Willoyd's Reading 2014

willoyd

Yeah, I was interested in that one, but forgot to listen to it on Radio 4's Book of the Week. I'm now in a queue of 3 from the library.  :smile: .

I love listening to Book of the Week - as long as I've read the book.  It's interesting to hear how they manage to abridge and make it still viable.  OTOH, I can't listen if I haven't read, just like I can't see a film before reading a book - the book's got to come first for me (if it was the original - I'm not reading The Killing until I've finished the series....and I mean series 1!).

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darwin by Adrian Desmond and James Moore ****

Darwin is one of those characters in history who I find absolutely fascinating. I think it's a combination of what he's famous for (natural selection is such a wonderfully elegant theory, but there's so much other work he did too), what he did (not least the voyage of the Beagle), the story, almost mystery, surrounding the publication of The Origin of Species, the travails of his life, and his history as part of the widespread, and (it has to be said) inbred, Darwin-Wedgewood clan. Much of that interest was stimulated a few years ago by reading Harry Thompson's brilliant This Thing of Darkness. So now it was a chance to see how history matched up with fiction.

In one way it certainly did. This Thing of Darkness, at over 700 pages, was definitely a 'big' read. Nominally a mite shorter, but with every page rock solid meat, Darwin was monumental, and even after some three weeks fairly intensive reading (admittedly including a really busy time at work) it took a really big push over a couple of days of half term to make it over the finishing line of what by the end did feel a bit like a marathon.

As an insight into Darwin's life and thoughts, the book is absolutely fascinating. I hadn't realised quite how immersed I'd become in life from Darwin's viewpoint until I reached the final chapter of the book, which focuses on the last minute change of burial site from Down village's parish church to Westminster Abbey (much to the resentment of the local populace). The previous chapter had seen a vivid and very moving account of Darwin's death. Suddenly, we were no longer seeing life through Darwin's eyes, but almost from the outside, looking in. All the warmth of the previous six hundred or so pages had turned distinctly bleak, and it was quite unnerving. It was only then that one fully realised how much the authors had got inside the man, and how effectively they'd taken the reader with them deep into the life of someone who comes over as far gentler, shyer and more caring, particularly as he grew older, than I had expected.

They had, at least for me, also answered the questions that had always circled around Darwin's life, not least the perennial issue of why he delayed so long in making his theory public. Rather than it being a mystery, it all made eminent sense, not least his own innate conservatism leaving him terrified of social ostracism, and the changing public atmosphere gradually making such a revolutionary step almost acceptable - almost, as the furore it caused was still substantial (as it remains today in some quarters). The chapters describing his own gradual appreciation of what the evidence was telling him and the genesis of both theory and book were some of the most enthralling of this book - maybe because this was one of those areas I was most interested in, and I found them genuinely illuminating (I also enjoyed the slightly surrealistic experience of reading the chapter on the publication of The Origin of Species during his sojourn in Ilkley, whilst actually sat outside the very building he'd been resident at the time - a complete coincidence!). I was also taken by surprise in a number of places, not least how little regard/understanding Darwin had initially shown for the evidence on show in the Galapagos Islands, often seen as one of the lynchpins of his work: it was almost amusing how much he had to scramble together from others' specimens and records when he got back and realised what was going on, not least from Robert Fitzroy, ironically to turn into one of his most trenchant opponents.

Aside from Darwin himself, the other star of the book for me was his wife Emma.  Inevitably, she fades a bit into the background with all the discussion surrounding the science, but there is no doubting her importance in Darwin's life, very much the rock without which he could well have sunk, and remarkable given the fundamental differences in their religious outlooks.

So - fascinating, meaty, illuminating, but also sometimes difficult to follow! This may have been because of the huge amount of ground covered by the authors, but there were times, particularly when they were at their most discursive on the different viewpoints and debates of the time, when I struggled to keep track and follow the lines of discussion. My impression was that Desmond and Moore, at least subconsciously, expected the reader to have some background in the subject. Certainly, I just rather too often felt myself floundering, not really fully understanding the subtleties (and they were often just that) of the differences between the various parties, or indeed quite who supported who and in what ways - I got the very distinct impression that there were a whole range of different shades of Darwinism even within the innermost circle, but could never quite get my head around what they were, not least because I suspect they kept changing! I really needed some of the explanations to be just a little bit more a beginner's, maybe non-scientist's (?), guide.

So, a huge book in more ways than one, but one that on balance I feel all the better for having read! At this stage, I'm not sure I would want to go back to it in a hurry, but that may just be because I feel quite exhausted by it! That could be because it so immediately followed on from another 'big' read, but I suspect it's simply the intensity of the book itself. Whatever, I think an interval of much lighter reading is now on the cards!

Incidentally, what this book also underlined for me is what a great book This Thing of Darkness is, confirming the quality of Thompson's history. The quality of the writing needed no confirmation!

Edited by willoyd

Great review. :smile: I admit to not knowing a great detail about Darwin, except for his contribution to evolutionary theory.  I have The Origin of Species on my Kindle, but a biography of his life sounds like a better place to start. I've also looked up This Thing of Darkness, which looks like a great read. I've added both to my wishlist.

Great review :)! I haven't yet read anything by Darwin but I have The Origin of Species and The Voyage of the Beagle on my TBR. I don't know a lot about him either other than his contribution to evolutionary theory.

I've only just noticed that you've acquired a copy of The Rosie Project. I thought it was genius! The idea and the execution... I really hope you will enjoy the book. I'm looking forward to your review on it :)

About two-thirds of the way through.  Loving it!

Edited by willoyd

The Late Monsieur Gallet by Georges Simenon ***

A fairly typical early Maigret. Strong on setting and atmospheric development, the plot also promised to be decently intriguing. However, whilst the ending certainly took me by surprise, it also left me somewhat perplexed, as I never really followed it. That may be because that ending was undertaken during a late night read when I was already fairly tired, and my concentrations levels were definitely not at their highest, but it also felt a bit like a book that had set out knowing where it was going, but gradually lost its way. A reread may suggest otherwise, but in the meantime it ranks as 'only' a reasonably solid read.

Edited by willoyd

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion *****

I picked this up in our local bookshop without any previous knowledge of book or author; it was a classic case of browsing and finding an interesting looking book.

In the event it proved much more than just interesting. In fact I'd go so far as to say that I don't think I've had as much out and out fun reading a book since.... well I can't think when, but if I think what sort of books that I would relate it to, the obvious short hand description that jumps to mind would be a more adult The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. In fact TRP is, if anything, lighter and funnier; in many respects similar to TV's The Big Bang Theory.

And yes, I did say funny! I actually found this book funny! Not laugh out loud, but I definitely laughed internally at several of the scenes. What was interesting though, is I never felt I was laughing at the characters, more the situations they got themselves into. Rather, I found, a bit scarily, that I was relating quite a lot to what Don, the Australian associate professor of genetics with Asperger's syndrome at the heart of the story, was actually feeling and experiencing. No, I don't have Standard Meal lists, or plan every minute of every day to cope with life, but there was definitely a familiarity to some of the bemusement he felt about the social norms he had to get to grips with.

I think that's why the book is so popular and so easy to relate to. Whilst one might think that it was simply about someone with Asperger's, attempting to see the world through their eyes (and it is!), it's actually got a far broader side: it's as much holding a magnifying glass up to the way society works, the way 'normal' people are meant to work (but is anybody actually 'normal'?), the way non-normal people are perceived. It's only when one does so in this way, does the idiosyncracy of it all come to the fore. Is it non-normal people that are 'different', or the so-called normal?

There's loads more I could write about, but it's the sort of book I'd rather talk around with others than try and write a review on. What I would say though, is that I thoroughly recommend it: it's a completely addictive read, one that kept me up late at night, and champing at the bit to return to. Returning to work on Monday, I couldn't wait for the train journey home to get my head back into it to read the last pages. I was so immersed that I completely forgot my bag when changing trains, head firmly in the book, only to recover the bag (lucky, oh so lucky) when a kind and tnoroughly honest unknown person handed it in to the guard, and it landed up in lost property with my life inside. That's the effect this book had!!

Great review. I am currently reading this book and couldn't agree more. So captivating and enjoyable. Will make sure I only read it when in a safe environment and not one where I could lose all my belongings.

Great review :)! I went to add the book to my wishlist but it turns out it's already on there, I want to read it even more after reading your review.

EDIT: I ordered it, it sounds like something I'd really enjoy.

Edited by Athena

Great review! I've added it to my wishlist as I have heard many things about it lately. Must be good if it made you forget your bag. Lucky you got off at the right station! :giggle2:

Edited by bobblybear

I have done that once. The panic you feel when you realise you have left your bag somewhere, with all your belongings. Its a horrible feeling. Glad you got it back. :)

Like athena, I too have gone and bought the book. It was already on my wish list anyway.

Great review! I've added it to my wishlist as I have heard many things about it lately. Must be good if it made you forget your bag. Lucky you got off at the right station! :giggle2:

I didn't!  I got off the train that was carrying on into Leeds, connecting on to another one to my home station (head firmly in book!).  I only realised when I got to the front door - no bag, no keys.  Fortunately OH had already returned home , and the door was open.  I went in only to hear the cry from OH as I crossed the threshold, "It's in Leeds!!".  Apparently the guard had rung OH's number on my phone, and the bag was in Leeds lost property.  So off I trotted (fortunately it's only an hour there and back)!  Absolutely everything was intact;  I was so, so lucky!  Lovely to be able to appreciate that there are still such people in this world though.  Just hope I can emulate the favour one day.

Edited by willoyd

I've left my bag before at the train station too, the thing is we didn't remember where we left it, so we went everywhere (including all the shops we'd been in). Gladly we found it at the train station in the end :)! I'm glad you got your bag back, Willoyd.

You've persuaded me to get The Rosie Project.  I've almost bought it a few times, but I was told that it was quite like The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, and (I know I'm in the minority) I was pretty underwhelmed by that.  The Rosie Project sounds like an enjoyable read though.  Great review, as always :)

Great review on The Rosie Project! I'm very happy you enjoyed the book so much! What a horrid thing about your bag, though, I'm glad that some honest person found it and did the right thing. This is why I prefer over-the-shoulder bags! I can't forget them anywhere... :D

A Commonplace Killing by Sian Busby **

I acquired this to read for the April meeting of my book group. As I'd already read this month's choice recently (Wuthering Heights), I decided to get a head start!

The book has inevitably garnered a certain amount of publicity from being the last book of Robert Peston's late wife, Sian Busby, a book that she struggled hard to complete before cancer finally took her. Although she didn't quite manage, it was close enough to completion to warrant publication.

Set in immediate post-war north London, the story is based on a real-life murder. The plotting is interesting, in that there are two parallel narratives, that of the murder victim's last few days, and the investigation itself. This provides an unusual angle, giving the reader an opportunity to compare the detectives' ongoing investigation with the unfolding of the 'real' story - are their surmises how it really worked out? You find out how things actually work out (or think you find out) much earlier than in a story with the revealing all saved to the end.

Busby has obviously worked hard to place the novel accurately in its time - there is a weary drabness to the entire story which fully reflects the atmosphere of the time. Everything, but everything, is cheap, tawdry, battered, in ruins.

Unfortunately, whilst the setting is so effectively set up, the greyness carries over to the characterisation. Only one, Policewoman Tring, shows any real life or vivacity, and the fact that she is virtually alone makes her stand out like a beacon (or is it a sore thumb?). The rest, though, all seem to be a bit two-dimensional and stereotyped: the snappy spiv, the loud East Ender, the put upon wife, the failure of a weedy husband, the sluttish lodger, the lumbering, unlucky in love, policeman: it's all rather obvious, straight out of a black-and-white B movie, and about as old in concept. The love interest, for what it is, is both unfulfilled (how else?) and gratuitous. Indeed, it got in the way and felt plain silly (maybe that was the point?).

The plot, too, can only be described as slow moving and dully straightforward. For instance, we were a quarter of the way into the book, and the body had been barely discovered. Even when we finally reached the meat, it was so straightforward, not the slightest twist in an arrow-straight narrative, my reaction on reaching the end was, why bother? - Both why bother writing it, and why bother reading it? What on earth was there about the story that made it so special, so worth telling? Frankly, I haven't a clue, and am left somewhat bemused over its success, other than perhaps as a mark of respect to the author.

Edited by willoyd

Great review! It's a shame you didn't enjoy the book as much as hoped, though for fully understandable reasons (as explained in your review). I hope your next read will be more enjoyable :).

EDIT: Does this happen a lot, that you don't really like the books chosen for your Book Club?

Edited by Athena

EDIT: Does this happen a lot, that you don't really like the books chosen for your Book Club?

I used to belong to two book clubs. Of the books for the one I gave up, a high proportion were ones I didn't really rate - it was one of the reasons I decided to call it a day. Part of the problem was that they were chosen by the library from sets they held: the choices felt rather samey and I felt that we never really had ownership of them or control over the decisions. In relation to the book group of which I'm still a member, the choice of books is rotated round the club, with the result that there's a much greater variety of books and a greater sense of ownership/self-control of both group and choices.

The point behind the group is to discuss a variety of books: some of the best discussions have been about books I haven't really rated, whilst conversely, some of the least productive discussions have been about those I've really enjoyed! So, whilst, yes, there's more books I don't really like than if I'd selected them for myself, I'm not that concerned, as long as we have a good time discussing them! Of course, it's important i enjoy some, even a majority, of them, and so far I have.

Incidentally, having now read it, the person who nominated A Commonplace Killing, agrees about its dullness. It'll be interesting to see how much variety there is in the responses from others.

Edited by willoyd

Will

so glad to hear you enjoyed Rosie so much. I also got it on my Kindle for 1.99 awhile back and started it once, but was't in the mood at the time, probably not for reading anything . Will try it again sometime, since you sounded so very impressed by it :)

I used to belong to two book clubs. Of the books for the one I gave up, a high proportion were ones I didn't really rate - it was one of the reasons I decided to call it a day. Part of the problem was that they were chosen by the library from sets they held: the choices felt rather samey and I felt that we never really had ownership of them or control over the decisions. In relation to the book group of which I'm still a member, the choice of books is rotated round the club, with the result that there's a much greater variety of books and a greater sense of ownership/self-control of both group and choices.

The point behind the group is to discuss a variety of books: some of the best discussions have been about books I haven't really rated, whilst conversely, some of the least productive discussions have been about those I've really enjoyed! So, whilst, yes, there's more books I don't really like than if I'd selected them for myself, I'm not that concerned, as long as we have a good time discussing them! Of course, it's important i enjoy some, even a majority, of them, and so far I have.

Incidentally, having now read it, the person who nominated A Commonplace Killing, agrees about its dullness. It'll be interesting to see how much variety there is in the responses from others.

x

It's very interesting to read how it worked for you. I hope you'll enjoy the discussion of A Commonplace Killing :).