Kidsmum's Reading Log 2014

Kidsmum

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Pixie, i was really pleased with my finds  :D

I loved The Barchester Chronicles but i always think of The Warden as more of an introduction to the characters, the rest of the books are much stronger IMO  :smile: 

Ah, good to know - I assumed it was just more of the same. :smile:

Good idea to get them on Kindle though, am i right in thinking that all the classics are free?

I think that everything from before 1924, ie, 90 years old and over, can be free ( depending on volunteers having made freebie copies ). :smile:

Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont Elizabeth Taylor

The story of Mrs Palfrey an elderly lady who moves into The Claremont Hotel where she hopes to live out her remaining years in relative comfort. She shares her new home with a group of  elderly residents who like Mrs Palfrey are all on a budget, hoping there health will hold out so they don't end up in a nursing home & looking forward to infrequent duty visits from various relatives. Then one day Mrs Palfrey meets a young aspiring author called Ludo & they become friends.....

This is a sad story of aging, loneliness, keeping up appearances & dependency but it's so sensitively written that it steers clear of being depressing & there are some lighter moments as well, like when the residents are all trying to outdo each other as to who's had the most operations & who's was the most serious. So far this is my favourite book of the year, i know that's not saying much as we're only in January but i shall be adding more Elizabeth Taylor books to my wishlist 

6/6

This sounds like a good read.  I know there is a film adaptation starring Joan Plowright, which I would quite like to see, but have somehow never got around to.  I will be adding the book to my wish list :)  

(Incidentally, I read an interesting article about Elizabeth Taylor recently - I wish I could remember where.  It was talking about how she never really got the recognition she deserves as an author - it really made me want to read some of her books, so this one seems like a good place to start.)

Ruth, the Guardian have written a couple of articles on her that I've read and thought were interesting - I think this is the most recent one http://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/jul/06/elizabeth-taylor-complete-short-stories, although it's review of a collection of her short stories.  The other one I read was this one in the Telegraph but it's about 8 years old now!.  Even if they weren't the ones you were thinking of, they make interesting reading! Edited by chesilbeach

The Harpole Report  J.L.Carr

The Harpole Report is a very funny book with great characters

I am not a great one for humour in books. Indeed, I often think there might be something a wee bit wrong as I just don't seem to 'get' funny books, even the great classics, but The Harpole Report is one of the big exceptions, restoring my faith in my own humour! For me it's the funniest book I've read, a rare laugh outlouder, and was the book that introduced me to JL Carr. I'm so glad you enjoyed it too. My one point of disagreement with you is that I gave it 6/6!!

I fell off the wagon this morning, i couldn't walk past the charity shops without going in for a little look - i came out with

Sacred Hearts  Sarah Dunant

Orley Farm  Anthony Trollope

Ralph The Heir  Anthony Trollope

Castle Richmond  Anthony Trollope

The Trumpet- Major  Thomas Hardy

What a fab selection. I've just finished Sacred Hearts - loved it (although I know it's not everybody's cup of tea). The Trumpet Major was my first Hardy - I love his work too. Looks a good selection of Trollopes......

I loved The Barchester Chronicles but i always think of The Warden as more of an introduction to the characters, the rest of the books are much stronger IMO

Agree entirely. For me The Warden is one of the weaker of his that I've read. Good, but not in the same league as, for instance, its sequel Barchester Towers, which was my introduction to 19th century literature as a teenager when it was required reading at school (didn't have to study it, just read it). Good call by my teacher!

Good to hear you enjoyed The Harpole Report, as it's up on the shelf waiting for me to read! :D

I hope you enjoy it Claire, the fact that it was written in journal form made it easy to pick up & put down so it would make a good book for a train or bus journey  :smile:

I think that everything from before 1924, ie, 90 years old and over, can be free ( depending on volunteers having made freebie copies ). :smile:

I think that would be one of the things that would tempt me to buy a Kindle, all those classic books for free  :D

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad.  

thank you Ruth  :smile:

This sounds like a good read.  I know there is a film adaptation starring Joan Plowright, which I would quite like to see, but have somehow never got around to.  I will be adding the book to my wish list :)

(Incidentally, I read an interesting article about Elizabeth Taylor recently - I wish I could remember where.  It was talking about how she never really got the recognition she deserves as an author - it really made me want to read some of her books, so this one seems like a good place to start.)

That's interesting Ruth i shall look out for the film i'd like to see how it compares to the book. I agree she's definitely an author who seems to have been overlooked, i can't remember where i'd heard of her it might have been on the forum but i'm not sure  :smile:

Ruth, the Guardian have written a couple of articles on her that I've read and thought were interesting - I think this is the most recent one http://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/jul/06/elizabeth-taylor-complete-short-stories, although it's review of a collection of her short stories.  The other one I read was this one in the Telegraph but it's about 8 years old now!.  Even if they weren't the ones you were thinking of, they make interesting reading!

Thanks that's interesting reading  :smile: Hilary Mantel. Sarah Waters & Anne Tyler are all fans of her books.

Ok, so the books were written by THE Elizabeth Taylor? It did cross my mind but then I figured it wasn't a particularly rare name..

:)

No i don't think so, they'd probably have been a lot more well known though  :smile:

I am not a great one for humour in books. Indeed, I often think there might be something a wee bit wrong as I just don't seem to 'get' funny books, even the great classics, but The Harpole Report is one of the big exceptions, restoring my faith in my own humour! For me it's the funniest book I've read, a rare laugh outlouder, and was the book that introduced me to JL Carr. I'm so glad you enjoyed it too. My one point of disagreement with you is that I gave it 6/6!!

What a fab selection. I've just finished Sacred Hearts - loved it (although I know it's not everybody's cup of tea). The Trumpet Major was my first Hardy - I love his work too. Looks a good selection of Trollopes......

Agree entirely. For me The Warden is one of the weaker of his that I've read. Good, but not in the same league as, for instance, its sequel Barchester Towers, which was my introduction to 19th century literature as a teenager when it was required reading at school (didn't have to study it, just read it). Good call by my teacher!

I agree books that are sometimes described as laugh out loud funny seldom are but i think Carr's wit is very clever, not so in your face as other books.

I'm looking forward to the Sarah Dunant - it's always nice to find a new author to explore. Far From The Madding Crowd was my first Hardy & is one of my favourites but The Woodlanders has a special place in my heart, i don't like Tess Of The d'Urbevilles though  :smile:

The Barchester Chronicles were my first Trollope's as well, i think i was probably in my teens or early twenties when i read them when my older sister gave them to me. I have The Palliser Novels on my TBR pile as well so with my new Trollopes i could probably start my own book challenge  :smile:

Edited by Kidsmum

I bought a couple of books today from the charity shop

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie  Alan Bradley

Gone  Michael Grant

They're not for me though they're for one of my girls who is a big reader as well........ honest  ;)

Ruth, the Guardian have written a couple of articles on her that I've read and thought were interesting - I think this is the most recent one http://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/jul/06/elizabeth-taylor-complete-short-stories, although it's review of a collection of her short stories.  The other one I read was this one in the Telegraph but it's about 8 years old now!.  Even if they weren't the ones you were thinking of, they make interesting reading!

Thank you....They are interesting, and I am even more eager to read some of her work now :)

Ok, so the books were written by THE Elizabeth Taylor? It did cross my mind but then I figured it wasn't a particularly rare name..

:)

No, they weren't written by Elizabeth Taylor the actress - the article I mentioned before mentioned how they thought part of the reason that she never got the recognition she deserved was because when people hear the name Elizabeth Taylor, they instantly think of the actress.  (I have never been more aware that Elizabeth Taylor is in my avatar!)

Longbourn  Jo Baker

'If Elizabeth Bennet had the washing of her own petticoats,' Sarah thought, 'she would be more careful not to tramp through muddy fields.'

It is wash-day for the housemaids at Longbourn House, and Sarah's hands are chapped and raw. Domestic life below stairs, ruled with a tender heart and an iron will by Mrs Hill the housekeeper, is about to be disturbed by the arrival of a new footman, bearing secrets and the scent of the sea.

Having read & loved Pride & Predjudice i was really looking forward to reading Jo Baker's debut novel, not so much a retelling of the original story but life in the Bennett household from the servants perspective. I think it's quite a brave thing to do to re work a classic book especially one as popular as P&P but this was a wonderful read. In Jo Baker's story the servants take the centre stage & the Bennett girls lives are merely background, we find out how hard the servants had to work as the Bennetts were not a very affluent household so they had fewer servants to share the workload than their wealthier neighbours  & the housemaids especially were kept busy from dawn to dusk, the Bennett girls of course are oblivious to how much extra work they create for the servants & you get a real sense of how very different their lives are even though they share the same house. The housemaids Sarah & Polly though of a similar age to the Bennett girls don't have a social life & new clothes to concern themselves with, there life is one of toil & each day is the same so when a new footman with a shadowy history joins the household, Sarah especially is keen to find out all about his secret past.

Well written with great characters & a few interesting twists, some that worked better than others i thoroughly enjoyed the story my only criticism would be that the ending was too drawn out but even with that it gets a solid 5/6

KM

Sounds like Longbourn was a good book ! Sometimes life from behind the scenes is more interesting than that in front. Sort of like Downtown Abbey this year. Lots more going on behind the scenes that is holding my interest !

Longbourn  Jo Baker

'If Elizabeth Bennet had the washing of her own petticoats,' Sarah thought, 'she would be more careful not to tramp through muddy fields.'

It is wash-day for the housemaids at Longbourn House, and Sarah's hands are chapped and raw. Domestic life below stairs, ruled with a tender heart and an iron will by Mrs Hill the housekeeper, is about to be disturbed by the arrival of a new footman, bearing secrets and the scent of the sea.

Having read & loved Pride & Predjudice i was really looking forward to reading Jo Baker's debut novel, not so much a retelling of the original story but life in the Bennett household from the servants perspective. I think it's quite a brave thing to do to re work a classic book especially one as popular as P&P but this was a wonderful read. In Jo Baker's story the servants take the centre stage & the Bennett girls lives are merely background, we find out how hard the servants had to work as the Bennetts were not a very affluent household so they had fewer servants to share the workload than their wealthier neighbours  & the housemaids especially were kept busy from dawn to dusk, the Bennett girls of course are oblivious to how much extra work they create for the servants & you get a real sense of how very different their lives are even though they share the same house. The housemaids Sarah & Polly though of a similar age to the Bennett girls don't have a social life & new clothes to concern themselves with, there life is one of toil & each day is the same so when a new footman with a shadowy history joins the household, Sarah especially is keen to find out all about his secret past.

Well written with great characters & a few interesting twists, some that worked better than others i thoroughly enjoyed the story my only criticism would be that the ending was too drawn out but even with that it gets a solid 5/6

Great review - I bought this a few weeks ago, so am looking forward to reading it now :)

I'm glad that you liked Longbourn, as have it 'on request' from the library  :smile:

I hope you enjoy it Marie, i'd been wanting to read the book since i went to hear Jo Baker talk about it last year at the Morley Literature Festival, she is of course a big fan of Jane Austen & i think that comes across in her writing  :smile:

KM

Sounds like Longbourn was a good book ! Sometimes life from behind the scenes is more interesting than that in front. Sort of like Downtown Abbey this year. Lots more going on behind the scenes that is holding my interest !

It was a really good read Julie & yes i agree behind the scenes is fascinating & i love Downton Abbey. One of the things i got from the book was how much harder life was then without modern appliances, i sometimes feel like a maid of all work as i spend a lot of time cleaning up after my own family but goodness me how much easier those jobs are when you've got a washing machine , vacuum cleaner & something as simple as a pair of rubber gloves to protect your hands :D

Great review - I bought this a few weeks ago, so am looking forward to reading it now :)

Thanks Ruth, did you get the paperback or the hardback copy? The copy i have is hardback & although it's quite nice, kind of red & velvety i actually prefer the paperback cover  :smile:

The Rector's Daughter  F.M. Major arrived this morning from Amazon Marketplace, i've had this on my wishlist since Janet reviewed it on her thread so when i saw this seconhand copy i couldn't resist popping it in the basket.

Help.....I'm on the slippery slope of indulgence  :blush2:

The Rector's Daughter  F.M. Major arrived this morning from Amazon Marketplace, i've had this on my wishlist since Janet reviewed it on her thread so when i saw this seconhand copy i couldn't resist popping it in the basket.

Help.....I'm on the slippery slope of indulgence  :blush2:

Oh dear - I hope you enjoy this because it was actually The Third Miss Symons I read and reviewed - I haven't read this one yet. :blush:  I suspect (but I'm only guessing) that Claire might have read it. 

Be careful , KM

Those Slippery Slopes are sometimes downhill . :D The good thing about this type of slope is that you will end up with another good book to read in the end  .

Very true Julie & at least i'll be in good company when i reach the bottom  :D

A new book :D! It's on my wishlist so I look forward to hear what you think :).

Hopefully it'll be sooner rather than lare when i get round to reading it  :readingtwo:

Ooooh Longbourn sounds fascinating, I'm also a massive fan of P&P! On the wishlist it goes! :lol:

It really is a good read Noll i don't feel i did it justice with my review. I find it much easier to tell people what i liked about a book than to write it down  :smile:

Oh dear - I hope you enjoy this because it was actually The Third Miss Symons I read and reviewed - I haven't read this one yet. :blush:  I suspect (but I'm only guessing) that Claire might have read it. 

Oh yes.... now i remember  :giggle:  I must be getting forgetful in my old age  :blush2:

'Gone' is really good Kidsmum, the whole series is addictive, looking forward to reading your thoughts. :)

Thanks Weave, i bought it for my daughter who wanted to read it but i shall get round to reading it at some point i'm sure  :D

Cousin Phillis  Elisabeth Gaskell

Amazon Synopsis

Paul Manning, who narrates this powerful story of love and loss, has only recently left home to become clerk to the engineer of a new railway line, Mr Holdsworth. Knowing that some of his distant relatives, the Holmans, live nearby, Manning goes to visit them and becomes intimate with the family. In time, Manning introduces Holdsworth to them and the engineer and Phillis Holman fall in love, although neither declares their feelings to the other. Holdsworth is then sent by the railway company to work on a line in Canada, but he confides to Manning that it is his intention to return to England and ask for Phillis' hand in marriage. Called by some 'the most perfect story in English,' this idyllic, pastoral tale captures the emotions of young love with the perception of a consumate observer of the human condition.

This was one of my Christmas books from my wishlist, i've read & enjoyed a few of Mrs Gaskells other novels & from the synopsis this sounds like another winner indeed a reviewer on Amazon described it as her best novel ever........well they must have been reading a different book to mine as i found it to be a very dull read. Nothing very much happens in the story & the characters are all very polite & well behaved with nothing about them that would make you remember them. Cousin Phillis is a pathetic character but of course everyone loves her because she's so demure when for want of her lover she falls ill with a brain fever seemingly the whole village mopes about fearing that she wont recover & even the village idiot does his bit by diverting passing traffic so she wont be disturbed on her sickbed  :roll: Personally i hoped she would rise from her torpor & run riot with an axe in the village this would have lifted the story considerably & elevated it from a 2* read to a 3*. On the plus side it does have some very nice illustrations & an interesting introduction on Elizabeth Gaskells life  :smile:

2/6