What's up in July?

frankie

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three weeks till kids break up for school holidays, four weeks till we pick up the new puppy (still no name but have booked her first training class!) :)

Trying some new methods to deal with headaches/migraines, going for food intolerance testing next Wednesday and Osteopathy next Friday.. :)

I was away with the cadets over the weekend at a competition and we are still awaiting the results! In other news I dont have anything planned this week so I'm hoping to catch up on all my housework and stuff!

Happy Summer, you guys! :D

Good luck with your migraine method testing, Chalie!  I hope it goes well.

I had a really nice weekend up at the cabin, and the weather was perfection.  We cleaned everything in anticipation of my family coming for vacation, and yesterday morning had breakfast with our neighbors who filled us in on their recent river cruise through Germany.

This week will be a short one, since we are off work for Independence Day (aka the 4th of July).  We're headed downtown again to watch the fireworks over the Mississippi River, so here's hoping for decent weather! 

Have a wonderful week, Everyone :D

Last 5 weeks with my car....taking the kids as many places as I can.

Are you selling your car?

We are getting back to normal around here, after the car accident.  Husband is much better, and we've taken to across the lake trips again.  Went shopping today.  I bought two new pair of platform heels. 

It's HOT. HOT, HOT!  oh, and humid.  yeech

Hey guys! Happy summer!

I know I've been away a while, half a year to be exact.. I just remembered this forum today, and how friendly and homey it feels. I thought I'd drop in and catch up with you all on what you're doing, and tell you how I'm doing. 

I just graduated, so I have my degree now, but no job sadly. I'll be applying for substitute positions soon. Hoping to find one, but I am determined to have a bit of a summer holiday first, because after 6 years of studying I need a break. So far, summer's rainy. I'm moved back in with my parents in Norway, and they are wonderful of course. But I'll miss Krakow so much.

In the process of moving back home, my boyfriend and I had to quit our apartment (of course). We're now in a long distance relationship, I suppose, though he's staying with me at my parents' for the summer. I'm really torn about the whole boyfriend-long distance thing, it's.. it's become quite complicated, to be honest. I'm not sure how sure I am that we're meant to be together anymore. I can say this here cause it's not like he ever checks forums, definitely not book forums. It's been causing me some grief for the past two months. I'll try not to get angsty about it, though.

My sister is getting married next summer! Which is great =) She found a lovely man who makes her happy, and between them they have four children. I do like extending our family, and as long as she's happy, I'm happy. She picked me as maid of honour which I'm really happy about, too. Even though I'll have to hold a speech!

I've been reading Ben Goldacre's "Bad Pharma" and "Bad Science" lately (simultaneously). Enjoying them, even though non fiction isn't usually my cup of tea. It is my area of interest, after all.

Love, Jenny

Nice to see you Hyzenthlay :)

It's hot here.  Really really hot & humid.  Temps have been in the high 90's close to 100.  Today after work I am escaping to my sister's to spend the weekend in the pool.  Can't wait.  Also bought a new car last Monday...well, new to me anyway :D

Not sure if any of you have seen it, but there's a charity for Bristol Children's Hospital who are fundraising by displaying in and around Bristol a collection of 80 Gromit statues that have been decorated by artists and celebrities.  At the end of the summer, they'll be auctioned off for charity.  As I live fairly close to Bristol, I've downloaded the map of all the Gromit statues, and I'm hoping to make a few visits and photograph as many as I can.  I might try and get my first few in this weekend, but it might be a bit too hot for too much walking around the city.  I've got until early September, so there's no rush, and I've already driven past a couple so I know where to look for my first ones! :D

If anyone's interested, there are more details at gromitunleashed.org.uk

It is hot, hot, hot here and set to get even hotter - 30 degrees on Sunday and I have to work. I just hope that it stays this way for the rest of the month, as this time next week I shall probably be in Barnstaple waiting for boat to Lundy. :smile:

Could a mod pin this topic and unpin the June one?

We're going to have a BBQ soon, I'm looking forward to it. Two days ago I spend several hours in the kitchen making several salads and preparing dinner. It was delicious!

My presentation is in a few days now, I'm quite stressed but gladly it'll all be over soon! I feel insecure so am going to practise some more in the weekend.

Nice to see you Hyzenthlay :)

It's hot here.  Really really hot & humid.  Temps have been in the high 90's close to 100.  Today after work I am escaping to my sister's to spend the weekend in the pool.  Can't wait.  Also bought a new car last Monday...well, new to me anyway :D

What did you buy. Yep, summer is starting to get a little warm.

See talisman's post. She thinks that 86 degrees F is hot. :) Heck, that is just a nice fall day.

Lovely day so far, starting with collecting a parcel from the post office and opening it to find some presents from Kay, then off to Bristol for coffee while I read another couple of chapters of my book, then did a bit of Gromit hunting, bought some new shoes and trainers, then visited my Dad and watched some Top Gear with him.  Finally back home for the tennis (come ON Sabine!!!!) and a sort out of the photos I've taken today. :smile2:

Edited by chesilbeach

See talisman's post. She thinks that 86 degrees F is hot. :) Heck, that is just a nice fall day.

Good job I don't live where you do then ! The temperature in the home where I work must have been at least 90 today (it actually felt cool when I left work today and finally went outside), which is just a little too hot to be working in - especially when you have to wear the sort of uniform I do. Still, it could have been worse - I could have been playing tennis ! :smile:  

:rolol:  Oh, yeah.

But do all you guys in hotter climes have air conditioning? Very few in the UK do, because we so rarely would need it.. I don't think it's too bad at the moment, it hit close to 30 in Surrey yesterday but the humidity is low so the shade is quite bearable and nice, it's just a little too warm upstairs in my house and that will build with each warm day so I may dig out the fans later..

Reasonably quiet day planned here, taking the kids puppy equipment shopping later to get collars, leads, toys etc then maybe grab some lunch, them it will be time to watch Andy win the men's Wimbledon final... :) :)

But do all you guys in hotter climes have air conditioning? Very few in the UK do, because we so rarely would need it.. I don't think it's too bad at the moment, it hit close to 30 in Surrey yesterday but the humidity is low so the shade is quite bearable and nice, it's just a little too warm upstairs in my house and that will build with each warm day so I may dig out the fans later..

Reasonably quiet day planned here, taking the kids puppy equipment shopping later to get collars, leads, toys etc then maybe grab some lunch, them it will be time to watch Andy win the men's Wimbledon final... :) :)

Had a busy weekend here.  My daughter had her end of term dance recital, so dress rehearsal Friday night, show Saturday and Sunday.  Dads fiance made a surprise visit (she lives about 6 hours away).  Yesterday we all went roller skating with her and Dad, plus my sister and her kids, and my Mum and her husband.  It was a great afternoon.  Today we finally found a good bike for my son that I could afford.  The one we got was half the usual price in a clearance sale, and we managed to get the last one.  He's really excited as it's a diamondback, a brand we never thought we'd be able to get.   

Crikey, that sounds like a busy time bookmonkey!

We had a lovely afternoon in the garden at my parent's place yesterday. I am not a sun person, so had fun working out shade trajectories with the two giant parasols - while my (seated) father and husband yelled instructions! :giggle2:  A lovely lunch and an afternoon of chatter and laughter. What could be better? :smile:

We have had the air conditioning going steadily for about five days now as the humidity pushes the temp up to about 37C.  I just hide indoors, the heat is coupled with heavy rain showers which makes the atmosphere much more muggy.  We're looking forward to seeing our son and family here on July 25th, they are currently holidaying in Florida.  They live in Yellowknife which is in the Northwest Territories of Canada, way up north near the land of the midnight sun and the Northern Lights.  We haven't seen them in two years so are really looking forward to their visit.

We've had the central a/c going since, either the end of April, or beginning of May. It's on a thermostat, so doesn't run continuously, but keeps the temp level in the house. 

It's raining right now and it looks like one of those all day rains, so the a/c isn't going at the moment.  It's only about 76F/24.4C at the moment.  That'll change as soon as the rain stops.  It'll shoot up to the normal summer temp of 90F/32.2C to 93-97F/33.9C-36.1C.  All with high humidity.

Those high temps will last till the middle of October, then cool down a bit and have some nice weather.  Finally, in December it'll be real fall weather. :)

Of course it's all flexible.  heh

We drove across the lake to New Orleans yesterday.  Didn't really plan it, we left the house in the mid morning, and were going grocery shopping.  Then decided to go to the south shore.  It's a nice drive, the lake is 24 miles wide, over open water. Beautiful lake.  All in all, it's about a 80 mile round trip.  We mucked around shopping over there, had a pizza lunch, bought some books and came back across the lake, did our grocery shopping and came home tuckered. :)

Had a nice cold Vodka and tonic, read and talked and finally collapsed into bed.

Good day. :D

Edited by pontalba