What's up in June?

chesilbeach

We are leaving Friday morning for Pennsylvania. My wife's side of the family are having a family reunion at a State Park in Penn. We are staying two nights in a nice hotel in PA.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

naw, a short drive, about 375 miles each way. They are forecasting rain on Saturday for the reunion. However, there will be a large covered pavilion but it will create havoc with the sport games.

I don't think there are any independent book sellers where I live - unless you count the children's book shop in Reigate, but I don't have kids so that's no use to me.

The meeting with my sisters care team went well yesterday. Coran and I have agreed to tentatively re-start contact with her. To begin with it will be supervised by the care team, for an hour every three months. There will be though very strict ground rules - that if she decides not to be there, she will have to wait another three months to see us, that we of course must be there though regardless, and that if she decides to leave and then come back into the room, she will not get extra time. This will over time help to build consistency and teach her responsibility - something that has been all too lacking in her life. It has been a difficult few years with all that she has put us through, but she is still my sister, and I owe it to her to at least try. I am sure though that it will not be easy - for either of us. 

Later on today I have an appointment at the eye clinic at Dorking hospital to get some tests done on my right eye. It has been watering on and of since about November last year. Even though it stopped as soon as I made the appointment (typical) I still need to go, to make sure all is okay, as you can't be too careful with eyes. I can't say I am looking forward to it though.

Still, 2 weeks from now I shall be sitting on board MS Oldenburg at Bideford Quay waiting to sail off to Lundy for a fortnight. I hope the weather gets a bit better !  

Edited by Talisman

Good luck with your eye appointment!

Two days ago my boyfriend and I visisted the Robocup 2013. It's an event, held over a few days, where teams from around the world have competitions to see whose robots are the best, in various categories. I like the Midsize League the best, they are the soccer playing robots that are the most famous. The team from Eindhoven (the Netherlands), Tech United, are generally very good, they became World Champion last year and the several years before that they kept coming second. I don't know what it was before then. Anyway, I'm hoping they do really well this year. So far they have been doing well. We watched a competition, as well as other robots from other categories too. My dad is very involved in this, it's a part of his job (although not a big part consider the whole year). He helps and supports the team (he's professor at the university in Eindhoven, the TU/e) and he talks with the press. It was great to go to the event and take a look at everything, I love the soccer playing robots the most (it is the aim that they can beat human players in 2050), it's just fun to see them play.

I'm quite tired now from all of it, even though we went on the quietest day. It's at times like this, where I can't just go do something fun that I want to do, that I really feel the downside of my sensory issues. I'm low on energy, which means I'm also low on patience and processing ability (so talking with people or any other input, is pretty difficult). I was hoping I'd feel better today than yesterday, but so far I feel still tired. Hopefully it'll be a bit better later on, but I'm not sure as generally in the morning I feel the best. Yesterday afternoon I felt better than yesterday morning though, so there is hope. Hopefully I'll feel better in a few days, at the very least after my presentation is all done in less than two weeks.

Had a lovely day today - started off with a gorgeous morning walk around Westonbirt Arboretum.  I love the walk around the Silk Wood there, as it's not too long (takes me about an hour and a quarter), none of the hills are too steep, and I love visiting my favourite trees each time.

post-4870-0-13990100-1372520299_thumb.jpgpost-4870-0-39939800-1372520300_thumb.jpgpost-4870-0-54547500-1372520301_thumb.jpg

We then carried on to Tetbury and had a lovely wander around the shops, including a visit to The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop, and as I mentioned earlier, it's Independent Booksellers Week 2013, so I made sure to buy a book there - Fibber in the Heat by Miles Jupp.

Another little drive took us onto Cirencester, and another quick mooch around with a stop off in Octavia's bookshop, and another book purchased - My Animals and Other Family by Clare Balding.