(illustrations by Tony Ross)

13335680.jpg

Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Age-range: Children

Format: Hardback (Library Loan)

Pages: 299

Date read: 13-06-2015 <-> 14-06-2015

ISBN: 9780007443888

Synopsis (GoodReads): Ben is bored beyond belief after he is made to stay at his grandma's house. All she wants to do is to play Scrabble, and eat cabbage soup. But there are two things Ben doesn't know about his grandma: she was once an international jewel thief and she has been plotting to steal the crown jewels. Now she needs Ben's help.

My thoughts:

I saw this book at the library and I noticed this book had the same illustrator as the Horrid Henry books by Francesca Simon, which I recently read a few of. I liked Tony Ross' illustrations in the six Horrid Henry books I read, so I decided to give this book a go. There were two other books by this author available at the library. However since I had the maximum amoutn of books, I could only borrow two out of three books there. Axtually I took all three but then found the Judy Blume book which I decided I'd rather loan so I put one of the books by David Walliams back. The other one I've loaned is Awful Auntie. I started with this one, because the synopsis seemed the more interesting one out of the two.

The illustrations in this book were nice, in the same style as I'm used to from this illustrator. The book was funny. On occasion it contained some fourth wall breaking stuff (the narrator talks to the reader). I liked the characters. I could predict a few of the plot twists, but that doesn't mean the story wasn't enjoyable.

Overall I quite enjoyed reading this story. I really liked the humour of the book. I liked the characters and the plot twists. I've got Awful Auntie also borrowed from the library, so I'll be reading that soon.

Rating: (*****) (9/10)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Walliams - Awful Auntie

(illustrations by Tony Ross)

23018710.jpg

Genre: Historical Fiction

Pages: 413

Date read: 14-06-2015

ISBN: 9780007453610

Synopsis (GoodReads): Stella Saxby is the sole heir to Saxby Hall. But awful Aunt Alberta and her giant owl will stop at nothing to get it from her. Luckily Stella has a secret - and slightly spooky - weapon up her sleeve ...

My thoughts:

After reading Gansta Granny and really liking that book, I went on to read Awful Auntie. I had borrowed both of them from the library. There was a third book by the author available but I didn't borrow it (because I already had the maximum amount).

This was an enjoyable story. It was pretty suspenseful. I guessed a few plot twists but the story was very good. The book was funny and I liked the writing style. I had a slight problem with the 'Cockney rhyming slang' but gladly the book explains everything well. I liked the illustrations, they were nice.

Overall I enjoyed reading this book and I would be interested in reading more books by this author if / when the library has them available.

Luc Descamps - De Donkere Getallen 2: Gevangen in de Tijd

LucDescampsDeDonkereGetallen2Gevangenind

(edit: I took this photo myself of the library edition)

Genre: Horror, Historical Fiction, Science-fiction

Pages: 138

Date read: 14-06-2015

ISBN: 9789462340121

Synopsis (me): In this book Harry accidentally travels back in time to 1837, where a doctor conducts strange experiments on kidnapped children.

My thoughts:

I saw several books of this series at the library. It says on the backs of the books the stories can be read on their own. I borrowed the ones that were there because they sounded interesting. Book 2 was first.

This book was pretty suspenseful. The characters were interesting (they were new to me, though of course if you're read book 2, some of them will not be). I liked the concept of 'donkere getallen' ('dark numbers'). The story is a bit scary. This book is book 2 in the series, but I was able to understand the story relatively well. I particularly liked the character of Smurrie, he was very endearing. The last third of it I felt was quite suspenseful, but I felt the plot could've moved quicker during a certain part of the story in the last third of the book.

Overall then I liked reading the book, it was pretty suspenseful. I've got four other books in this series loaned from the library (books 4, 5, 6, and 7), I look forward to reading them too.

Rating: (****) (8/10)

Luc Descamps - De Donkere Getallen 4: Katharentreden

LucDescampsDeDonkereGetallen4Katharentre

Genre: Historical Fiction, Science-fiction

Pages: 135

Date read: 14-06-2015 <-> 15-06-2015

ISBN: 9789462340145

Synopsis (me): Upon request from a professor, Harry travels to France, and he time-travels to the year 1244 and tries to find the Holy Grail.

My thoughts:

After reading book 2 in this series, I went on to read book 4. I have borrowed books 2, 4, 5, 6 and 7 from the library (that was what they had available).

The book starts off with an introduction, explaining a few things about what's happened so far. After the story there are two pages on the 'Katharen' (the 'cathars'?) and two pages on the 'Heilige Graal' (Holy Grail).

The story was pretty suspenseful. It wasn't as horror-ish as the previous book I read, book 2 in the series. I enjoyed this one more. I liked the characters and the setting. The story mostly takes place in France, in 1244. I liked the writing style. I was a little bit disappointed that there was a character whom I was expecting to appear again before the end but that didn't happen.

Overall then this was an enjoyable book. It dragged on less than book 2 and I really liked the setting of it. The medieval castle was nice. I will be continuing on with book 5 in the series.

Luc Descamps - De Donkere Getallen 5: Piratennest

LucDescampsDeDonkereGetallen5Piratennest

Pages: 151

Date read:

ISBN: 9789462340152

Synopsis (me): Harry is asked to travel back in time to 1692 to save a pirate treasure.

My thoughts:

After reading books 2 and 4, I continued with the series. I have borrowed books 2, 4, 5, 6, and 7 from the library.

The book contains a couple of pages on what's happened so far in the series, mainly introducing the characters and the concept of the series.

Harry can now travel through time as well as space which means he won't have to take a long time to travel to Jamaica first. The story partially takes place on a pirate ship. It was interesting to read. I liked the characters, though after reading the third book in this series I have to say there are patterns as well. The story was suspenseful.

Overall then I enjoyed reading this book, but I do find with this series that the first half is more interesting than the second half, for some reason. I can't quite explain why. Maybe I enjoy the descriptions in the beginning more than the action in the later part of the book? I'm also finding it's becoming a bit tedious so for my next read I might read another book along side the next book in this series, to keep it a bit more interesting.

Probably weird, but I never read any of her work even when I was younger. My sister did, but at that time it was not the type of book I was interested in. Might be interesting to read a few of them now.

I read a few of them when I was 11 or 12 and recently bought a couple very cheap on kindle to revisit.

I loved Judy Blume, my friends and I used to chant "I must, I must, I must increase my bust" whilst doing the exercises recommended to the character in Are you there God, it's me Margaret, those were the days eh?! :D

:giggle2: Are you There is one of the ones I got to revisit! It was a bit dated when I read in the 1990s. I remember being extremely confused by her description of sanitary towels - it didn't sound a bit like the ones in the shops :lol:

:giggle2: Are you There is one of the ones I got to revisit! It was a bit dated when I read in the 1990s. I remember being extremely confused by her description of sanitary towels - it didn't sound a bit like the ones in the shops :lol:

It sounds like I should definitely read that book some time then :giggle2: (with all the good recommendations).

Luc Descamps - De Donkere Getallen 6: Ridder voor Altijd

LucDescampsDeDonkereGetallen6RiddervoorA

Pages: 167

Date read:

ISBN: 9789462340152

Synopsis (me): Harry travels back in time to Antwerp in medieval times, but accidentally brings back a knight when he travels back to contemporary / his current time.

My thoughts:

After reading book 5, I was getting a bit tired of reading books by the same author, in a row, so I started another book alongside this one. This one was pretty good though (as is the other book I'm reading, John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice 4: Oakleaf Bearers).

The book starts off with two fact files, one for Harry and one for Maureen, to tell the story so far (the basic premise).

In this book a knight from medieval times accidentally travels to our time, when Harry tries to get back to his own time. I liked this story more than the previous books I've read in the series (books 2, 4 and 5). It was nice that this story was a bit different in set up and it contained some good twists I wasn't expecting. I really liked the descriptions of Antwerp (or Antwerpen as the city is called in Flemish), I hope to visit the city maybe this summer.

Overall then I enjoyed this book more than the other books that I've read so far of this series. There were some good plot twists, and the story was more different comapred with books 2, 4 and 5. I've got book 7 left to read, the last one. I will also look at the library some time for books 1 and 3.

Luc Descamps - De Donkere Getallen 7: Reis Naar de Toekomst

LucDescampsDeDonkereGetallen7ReisNaardeT

Genre: Science-fiction

Pages: 182

Date read: 17-06-2015

ISBN: 9789462340176

Synopsis (me): Harry tries to travel to the future instead of the past.

My thoughts:

After reading enjoying book 6 (and enjoying books 2, 4 and 5), I was eager to finish off this series (except books 1 and 3, which I haven't seen yet at the library but I'm sure they do have them).

The book starts with 5 fact files explaining the concept of the books and introducing the characters. The story takes off where book 6 left off (as in, it talks a bit about what happened after book 6 ended).

It was great to read this last book. It partially takes place in the future (in the year 2100) and that's very interesting. I really liked how the future was imagined, it was creative (I wouldn't want the future to be like that though!). It does have a similar element to a classic work of fiction, but I found it to be quite interesting.

I liked the characters and the plot twists. The story was suspenseful and I wanted to keep on reading it. I finished it in one afternoon.

Overall then I enjoyed this book the most, compared with books 2, 4, 5 and 6. It's my favourite one of the series. After that it's book 6. I'll try to find books 1 and 3 at the library some time.

John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice 4: Oakleaf Bearers

12502050.jpg

Genre: Fantasy

Pages: 329 (excluding excerpt)

Date read: 15-06-2015 <-> 17-06-2015

ISBN: 9780440867418

Synopsis: (no synopsis because the book is part of a series).

My thoughts:

After reading various books in this series, I was happy to have found books 4 and 5 at the library.

The book continues where book 3 ended, while repeating the last bit that happened (perhaps it was written differently than in book 3 though, I don't remember that).

It was really nice to read a book in this series again. Immediately from the beginning I was into the story. I really liked the writing style, the books reads easily (more easily than the De Donkere Getallen books by Luc Descamps, which I recently read, but they are in Flemish so that could have something to do with it too. It makes me think, I don't think Flemish is considered a language on its own, as in the book the character refers to himself as 'speaking Dutch' so maybe even the Belgians call it Dutch even if it's a dialect from it :shrug:. I don't know, I like to keep track of the books I read that are published in Belgium so heh I hope nobody minds).

I really liked the characters in this book. Of course, most of them were already familiar to me, and it was great to read about them again. It was great to read this part of the story, which continues on from book 3 (which I wasn't liking because I didn't know book 3 would end in a cliffhanger). Most of the books are standalone stories, but books 3 and 4 are connected, as are books 5 and 6, and books 8 and 9.

I quite liked the plot twists in the story and the descriptions of ie. the archery in the book were good too.

Overall then I really liked reading this book, and I enjoyed reading this part of the story. I liked the book more than book 3, and just as much as some of the other books in this series (but I think if pressed this wouldn't be my all time favourite one). After this I have book 5 left to read, which I've borrowed from the library. I hope to find books 2, 6 and 10 at the library some time soon too, so I can read those as well (in order of how much I want to read them, first 6, then 10, then 2, because I think book 5 might end on a bit of a cliffhanger too).

Rating: (*****) (10/10)

I never really post in here because I don't really read much of the kind of books you read (except those Scott Meyer ones, which were a glorious exception), but I wanted to say hello anyway :lol: Glad you're enjoying all your latest reads :)

I never really post in here because I don't really read much of the kind of books you read (except those Scott Meyer ones, which were a glorious exception), but I wanted to say hello anyway :lol: Glad you're enjoying all your latest reads :)

Thanks, Noll :lol:! It's nice to know you read bits of my thread :). I'm still happy you really liked the Scott Meyer ones, that's one we have in common at least :giggle2:.

I have to admit, that lately what I read partially depends on what the library has that catches my eye. And I have a lot of unread books on my shelves too :doh:. But I do like finding some interesting books at the library and coming home with new books. I'm really working on not buying many books nor spending much money on them (or anything else), but I do like having something new now and then, so the library really helps with this. I do try to read all the books I borrow (I usually succeed).

John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice 5: The Sorcerer in the North

15783742.jpg

Genre: Fantasy

Pages: 331 (excluding excerpt)

Date read: 18-06-2015 <-> 19-06-2015

ISBN: 9780440869054

Synopsis: (no synopsis because the book is part of a series).

My thoughts:

After reading book 4 in the series, I went on to read book 5. I've borrowed both from the library. I had already read all the other books, except books 2, 6 and 10 (and of course book 5). I hope to find the ones I haven't read yet at the library soon.

Between book 4 and 5 is book 7, the events from that book take place between these two books, but the book was written later, when the author realised there were certain events, between books 4 and 5, that he hadn't written about very much.

This book was a good read. It doesn't totally end though, as book 5 and 6 are kind of a continuing story. It helped that I looked this up beforehand, but I was still not entirely satisfied with where the book ended. I did really like the writing style and the characters. It was nice to read this part of the story (it is referred to in later books), and I'm really eager now to read book 6. It was also nice to see more of Alyss, who didn't play a big role in books 1, 3 and 4 (I don't know about book 2 as I haven't read that yet).

Overall then I enjoyed reading this book and I hope to find books 2, 6 and 10 at the library soon. I really do enjoy reading this series and one day I hope to own them all for myself (preferably in English, of course). It's quite lucky that the library has these in English. They also have the Dutch translation but I'm happy I got to read them in the original language. The author has also written another series, or is still writing it, called Brotherband, which takes place in the same world but in a different country. The library has the Dutch translations of this, not the English ones unfortunately. I have borrowed books 2-4 in Dutch from this series (they didn't have book 1), so I will be giving those a go soon (they are due in a week so :P). I will only read them though if the translation is allright, otherwise it'll maybe only annoy me. But who knows, it might be a good translation :).

John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice 5: The Sorcerer in the North

Between book 4 and 5 is book 7, the events from that book take place between these two books, but the book was written later, when the author realised there were certain events, between books 4 and 5, that he hadn't written about very much.

I will only read them though if the translation is allright, otherwise it'll maybe only annoy me. But who knows, it might be a good translation :).

That's odd, that it was written that way!  I'm glad you are enjoying this series and I hope the Brotherband series works out!

That's odd, that it was written that way!  I'm glad you are enjoying this series and I hope the Brotherband series works out!

Thanks! So far it is pretty good. I'm not liking it as much as the Ranger's Apprentice books, but I am enjoying it and the translation is pretty good actually (at least, it's quite readable and the writing style is nice, so I presume the original is similar).

I went to the library yesterday, it was the national "Nacht van de Bibliotheek", or "Night of the Library". My local library had lots of events (and I'm sure other libraries in the country did too). It was pretty busy, but it was nice to see people enjoying themselves. When we were there, there was a performance for children, they seemed to really like it. There were several other events going on too. I saw the mayor, I believe. She was reading to children (at a different time than the performance). There was a good "mood" in the atmosphere. Also, there was a bowl with free marshmellows (or rather, the Dutch variant, spekjes, but marshmellows are the closest thing to what it was). I walked past it and I casually remarked how nice it was that they had something like that (I was thinking of the children as the bowl was near dress-up clothes for children). The lady said I was welcome to have one, so I did :D. I hardly ever eat them to be honest, but it was nice to have one :).

I first had a look around the library books, to see if I could find some specific books I've been looking for. And I found two! Then my boyfriend was still flicking through a book, so out of impatience I had a look around the library and found lots more nice Stilton books to borrow (I've never seen them have that many available, and it's still only a part of the whole collection of the library). I might save them for the read-a-thon, I'll have to think about it. A list and photos to follow, of course. It will take me a bit of time to catalogue it all (including the books I bought).

They also had a library book sale, so naturally I bought some books! It didn't look like there was a lot at first (they said they'd supply new books each hour though), but I managed to find some nice books (more than I thought I would). A list and photo will be posted at a later time, as it'll take me a bit of time to catalogue everything. They are mainly children's books and adult fantasy. The other genres of adults didn't seem that familiar or interesting to me, and the ones that seemed interesting I usually already owned.

Overall then I had a lovely time there! It was more busy than usually, which was tiring of course. But I had a lot of fun, and I love all my new books (well, at least, I have to find that out by reading them, but I'm happy with getting them).

Lists and photos to follow :).

Your Library Night sounds lovely; I hope you enjoy your new books.  :smile:

Thanks, Sarah :)!

I hope to catalogue them today or at least tomorrow (we've having some family over today), so I will post photos and a list soon.

Library night sounds like it would be very fun. I wish my library was more welcoming. Maybe it's because I recently moved to the area, got a card, and only use the self-checkout but whenever I walk in I try to get out as quick as I can because I feel uncomfortable. I don't know why. I wish it was a place of comfort that I could spend more time at :(

Anyway....I hope you enjoy the books you bought! Also the marshmallow thing sounds very interesting :lol:

Awww :(. My library has a self-checkout too which I usually use, but I do talk to the people there sometimes (mostly, when the check-out isn't working or when I'm buying ex-library books). I'm sorry to hear you don't feel so comfortable at your library :(.

Thanks :D! Haha, it was interesting. They looked like this:

animaatjes-snoep-43569.jpg

I already had these library loans:

John Flanagan - Broederband 2: De Indringers (Brotherband 2: The Invaders)

John Flanagan - Broederband 3: De Jagers (Brotherband 3: The Hunters)

John Flanagan - Broederband 4: De Slaven van Socorro (Brotherband 4: Slaves of Socorro

New Library Loans:

John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice 10: The Emperor of Nihon-Ja (yay, I finally found book 10. Now all that's left are books 2 and 6. Maybe next time!)

John Flanagan - Broederband 1: De Outsiders (Brotherband 1: The Outcasts) (I thought on the off-chance that they have book 1, I'll have a look.. and they did!)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 37: Red de Witte Walvis! (Salviamo La Balena Bianca!) (then, my boyfriend was flicking through a book and because I was a bit impatient, I couldn't help myself and had a look at the Stilton stuff.. and they had more of them than I've ever seen them have before! And this is a fraction of all the Stilton books that've been published, or that the library owns.)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 51: Schattenjacht in de Zwarte Heuvels (Il Tesoro Delle Colline Nere)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 62: Geronimo Moet Verhuizen! (Geronimo Cerca Casa)

Thea Stilton - Het Leven op Topford 4: De Danswedstrijd (Sfida a Ritmo Di Danza!)

Thea Stilton - Het Leven op Topford 6: De Magische Muisical (Cinque Amiche Per Un Musical)

Thea Stilton - Thea Stilton 17: Paniek op Hawaï (La Leggenda Dei Fiori Di Fuocco)

Geronimo Stilton - De Drie Muisketiers (I Tre Moschettieri)

Geronimo Stilton - De Avonturen van Robinson Crusoe (Le Avventure di Robinson Crusoe)

Geronimo Stilton - Jolanda, Dochter van de Zwarte Piraat (Jolanda, La Figlia Del Corsaro Nero)

Geronimo Stilton - Fantasia 8: Fantasia VIII (Ottavo Viaggio Nel Regno Della Fantasia)

Geronimo Stilton - De Kronieken van Fantasia 1: Het Verloren Rijk (Cronache Del Regno Della Fantasia 1: Il Reame Perduto)

Geronimo Stilton - De Kronieken van Fantasia 2: De Betoverde Poort (Cronache Del Regno Della Fantasia 2: La Porta Incantata)

Thea Stilton - Princessen van Fantasia 4: De Woudprinses (Principessa Delle Foreste)

Thea Stilton - Heksen van Fantasia 5: De Heks van Stof en As (Strega Della Cenere)

NewLibraryLoans_0.5.jpg

New books bought in the library sale:

Michael Coleman - Waanzinnig om te Weten: Die Onverslaanbare Olympische Spelen (Flaming Olympics) (I used to read this series when I was a child[/b]

Marie-José Balm, Jos van Hest and Marjolein Krijger - N46: Blauw: Mini-Informatie (I had completely forgotten about this series of information booklets until I saw them during the sale. For nostalgia's sake I couldn't help myself.. so I picked one about the colour blue, of the early series and.. see below:)

William van den Akker - N195: Voedsel Bewaren: Informatie (... and I also picked one from the later series which has a different design, such nostalgia seeing these books again and now owning them.)

Geronimo Stilton - Superhelden 1: De Bende Van Ratstad (I Difensori Di Muskusrat City) (naturally, I had to have this Stilton book that I haven't read yet nor did I own it).

Cynthia Voigt - Kwaaie Meiden 1: Kwaaie Meiden (Bad Girls 1: Bad Girls) (again a lot of nostalgia seeing this cover again, I had completely forgot about this book. I had no idea it was part of a series as that information isn't on the Dutch cover and apparently not all of them were translated. I remember I really liked this book when I was a teenager. I also really like some other books by this author).

Emily Rodda - Deltora 2: Het Tranenmeer (The Lake of Tears) (I have other books in this series so of course I bought this one)

Lemony Snicket - Ellendige Avonturen 8: Het Horror Hospitaal (A Series of Unfortunate Events 8: The Hostile Hospital) (I have other books in this series so I bought this one)

Paul van Loon - Dolfje Weerwolfje 2: Volle Maan (my sister always really liked this book. I've never read it as when she was reading it I was in a teenage phase of children's books are too easy for me, but I look forward to reading it now. I love a lot of other books by this author).

Eddy C. Bertin - Valentina 6: Kille Dromen (I had no idea this was part of a series, but I own book 3 in the series, also not knowing it was part of a series. I loved book 3, called Overal Vuur, with such a pretty cover too, and I liked other books by this author)

Gerard Tonen - Mijn Vader Is Een Sukkel (I don't know this author, I was attracted to it because it's part of a publishing series of which I've read other books.)

Tais Teng - Tovertaarten En Nachtgluiperds (I've read and liked several books by this author, and these next two were part of a publishing series)

Tais Teng - De Trap Naar de Nederzee (see above + I think I've read this one when I was a child)

Tais Teng - De Griezelklas 6: Zwartekattenkwaad (I'm pretty sure I read this when I was a child, it's about a cat and it's horror. This was a series too of which I've read several. I didn't own any of them. I've read various books by the author.)

Darren Shan - Demonata 2: Demonenjager (Demon Thief) (I haven't read any books by this author yet, though I own an omnibus, but the author has been recommended to me by several people)

Darren Shan - De Wereld van Darren Shan / Cirque du Freak 7: De Schemerjagers (Cirque du Freak 7: Hunters of the Dusk) (see above)

Darren Shan - De Wereld van Darren Shan / Cirque du Freak 8: Bondgenoten Van De Nacht (Cirque du Freak 8: Allies of the Night) (see above)

Darren Shan - De Wereld van Darren Shan / Cirque du Freak 11: Heer Van Het Duister (Cirque du Freak 11: Lord of the Shadows) (see above)

Stephenie Meyer - Twilight 1: Twilight (Dutch) (I own book 4, Breaking Dawn in English, but I didn't own the other three. Now I have book 1. I have already read all four of them, my sister owns them.)

Diana Gabaldon - Lord John Grey 1: Het Dubbelleven van Lord John (Lord John and the Private Matter) (I've heard this series is less good than the Outlander series, but at this price I couldn't help myself and I had to give the book a go).

Tess Gerritsen - 2× Tess Gerritsen: Hartslag & Diagnose Besmet - (Harvest & Life Support) (I haven't read any books by this author before, nor did I own any, but my family has recommended her books to me on several occasions, so I thought, why not).

Thomas Olde Heuvelt - PhantasAmnesia (I don't know this author nor the book, but it sounded good and I liked the cover)

Garth Nix - De Sleutels van het Koninkrijk 2: Grim Dinsdag (The Keys to the Kingdom 2: Grim Tuesday) (I own one other book by the author, there were three books in this series there so I thought why not. Also I liked the covers.)

Garth Nix - De Sleutels van het Koninkrijk 3: Vrouwe Woensdag (The Keys to the Kingdom 3: Drowned Wednesday) (see above)

Garth Nix - De Sleutels van het Koninkrijk 4: Heer Donderdag (The Keys to the Kingdom 4: Sir Thursday) (see above)

John Marco - Van Koningen en Tirannen 1: De Jakhals Van Nar (Tyrants and Kings 1: The Jackal of Nar) (there were three books in this series there, so I thought I'd give them a go)

John Marco - Van Koningen en Tirannen 2: Heer Van De Vallei (Tyrants and Kings 2: Master of the Valley) (see above)

John Marco - Van Koningen en Tirannen 3: Kind Van Het Duister (Tyrants and Kings 3: The Grand Design) (see above)

Sara Douglass - De Saga van Axis 1: De Reisgenoten Van Achar (The Axis Trilogy 1: Battleaxe) (I wanted book 3, but I thought, why not buy books 1 and 2 as well, even though I own those in English. It'll make it easier to read the series).

Sara Douglass - De Saga van Axis 2: De Zang van de Icarii (The Axis Trilogy 2: Enchanter) (see above).

Sara Douglass - De Saga Van Axis 3: De Sterrendans (The Axis Trilogy 3: Starman) (I didn't own this one yet, I own books 1 and 2 in English.)

Meredith Ann Pierce - De Vuurbrenger Trilogie 1: De Komst Van De Vuurbrenger (Firebringer 1: Birth of the Firebringer) (I don't know this author, but it was book 1).

Chris Wooding - De Wevers van Saramyr / Heksenmeester 3: Zusters Van Saramyr (The Braided Path 3: The Ascendency Veil) (I don't know this author, but the book sounded interesting to me. My sister told me she thinks she has book 1 in this series).

Steven Brust - Vlad Taltos 1: Huis Jhereg (Jhereg) (I don't know this author, but these were books 1 and 2 in the series so I thought I'd give them a go).

Steven Brust - Vlad Taltos 2: Huis Yendi (Yendi) (see above)

Jude Fisher - Het Goud der Dwazen 3: Roos Van De Wereld (Fool's Gold 3: The Rose of the World) (I liked the cover of this book)

W. J. Maryson - Meestermagiër 2: Het Tweede Zwaard: Emaendor (I own books 3 and 4 in this series, as well as a couple of other books by the author. This is a Dutch fantasy author (that's pretty rare), the books are hard to find because they are out of print I believe)

Neil Gaiman - Stardust (Dutch) (I really liked some of the other books by this author, this book has been recommended to me.)

George R.R. Martin and Lisa Tuttle - Windhaven (Dutch) (I didn't know this book existed, but I liked other books by George R. R. Martin)

Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman - Dragonlance: De Oorlog der Zielen 1: Draken Van Een Gevallen Zon (The War of Souls 1: Dragons of a Fallen Sun) (I've read and liked other books by the authors)

Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn / Heugenis, Smart en het Sterrenzwaard 2: De Steen Des Afscheids (Memory, Sorrow and Thorn 2: Stone of Farewell) (I love his Otherland series, and I have other books in this series on my shelf).

NewBooks_19-06-2015_resized_0.5.jpg

I have read the first four or five in the Tess Gerritsen's Rizzoli and Isles series and thoroughly enjoyed them but then they lost their way a bit, in my opinion anyway.

Those marshmallows look lovely, we call them Flumps in the UK! So naughty.. But nice! :D

Great book haul ! I`ve read one Tess Gerritsen ( and I like Rizzoli and Isles, the TV show from her books ) ; it was a real page-turner.  :smile:

Thanks, Sarah :)!

I have read the first four or five in the Tess Gerritsen's Rizzoli and Isles series and thoroughly enjoyed them but then they lost their way a bit, in my opinion anyway.

Those marshmallows look lovely, we call them Flumps in the UK! So naughty.. But nice! :D

Thanks, Hayley :)!

I shall have to remember the word Flumps :D!

John Flanagan - Broederband 2: De Indringers (Brotherband 2: The Invaders)

17284125.jpg

Genre: Fantasy, Historical Fiction

Pages: 443

Date read: 19-06-2015 <-> 22-06-2015

ISBN: 9789025751159

Synopsis: (no synopsis because the book is part of a series.)

My thoughts:

After reading the two Ranger's Apprentice books I had borrowed from the library, this book and books 3 and 4 in the series, were the last library loans to read. I've read the Ranger's Apprentice books (I've read 9 out of 12 of them) in English, but the library only had this series in Dutch. Book 1 wasn't available when I loaned books 2, 3 and 4. I thought it was too good an opportunity to miss, so I borrowed these three books. Book 1 was available at a later time, but by then I was already half way through book 2, so I didn't want to stop reading it then. I did borrow book 1 of course and plan to read it soon.

This book takes place in the same world as the Ranger's Apprentice books, though a different country has the focus. This series is about Skandia, not Araluen, though the main character is half Araluen. These books take place after the events of the first few Ranger's Apprentice books, so if you haven't read those, they contain a spoiler about one specific thing that happens in those books (particularly book 4 of the Ranger's Apprentice books). Two characters from the Ranger's Apprentice books make an appearance in this book, though they are side characters.

The book starts off with a couple of pages explaining nautical and sailing terms (in Dutch, since this is the Dutch translation). This was quite useful for me,as I'm not that familiar with most of these terms.

I was able to follow the book pretty well, even though I didn't read book 1 of this series (yet!). The amount of characters confused me a bit at first, as they are not gradually introduced (they are in book 1, I'm half way through that now so I can say that now in hindsight). After a while though I was able to remember the characters better and tell them apart. They are very interesting characters.

I really liked the writing style of this book. It is reminiscent of the writing style of the author's other series, the Ranger's Apprentice books. I wasn't sure beforehand if the Dutch translation would be good, because sometimes books are translated badly and that makes it difficult to read the book and much less enjoyable. But actually, this translation is very good and very readable.

I read the first ~40% of the book in one afternoon, but the last ~60% took me longer to read (I read the last third pretty quickly, but the middle took longer). I was tired and I did a lot of other things. A few times I didn't feel like reading the book. I felt the book dragged a bit in the middle and this made me feel less like reading the book.

I liked the descriptions in the book. As I said earlier, I'm not that familiar with nautical terms. It was nice to read how such ships work, and I thought the author wrote it down well, but I did realise that while I enjoyed this book, reading about so much ship stuff isn't quite for me.

I feel the book is more historical fiction in a fantasy world, than that is has a lot of fantastical elements. I kind of prefer books with fantasy elements over just historical ones, but okay :P.

I enjoyed the book for the most part. I found that once I'd read a few pages, I then really wanted to keep on reading (aside from the slower bit in the middle). But before each 'reading session', I didn't feel terribly compelled to read it during that slow middle bit. I read the first 40% in one reading session and that flowed well, but between ~40-60% the story just dragged a bit I felt. I was very tired too. But the last third was really suspenseful and I quite enjoyed that part of the story.

Overall then I enjoyed this book, but I didn't like it as much as the Ranger's Apprentice books. I really liked the writing style and the translation was very good. I also liked the characters. The middle of the book was a bit slow paced and the last third of the book was very suspenseful. I liked the story, but I do have to conclude that the whole nautical thing isn't entirely for me. It probably doesn't help that I know so little about it (other than what was in this book). I did really like some of the genius ideas in the book (but I won't say much more because of spoilers). I enjoyed the book for the most part and will continue with the series and read books 1, 3 and 4. I've borrowed them from the library. As I can only handle so much nautical stuff at the time though, I'm thinking of reading the one Ranger's Apprentice book I recently borrowed from the lirbary, in between these books, possibly after I read book 1 of the Brotherband or in Dutch Broederband series.

John Flanagan - Broederband 1: De Outsiders (Brotherband 1: The Outcasts)

15998484.jpg

Genre: Fantasy, Historical Fiction

Pages: 445

Date read: 22-06-2015 <-> 23-06-2015

ISBN: 9789025752194

Synopsis: (no synopsis because the book is part of a series.)

My thoughts:

I borrowed books 2, 3 and 4 in this series rom the library, after really enjoying the Ranger's Apprentice books by the same author (I've read most of those now). The library doesn't have the Brotherband series in English, so I borrowed the Dutch translations. I started to read book 2. When I was at the library more recently, I decided to have a quick look to see if they'd have book 1 in this series, and they did! So after finishing book 2 (I was already half way through it at the time so I didn't want to stop then), I then read book 1 in this series.

The book consists of 4 parts, not all of them have equal lengths. The first bits of the book take place some years before the rest of the story. There is some mention of certain events in the Ranger's Apprentice series, and Will (the main character of that series) is mentioned though not by name but by description. It is best to read this series after the first couple of Ranger's Apprentice books if you have an interest in both of them, because there is a spoiler in the books for some events of book 4 of the Ranger's Apprentice series.

This book was better than book 2, I enjoyed it a lot more. The pacing was better and the characters were more gradually introduced. It was nice to read the beginning of the story, some things in book 2 make more sense now (of course, this is partially my own fault for reading book 2 before reading book 1, as this series aren't standalone stories like the Ranger's Apprentice books).

I liked the characters and the writing style. The translation was very good. The story was suspenseful and I really liked some of the plot twists.

I wanted to keep on reading this book, and I finished it pretty quickly. I started reading it yesterday and finished it today.

Overall I enjoyed this book a lot more than book 2 in the series. This one was suspenseful and didn't drag as much as book 2. It was great to read what happened before the events in book 2. I know bits of what would happen but the how and why of it was a mystery to me, so book 1 was still pretty suspenseful for me. I have books 3 and 4 also borrowed from the library, I will be reading those soon (but perhaps I'll read the Ranger's Apprentice book that I've borrowed, first, to mix it up a bit). There is also a 5th book in this series, but the library doesn't own that one yet. I hope they will have it in the future.

Rating: (*****) (10/10)