Camilla Läckberg's novels

Anyone read them, or some of them?

I am on my second Camilla Läckberg crime novel. I've read The Stone Cutter before, and now The Angel Maker

In my opinion, the perfect go-to-bed books. I listen to The angel maker on audio book while in bed at night. It's mystery, but not in such a horrific tone that will give me nightmares. I will definitely read more from her. I like that the stories often plays out in different times, and get connected somehow. The present day characters get legacies. Not very good legacies, but enough to make them understand why they are where they are in life. And realize how hard it is to escape your legacy, even after a long period of time has passed.

post-8563-0-25394300-1365008027_thumb.jpg
post-8563-0-02948400-1364842243_thumb.jpg

I've read The Ice Princess and The Preacher. I found the chapters were too long, But I did like the characters. I put them to one side and read other books and have now gone back to them and am reading The Stonecutter and am on page 250.
You know when it takes you 1/2 hour to do something easy, Yeah!

Bought The Drowning today.

Edited by dex

I have read all of her books and thoroughly enjoy them.  I like the way that there is a police story at the centre of each novel but the sub plot with Erica and Patrick and how they develop through the course of the books.

Have just read her most recent offering The Lost Boy and am already dying to read her next offering which is due out next year.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read all of the books from this series which have been published in English and are available in the US (the Lost Boy isn't available here yet, unfortunately).

I have enjoyed them very much, however, I think Läckberg wrote herself into a bit of a corner in The Hidden Child and the earlier books which describe Erika's mother. I can't imagine how a woman with the issues she had would have ever gotten married.

I'm about 1/2 way through the hidden child at the moment, Patrik is juggling being a parent with being a police officer. He's taking his child to the police station to be looked after by Annika and meeting up with his ex wife for morning walks ,she has a new child aswell. As the series. progresses she seems to have become obsessed with all her characters having children. Lots of them.

Edited by dex

• 2 weeks later...

i absolutely love Camilla Lackberg, her main characters are so interesting and have levels to them. my least favourite would have to be the drowning, just a i didn't really get into it. As others have commented the length of her chapters need to be rethought, she could make them much shorter so it would read better. 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting fact: Camilla just separated from husband Martin Melin, who is a police officer and won the first edition of "Survivor" in Sweden. But her character Martin Molin, a police officer & collegue of Patrik, is NOT named after him. In fact, they were not even together when Camilla created her characters. It was a coinsidence. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Dex, you wrote, that you've read The Ice Princess. I want to read that, but I don't know what is the book about. Would you write me a few words of the main story or characters?

Her different novels are in connection  or all the books are about something absolutely different?

I've just finished,The ice princess - Camilla Lackberg. I enjoyed it ,but with the christmas break I just didn't feel like reading it. I liked the characters of Patrik and Erica. As usual in cop fiction there's a bumbling boss and quite a few other stereotypes. I look forward to trying the rest.

The Blurb

Returning to her hometown after the funeral of her parents, writer Erica Falck finds a community on the edge of tragedy. The death of her childhood friend, Alex, is just the beginning. Her wrists slashed, Her body frozen in an icr cold bath, it seems like she's taken her own life.

Meanwhile, local detective Patrik Hedstrom is following his own suspicions about the case. It's only when they start working together that the truth begins to emerge about a small town with a deeply disturbing past.

Thoughts

I like the characters and I like the outline of all the stories. The presentation with really long chapters isn't to my taste, I always found myself wanting to stop reading 5 to 7 pages from the end of the chapter.

Babies, Just like the saying about Buses 'There'll be another one any minute' Being Born, Being Adopted, By main characters, Being taken to the police station to be looked after by a helpful colleague. Witnesses who can't hang around, because you've guessed it ' My daughters having a Baby.'

I did find a couple of the books a chore to read. I still intend to read the lost boy at some point, but I do have a lot of books to read at the moment, so I'm not in a particular hurry.

Edited by dex