What's up in August? - 2014

Athena

I've been skimming this text book for my class and it is SO simple!  I dunno what I'm going to do.  I have to take the class now, but maybe I'm just psyching myself out.  I mean, page 440 is about pronouns- who/ whom, etc.  Great.  I think I learned that in 2nd grade.

And the book itself is constructed so so poorly.  I ended up getting 3 ring binder things so it is put together now, but it just flops around the rings and one of the holes in the cover for the rings tore, so now the corner is ripped. 

Again, maybe I'm just getting apprehensive, but I'm really unhappy so far and the class hasn't even started yet.  At least I can console myself thinking, at least my writing will get better.

Tomorrow is the open house for Kindergarten.  Last night, she was so excited, she could hardly sleep.  It's all she is talking about.  Me on the other hand, different story.  :wacko:

Two days til school. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been skimming this text book for my class and it is SO simple!  I dunno what I'm going to do.  I have to take the class now, but maybe I'm just psyching myself out.  I mean, page 440 is about pronouns- who/ whom, etc.  Great.  I think I learned that in 2nd grade.

And the book itself is constructed so so poorly.  I ended up getting 3 ring binder things so it is put together now, but it just flops around the rings and one of the holes in the cover for the rings tore, so now the corner is ripped. 

Again, maybe I'm just getting apprehensive, but I'm really unhappy so far and the class hasn't even started yet.  At least I can console myself thinking, at least my writing will get better.

Tomorrow is the open house for Kindergarten.  Last night, she was so excited, she could hardly sleep.  It's all she is talking about.  Me on the other hand, different story.  :wacko:

Two days til school.

Oh dear. I do hope the class will be nice and educational :friends0:. I hope your daughter enjoys Kintergarten too.

Is it normal in your state that schools start in the middle of the week? Most schools here start on Monday (as far as I remember). Of course if you're following the one course (a pun :doh:) at a university or college then it depends which day(s) it's given on. Just wondering what it's like over there :).

The past few days my boyfriend and I have started to do a puzzle (with 500 pieces). According to my mum I used to be really good at puzzles when I was a child, but for some reason I feel like I'm not progressing that fast with this one. I should say I haven't made a puzzle since I was a child (so a good 20+ years ago), but still :shrug:. I feel like I'm capable of more but my ADD and HFA get in the way, it's frustrating :banghead:.

I'm busy cataloguing video games and after that it's on to the movies and TV shows (and a few documentaries). I still have to fix all the information when incorrectsuch as genre, and whether we've played the game and what we thought etc., but the basics are coming together nicely.

Oh dear. I do hope the class will be nice and educational :friends0:. I hope your daughter enjoys Kintergarten too.

Is it normal in your state that schools start in the middle of the week? Most schools here start on Monday (as far as I remember). Of course if you're following the one course (a pun :doh:) at a university or college then it depends which day(s) it's given on. Just wondering what it's like over there :).

It is odd to be starting school on a Wednesday.  The good thing for me is, I only go Monday, Wednesday and Fridays so I will only have two classes and then the weekend.  And I'm sure tomorrow will be more introduction than instruction.  And then there is Labor Day, a 3 day holiday, the last weekend of the month.  And yes, we go on semesters too (to answer from another thread).  The school year is- Winter, spring, summer semesters.  They last about 4 months, but most are only 3 times a week.  Mine ends in December, a week or two before Christmas holidays.  Summer semesters aren't taken a lot and most classes aren't offered in the summer.  It is a shorter semester too, with classes all week long... so even though more intense, at least you have some summer.

Tomorrow is the big day!

Good luck tomorrow!!

The farmer next door and people across the street woke me up early this morning :banghead:. I'm not amused.

For those who didn't see it yet on Facebook, we finished the puzzle :exc:!

Yesterday I cooked some pasta, this was the first time I cooked on our gas cooker (the past week my boyfriend has been cooking). I normally take care of the vegetables and the table and there isn't enough space for two people to stand in front of the cooker. Anyway, I made some pasta salad which was quite nice.

Good luck tomorrow!!

The farmer next door and people across the street woke me up early this morning :banghead:. I'm not amused.

For those who didn't see it yet on Facebook, we finished the puzzle :exc:!

Yesterday I cooked some pasta, this was the first time I cooked on our gas cooker (the past week my boyfriend has been cooking). I normally take care of the vegetables and the table and there isn't enough space for two people to stand in front of the cooker. Anyway, I made some pasta salad which was quite nice.

I love pasta salad- what did you put into it?  I also hate when being woke up- especially by the gardeners- they use leaf blowers, major noise pollution!

Thanks for the good luck, I'll need it!  My anxiety level is ok right now, but it is several hours til I go myself.  Peri started early this morning, my mom walked her to her class while I circled the madness in the parking lot.  She got kind of scared when my mom left her, I guess she started trembling for a bit and claimed she was cold- uh huh.  So they walked to her desk and her desk is next to the teacher.  The walls are filled with the alphabet, cards with key sounds on them (like sh, th, etc) and a big colorful numbers poster with butterflies.

Well, for me, the class went fine.  The teacher is on the young side, probably in his mid to late 40's.  I think the class will be easy, but will improve my writing greatly (I hope).  We will focus on theses, statements, opening sentences and paragraph structure.  The class also includes a mandatory "lab" which basically is just more work in a separate class type setting.  So my Monday, Wednesday, Friday hour class (13:00-14:00) is now in addition to Monday, Wednesday, Friday 2 hour class!  Great, two classes.  That starts October 8th.  But its all for the good, I suppose. 

We won't be reading any fiction :cry: but mostly non fiction essays that present an argument. 

He did, however, point out the next class (English 1) includes lots of fiction and non and then after that, all fiction English classes.  I just said "I know" with a big smile.  :readingtwo: Can't wait!

I love pasta salad- what did you put into it?  I also hate when being woke up- especially by the gardeners- they use leaf blowers, major noise pollution!

Thanks for the good luck, I'll need it!  My anxiety level is ok right now, but it is several hours til I go myself.  Peri started early this morning, my mom walked her to her class while I circled the madness in the parking lot.  She got kind of scared when my mom left her, I guess she started trembling for a bit and claimed she was cold- uh huh.  So they walked to her desk and her desk is next to the teacher.  The walls are filled with the alphabet, cards with key sounds on them (like sh, th, etc) and a big colorful numbers poster with butterflies.

I used pasta (I can't remember the exact name of it), mozzerella, some lettuce, oil, herbs, salt, pepper, pepperocino (spicy) and red pesto. I also like little tomatoes in it but my boyfriend doesn't so I left them out for him. Instead I added a sweet red pepper (we call it 'paprika'), not to be confused with the spicy peppers. 

That sounds terrible too! They were at it all day yesterday, even in the evening.

I hope Peri will be allright, did she enjoy her time at school?

Well, for me, the class went fine.  The teacher is on the young side, probably in his mid to late 40's.  I think the class will be easy, but will improve my writing greatly (I hope).  We will focus on theses, statements, opening sentences and paragraph structure.  The class also includes a mandatory "lab" which basically is just more work in a separate class type setting.  So my Monday, Wednesday, Friday hour class (13:00-14:00) is now in addition to Monday, Wednesday, Friday 2 hour class!  Great, two classes.  That starts October 8th.  But its all for the good, I suppose. 

We won't be reading any fiction :cry: but mostly non fiction essays that present an argument. 

He did, however, point out the next class (English 1) includes lots of fiction and non and then after that, all fiction English classes.  I just said "I know" with a big smile.  :readingtwo: Can't wait!

I'm glad to hear your class went well :). It's a shame you won't be reading any fiction though, but I guess there are the other classes if you are interested. Good luck with the class :)! With the "lab", do you mean you have to do exercises and such?

I hope Peri will be allright, did she enjoy her time at school?

I'm glad to hear your class went well :). It's a shame you won't be reading any fiction though, but I guess there are the other classes if you are interested. Good luck with the class :)! With the "lab", do you mean you have to do exercises and such?

The lab is mostly reading and writing exercises- reading essay's and then writing an argument or response.  We also train for finals, which is a short read, with a 2 hour max response! 

Peri did great and passed out cold 5pm and then at 10pm (17:00 and 22:00), instead of her normal MIDNIGHT!  But, we've banned the tablet in bed now too.

Your salad sounds good!  I use pesto too, but green.  The spiral kind of pasta and I love little tomatoes in mine too!

The lab is mostly reading and writing exercises- reading essay's and then writing an argument or response.  We also train for finals, which is a short read, with a 2 hour max response! 

Peri did great and passed out cold 5pm and then at 10pm (17:00 and 22:00), instead of her normal MIDNIGHT!  But, we've banned the tablet in bed now too.

Your salad sounds good!  I use pesto too, but green.  The spiral kind of pasta and I love little tomatoes in mine too!

That makes sense. I'm glad to read Peri did great, she must have been very tired. Yes, I used the spiral kind! Green pesto can be nice too in my opinion, I just prefer red for some reason.

So this class, I'm reading my text for tomorrow's class (let me just say, a 20 page chapter takes much longer than I possibly imagined).  And I already write the way they want us to, it's just teaching me why.  It's strange, especially when I look at my reviews from the last few books.  They have all the stuff the book is teaching us- theme, opening statement, conclusion, etc.  I guess, over 20 years, I just forgot why I write the way I do.  I wonder if I'm in the right class.  :shrug:

So this class, I'm reading my text for tomorrow's class (let me just say, a 20 page chapter takes much longer than I possibly imagined).  And I already write the way they want us to, it's just teaching me why.  It's strange, especially when I look at my reviews from the last few books.  They have all the stuff the book is teaching us- theme, opening statement, conclusion, etc.  I guess, over 20 years, I just forgot why I write the way I do.  I wonder if I'm in the right class.  :shrug:

You should probably be teaching it. :)

On anther subject :)........tomorrow evening we are having a "young" neighbor couple over for wine and cheese. I will open a bottle of the 2001 La Rioja Alta Gran Reserve 904. It will also be my first tasting of this specific wine which is rated 96 by Robert Parker.

You should probably be teaching it. :)

On anther subject :)........tomorrow evening we are having a "young" neighbor couple over for wine and cheese. I will open a bottle of the 2001 La Rioja Alta Gran Reserve 904. It will also be my first tasting of this specific wine which is rated 96 by Robert Parker.

Aw!  Thanks!  I googled your wine :smile: is it from Spain?

That's pretty good of you! But maybe the class is too easy..?

It looks like one of our zijdehoender hens has died :(. I'll have another look later when it's less dark but I fear the worst (she wasn't doing well yesterday). I have no idea what is/was wrong with her, though. She was fine two days ago. We also likely lost Beaky, the tame hen with the beak that made it hard for her to eat.

I'm still stressed and tense (heart palpitations) but am entirely unsure if it's from the medication or whether I'm stressed from now living in the bakery etc. When I'm distracted it doesn't matter as much because I don't feel it as much.

I've been busy cataloguing our video games and DVDs/Blu-rays, which has been fun (the basic information is in there but a lot of details need to be edited and added). I've been reading now and then as well which has been nice (I should read more..).

Edited by Athena

Aw!  Thanks!  I googled your wine :smile: is it from Spain?

Yes, it is from Spain. I have a few bottles of the same wine from the 1998 vintage and it is excellent but all sold out now. I also have a few bottles of the 2001 La Rioja Alta Vina Ardanza Reserva Especial. It is labeled "Especial" when the wine is outstanding. It has only been labeled "Especial" 3 times in the last Century. Oh, how I enjoy a good bottle of wine. :)

Yes, it is from Spain. I have a few bottles of the same wine from the 1998 vintage and it is excellent but all sold out now. I also have a few bottles of the 2001 La Rioja Alta Vina Ardanza Reserva Especial. It is labeled "Especial" when the wine is outstanding. It has only been labeled "Especial" 3 times in the last Century. Oh, how I enjoy a good bottle of wine. :)

I love good wine!  I especially like Tempranillo grapes.  I live in Napa :smile: I don't drink much now, but I have to have a glass a few with a steak or Italian food!

We normally only  drink wine with meals except like on occasions when we have visitors and open a bottle. I really enjoy a good wine with a nice dinner. It enhances the meal. :)

Tomorrow we are driving up into Virginia to our favorite orchard. We are going to buy a half bushel of peaches and a half bushel of Honeycrisp apples. I also talked to a woman in their wholesale nursery and she is going to reserve some Summer Phlox for me that they have on sale. We are looking forward to the trip.

Edited by muggle not

Well I for one am thoroughly glad that that week is finally over ! It has been a rather strange one in many ways, but I take solace in the fact that this time next week I will be a married woman on her honeymoon. There have been a few incidents with other staff at work lately accusing me of various things and being generally unpleasant which they unfortunately reported to my Manager, and of course he had to talk to me. Thankfully he saw through the individuals who are the cause of the problem, as they both have form, but because I was so upset and because of the nature of the complaint (I was shouted at by one of these people in front of clients, who are sensitive and vulnerable people) he has reported it to HR. I now then have to wait to see if they approach me to find out what happened. Unfortunately the person who did, who is the Deputy of the onsite care home and so should have known better, has had a car accident and will be off work for a month with cracked ribs.   

It has not then been an easy week with all this going on, as it does go through your mind, particularly given the history of my last 2 jobs, which my Manager does know about. BUT on the flip side, I am looking forward to the wedding next week, and of course the honeymoon and some much deserved time off. Coran and I are going shopping into Guildford later on today for some last minute bits and bobs and hopefully a nice lunch in our favourite vegetarian restaurant. We had a cheque from my soon to be mother in law earlier in the week for £1000 which can't be bad either as wedding presents go.     

Well, 3 days at school and my little girl is already sick :unsure: She had a sore throat Thursday and yesterday, a pounding migraine and a fever last night.  Great.  Even though I hate them, I might end up getting a flu shot this year.  I only have 3 absences allowed in my class, before my grade drops- I do not need to get sick.  Especially in August- I mean, ALREADY??? 

On my school side, I just wrote my first paragraph (lol but not really), due the 22nd.  I mean, honestly, how long can it take to bang out a paragraph? We had 3 sentences to pick from, to be our "main topic sentence" (Good lord), I chose "The place I'm most at home is_________".  I wrote it about my mother's house, then read it to her and made her cry!  Oops :smile:   We have to do peer review and do TWO (I mean, seriously) drafts, so I left some errors in and some things I wanted to change.  I even did the stupid outline and topic brainstorming they want us to do.  Ugh- what a lot of extra work! 

But I did enjoy some of the things we got to read in class yesterday and I really can't complain if the writing is easy, I'm sure it will get tougher in the months to come.  My first "journal" assignment (roll eyes) is on the media and it's role in human suffering, do they show too much, etc.  I'm still mulling that one over in my head before I write it.  I worked in news radio for 13 years so I don't know if I want to use that perspective or just ignore it and write from a viewers standpoint.

Edited by Anna Begins

Well, 3 days at school and my little girl is already sick :unsure: She had a sore throat Thursday and yesterday, a pounding migraine and a fever last night.  Great.  Even though I hate them, I might end up getting a flu shot this year.  I only have 3 absences allowed in my class, before my grade drops- I do not need to get sick.  Especially in August- I mean, ALREADY??? 

On my school side, I just wrote my first paragraph (lol but not really), due the 22nd.  I mean, honestly, how long can it take to bang out a paragraph? We had 3 sentences to pick from, to be our "main topic sentence" (Good lord), I chose "The place I'm most at home is_________".  I wrote it about my mother's house, then read it to her and made her cry!  Oops :smile:   We have to do peer review and do TWO (I mean, seriously) drafts, so I left some errors in and some things I wanted to change.  I even did the stupid outline and topic brainstorming they want us to do.  Ugh- what a lot of extra work! 

But I did enjoy some of the things we got to read in class yesterday and I really can't complain if the writing is easy, I'm sure it will get tougher in the months to come.  My first "journal" assignment (roll eyes) is on the media and it's role in human suffering, do they show too much, etc.  I'm still mulling that one over in my head before I write it.  I worked in news radio for 13 years so I don't know if I want to use that perspective or just ignore it and write from a viewers standpoint.

Awww, your poor girl :(. I hope she feels better soon, and that you don't get ill (flu shot might be wise).

I'm glad your school work is going well, though it's a shame it's quite easy. Things will probably get more difficult later on in the year, I think so at least.

Today should be a relatively relaxing day (not much I have to do other than household chores), tomorrow I have a phone call with the psychiatrist and we're also going out shopping to get some kitchen supplies and food.

June, so sorry you're enduring such nonsense from the workplace....people can be so bloody petty.  grrrrr  But very happy for your wedding next week, sending the best of wishes to both of you.  Great MIL! :D

Anna, Poor kid!  Yikes, what an introduction to school.  :(   I expect your course work will become more difficult as the course progresses.  Even if not, practice looking at something from another viewpoint cannot be a bad thing.  Perspective and all that. :)

Gaia, /sigh/  sorry about your little hen.  It's such a helpless feeling to see them like that.  Glad your phone talks are going to be accomplished.  Great news. :)

Also, shopping..........Yays for shopping!  Always a fun, therapeutic activity.  /evil grin/  

muggle, the peaches sound lovely! 

I like wine also, but almost any red wine gives me a terrible headache.....even if I take precautions.  :(  Even some whites. 

Anna, Poor kid!  Yikes, what an introduction to school.  :(   I expect your course work will become more difficult as the course progresses.  Even if not, practice looking at something from another viewpoint cannot be a bad thing.  Perspective and all that. :)

I like wine also, but almost any red wine gives me a terrible headache.....even if I take precautions.  :(  Even some whites. 

Yes, I have been trying that.  Also with a critical or argument point of view, which I usually shy away from.  Although for assignments, write now they iust want simple paragraphs.

I've been told by wine makers that headaches and slight rashes during or after drinking wine is caused by sulfites in the wine.

June, so sorry you're enduring such nonsense from the workplace....people can be so bloody petty.  grrrrr  But very happy for your wedding next week, sending the best of wishes to both of you.  Great MIL! :D

I am sure it will all blow over - these things usually do, and at the moment I have bigger fish to fry anyway.  Five days to go. :smile:

Edited by Talisman

The peaches are really nice. We bought a half bushel of traditional yellow (Blake) and a 1/2 peck of White Sugar Giant. We also bought a peck of Honeycrisp apples.

Really sorry to hear that wine gives you a headache. There are many people that suffer headaches from red wine. I am so glad that I have no problem with wine as I enjoy good wine very much with my dinners.

I will take a photo of the Summer Phlox that we bought and post it.

OK, I took the picture. I like their colors as I will plant them in with my others that are pink/purple and white.

Edited by muggle not

Two days then to go until I am finally a married woman - I finish work at 12.30 tomorrow lunchtime, and certainly won't be sorry. It has been a really strange week all told with everyone very subdued still about the death of one of our clients almost 2 weeks ago - it really knocked everyone for six as it was so unexpected, and she had been in the home for most of her life - an incredible 68 years. Had she been born into a different generation, she would probably never have been institutionalised but led a normal life in the community. 

Today though was the funeral which a large proportion of staff and clients attended. The coffin came past the home and into the car park so that the remaining staff and clients (with me among them) could pay their respects. Afterwards the family came back to the house for a wake which was nice. She had an awful lot of friends all over the world, and I am told that the church was packed. Hopefully though now that the funeral is over the energy will start to lift a bit and things can get back to whatever normal is.

After work tonight my lovely boss took me and the rest of the maintenance team out for a drink to celebrate the impending nuptials. That was an interesting experience, sitting in the pub with 6 men ! It was very kind of him though and not something he had to do. I will though be glad to finish work tomorrow lunchtime and even gladder when the whole thing is over and done with !