Your Book Activity - July 2013

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't do any reading at all yesterday. :hide:

I did, however, add far too many books to my wishlist from The Guardian's Not The Booker Prize nominations, so that counts as book activity!  :D 

I plan on doing a lot of reading today, so hopefully I shall get a fair way into The Brothers Sisters (which I'm enjoying a lot).

Her reviews have made me add Lady Into Fox and The Moving Toyshop on my wishlist, I hope you really like them (and the others, too :D)

Ditto! :D

Picked up The Talented Mr Ripley by Patricia Highsmith for a £1  :smile:

Ooh, excellent! I loved this book.

I've finished The Missing Manuscript of Jane Austen and I enjoyed it a lot. Quite a clever premise from the author and a good way to explain some of the characters and scenes in the Jane Austen manuscript she has written herself.  Thanks Kay - a great choice! :smile2:

Started High Tide by Hugh Hastings which was a children's book we bought on holiday in Cornwall by a local publisher.

Loved Eye of the Needle - one of the best of Ken Follett's in my opinion - and I thought the film was as good as the book too.

I've not seen the film but i loved the book i have quite a few of his books on my shelves as they turn up regularly in the charity shops  :smile:

About 100 pages are left in George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire 2: A Clash of Kings. I'm really enjoying it for the most part.

One of my daughters is buying me the first book for my birthday.

Well i finished The Little Disturbances Of Men  Grace Paley this lunchtime & can honestly say the best thing it had going for it was that it was short. I need something to soothe my mojo so i'm starting my library book Shift  Hugh Howey

I am currently reading Empires Of The Sea: The Final Battle For The Mediterranean, 1521-1580 by Roger Crowley, slow going with this one as it is quite a hard read. From the opening few chapters I have read so far the author makes it read very much like fiction rather than non-fiction which makes it a little easier to read, almost a good introduction to non-fiction for me having not read a lot before the last couple of months.

The second book I am reading is one which was one of Amazon's Kindle deal of the days this week, Walden on Wheels: On the Open Road from Debt to Freedom by Ken Ilgunas, this is a very interesting memoir of a young American who left college with over $30,000 student debt and became obsessed with not being burdened by this debt for the rest of his working life. He set out to be as frugal as possible and try to pay off the debt as quickly as possible. As I am very interested in saving money and being frugal myself I'm really enjoying this so far and think I will get this finished in the next couple of days.

I only started this yesterday, but I'm already about half way through 'Love Over Scotland' the third 'Scotland Street' novel by Alexander McCall Smith. I wasn't too sure about this series after reading the first novel, but I'm happy I persisted with this, as I now love it!

I'm still working my way through Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I've found it a little slow going in places and I was tempted to read another lighter book along side it this morning but I'm glad I didn't now. Hopefully I'll have it finished tomorrow if all goes well and I get plenty of reading in.

The second book I am reading is one which was one of Amazon's Kindle deal of the days this week, Walden on Wheels: On the Open Road from Debt to Freedom by Ken Ilgunas, this is a very interesting memoir of a young American who left college with over $30,000 student debt and became obsessed with not being burdened by this debt for the rest of his working life.

I bought this one as well, and hope to get to it in the next month or so.

I'm still working my way through Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I've found it a little slow going in places and I was tempted to read another lighter book along side it this morning but I'm glad I didn't now. Hopefully I'll have it finished tomorrow if all goes well and I get plenty of reading in.

I attempted to read this several times years ago. Each time, I would start with enthusiasm, but that somehow dried up towards the end, and I've never actually finished it (aside from skimming the end chapters). I'm still determined to give it a proper read though, which is why I've never gotten rid of the book (though it has sat on my bookshelf for probably 15 odd years).

I only started this yesterday, but I'm already about half way through 'Love Over Scotland' the third 'Scotland Street' novel by Alexander McCall Smith. I wasn't too sure about this series after reading the first novel, but I'm happy I persisted with this, as I now love it!

Glad to hear you're enjoying them, Karen, I like that series too. You should also try (if you haven't already), the Isabel Dalhousie books he writes, starting with The Sunday Philosophy Club, which are my favourites of the books he writes. :smile2:

I love this series Karen, and I second the Isabel Dalhousie books chesil suggested too.

Glad to hear you're enjoying them, Karen, I like that series too. You should also try (if you haven't already), the Isabel Dalhousie books he writes, starting with The Sunday Philosophy Club, which are my favourites of the books he writes. :smile2:

I love this series Karen, and I second the Isabel Dalhousie books chesil suggested too.

I must admit the first one is a bit far fetched in places

Ian Rankin in a jacuzzi!?

, but the second novel in the series is brilliant and it just keeps getting better. I must admit that I haven't heard of 'The Sunday Philosophy Club', but will put this book down for future reading.

I'm currently reading Emily Giffin - Babyproof. I wanted something different after reading A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin, so I picked something that's easier to read and less complicated (by that I mean, lesser storylines and lesser main characters). I don't really know much about this book or author, I bought it at a book fair because it sounded good and because it was cheap. So far it's quite good, I'm really enjoying it.

I felt the need for some non fiction, so I've started Estates by Lynsey Hanley (recommended on here).

I'm not far in but it's already fascinating.

That really is an excellent book, Alexi.  I can bore for Britain on the folly of this country's housing policy (or lack of one), but Lynsey Hanley is far more entertaining than I am!  I know you'll enjoy it - it's thought-provoking but very readable at the same time.

I've abandoned Replay for the time being :( It's a great book but my mojo's just not on board!! :(:banghead:   Also tried starting The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price Purveyor of Superior Funerals and while it was great, I abandoned it, too. I just can't focus on books! :(  Then I started re-reading a true crime book and so far it's stuck. I think it's because it's non-fiction and a re-read, and I really liked it the first time. Although I don't know if I'm that bothered to continue reading it tonight... :rolleyes: I wish I had my darling mojo back. 

That really is an excellent book, Alexi.  I can bore for Britain on the folly of this country's housing policy (or lack of one), but Lynsey Hanley is far more entertaining than I am!  I know you'll enjoy it - it's thought-provoking but very readable at the same time.

II read quite a bit this morning and I think you're absolutely right - her writing style is really engaging even while she's really making you think about the attitudes that have got us to where we are today. Successive governments have really let us down with housing policy - IMO - and no one seems to be willing to come up with a solution.

I attempted to read this several times years ago. Each time, I would start with enthusiasm, but that somehow dried up towards the end, and I've never actually finished it (aside from skimming the end chapters). I'm still determined to give it a proper read though, which is why I've never gotten rid of the book (though it has sat on my bookshelf for probably 15 odd years).

I have just finished this book and I have some really mixed feelings on it. I can see how you start it with enthusiasm and then put it aside. In the end it just didn't move me in the way that I had hoped it would.

I just noticed your post, and was wondering if TSPC book was the one I've been thinking about giving a go at... He's got so many different series and so many numerous titles to each series that it can make a sane person crazy! :D I think the series I'm looking for has to do with clubs and books...? :shrug:

I just noticed your post, and was wondering if TSPC book was the one I've been thinking about giving a go at... He's got so many different series and so many numerous titles to each series that it can make a sane person crazy! :D I think the series I'm looking for has to do with clubs and books...? :shrug:

I don't think he has a series relating to books? :dunno:  

TSPC is part of a series centred around Isabel Dalhousie who is the editor of an academic journal on ethics, and in each book she solves a (usually fairly minor) mystery, but because of her background in ethics, there is a lot of contemplation on the moral implications of the people who are involved in the mystery as well as her own actions in solving it.  Alongside that, there is the story of her every day (rather privileged) life.  Very gentle reads, but humorous and I find them rather thought provoking.

I don't think he has a series relating to books? :dunno:  

TSPC is part of a series centred around Isabel Dalhousie who is the editor of an academic journal on ethics, and in each book she solves a (usually fairly minor) mystery, but because of her background in ethics, there is a lot of contemplation on the moral implications of the people who are involved in the mystery as well as her own actions in solving it.  Alongside that, there is the story of her every day (rather privileged) life.  Very gentle reads, but humorous and I find them rather thought provoking.

Hm... I read that bit but it doesn't sound like the one I was thinking... But then again, the one I have in mind was a book I came across years ago and maybe my mind's done tricks to myself... I should see if I have the book on my wishlist on reading log... I wonder if it was a book I saw in Kylie's bookcase back in 2010...

I finished High Tide by Hugh Hastings this afternoon - pretty good, but had a feeling of nostalgia reading it, felt a bit like I was a kid reading The Famous Five all over again. Enjoyed it though. :smile2:

Have started a quick in between read - Our Songbirds by Matt Sewell. Charming little book with a short description of each of the songbirds found in the UK, alongside a charming little painting of the bird being described. Cheeky descriptions and lovely illustrations, and I'm absolutely loving it.

Hm... I read that bit but it doesn't sound like the one I was thinking... But then again, the one I have in mind was a book I came across years ago and maybe my mind's done tricks to myself... I should see if I have the book on my wishlist on reading log... I wonder if it was a book I saw in Kylie's bookcase back in 2010...

I had a look at your wishlist and I can only see Corduroy Mansions by Alexander McCall Smith on it - that's a story set around a single apartment building in London, that was written in the style of Charles Dickens with each chapter being published in a newspaper on a daily basis, then the whole lot collected into a single book at the end of the story.