• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh what a horrible job, I'm jealous! :D

Hehe, its a hard job but someone has to do it :P

Ahhh, he knows not the depth of the water in which he treads.............. :D

He did almost fall over in shock when I gave him the list hehe :P

In other book news I finished City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (which I loved!) and have started The Queen Bee of Bridgeton by Leslie DuBois.

I also downloaded Its All About Treo: Life and War with the World's Bravest Dog by Dave Heyhoe yesterday.

Have at last finished A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz after starting it in February :blush2: (I left off when ill and went right back to the beginning again as couldn't quite remember the storyline.) It's 710 pages of brilliance :smile: 

I'm glad that A Fraction Of the Whole was good to read in the end  :smile: . The last time I read any of it was almost 3 weeks  :blush2: ,so I must knuckle down to it again. Trouble is, I am so fickle with books. Crikey, I didn't realise that the book was that long, 710 pages! That's the sneaky way with the ebooks, you never know whether a book is a slim volume or an epic tome when you buy them :D .

Thanks to frankie, I've started Purge by Sofi Oksanen.......35 pages in, and the tension is palpable. 

I didn't get a chance to read yesterday at all, so am only a little over a hundred pages in, but loving it. :D

I'm glad that A Fraction Of the Whole was good to read in the end  :smile: . The last time I read any of it was almost 3 weeks  :blush2: ,so I must knuckle down to it again. Trouble is, I am so fickle with books. Crikey, I didn't realise that the book was that long, 710 pages! That's the sneaky way with the ebooks, you never know whether a book is a slim volume or an epic tome when you buy them :D .

Even in paperback form it's deceiving .. I mean it looked quite thick but I was thinking 500 pages or so :blush2: .. still at least it was worth the effort. Hope you are able to tackle some more of it soon Marie .. I thought it was great from start to finish but it really picks up pace towards the end :smile: 

Oh yes, it's seems to be set sometime after the end of world war 2, and for some reason people only have horse and cart, or bicycles, but no motor vehicles  :dunno: . Post-war hard times, possibly :dunno:. Those first names must be old fashioned, it sounded to someone young like you  :giggle2::D  . Sanelma remind me of the English name Sandra, which was more popular up to the 1970's, but is very unfashionable now. They call Gunner the miller "Kunnari, in the Finnish way", and are seem to be prejudiced as he came from South Finland. The local people seem to be very small minded.

As my art tutor friend says, about mojo problems - "don't force it, just wait until it happens" - which is good advice, but it still :censored: you off big-time when it isn't happening.  :giggle:

I think Finns were rather late with vehicles... I don't think we had many of them at all, until the 60s... I recently read a Finnish true crime book, where a suspect had a vehicle, and it said in the book that in those days (it was in the 50s), everybody knew whose car it was when they saw one...

I think we had some Sandras... but it would most likely have been pronounced Santra... :D Ah yes Kunnari, now that sounds more Finnish... I think Gunnar is a more Swedish name. Although Finland used to be a part of Sweden, so undoubtedly we've had our share of Gunnar's before.

Georges Perec's the art and craft of approaching your head of department to submit a request for a raise arrived this morning  :D a book with no composition so no commas no semi colon or full stops  :giggle2: what a crazy guy georges must have been  :giggle:

Oh, another Perec and Oulipo book for you... :D It's going to be pretty interesting, I think, with no punctuation... :D

Thanks to frankie, I've started Purge by Sofi Oksanen.......35 pages in, and the tension is palpable. 

Frankie's tension is now palpable... :lurker:

Finished Newes from the Dead, great story and even more amazing when you consider it is based on a true story. Thank you Claire for loaning it to me! :)

I'm so happy you liked it, and it must feel pretty darn great to have finished the book! I know how poor your mojo has been lately... :empathy:

Have at last finished A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz after starting it in February :blush2: (I left off when ill and went right back to the beginning again as couldn't quite remember the storyline.) It's 710 pages of brilliance :smile: 

I'm so looking forward to reading it! :) I'm happy you picked it up again, against your personal prejudices, and enjoyed it :friends3:

Will hopefully start Lighthousekeeping by Jeanette Winterson later today and also carry on with Round the Christmas Fire .. have read seven of the short stories/extracts so far.

Lighthousekeeping hasn't done too well in the RC, has it :lurker:  My mojo's been so stupid lately I haven't even borrowed my copy... Not having finished last months' RC book :( Which I loved, as far as I could read it!!!

Now, I'm toying with the idea of reading A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. Hmmmm, decisions, decisions..... :blink:

Now this is a great novel...! :wub: But if you are at all in two minds about it, wait til the mood is right. The first 60 pages or so are tought going... But if and when you get past that, it's gonna get gooooood! :D (Well at least it did for me. And I said the same thing to another BCF member who was just about to chuck the book out the window... They persevered, and loved it! I think it was bree. Now, were is bree anyways?!?)

I didn't get a chance to read yesterday at all, so am only a little over a hundred pages in, but loving it. :D

Yayyyyy!!! :D You have no idea how happy this makes me :smile2: And yet again, no pressure... :giggle2:

I started (re-)reading an Astrid Lindgren book last night. I got to page 27, so that's good...

I'll make it for you .. read it!! :D

Now this is a great novel...! :wub: But if you are at all in two minds about it, wait til the mood is right. The first 60 pages or so are tought going... But if and when you get past that, it's gonna get gooooood!

I've started it. :D The first sections were a bit of a struggle, and I really did have to read and re-read some sentences before I could understand them, but it's flowing a bit better now. It's not as long as I thought it would be - the Kindle version comes in at 237 pages.

I've also just bought Gulp by Mary Roach. I've read all of her books and found them very entertaining, so hopefully this will be the same. Half the enjoyment is due to her style of delivering the information with a lot of humour. :haha:

I've also just bought Gulp by Mary Roach. I've read all of her books and found them very entertaining, so hopefully this will be the same. Half the enjoyment is due to her style of delivering the information with a lot of humour. :haha:

Ooh, jealous! I completely agree about her writing style. :)

I've just ordered A Christmas Carol, I've not read any Dickens and I'm not a big classics fan but I'm feeling a bit left out as so many of you have read it! :)

I really hope you enjoy it! It's probably my favourite story of all time. It's so lovely, and told so well!

I've started it. :D The first sections were a bit of a struggle, and I really did have to read and re-read some sentences before I could understand them, but it's flowing a bit better now. It's not as long as I thought it would be - the Kindle version comes in at 237 pages.

I'm so happy you got over the most difficult part and it's going better for you now. Oh I hope you shall love the rest of it :wub:

She's great, isn't she? I think my favorite is Stiff. That was so fascinating. :yes:

Stiff was brilliant :D I was in stitches when I read it, and that's saying something, knowing what the book is actually about... :D

I couldn't stick with the Astrid Lindgren last night, so started re-reading Marley & Me. Let's hope this one sticks. Or maybe I just need to read factual non-fiction..

I couldn't stick with the Astrid Lindgren last night, so started re-reading Marley & Me. Let's hope this one sticks. Or maybe I just need to read factual non-fiction..

x

I hope you get on better with this one! I loved Marley & Me when I read it earlier this year, I hope you enjoy re-reading it at the moment.

I've just ordered A Christmas Carol, I've not read any Dickens and I'm not a big classics fan but I'm feeling a bit left out as so many of you have read it! :)

Oh, I do hope you enjoy it.  I really love it - it's one of my favourite books.  :)

Well I had rather a busy reading day yesterday. I finished The Queen Bee of Bridgeton by Leslie DuBois and I started The Witness Wore Red by Rebecca Musser.

Then when I went to bed I couldn't sleep so I finished Confession of a GP by Dr Benjamin Daniels.

Oh, another Perec and Oulipo book for you... :D It's going to be pretty interesting, I think, with no punctuation... :D

It's taking some time to follow, without the punctuation marks, but he's witty  :smile:, and it's a very short book.

She's great, isn't she? I think my favorite is Stiff. That was so fascinating. :yes:

LOOOOVED Stiff!  I forgot all about her. 

Still reading Hild, 39%.  I like it, its just there are so many other books I've discovered on this site that I want to read!

Have read quite a bit of Lighthousekeeping and am really enjoying it (so should be able to help out on the RC soon frankie :hug:) .. perfect tale to cosy up with. Also read a few more stories from Around the Christmas Fire including Christmas at Cold Comfort Farm which, though I've already read it this year, is an absolute joy and Dulce Domum from The Wind in the Willows which I also know and love. Makes you all jingly belly  :xmassmile:   

Hope you enjoy A Christmas Carol Hayley :friends0:  

x

I hope you get on better with this one! I loved Marley & Me when I read it earlier this year, I hope you enjoy re-reading it at the moment.

Oddly I managed to read more of it last night... :D

It's taking some time to follow, without the punctuation marks, but he's witty  :smile:, and it's a very short book.

Ah, shortness helps a bit... :giggle: I definitely want to read Perec some day... :)

Have read quite a bit of Lighthousekeeping and am really enjoying it (so should be able to help out on the RC soon frankie :hug:) .. perfect tale to cosy up with.

I'm happy you're enjoying the book! :) Then again, I think we knew you would... :D I don't know if anyone else has read the book :o I don't think anyone's commented on the thread...

Have read quite a bit of Lighthousekeeping and am really enjoying it (so should be able to help out on the RC soon frankie :hug:) .. perfect tale to cosy up with. Also read a few more stories from Around the Christmas Fire including Christmas at Cold Comfort Farm which, though I've already read it this year, is an absolute joy and Dulce Domum from The Wind in the Willows which I also know and love. Makes you all jingly belly  :xmassmile:   

Hope you enjoy A Christmas Carol Hayley :friends0:  

Thanks Kay.  :friends3: I think i'm looking forward to it. I'm reading A Watcher in the Shadows by Carlos Ruiz Zafon at the moment which is looking promising (and is a lovely hardback copy so nice to look at too). I quite fancy the Around the Christmas Fire book though I'm not usually a short story fan, I always find they finish just as I'm starting to like them! :D

Oddly I managed to read more of it last night... :D

Hurrah for more reading!  :flowers2:  :flowers2:

I was donating some book to the BHF shop today and couldn't resist a quick look see, their books are dearer than most but their selection is usually better. I came away with -

Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Jamaica Inn - Daphne Du Maurier

The Last Werewolf - Glen Duncan

and

Golf - The Cure for a Grumpy Old Man by Peter Alliss for my Dad

I think I may have to stash some books in a hiding place when Steve comes home or I'll be in trouble! :D