Hey everyone

UnderTheDome40

First off, i'd like to give a kind mention to VodkaFan, Dex & Many8 for helping me settle in with some comforting words and advice. You 3 were a big help for me being new here. I really admire this site, I searched for a readers chat blog exactly like this one for a LONG time and I've tryed all the others, none were good. This is a perfect readers club, it's organized and has everything you can possibly be looking to talk about from every genre. Especially Fiction  :D ; great selection for fiction readers like myself. Anyways, i really hope to make friends here to discuss hot topics with and be as involved in as much as possible on my off time. So if ever there's anything going on please feel free to invite me to all the cool stuff that takes place here. I'm justin from jersey, USA!.. You may call me Ranger, it's just a Nickname for being a huge New York Rangers fan, or UTD40 for my SN. I love sports and I study science but reading is the all-time greatest past time in the world. Not enough people read because not enough people try it at an early enough age. I'm 25 none of my friends could I ever see doing this, it's just not as important as getting drunk and acting stupid lol. Anyways that's it for now, I guess, but here's some of my favorite books, see if anyone identifies with my taste in books-

Black Mountain by Greig Beck,  Misery, Under The Dome, The Dead Zone, Black House by Stephen King, The Hunger Games, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Lincoln rhymes series by Jeffrey Deaver, Creepers by David Morrell, Divergent by Veronica Roth, & Off-Season by Jack Ketchum.

Honorable mentions are Intensity by Dean Koontz, ilium & Summer of Night by Dan Simmons, Legacy by David L. Goleman, Instinct by Jeremy Robinson, Ghost Country by Patrick Lee and KoKO by Peter Straub. I feel sad not listing any Tom Piccirilli novels here because he is overall one of my favorite writers and one of the reasons i started reading. He's amazing. And for brownie points; I LOVE tea and crumpets  :biggrin:

Check the link, hilarious ->  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2253579/RJ-Ellory-Crime-writer-posted-fake-online-reviews-books-exposed-trying-change-life-story.html

Hi Ranger! It's nice and friendly here isn't it? I'm still lingering around in the introductions, but I may see you over in the Stephen King threads soon (Pet Semetary was the first 'grown up book' I ever read - I think I was 12! -  and I'm hoping to read some of his short story collections soon). It's also good to see someone who enjoyed the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - I loved the whole trilogy, more so because I wasn't expecting to.

I know exactly what you mean - I'm 24 and almost everyone I know spends their time going to clubs and getting drunk, and then plastering the pictures all over Facebook (young people today! Tsch.). Not enough kids are encouraged to read for fun and this impacts on their lives in so many ways.

Anyway, see you around! :D

By the way: tea and crumpets? Are you sure you're not British? :giggle2:

I know exactly what you mean - I'm 24 and almost everyone I know spends their time going to clubs and getting drunk, and then plastering the pictures all over Facebook (young people today! Tsch.). Not enough kids are encouraged to read for fun and this impacts on their lives in so many ways.

x

I agree! When I was studying (I'm 27), a lot of the students did a lot of partying. Generally I got along better with the ones who didn't do that that much. I've only seen a minor amount of students talking about books, reading (not study-related) or carrying a book with them (that's not study related).

Welcome! I new here too!!

I like Stephen King, I read "The Dead Zone" and "22/11/63"  and The Huner Games too.

About the young people I agree with you, most of my friends go to clubs every weekend and get drunk! The worst part is that they post the pictures on Facebook!

x

I agree! When I was studying (I'm 27), a lot of the students did a lot of partying. Generally I got along better with the ones who didn't do that that much. I've only seen a minor amount of students talking about books, reading (not study-related) or carrying a book with them (that's not study related).

When I was at university I hardly ever saw anyone on my course with a study-related book, never mind a non-study-related one! :giggle2:

Sabry, the FB photos are the worst part . . . that, and the incoherent drunken status updates. It's not big and it's not clever! (If there was a finger-wagging emoticon I would insert it here).

Hi Justin here you are at last. Welcome. You ever read any Jack Vance ?(everybody else here is groaning now it's my usual question). 

Lol it's o k, i do the same every time i finish a good novel, even though i'm done with it, I just cant get it out of my mind so I constantly ask people at the weirdest places if they ever read it lol. But no, i've never read any Jack Vance stuff, you got any good recommendations though? 

Hi Ranger! It's nice and friendly here isn't it? I'm still lingering around in the introductions, but I may see you over in the Stephen King threads soon (Pet Semetary was the first 'grown up book' I ever read - I think I was 12! -  and I'm hoping to read some of his short story collections soon). It's also good to see someone who enjoyed the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - I loved the whole trilogy, more so because I wasn't expecting to.

Anyway, see you around! :D

By the way: tea and crumpets? Are you sure you're not British? :giggle2:

Lol, thank you Signor for your kind & warm welcoming,. it's very friendly here, some great people to talk with. And you can most-definitely find me in the Stephen King section lol, it's one of my favorites already! Haha, that's so true what you said about our age group. I used to be just like that 4 years ago until I thankfully picked up a book and it changed my lifestyle completely, I honestly admit. Wow, yes, wasn't Girl with the Dragon Tattoo awesome?!? I can't wait to read the rest, i really can't. I look forward to the next movie as well. thank you so much again, i look forward to reading more of your comments for sure lol, very nice and funny! Oh and I am actually a quarter english now that i think about it. My girlfriend is full but we're both American. I love English culture

Thanks again to everyone. Oh and Sabry, i was just going to say I love the Dead Zone, its one of my favorites, lol i forgot I already mentioned that in my post. Yeah it was such a good book. As for 11/22/63, i've heard some really good things, haven't tried it yet. Can't wait, it's on my TRL. Oh, and Athene, is your avatar from the book Ghost Country? It's not identical to front cover but it reminds me of it a lot.

Edited by UnderTheDome40

Lol, thank you Signor for your kind & warm welcoming,. it's very friendly here, some great people to talk with. And you can most-definitely find me in the Stephen King section lol, it's one of my favorites already! Haha, that's so true what you said about our age group. I used to be just like that 4 years ago until I thankfully picked up a book and it changed my lifestyle completely, I honestly admit. Wow, yes, wasn't Girl with the Dragon Tattoo awesome?!? I can't wait to read the rest, i really can't. I look forward to the next movie as well. thank you so much again, i look forward to reading more of your comments for sure lol, very nice and funny! Oh and I am actually a quarter english now that i think about it. My girlfriend is full but we're both American. I love English culture

You're very welcome! It's great to hear how you came over from the dark side by discovering books, and how you're part British! Even though you're still technically on the 'dark side' of the Atlantic. :giggle2:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is very awesome, and the other two are almost as good. I recently watched the film with Daniel Craig in but didn't like it that much. Apparently the original Swedish versions are better?

I look forward to seeing you around here! You'll probably find me lurking in the fantasy section soon.   :bat2: (<--- closest thing to a dragon I could find :D )

Lol it's o k, i do the same every time i finish a good novel, even though i'm done with it, I just cant get it out of my mind so I constantly ask people at the weirdest places if they ever read it lol. But no, i've never read any Jack Vance stuff, you got any good recommendations though? 

Haha hyper.gif now you've done it. I always tell people to start off with The Blue World .....Poppyshake read it, her first SF book I believe..

Edited by vodkafan