately and I do most of my reading in bed.

from Amazon:

Jarvis Stringer lives in a crumbling schoolhouse overlooking a tube line, compiling his obsessive, secret history of London's Underground. His presence and his strange house draw a band of misfits into his orbit: young Alice, who has run away from her husband and baby; Tom, the busker who rescues her; truant Jasper who gets his kicks on the tube; and mysterious Axel, whose dark secret later casts a shadow over all of their lives.

Dispossessed and outcast, those who come to inhabit Jarvis's schoolhouse are gradually brought closer together in violent and unforeseen ways by London's forbidding and dangerous Undergound . .

My thoughts:

This was an enjoyable read, a dark and thoughtful character based story. The pace was steady rather than fast but the characters engaging. In some ways I found it a somewhat disjointed read, not in a bad way, but there are quite a lot of characters and the links between them are fairly loose, so the story is a bit of a patchwork of different lives running alongside each other. But the things that happen in those lives were sometimes shocking and I was always interested in what was happening to these people. It was very well written, almost literary for a crime novel or psychological thriller.

I also enjoyed the little asides about the history of the Underground which added to the atmosphere of the book and helped to paint the scene.

Next: The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

Edited by ~Andrea~

Great review of King Solomon's Carpet  :smile: . I've never read any of Barbara Vine's books, as I have had an aversion to psychological thrillers for a while. I loved Room, but after that one I tend to shy away from psych thrillers. Ridiculous, I know  :blush2: .Maybe I should dip into them again, as The Girl on the Train is getting great reviews too.

I loved Room too Marie. I'm loving The Girl on the Train and would definitely recommend it based on what I've read so far - it's really pacey and the characters are so interesting but I'm not even a quarter way through yet. The Barbara Vine is somewhat slower. I'd never read any of hers before either.

• 2 weeks later...

The Girl On The Train

This is the story of Rachel, who likes to watch people in their houses from her seat on the train. She gets drawn into the life of one couple in particular and one day sees something that shocks and upsets her. From thereon she becomes truly caught up in their lives and is no longer a mere spectator. Described as "Rear Window meets Gone Girl, in this exceptional and startling psychological thriller"

Warning my spoiler tags contain some quite big spoilers so no peeking if you want to read :)

This book had me utterly engrossed from page one. The main narrator is Rachel, who, as it becomes increasingly clear, is quite an unstable person with lots of issues. That made her really interesting, and I thought she was well drawn and believable. The other characters as well were interesting and flawed and I liked the emotional turmoil and complexity in the book. The story itself was gripping and I always wanted to know what would happen next. It was often hard to put down.

So the book got off to a great start. There were however a few things I didn't like. I really could not believe

all the press coverage about the disappearance of Megan. It was covered in great detail by major national newspapers when really I would have thought this kind of thing happens far too often (unfortunately) for the big papers and channels to be able to cover in any detail, if indeed at all. It's only really missing teenage girls and children that get this kind of national coverage (and they were delving into her background and all sorts) I'd have bought it if the coverage was from the local press. So maybe that was a minor quibble but it really bugged me when I was reading it.

Another thing I couldn't buy into at all was

the sudden transformation of Tom from adored ex-husband to moustache-twirling villain. Being in an angry mood after dealing with Rachel and then straight afterwards being confronted with Megan's demands and threats to ruin his life and expose him could easily be enough to explain why, in a moment of madness, he is driven to kill. There was no need to suddenly make him into something quite evil. I think the author went a step too far there, and it was unnecessary. I'd have preferred some subtlety; I like characters who have elements of light and shade and darkness rather than being wholly one or the other.

Overall I really enjoyed the book and would recommend it, but it did have one or two rather large flaws.

Edited by ~Andrea~

• 1 month later...

I haven't been reading a great deal lately. I've been ploughing away with my Philosophy of Mind book which is a bit of a tome and quite hardgoing at times although very interesting. I am struggling with Godric though. It's a modern book set in medieval times and written in medieval style language and it's quite hard work. I think maybe the heavy nature of my current reads is why I'm not reading a lot lately lol!

I picked up a load of second hand books for £2 from my church fete last May bank holiday though and a lot of them were quite light reads so I guess I'm craving that:

Gillian Flynn - Sharp Objects
Gillian Flynn - Dark Places
Ian Rankin - A Cool Head
Ian Rankin - Watchmen
Fern Britten - A Seaside Affair
Pam Rhodes - Letting Go
Susan Hill - The Various Haunts of Men
Charles Dickens - A Tale of Two Cities
JoJo Moyes - The Girl You Left Behind

John Caunt - Organise Yourself
A little box of Penguins (10 tiny books) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Penguins-Volumes-Including-Umneys/dp/0140954139/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1432640794&sr=1-2&keywords=little+box+of+penguins