HP and the Deathly Hallows by J K Rowling

Michelle

Thanks Michelle! Could you point me to that article. I scanned through and can't pinpoint it.

:thud: I didn't include the link to the article!

It's here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19959323/

[Edit: Actually, the link was in the text. After an upgrade to the software yesterday, the links are hard to see again. Sigh.. I'd best see if I can fix that..]

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so glad you're enjoying the series Fireball! I kind of wish I'd waited until they were all out before I read them - then I wouldn't have had the excruciating wait between books! And they're only going to get better from where you're at now! I hope you can avoid all the spoilers until you finish - have fun! :thud:

Hi everybody, I'm new. I finished Harry Potter the weekend it came out, and I'm still thinking about it. It's terrible that there won't be any more books about Harry (except the encyclopedia) although endless sequels aren't usually a good thing for an author, so it's probably just as well. But did anyone else wonder -- if Harry can talk to Dumbledore's portrait, and certain wizards in portraits can travel from one to another and communicate/spy, why can't Harry talk to pictures of his parents? And I thought it was really a shame about Tonks and Remus. I was just starting to really care about them, and then they were gone, as practically a footnote. And I wonder too what happened to the other Weasley twin. And Dudley Dursley. Did he turn out to be a decent human being after all?

Hi everybody, I'm new. I finished Harry Potter the weekend it came out, and I'm still thinking about it. It's terrible that there won't be any more books about Harry (except the encyclopedia) although endless sequels aren't usually a good thing for an author, so it's probably just as well. But did anyone else wonder -- if Harry can talk to Dumbledore's portrait, and certain wizards in portraits can travel from one to another and communicate/spy, why can't Harry talk to pictures of his parents? And I thought it was really a shame about Tonks and Remus. I was just starting to really care about them, and then they were gone, as practically a footnote. And I wonder too what happened to the other Weasley twin. And Dudley Dursley. Did he turn out to be a decent human being after all?

Hi Annie and welcome! Feel free to post a message over on this thread to introduce yourself.

I thought the Deathly Hallows was an excellent finish to the series. It's just a guess, but I think that the portraits in Hogwarts and other places must be bewitched in a special way so they can talk. I'm sure there's a passage in one of the books (probably the 5th or 6th) where Dumbledore explains to Harry that someone can only leave their portrait if they have another one to go to. Then again, maybe it's a gaping plot hole!

I agree about Tonks and Lupin; I think they deserved much more than that. I think your other questions will probably be answered in the encyclopedia, but in the meantime I would like to think that George would have continued on with the joke shop and perhaps Dudley and Harry would have kept in touch - not as best mates, but at least sent Christmas cards to each other or something! Maybe what we saw of him in this book was the start of him growing up and becoming a better person.

Hi Annie, and welcome to the forum.

But did anyone else wonder -- if Harry can talk to Dumbledore's portrait, and certain wizards in portraits can travel from one to another and communicate/spy, why can't Harry talk to pictures of his parents?

I think the glitch there can be resolved in that it's a portrait of Dumbledore, whereas the picture of Harry's parents is a photograph. Although the wizarding photographs can move, I don't remember any of the subjects actually leaving their pictures, nor do I remember them having sounds, whereas the portraits have both abilities.

And I was also very upset about Lupin and Tonks just dying off-screen. They deserved a bit about whatever battle they were fighting when they fell. :D

Ok, I finally finished it! Seemed like it took forever, and I have to say I really liked how she did it. Even that Draco was saved a couple of times so that we had to build sympathy for "bad" guy. Do you think the moral is that there's more than meets the eye and don't always make assumptions? We found out so much about Dumbledore! And the sneaky bit with his brother...thought that was brilliant, too.

As for the latest film, as a film it is quite good, but as an adaptation of the book, it is horrendous. :D There is so much important stuff missed out. That director is a :D useless idiot.

I've not seen the most recent film, but I was really disappointed with Goblet of Fire.

I really enjoyed the first couple of films, but I think they've lost the plot since then. I'm not going to see the new one at the cinema, and I'm not sure I'm going to buy the DVD when it comes out. I'll watch it and see what I think.

For me the more recent films have had to cut stuff out because the books are so long and I did feel that the first two ploughed through chapter by chapter, I loved the most recent it was my favourite and because it missed bits out the film was better. They don't need to explain stuff as much because we all know things like what a dementor is etc.... Much of JK's writing is description and I thought they had bits like the Ministry of Magic spot on. Although I liked some of the bits in the book which they missed out I thought they managed to get the points of those bits in and not spoil the story (not being specific because I don't want to spoil it)

The final book was a joy! I loved it! All of my theories that I've been storing up have either been blown out of the water (in some really clever and devious way) or have reached fulfillment much to my excitement! I'm soooo happy that Snape was good! I always knew he was, and that he and Dumbledore arranged his death (but to my disappointment it wasnt a fake death like I imagined!!).

...oooo my aunties pop round...

This is my favourite out of all HPs. It only took me 2 days of sleepless nights to read, I couldn't put it down. It's so action packed and full of surprises. I was also hoping Dumbledore's death was a fake, but it was explained well enough in the end. It's so sad that Fred, Lupin & Tonks had to die, but I guess there had to be some sacrifices made, otherwise it would've seemed too easy to beat Voldemort. I loved it that Mrs. Weasley showed some 'Mum Power' in the end, Bellatrix was so nasty.

:readingtwo:Ratna

I absolutely loved it!!! I finished it in two days (the only good thing with being off work was all the reading I managed to do)!

I thought Snape was going against Voldemort and Dumbledore had asked him to kill him but I couldn't work out why.

I had hoped that Sirius would be able to come back and hadn't really died.

Loved the epilogue and knowing what happened to most of the characters.

Quite sad that it was the last book in the series but will have to look forward to the films now!

I finally got to the posting! Great book..

I half expected it to be revealed that all along it was Neville who was 'the boy who lived' and that Voldemort had only thought it was Harry due to Snape's obsession. To me, that was the only thing I ever hought Snape was guilty of

That couldn't have happened Dumbledore explained in book five that it could have been either of them mentioned in the prophecy, but Voldemort by acting on it, chose Harry to be the one.

I mean what about all the others? We don't know what happend to George after Fred died. We don't know what any of them are doing for a living except Neville. And what happened in the wizardring world after the downfall of Voldermort? How long did it take them to get back to normal and what happened at the ministry?

I wanted to know those things too, and what the mai characters did for a living.

I agree Paul.. at some point, I may go back and re-read the series.

Rereading the books before book 7 certainly helped, although i didn't get to book 6 and need to read that bit with Draco and Dumbledore again.

I thought it was interesting how Aberforth wanted Harry to give up. It really made me think. What happens if you do give up? Can you really give up fighting for evil for the greater good while you have breath left?

I had also wondered whether Voldemort had felt it when the horcruxes were broken and was relieved to find that he didn't.

I agree that Neville was great. He really turned himself around over the last couple of years. The killing of the snakewas a bit rushed though after the waiting game for the other horcruxes.

Mrs Weasley was so sool. I am glad Bellatrix went. How funy were the Malfoys. I felt like they were sitting amongst the survivors like naughty school kids!:)

All the way through even though Harry has done a lot of growing up, in some way he has been very childish. He is too sentimental I think and happened over his parents and Sirius a lot (quite rightly perhaps). Harry leaned on his godfather, but then in one pivotal moment he became the Godfather (later the parent of course) and with it came responsibilty. |If I remember rightly he really grew up after that.

I can't wait to see the films for 6 and7

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but JKR did an interview where she gave more of an insight into what the main characters got up to after the end of Voldemort. Harry and Ron become Aurors, I know that for sure (can't really remember some of the rest).

Also it was Mr Weasely who was meant to get the axe, but JKR couldn't bear to do it - so Tonks and Lupin were killed instead. Their deaths open up an opportunity for a bit of a spin-off as well (I think if there is one, the adventures of Teddy would be the natural way to go).

Loved the book. Got it on the SUnday after the mad rush, finished it by the time I got home on Monday. Was a very unproductive day at work!

• 1 year later...

I finished this last night. Utterly brilliant. I loved the bit was when Harry, Ron and Hermione had to get through the dementors when they left the castle but couldn't produce their patronuses because they were so devastated by Fred's death, and then Luna, Seamus and Deane came and produced theirs, lifting Harry enough to produce his. I welled up a little at that point. I love Luna, she's one of my favourite characters. I loved the painting she had on her ceiling.

And I was so pleased about Snape. I was hoping he would come good in the end, I just couldn't understand how it was going to happen.

I was sorry not to see Umbridge get her come-uppance though.

Fantastic finish. What a brilliantly plotted series. I'm so glad I got into these books. I've only read the last two. Better go back and read the others now :D

I really wish i had'nt read the Potter series (so i could read them again) enjoyed each one more than the next.

Going to wait untill daughters a bit older and read them to her. I hope she enjoys them as much as i did.

I actually wish I had read them in order from the beginning when they came out now. Having said that I did try the first one and couldn't get on with it, and thought bah, it's all hype. The OH got me into the films. The first one I really enjoyed was Azkaban, then we both read book 6 last year (neither of us having read any) and really enjoyed it.

Edited by ~Andrea~
Changed book 7 to book 6 doh!!

I did read them in order and i agree the first seemed to be more aimed at children. As the series went on and i guess she realised the adult interest was HUGE they got a bit darker and more interesting but still a great read for kids. Half Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows my favs i think.