Desert Island Essentials

Hmmm Sharpe possibly has his sword, is this something to be worried about?

As for the raisins/fly thing that is what happened to me, I was sitting in the car eating chocolate covered raisins when my grandfather said they were flys...I haven't eaten one since.

I need binoculars (to make it easier to spot the birds I want to take photos of)

Sunglasses

And a pad of sketch paper and a few pencils

Edited by Vimes

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Desert Island Supplies are very slow, they use snail mail. I use Desert Island Superfast Courier Services and my fruit cake has already arrived, so I'll send some over to you guys. Your Christmas cakes sound delectable GG, it's only recently I heard of eating cheese with Christmas cake, and they go superbly well together. (I've always liked sweet things with cheese and for years ate jam and cheese sandwiches for lunch at school every day. Also marmalade and cheese are very yummy on toast.)

I wonder how Sharpe, Chef and Chief are getting on?? Any news of skirmishes breaking out?? Sounds like a pretty volatile mix. And Vimes, have you got Rincewind down from the coconut tree yet? Does he like fruit cake? Perhaps you could tempt him down with that. And you asking for binoculars reminded me I wanted some too, so ............

A pair of binoculars

A camera

A camp oven (I'm going to make bread)

ps give Calypso a big hug and pat from me GG, he sounds adorable.

Edited by poppy

All seems well on the other island, it looks like the have set up camp and are on guard for enemy intruders *shrugs*. Rincewind has come out of the tree and has gone sandwich hunting.

I need more tea!

Some fertilizer (for my plants)

And some cushions

Thanks Poppy, I did give Calypso a big hug from you [he licked my hand] yes, he is adorable and no trouble at all, unlike some of my previous companions here [naming no names!] Maybe you and Vimes could send for a pet each?I will  try the Superfast Couriers in future, they sound great. Yes, My Christmas cake is pretty good [even if I say so myself! :D  ] Can you get Wensleydale cheese where you live? It's mild and creamy [though a hard crumbly cheese.]I't a Yorkshire cheese and the fave cheese of Wallace and Gromit. The sandwich combos you mention sound awful..... and yet?Mild cheese could go well with jam, hmmmn am I brave enough to try it? :wacko: Vimes, what plants are you growing? Get rid of old Rincewind, he is no use to you at all!

I now need,

a stainless steel teapot,

chocolate digestive biscuits

and 3 tomato plants [i want to grow things too]

Edited by gardengirl

Nooo he finds the most wonderful sandwiches in the world! :)

In defence of poppy berry jam and cheese sandwiches are yummy as well as orange marmalade and cheese on French toast.

I just have some veggies and corn.

I agree with you, I should send for my boy, (my pet cat) I am sure that he is missing me by now :)

I need some kitty food

Food bowls

Edited by Vimes

I'd really like a dog but I'm missing my Lion Cubby (cat) and I don't think he'd take kindly to a dog, so ......

Lion Cubby

Whiskers Cat Biscuits (the only thing he will eat. He was a wild cat and turns his nose up at fish)

Since everyone is growing things, I think I'll get a large packet of wild flower seeds to brighten the place up. The watering can will have to wait till next time.

(GG, I haven't tried Wensleydale cheese. It is available here, I see one advertised with cranberries .....a mere $10 - $12 for about 150 gms  :blink:   I usually use Colby)

I'd really like a dog but I'm missing my Lion Cubby (cat) and I don't think he'd take kindly to a dog, so ......

Lion Cubby

Whiskers Cat Biscuits (the only thing he will eat. He was a wild cat and turns his nose up at fish)

Since everyone is growing things, I think I'll get a large packet of wild flower seeds to brighten the place up. The watering can will have to wait till next time.

(GG, I haven't tried Wensleydale cheese. It is available here, I see one advertised with cranberries .....a mere $10 - $12 for about 150 gms  :blink:   I usually use Colby)

wow! I am totally shocked Poppy, by the price of the cheese. It's cheap here [even the one with cranberries in, which is delicious by the way.]Of course, it is made here so no import expense.I have not heard of colby cheese, is it a type of cheddar?Tell me about cheeses in the US? What are the main ones called? Here in England some faves are.....

Wensleydale [Yorkshire cheese, pronounced Yorksher]

Double Gloucester [pronounced Gloster]

Red Leicester [pronounced Lester]

Cheddar [from Somerset]

Now I want a few kilos of cheese sent to me on the Island, with a large box of crackers to go with them [do you call them crackers too?]

Nooo he finds the most wonderful sandwiches in the world! :)

In defence of poppy berry jam and cheese sandwiches are yummy as well as orange marmalade and cheese on French toast.

I just have some veggies and corn.

I agree with you, I should send for my boy, (my pet cat) I am sure that he is missing me by now :)

I need some kitty food

Food bowls

I'm sure that cheese with jam is yummy, in fact I must try it for myself soon. Also, you say that your wizard is ace at 'finding' sandwiches?Well, I will have you know that I made a plate full of cheese and onion pickle [chutney?] sarnies and turned my back for a minute, and guess what? They were gone!! I did hear a faint chuckle but could not see anything, so Rincewind is now in the habit of visiting other Islands...... just letting other folk know this ;)

Odd Rincewind has always found his sandwiches under stones, just the other day he found a plat full of the most yummy coconut biscuits up a coconut tree... :):giggle2:

I need a blanket

Some Pu Erh tea

And a proper tea set (it is sometimes nice to have tea in a tea pot)

Edited by Vimes

wow! I am totally shocked Poppy, by the price of the cheese. It's cheap here [even the one with cranberries in, which is delicious by the way.]Of course, it is made here so no import expense.I have not heard of colby cheese, is it a type of cheddar?Tell me about cheeses in the US? What are the main ones called? Here in England some faves are.....

Wensleydale [Yorkshire cheese, pronounced Yorksher]

Double Gloucester [pronounced Gloster]

Red Leicester [pronounced Lester]

Cheddar [from Somerset]

Now I want a few kilos of cheese sent to me on the Island, with a large box of crackers to go with them [do you call them crackers too?]

I can't tell you about US cheeses because I'm in NZ :D We are the largest dairy produce exporter in the world and still we pay exorbitant prices for our dairy products! :mad: The quote I gave you for the Wensleydale cheese, was one made here.

Colby is similar to cheddar. Our main cheeses are Mild Cheddar, Tasty Cheddar, Colby and Edam with Brie, Camembert, Gouda, Feta and Blue Vein (shudder to that last one) all popular. There are lots of specialty goat and sheep milk cheeses made too.

A 1 kg block of everyday cheese is in the $10- $12 price range. How does that compare to the UK?

I can't tell you about US cheeses because I'm in NZ :D We are the largest dairy produce exporter in the world and still we pay exorbitant prices for our dairy products! :mad: The quote I gave you for the Wensleydale cheese, was one made here.

Colby is similar to cheddar. Our main cheeses are Mild Cheddar, Tasty Cheddar, Colby and Edam with Brie, Camembert, Gouda, Feta and Blue Vein (shudder to that last one) all popular. There are lots of specialty goat and sheep milk cheeses made too.

A 1 kg block of everyday cheese is in the $10- $12 price range. How does that compare to the UK?

How is Lion Cubby settling in? What kind of cat is he? A marmalade? they are my fave kind of cats.

Right! Ha-ha, I assumed that you were from US. However [this is interesting] I think that you write with a 'British' tone, I don't know how else to put it, but that you didn't sound American somehow.The $ signs confused me.Well, the Wensleydale made here costs about £7 a kilo.I don't know how that compares really. I always buy 2 small blocks at a time, which costs £ 3.50    each block is 250 grams, and it's £3.50 altogether, for the 2.I think the UK produces more [as in different] cheeses than any other country, there are just loads.So, how are things in Hobbit country as regards, milk and cream, they should be cheap?

Odd Rincewind has always found his sandwiches under stones, just the other day he found a plat full of the most yummy coconut biscuits up a coconut tree... :):giggle2:

I need a blanket

Some Pu Erh tea

And a proper tea set (it is sometimes nice to have tea in a tea pot)

Yeah right! [as you say in the US!] He finds the sandwiches under stones hey?That's what he tells you. :doh:

What is Pu Erh tea, pray tell?

My ginger biccies have arrived, likewise the fruitcake, so Calypso and me are having a little snack right now on the beach. It's a lovely day here, warm with a slight breeze and calm sea, I may do some fishing later.

I now need,

A set of bone china mugs [i broke the only mug yesterday] so I would like a set of 6, lemon coloured with little flowers on them]

demerara sugar [a small sackful]

a skipping rope as I am getting out of condition with all the lazing about.

*Clears throat* I'm not in America either lol :D

Pu Erh is a fermented tea from Yunnan Province in China. It is made from very old tea plants and the older and longer it is left to ferment for the better it is. I would love to one day try some of the very old Pu Erh tea.

I need a pair of sunglasses (or have I got a pair already?)

Some chocolate biscuits

A few book shelves (my books can't stay in the crate they can in forever) :)

A large sunhat (my nose is getting burnt)

A watering can for my flower garden

A sarong

(Lion Cubby is settling in fine, he goes off exploring for hours but still won't eat fish and comes home for his Whiskas cat biscuits each night) Photos attached.

post-3715-0-53703900-1381804192_thumb.jpg post-3715-0-67298500-1381804289_thumb.jpg

Edited by poppy

I have no idea what I am going to do now, I finished the books I was reading and now can't find anything else to read :(

Edited by Vimes

I need some more cat food

Tree cutters (a few of the bushes around here need a trim before I can't walk around my island anymore)

And more books! I just don't seem to have enough books :)

Thanks for the info from NZ Poppy, also for the pics of Lion Cubby [aww he is cute.]

Vimes, you are a mystery! I assumed you were from US because you say things like 'neat'........ are you from China then?

Athena...........

you haven't sent for anything from Desert Island Suppliers.com for a long time, you must need something?

Now, more of my sandwiches have vanished today [Rincewind does NOT find them under stones!]Calypso chased him off but not before he escaped with my lunch [Wensleydale and tomato sandwiches] I grew the toms myself from plants that I ordered.I have been playing my [wind up] radio today and reading on my solar powered Kindle.What a great life this is, but I now need

Jude Law [well, why not?] :giggle2:

a new box of Earl Grey teabags,

powdered milk.

Edited by gardengirl

I'v said neat? No I'm not in China but am wanting to move there one day :) so close lol.

Sorry for Rincewind.

I need a bread making machine (solar powered of cause)

Flower

Yeast

Edited by Vimes

I'v said neat? No I'm not in China but am wanting to move there one day :) so close lol.

Sorry for Rincewind.

An why Jude Law?

Never mind, short of tying Rincewind up there is nothing you can do, but I have put Calypso 'on guard'.Hmmmmn, not in China but wanting to move there one day eh?Hong Kong!!!yummy noodles.

Do you really have to ask why Jude law? He would liven things up around here and just stand about looking handsome [although he is losing his hair a bit.] :D