The English Counties Challenge

I'm almost finished with the Malory Towers books, and I think you were too, weren't you Alex? I was still planning to set up a thread for Middlemarch this weekend, but how about for the first book we give it three weeks, just to give ourselves a bit of extra time to finish off other things, so we would aim to finish reading the first book by 22nd February … how does that sound?

I have downloaded the version Claire linked above but it says there are under 500 pages in it. However, on Goodreads most versions have between 800 and 900. Is this an abridged version, do you think?

Annoyingly there are no links to individual chapters in the 'go to...' section. :(

I've got the paperback version as well, and I think it's just a page number issue with the Kindle.  It looks exactly the same, doesn't have any mention that it's abridged, and if you go to the Notes section at the end and randomly click on a link, it takes you to it directly, and mentions page numbers up to page 838, and according to my Kindle, the Notes section is one page long, but it's massive!  I think the page numbers on the Kindle will be distracting, but I'm convinced it's the full version of the book.

• 1 month later...

I can't find where we talked about the date for Book 3 of Middlemarch but I'm nearly at the end of it already. I'm really enjoying it and it's not as challenging as I thought it might be. :) Can someone please remind me when the deadline is, please? :)

Yay for holidays!  Enjoy. :)

The only Easter weekend I have had off since 2005 was in 2012 when I accidentally booked it as annual leave (the clocks went forward on Easter Eve so I hadn't specifically booked it off for that reason!) so I'm looking forward to this one.  :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Anyone fancy another group read for the challenge?  I've got quite a few on my Kindle now, and my TBR is waning now, so I was thinking of attacking the challenge again soon, and wondered if anyone else fancied joining me, perhaps starting in a couple of weeks time?

I'm planning to start South Riding in the next couple of weeks, but I think that's one I want to read in one go, so I'll bow out of any group installment read this time. :)

Hope you enjoy whatever you choose!

I hadn't really come up with any options yet, but you've reminded me about the Dickens now - we were going to do A Tale of Two Cities, weren't we?  If you want to do that one instead, I'll set up a thread in the main Group Reads board and see if anyone else wants to join in. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We didn't have an alternative for South Yorkshire (A Kestrel for a Knave) but I just wondered if anyone knows of any other books set there?  I read 'Kes' a few years ago, so I'd like to read something different if possible.  :)

Can't think of many, certainly not at the level of fame of A Kestrel for a Knave, but two that might do are Philip Hensher's The Northern Clemency, and Sunjeev Sahota's The Year of the Runaways, short-listed this year for the Man-Booker, both set in Sheffield.  The latter's still a bit new though, I would have thought, to count fully yet.

The BBC are showing a dramatisation of And Then There Was One on Boxing Day.  Decisions, decisions....read it now or read it after.  Which way round? Can't see me enjoying the book once I know whodunnit on TV, but then would the TV be any better the other way round?.  Maybe read an alternative for Devon and sit back and enjoy the TV?  Hmmmmmmm.

Edited by willoyd

Can't think of many, certainly not at the level of fame of A Kestrel for a Knave, but two that might do are Philip Hensher's The Northern Clemency, and Sunjeev Sahota's The Year of the Runaways, short-listed this year for the Man-Booker, both set in Sheffield.  The latter's still a bit new though, I would have thought, to count fully yet.

Thanks - I will check them out.  I don't want to reread 'Kes' so even if it's not perfect at least it's one for the county.  :)

The BBC are showing a dramatisation of And Then There Was One on Boxing Day.  Decisions, decisions....read it now or read it after.  Which way round? Can't see me enjoying the book once I know whodunnit on TV, but then would the TV be any better the other way round?.  Maybe read an alternative for Devon and sit back and enjoy the TV?  Hmmmmmmm.

Yes, definitely read it.  It's a great book.  :)

I listened to an audio book of it in the summer and I'm now listening again with my husband (we have the week off and will be doing a fair bit of travelling) because I want him to experience the book before he sees the adaptation.