Chrissy's Reading In 2014

Chrissy

52) Whose Body? by Dorothy L Sayers

This is the very first Lord Peter Wimsey book written by Ms Sayers in 1923. Wonderful characters, so well depicted in wonderful settings. Lord Peter himself, with his multifaceted and talented man Bunter. We have Detective Inspector Charles Parker, who Lord Peter 'assists' from time to time in his investigations and then there are all of the victims, the suspects and actual criminals, the witnesses and the other assorted  wonderful characters. All grand stuff. The plots are impeccable, and the glimpse into the many layered hierarchy of post World War One British society is fascinating, amusing and often satirical. 

In this story we have a duel crime; a dead body has been found in a stranger's bath in Battersea,  meanwhile a rich financier has disappeared from another part of London. Lord Peter's mother, the Dowager Duchess asks Peter to look into the body in the bath, as she is acquainted with the bath's owner, whereas Charles Parker is looking into the missing financier.

I adore the Lord Peter Wimsey series of books. Ms Sayer's character's are given such depth, and have lovely quirks and characteristics that make them more than mere scene fillers. My plan is to work my way through the series, most of which I have had for many years. What ho, these jolly japes!! :D  

53) Clouds Of Witness by Dorothy L Sayers

The Duke of Denver, Lord Peter's older brother has been arrested for the murder of their sister's fiancée. He vigorously denies this charge, yet cannot explain why he had been for a walk on the moor at 3 o'clock in the morning, nor can he locate a vital letter that would show why he had argued with the victim hours earlier. Can Lord Peter sort out the facts from the fictional accounts being given? Can he clear his brother's name without ruining his reputation? And why is Lady Mary agitated rather than saddened?

Another beautifully plotted book that takes place mostly at a country estate where the Duke of Denver is holding a shooting party event. 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a huge fan of Dorothy Sayers as well Chrissy, although it's quite a few years since I've read any. I loved the relationship between Peter and Harriet and particularly enjoyed the books where Harriet featured. The books have a very old-worldy feel of English university life, I was thinking of CS Lewis's life  ....and then when I looked her up on Wikipedia, I saw they were close friends. :smile: 

I agree with the Harriet sentiment, as I adore them together. A brave character to introduce too, especially for the time. Dorothy Sayers life itself is fascinating and I do hope to read more about her in the future, let alone her wonderful characters. 

• 2 weeks later...

Chrissy, it is so wonderful to see your mojo in full swing this year. :D It has been a long time coming, it seems! And it looks like you're having a great reading year in terms of quality as well. I hope you're well.  :friends3:

Hi Kylie thanks for dropping by. My mojo is happy and busy, and it feels great!  :D   A Y.A. reading year in many ways, but they have held my interest the most and I have experienced real reading pleasure.

I am well thank you, the past months have seen me crawl out from under the 18 month depressive shadow that had me pinned down. Life is shinier for me.  :smile:  :smile:

What a year it has been for you though Kylie. I hope that you, and your family are doing ok. You have been in my thoughts.  :friends0:

54) Glass Houses by Rachel Caine

55) Dead Girl's Dance by Rachel Caine

56) Midnight Alley by Rachel Caine

57) Feast Of Fools by Rachel Caine

58) Lord Of Misrule by Rachel Caine

59) Carpe Corpus by Rachel Caine

60) Fade Out by Rachel Caine

61) Kiss Of Death by Rachel Caine

62) Ghost Town by Rachel Caine

63) Bite Club by Rachel Caine

64) Last Breath by Rachel Caine

65) Black Dawn by Rachel Caine

66) Bitter Blood by Rachel Caine

67) Fall Of Night by Rachel Caine

68) Daylighters by Rachel Caine

I bought the entire Morganville Vampire series a few weeks ago as part of a kindle deal whereby each of the books cost 99p. I planned on reading an occasional one in between other books, but once I got started I found the escape into the Morganville universe to be irresistible and therefore ploughed my way through them. It was great to have the entire series all at once rather than having to wait for the next instalment.

The series centres around Claire, a young college student studying an advanced science and maths programme at the Texas Prairie University in the mysterious and run down Morganville. Following a violent attack at her dorms Claire seeks alternative accommodation and finds herself at the door of the Glass House, a house share containing three young Morganville locals. It's only after her move that Claire starts to discover the town's secrets and as the series progresses gets more and more involved in the events of this unique place. 

I didn't expect to enjoy the series as much as I did, but Rachel Caine managed to take a well worn premise and breathe new life into it. There is certainly action and drama and romance, but the series also touches upon ethics, the meaning of loyalty, friendship, love and affection, individuality versus community and what it means to be human. The characters are flawed and meaty and compelling and I found my sympathies and loyalties shifting throughout the series. So glad I bought the lot!  :D 

Good to hear you enjoyed the series, Chrissy. :)  I've been reading them over the years, and recently read the last three to finish off the series.  I thought it flagged around book 10, but I persevered as I thought it was great that there was actually an end to the series and wanted to see how it all turned out, and it did pick up again over those last few books.  

Rachel Caine also writes the Weather Warden series, which are aimed at adults not YA, and I've read the first couple and it's an interesting idea, so I'd like to read more, but as usual, so many books to read, I haven't quite got round to them … yet! :D

69) Deadly Wrong by SM Reine

Isobel Stonecrow’s life has an expiration date: One month, two weeks, four days, and six hours remaining. When she signed a contract giving her soul and memories to a demon named Ander, she didn’t expect that she would ever have to face termination. Too bad she can’t remember anything from the time before she signed the contract. 

Fritz Friederling, a billionaire demon hunter who owns several businesses in Hell, isn’t ready to give up on Isobel. But she isn’t sure that working with Fritz is better than dying. She doesn’t know much about her past life, but she knows that she signed Ander’s contract for a reason—and that getting away from Fritz was a significant part of it. Escaping her contract means remembering the life that she chose to forget. (from Amazon)

A quick read novella that takes place in the same time and place as SM Reine's Preternatural Affairs series. Well paced and well written it adds greater depth to the PA stories and the characters of Fritz and Isobel. 

70) Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Under the streets of London there's a world most people could never even dream of. A city of monsters and saints, murderers and angels, and pale girls in black velvet. Richard Mayhew is a young businessman who is about to find out more than he bargained for about this other London. A single act of kindness catapults him out of his safe and predictable life and into a world that is at once eerily familiar and yet utterly bizarre. There's a girl named Door, an Angel called Islington, an Earl who holds Court on the carriage of a Tube train, a Beast in a labyrinth, and dangers and delights beyond imagining... And Richard, who only wants to go home, is to find a strange destiny waiting for him below the streets of his native city.

I adore Neverwhere, and did from the moment I first read it. Inventive, infectious and utterly spellbinding this is a magical and very special book that takes what we might think we know and turns it on it's head until we are left with Mr Gaiman's version of truth and reality. I think I may prefer his.  :smile:

Neverwhere is astounding in it's depth and truly wonderful weirdness. Such an imagination, such a story. *sigh* 

Good to hear you enjoyed the series, Chrissy. :)  I've been reading them over the years, and recently read the last three to finish off the series.  I thought it flagged around book 10, but I persevered as I thought it was great that there was actually an end to the series and wanted to see how it all turned out, and it did pick up again over those last few books.  

Rachel Caine also writes the Weather Warden series, which are aimed at adults not YA, and I've read the first couple and it's an interesting idea, so I'd like to read more, but as usual, so many books to read, I haven't quite got round to them … yet! :D

I think I was able to enjoy them so much because I could totally immerse myself in the series, and where one book might lack, it was absorbed into the series as a whole so little was lost through it. The series pretty much became one big book for me!  :giggle2:​ I bought the first three Weather Warden books as a bundle recently, so will dive into those at some stage. I am back on the Dorothy L Sayers train for the moment, but who knows...... :D

I've read quite a few Neil Gaiman books and loved them, but haven't tried Neverwhere yet, so this has just reminded me it's time to put it on my shortlist. I think I'm a bit like you Chrissy, in that once I read a book in a series that I really like, I tend to get rather obsessive and want to read them all, one after another :blush2: 

I can only echo the sentiments about Neverwhere. I not a fantasy reader at the moment but I loved it and I thought it was excellent. He created such a vivid world that whenever I think of London now I always think of the secret world beneath the streets.

I've read quite a few Neil Gaiman books and loved them, but haven't tried Neverwhere yet, so this has just reminded me it's time to put it on my shortlist. I think I'm a bit like you Chrissy, in that once I read a book in a series that I really like, I tend to get rather obsessive and want to read them all, one after another :blush2: 

'Tis a great one Poppy, worth a read.  :smile: As far as series are concerned I do enjoy the total immersion aspect - I just wish that real life wouldn't get so much in the way when I want to read on!! :giggle2:

Great reviews! I own a few of the Morganville Vampires books (TBR), it's great to hear you enjoyed them :). Neverwhere is on my wishlist. I didn't know the Weather Warden series was adult, I have books 3-5 on my TBR.

I didn't realise the Weather Warden books were adult books either. I had assumed that Rachel Caine was a YA only writer. I'm looking forward to reading them at some point.   :readingtwo:

I can only echo the sentiments about Neverwhere. I not a fantasy reader at the moment but I loved it and I thought it was excellent. He created such a vivid world that whenever I think of London now I always think of the secret world beneath the streets.

You only have to be in a big city and people watch for a while to see that cities actually do have that 'underbelly' aspect. I think that's why Neverwhere really gets to me and has a vibe of being a slightly fantasised / embellished story from the real London Below. That's the magic of Neil Gaiman's  writing.  :smile: 

Oh dear, I do sound like such a fan-girl don't I?  :blush2: What the heck! I am a Gaiman fan-girl (although for girl read woman in her forties!  ;) ) 

I'm not particularly a fantasy reader at all, but I loved Neverwhere as well!  Agree with all the above. :D

Edited by pontalba

I've just read up about Neverwhere and it sounds really interesting.  :)  I've enjoyed the three Gaimans I've read so far. 

I must also say that every time I see your avatar I feel like bursting into song!  :D  I won't do it now though as I have a man here painting the dining room and he might think I'm mad!   :giggle2:

• 1 month later...

Well, my reading mojo froze in the cold weather, but I managed to keep my panic at bay, and stuck to reading magazine articles etc. when my books didn't grab me. I think it was partially triggered by my reading of a sh*tty book that basically depressed and angered me, not only by the 'vibe' of the thing but because I bothered with it.  :no:

71) Michael, Bob & Paula - Everything You Know Is Wrong by Gerry Agar

Gerry Agar was apparently a friend of the Geldofs, but muddled the friendship with PR work undertaken for Paula once she had broken up with Bob. This is a sordid and painful book that shows no one in a good light, especially the author. It appears to have been written to bring more angst to the daughters of Paula, Bob and Michael, and to show how manipulative and manipulated those in the limelight can be. I feel that I let myself down by reading this nonsense, and have no excuse to give as to why I did. *sigh*

72) Unnatural Death by Dorothy L Sayers

I thought I had read all of the Lord Peter Wimsey series over the years since I discovered Dorothy L Sayers, but I had missed one! :o 

A great story that opens with the intrigue as to whether a crime has actually been committed, and develops from there. I love the way Lord Peter's mind works and he has absolute centre stage in this book. I adore his interactions with Parker, the equality of their relationship and the affection the clearly have for each other is delightful.  

Thank you to Devi for the bookmark (sent ages ago) I used to keep my place.  :smile:  This is the first fiction book I have read in ages that was in tree book form (y'know, wiv real paper pages an stuff!). The others are ready and waiting by the Dorothy L Sayers bit of the book shelf ready for me to merrily wade my way through the others in the series.   :D

So that's the end of my year. Lots of books and happy hours spent reading. :readingtwo: 

Thank you for visiting, and I look forward to starting my 2015 thread.  :smile: