Your Book Activity - December 2014

Athena

Started and finished The Misremembered Man (by Christina McKenna) yesterday, which gives an indication as to how good it was.

So, I've just looked on Amazon at the deals and so far have bought:

The Shock of the Fall - Nathan Flier

Burial Rites - Hannah Kent

The Secret Keeper - Kate Morton

Catastrophe: Europe Goes to War 1914 - Max Hastings

Eats, Shoots and Leaves - Lynne Truss (wanted this one for ages)

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves - Karen Joy Fowler

The 33 Strategies of War - Robert Greene

Doesn't do my TBR pile any good, but I'm happy with them nonetheless. :D

Nice haul! :D I have a feeling The Shock of the Fall will be really good. I really want to read it, too! I've also got Burial Rites on my TBR. That's a really nice, mixed bunch of new books!

Really happy you devoured The Misremembered Man! :D

I got home today after a week away to find a book from the Book Depository waiting for me (Christmas Day—perfect timing!) I had ordered it last week but never imagined it would get here before Christmas. Anyway, the book is Diaries and Selected Letters by Mikhail Bulgakov. The BD was selling it for over 50% off for a limited time, so I simply had to get it, you see!

I see, I see :yes::giggle2::D

Started The Book of Human Skin by Michelle Lovric, but I'm going to have to put it to one side and pick up something else. It's so difficult to follow largely due to the writing style (phoenetic rather than proper English), which is really disrupting the flow. :thud:

Oh dear :( I didn't know about this!

I had to put down Dolores's flying foot. I realized that there's no way I was going to be able to finish it in the days I'm in Nurmes, and I can't take the book with me as it's a library loan. So I made a reservation for the novel in my Espoo library, I'll borrow it from there and read it then.

I picked up an old re-read, one of the books I bought from the library's removed books section this week. It was a nice comfy read. I think I'm going to go with one of the Jacqueline Wilson books next, or a Morris Gleitzman :)

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought and started Hugh Howey's I, Zombie last night- a wonderful gift from my mom, thanks mom! 

I don't want to pass judgment on it quite so early.  I did try out the sample though and it stuck with me for a day or two, so I ended up getting it.  I need something... different right now.  Howey's my man, I think :)

Still have every intention on reading Attachments and Ender's Game after it, hopefully finishing them, with 88 for the year.  Too bad it can't be 90.  :shrug: No way can I finish 3 books and complete two others in 6 days.... hm....NO! :devcat:

Nice haul! :D I have a feeling The Shock of the Fall will be really good. I really want to read it, too! I've also got Burial Rites on my TBR. That's a really nice, mixed bunch of new books!

I'm sure I'll be adding to it, as there are Kindle Deals for the next 12 days. :thud:

Heard many good things about The Shock of the Fall, so hopefully I will get to it soon.

Really happy you devoured The Misremembered Man! :D

It was a very good read - took me most of yesterday to read it, but that's the sign of a good book! :D

I'm sure I'll be adding to it, as there are Kindle Deals for the next 12 days. :thud:

On the first day of Kindle my true love said to me.... 12 days of Kindle, will you ever survive it? :D

It was a very good read - took me most of yesterday to read it, but that's the sign of a good book! :D

Indeed! I love it when every now and then you come across a book that just takes you away and you are consumed by it and read it in one day :readingtwo:

I started reading a Finnish crime novel of sorts by Eila Palmgren.

Edited by frankie

I wish you lots of fun with your new books ;)! I loved The Shock of the Fall. I have The Secret Keeper on my TBR.

I got home today after a week away to find a book from the Book Depository waiting for me (Christmas Day—perfect timing!) I had ordered it last week but never imagined it would get here before Christmas. Anyway, the book is Diaries and Selected Letters by Mikhail Bulgakov. The BD was selling it for over 50% off for a limited time, so I simply had to get it, you see!

I hope you enjoy your new book :)!

I bought and started Hugh Howey's I, Zombie last night- a wonderful gift from my mom, thanks mom! 

I don't want to pass judgment on it quite so early.  I did try out the sample though and it stuck with me for a day or two, so I ended up getting it.  I need something... different right now.  Howey's my man, I think :)

Still have every intention on reading Attachments and Ender's Game after it, hopefully finishing them, with 88 for the year.  Too bad it can't be 90.  :shrug: No way can I finish 3 books and complete two others in 6 days.... hm....NO! :devcat:

I hope you enjoy all three books :)! Even if you don't finish them in 2014. 88 is still pretty good!

I've started to read Rachel Cohn and David Levithan - Dash & Lily's Book of Dares, a young-adult novel that takes place in New York around Christmas time. So far it's good, and I'm liking the mention of books and I loved the scenes in the book shop (the first few scenes of the book).

Nice book haul!   :smile: The Shock of the Fall is excellent!

I was tempted by the Daily Deals yesterday and bought Veronica Roth's Divergent and Jonas Jonasson's The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden.

I've read 13% so far of The Shell Collector (excellent :smile: ) and now enjoying Margaret Atwood's Lady Oracle too.

On the first day of Kindle my true love said to me.... 12 days of Kindle, will you ever survive it? :D

Unlikely! :D  I made a few more purchases today:

Requiem for a Dream - Hubert Selby Jnr

Introducing Quantum Theory: A Graphic Guide - JP McEvoy, Oscar Zarate

Robopocalypse - Daniel H Wilson

A Prisoner of Birth - Jeffrey Archer

I wish you lots of fun with your new books ;)! I loved The Shock of the Fall. I have The Secret Keeper on my TBR.

I keep hearing so many positive comments about The Shock of the Fall. I shall have to get to it soon. :smile:

Another positive comment! I might make it my next read. :smile:

For some reason, I just can't get anything going at the moment.  I think Christmas has killed off my motivation. 

I was tempted by the Daily Deals yesterday and bought Veronica Roth's Divergent and Jonas Jonasson's The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden.

I've read 13% so far of The Shell Collector (excellent :smile: ) and now enjoying Margaret Atwood's Lady Oracle too.

Wow- we have a lot of books in common!  I hope you like Divergent, don't be surprised if you find yourself zipping through the other two.  I also hope to get to The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden, after loving The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed out the Window and Disappeared.  Glad you are liking The Shell Collector, it only gets better :)

Edited by Anna Begins

On a slightly related note, I finished reading Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen yesterday. Kaysen and Plath both stayed at the same mental hospital (but at different times).

I never realised that Girl, Interrupted was a book before I became a movie. I knew very little about Plath before reading the book and now I've finished it, I have to admit that it has moved me somewhat. I don't think I've had an emotional reaction like this to a book since I read Alone in Berlin.

I had a look at the Kindle sale, but as tends to happen, I have read most of the interesting books already. My reading has taken a bit of a dive these past few days, because while I am off work it makes sense to concentrate on the writing instead. It will be difficult to find the time after I go back to work. I have been reading stuff, but not just in book form - various articles on the Internet about strange shaped skulls and the various cultures that practised this sort of thing - all fascinating stuff. At least one book on this subject has been added to my wish list for purchase later on. 

I had a look at the Kindle sale, but as tends to happen, I have read most of the interesting books already.

Same here, but picked up one or two non-fiction copies of books where I've got the hardback - I like to read and keep the hardback at home, so it's good to have a Kindle version for when I'm commuting/travelling; normally I can't afford to do both, so when there's a Kindle sale, I can top up on a few:

Catastrophe - Max Hastings

The Hollow Crown - Dan Jones

Commander - Stephen Taylor

Also bought one fiction, as have enjoyed a couple of her others:

The Silent Tide - Rachel Hore

I hope you enjoy both of your new books! I loved the Divergent books and I have The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden on my TBR. I'm glad you're enjoying The Shell Collector. It's on my wishlist, I might have to get it in the New Year :).

I hope you also enjoy these new books :D

I haven't read anything for days, but I got lots of beautiful new books for Christmas yesterday, so I've just spent the afternoon cataloguing them in my database. :D

Well that can be nice too sometimes :). Though I hope you get more into reading soon and that you read a great book :).

Catastrophe - Max Hastings

The Hollow Crown - Dan Jones

Commander - Stephen Taylor

Also bought one fiction, as have enjoyed a couple of her others:

The Silent Tide - Rachel Hore[/font]

I hope you enjoy all your new books!

Like others, I haven't been reading as much. I'm almost half way in Rachel Cohn and David Levithan - Dash & Lily's Book of Dares. I also bought a magazine today in the supermarket, and quite a few books in the library sale (yet to be sorted out) though I managed to almost stick to the budget :).

Started and finished The Misremembered Man (by Christina McKenna) yesterday, which gives an indication as to how good it was.

Certainly happy huntings there! Nicely done, bobblybear. :)  I found Burial Rites a wonderful read; it had been on my TBR list for quite some time and I finally got around to reading it earlier this year.

I'm still reading The Narrative of John Smith...about halfway through. I'm enjoying seeing the thought process behind Sir Arthur Conan Doyle writing, but what was essentially an unfinished manuscript feels disjointed and unpolished.

I've also started reading a book I was given as a gift for Christmas, The Soul of Mary Olivane by Hebe Elsna. I had been wanting this book since it was referenced in a conversation I had with a group of people about if our lives were different than how they turned out to be and making the most of what you have. As the book was published in 1949 it is not easy task to find a copy of the book in good condition, but now I have one! :D

I hope you also enjoy these new books :D!

Thanks, I'm sure I will! :D

Certainly happy huntings there! Nicely done, bobblybear. :)  I found Burial Rites a wonderful read; it had been on my TBR list for quite some time and I finally got around to reading it earlier this year.

Thanks - I'm quite happy with my haul. :D  Burial Rites sounded interesting. I hadn't heard of it before but it caught my eye straightway.

I've started reading Wuthering Heights, which has been on my TBR pile for a long time. Good so far!

Wow- we have a lot of books in common!  I hope you like Divergent, don't be surprised if you find yourself zipping through the other two.  I also hope to get to The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden, after loving The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed out the Window and Disappeared.  Glad you are liking The Shell Collector, it only gets better :)

I have never read any of Jonas Jonasson's book so far, but The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed out the Window and Disappeared is also on my priority TBR list now :smile:  :readingtwo: .

I have never read any of Jonas Jonasson's book so far, but The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed out the Window and Disappeared is also on my priority TBR list now :smile:  :readingtwo: .

It was a tie with The Humans for me on the BCF Awards thread :smile: It was also my best book of the year til viciously unseated by An Abundance of Katherines a week or so ago.  :giggle2:

I finished Ender's Game (Thank you for the Christmas present, Gaia!) and am now moving on to Hugh Howey's I, Zombie.  This should take me to the 30th or 31st at the latest, so it might be my last book of the year :readingtwo:

Unlikely!  I made a few more purchases today:

:lol: I bet you will end up with at least 50 new Kindle books by the end of the 12 day period :giggle2:

I haven't read anything for days, but I got lots of beautiful new books for Christmas yesterday, so I've just spent the afternoon cataloguing them in my database. 

That's the best kind of book activity, besides reading, obviously :smile2:

For some reason, I just can't get anything going at the moment.  I think Christmas has killed off my motivation. 

Any improvement now that we're past the holidays? I hope your mojo picks up its pace soon!

I never realised that Girl, Interrupted was a book before I became a movie. I knew very little about Plath before reading the book and now I've finished it, I have to admit that it has moved me somewhat. I don't think I've had an emotional reaction like this to a book since I read Alone in Berlin.

So how are you enjoying your life as a movie? 

:giggle2:I'm so sorry, I couldn't resist :rolleyes::D

I started The Shadow of the Wind, though I've not made much progress yet. Also bought a couple of books through the 12 Days of Kindle. 

That's one great novel, one of my top 10 books ever. I wish you enjoy it to the max! :smile2:

I finally finished The World without Us by Alan Weisman. Terrific book.

I really want to read this, I've borrowed the book twice already this fall but there've been other books in the way. Very glad to hear you enjoyed it! :)

I can't remember which book I posted about last time, but I started and finished The Story of Tracy Beaker yesterday on the train. I then started a Finnish novel by an author I've never even heard of. I'm really enjoying it, and coincidentally the protagonist lives in Espoo and is from north Karelia just like me :smile2: