What's Up in December? - 2014

Athena

I'm glad things went well on your trip :). Those photos are really nice, I look forward to see the other ones too.

Next week the government is going to change something or other about our street, so all week no traffic is allowed through our street other than cyclists and those of us living here. I hope it won't be too noisy :hide:. I'm not entirely sure what they plan on doing, it's something with grass and concrete but I didn't know the word that was in the letter we received.

Also, we have a date for the heater! Just before Christmas it will be installed, so hopefully on Christmas we'll be nice and warm (I can't feel my toes much at the moment..).

Today I've typed some more of my greatgrandfather's diary in a document on the computer and I've done some reading (and writing reviews). Tomorrow we plan to do a bit of food shopping and then hopefully rest a bit in the weekend. I'm still tired but I'm feeling better than a few days ago. Next week I'll have an appointment with the nurse, I'm hoping she'll give me some new medication and the articles she promised me (I hope they will be nice).

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations!!!! :yahoo: Great news for your Spring semester too :boogie:

I'm very happy for you :friends0:!! Well done :D!!

Fantastic news!  First you get the classes you want/need, then this ^^^^.  Very happy for you, Anna! :friends3:

Thanks girls- I am still on Cloud 9 about it.  We shall see once the Math class starts- eek!  This one is just a basic Algebra class, but ugh- I am terrible at Math- and I must get to statistics in order to transfer for University for my major :o

Congratulations, way to go! Do you now have some time off where you can maybe read a book or two. :)

Yes!  Notably, some science fiction!   I plan on reading a few before school starts again in January for Spring :xmassmile:

Thanks girls- I am still on Cloud 9 about it.  We shall see once the Math class starts- eek!  This one is just a basic Algebra class, but ugh- I am terrible at Math- and I must get to statistics in order to transfer for University for my major :o

Yes!  Notably, some science fiction!   I plan on reading a few before school starts again in January for Spring :xmassmile:

Good luck! I'll be happy to help you if you have any questions, I always had good grades for maths :blush2:. I hope you have fun with your science-fiction reads :xmassmile:!

Attached are a few photos on the return trip up the mountain. The snow had stopped but the ground and trees were covered. Trees were beautiful. The photos were taken out the window of the car while moving. I just pointed the camera and clicked. :)

Also attached are a few photos inside part of the greenhouse.  The Blue and Purple Poinsettia are "different" for lack of a better word. :)

Attached are a few photos on the return trip up the mountain. The snow had stopped but the ground and trees were covered. Trees were beautiful. The photos were taken out the window of the car while moving. I just pointed the camera and clicked. :)

Also attached are a few photos inside part of the greenhouse.  The Blue and Purple Poinsettia are "different" for lack of a better word. :)

Hope you had a good heater in your car Muggles! :cold:

The blue and purple poinsettias look almost unreal. What colours did you choose this year?

Is that a double poinsettia in the forefront of the first photo? The leaves look different, but it's very pretty if it is.

Edited by poppy

Those photos are beautiful! Thanks for sharing :).

I'm having a stress attack at the moment, I'm not entirely sure why. I hope it'll get better later on, otherwise I'll try and make lots of lists again, see if that helps.

Those photos are beautiful! Thanks for sharing :).

I'm having a stress attack at the moment, I'm not entirely sure why. I hope it'll get better later on, otherwise I'll try and make lots of lists again, see if that helps.

Sending :friends3:  :empathy:  :friends0: , oh!, and :JC_cookies:  :JC_cookies:

Sending :friends3:  :empathy:  :friends0: , oh!, and :JC_cookies:  :JC_cookies:

Awww, thanks Kate :friends3::friends0:! I'm okay when I'm distracted (for example by a good book) but otherwise am quite stressed. I'm not sure exactly what brought it on all of a sudden, I hope it will get better soon.

How exciting June! That sounds like a great decision. Keep us posted.

I have just emailed my application to the HR department with a copy to my own work email, so there is now no going back. I am nervous as hell, but know that I can do this, and that it is the right time - I am 50 next year, so it's now or never. I have my appraisal on Tuesday so I guess that will also mean telling my own boss, which he will no doubt be surprised about. Being so close to Christmas I may have to wait until afterwards for a response, but I guess that's par for the course.

Hope you had a good heater in your car Muggles! :cold:

The blue and purple poinsettias look almost unreal. What colours did you choose this year?

Is that a double poinsettia in the forefront of the first photo? The leaves look different, but it's very pretty if it is.

I am not sure what type of poinsettia is in the forefront. It was very different though and I didn't much care for it. :) I also didn't care for the blue poinsettia.

We bought 4 poinsettia this year. Two white and two red. One large white  "Glace" (the same as last year for dining room table) and a smaller "Glace" for the kitchen table. We also bought a large "Prestige Red" for the family room and a medium size "Early Prestige Red" for the entrance foyer. I may take a few photos later and post them. :) In the meantime they can be found in the Catalog but the colors don't "show" as good as they really look.

http://www.milmont.com/_ccLib/attachments/pages/2014+Milmont+Poinsettia+Catalog_retail.pdf

I also like the one called "Ice Punch" but my wife didn't care for it too much, maybe next year. :)

Edited by muggle not

I am not sure what type of poinsettia is in the forefront. It was very different though and I didn't much care for it. :) I also didn't care for the blue poinsettia.

We bought 4 poinsettia this year. Two white and two red. One large white  "Glace" (the same as last year for dining room table) and a smaller "Glace" for the kitchen table. We also bought a large "Prestige Red" for the family room and a medium size "Early Prestige Red" for the entrance foyer. I may take a few photos later and post them. :) In the meantime they can be found in the Catalog but the colors don't "show" as good as they really look.

http://www.milmont.com/_ccLib/attachments/pages/2014+Milmont+Poinsettia+Catalog_retail.pdf

I also like the one called "Ice Punch" but my wife didn't care for it too much, maybe next year. :)

The ones you've chosen are very pretty Muggle. The Glace one reminds me of a dogwood flower. I think I've found the one I was asking about ...Winter Rose Dark Red or Early Red. But who would have guessed there were so many varieties?

I have just emailed my application to the HR department with a copy to my own work email, so there is now no going back. I am nervous as hell, but know that I can do this, and that it is the right time - I am 50 next year, so it's now or never. I have my appraisal on Tuesday so I guess that will also mean telling my own boss, which he will no doubt be surprised about. Being so close to Christmas I may have to wait until afterwards for a response, but I guess that's par for the course.

Oh it's awful waiting to hear if you've got something you really want isn't it? I hope it all goes swiftly and smoothly for you. Keeping my fingers crossed.

The ones you've chosen are very pretty Muggle. The Glace one reminds me of a dogwood flower. I think I've found the one I was asking about ...Winter Rose Dark Red or Early Red. But who would have guessed there were so many varieties?

Yes, those ar the Poinsettias with the different type flowers. I kinda like the standard type better. :)

A couple photos attached. I still like the white Glace, my favorite white by far. The larger red is Prestige Red but the photo isn't real good as sunlight got the rear of the poinsettia. The Prestige Early Red is a medium size red that I really also like the color.

My sister in law had a heart attack last night and had to be taken into hospital. We didn't find out until this morning, so I had to rush home from work. It is hopefully though not as serious as it sounds. She texted us about half an hour ago to say that she was going in for an angiogram, which will hopefully tell them more about where the blockage is and how serious it is.

My sister in law had a heart attack last night and had to be taken into hospital. We didn't find out until this morning, so I had to rush home from work. It is hopefully though not as serious as it sounds. She texted us about half an hour ago to say that she was going in for an angiogram, which will hopefully tell them more about where the blockage is and how serious it is.

Wow, I hope it's not too serious and that she will make a full recovery :friends0:.

I hope so too. Apparently they did an Ultrasound first and the Angiogram will be later on. There is a risk though that is she has another heart attack during the test, that they may have to do an emergency bypass. It is then for the moment, a bit of a waiting game.   

It's my sister in law Kylie - Coran's sister. She is still in hospital. Coran spoke to her on the phone this morning and despite having very little sleep, she seemed in reasonable spirits. It seems though that as well as the heart problem,  she may have a blood clot on the lung, or possibly in the leg, which is not the best news. It seems likely then that she may be in for a while yet.

June, I'm sorry to hear of your SIL's serious problems. It's the waiting that is so difficult. I hope she improves on all fronts.

Muggle....do you ever plant the pointsettas in the yard later? My Mother did when I was a child, some actually grew to be huge...until a freeze finally took them. Being New Orleans, that didn't happen much. :)

June, I'm sorry to hear of your SIL's serious problems. It's the waiting that is so difficult. I hope she improves on all fronts.

She was discharged from hospital last night and is now home, thank goodness, which is a huge relief all round. They have confirmed that it was indeed a blood clot that travelled from the lung into the heart and caused the blockage in her artery. She was then by all accounts, extremely lucky as that can easily be fatal.  

I am finally ready for Christmas though I am pleased to say. We did the Christmas food shop first thing this morning (Sainsbury's was already busy at 8am this morning, so I dread to think what it will be like next week). Presents are all bought and cards all posted. After we did the shopping, Coran dropped me of at the sports centre up the road for a nice massage and dip in the hot pools (an early Christmas present to myself) which was thoroughly relaxing and very nice, so I am now feeling suitably pampered and relaxed. :smile:

Edited by Talisman

Muggle....do you ever plant the pointsettas in the yard later? My Mother did when I was a child, some actually grew to be huge...until a freeze finally took them. Being New Orleans, that didn't happen much. :)

No, it gets too cold in our neck of the woods to plant them outside. I would love to see them growing outside though as a huge poinsettia in a natural setting would be beautiful. They are such a nice looking plant and are a great plant for Christmas.

Just got all the presents wrapped- whew!   :guess:  I didn't know there were so many!  We have bought through out the year for my 6 year old to try and save money.  I put all the ones from me and her Oma under the tree and all the ones from Santa are hidden in the closet in special paper.  She is at Oma's house right now, so when she gets home and sees all her gifts from us, she will be so excited.  We will probably let her open some of ours on Christmas Eve (just small stuff from "us") and then on Christmas eve night, Santa will come to my house and all his gifts will be here for Christmas morning. 

The big gift is a doll she has been wanting forever.  American Girl is the company, on the East Coast, I believe.  They are handmade.  We had to save up along time, but FINALLY "Julie" was able to get a ticket on Santa's sleigh.  I even managed to get her and Julie a set of matching pajamas :grinhat: