Age certificates on books?

ian

Now, it isn't something I would naturally be in favour of, but I hit upon a bit of a problem last week in a bookshop. I was just browsing really, not really intending to buy anything, but I was mooching around the graphic novels section as it was my son's 11th birthday coming up, so I was prepared to buy him something if something leapt out at me. On a table I found a book - one of those type where you decide how the story progresses. You read page 1, then it's " To go left, go to page 14, to go right go to page 53" (and what are those types of book called by the way?). The story, and everything on the table was about Zombies.

Great, I thought - every 11 year old loves Zombies, and the adventure type story-line will probably grab him, where an ordinary novel wouldn't.  But then I began to get worried, Some of the books on the table where obviously adult. I flicked through the book, trying to find any obvious swearing or other inappropriate content, but short of reading the whole thing, there was no way of knowing. If the book had had some sort of guide to the age suitability, similar to dvd's or computer games, I would have known. As it was, I didn't buy it, as I wasn't sure.

As I say, I'm not advocating age restrictions on books, it's just that now he's 11, this is the first time this issue has come up for me. I'm sure there must be other parents out there that have had similar problems? Would age guidance on books bother you?

Edited by ian

I find it a bit of a minefield too Ian, I have a nearly 14 year old son and 12 year old daughter and I've actually read some books just to see if they are appropriate for them, and in the case of some definitely not! So many books are marketed as teen reads but that's not particularly helpful?. Some books are now putting recommended ages on them which is great and I also came across a website that can be useful...

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/

This book has been helpful too, as much for suggestions as guidelines..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Teen-Book-Guide-Guides/dp/1408104377/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363094704&sr=8-1

Hope that helps a little.

:)

I see what you mean, but I also remember being about 11 and being really annoyed that they wouldn't let me take books out from the adult section in the library (although I did just used to get my older sister to come with me and use her card).  

I think maybe just age guidance, for example a warning on the back to say it uses bad language or contains violence, would be good (I think this is what you meant anyway ian). But I don't think they should be restricted in any way either. If an 11 year old picked up a book of Shakespeare and was told they couldn't buy it because it had swearing in, I'd find it pretty ridiculous.

The main problem I find in teenage books isn't the swearing or the violence, my kids know what language is and isn't acceptable and I don't think reading the odd word will do them too much harm, same with the violence.. It's the sexual content, and some of these teen books can be waaaay too detailed for my liking... My 12 year old daughter was just asking last week if she could read Looking for Alaska by John Green.. Fortunately I'd had a brief read of it last year as within the first chapter or two a sexual act was detailed that whilst my children may have scant knowledge of, I really don't want them reading about just yet!

The problem is that children of the same age often have different reading abilities and comprehension, so what might be demanding for one eleven year old child may not be for another who is ready for something a little more advanced. 

Putting age ranges on books may sound like a good idea on face value but it also puts off older readers from trying perfectly good books from a lower age range (because "I'm too old for that"), and a child that struggles with reading may find it embarrassing that they are stuck on books labelled for younger children (something that may put them off reading all together).

Personally, I believe something that advises on the content of the book is preferable to stating an age range.

Manga books do both, by the way.

Ian

Some of the books have age suggestions on the backs,but most don't . This is a sticky subject, I think,because it's hard to gauge a book for every single kid. I have grandkids who are at such a high reading level,they can read any book I can,with no trouble. The problem being,as you say, the appropriate content might be a problem.

There was a huge debate about that here in our local libraries. Parents tend to use the libray as an after-school babysitting service,so kids will invade the library at 3 pm like ants to a picnic. They are therefore free to grab any book off the shelf and read it.

When I was a kid, they had kid's cards and adult cards,so the library sorta had a rule regarding what books I could check out .

We have parents now who come in and throw a  fit if their kid brings home a book they don't think appropriate. They come in and chew out the librarian for allowing the kid to check it out.

Our libraries have a pretty loose system now regarding reading material. They say it's not their job to police what the kids check out ,so they have implemented a new card system. A parent can get a Family Card --that way,everyone in their house uses the same card. If they get that card, they can also put filters on it for the kids, saying that the kids are only allowed to pick out books for their age level ,giving the librarians some say in what is checked out .

To my knowledge, if they DONT have a restricted card, the only 2 books I have ever heard the librarian refuse to check out to a kid ,was the Howard Stern bio (which was probably pretty trashy) ,and a book on bomb-making that you can request from Cleveland library. 2 teen boys asked to reserve it and the librarian refused them .

I myself cant quite see why a book like that should be available to anyone, but it must be.

Life is much more complicated today than it was when I was growing up --too many loose rules today, which usually get abused when people push them .

I can see why people would want age certificates on books, or at the very least a mention of the amount of violence/swearing/sexual references, etc. I wouldn't mind the latter for myself. Maybe that sounds odd, but I'm put off by a book that has any the aforementioned elements in spades (is that the right expression?).. I don't mind a bit of ie. violence but it shouldn't be too much.

As for children, in their case it's more of a necessity. There are some books that I own that have an age rating on them (mainly children's books, really), but at the very least warnings should be given for the topics I mentioned, or perhaps a very global age rating for certain children's books. Our library had an age rating (back in my old town), they had A, B and C categories for three different age categories. A was books to read to a child, I believe for 8 years or younger, B was for 8-12 and C was 12-16+. If I remember correctly. I kinda read everything, myself XD, without paying attention to the categories (I could understand it all at that age). I don't remember ever reading a book that was violent, that had sexual references or a lot of swearing. But maybe the library screened these books for it, I'm not sure. These books were all meant as children's or teenager's books (this of course was before the whole YA paranormal got popular). Of course in the case of adult books, some of them do have inappropriate things for children in them. As I said I wouldn't mind a brief description on the book detailing these if present. I guess though for that to happen you need to have an organisation who reads all the new books that come out.

There may be websites detailing this information (ie. the link given earlier), best thing to do as a parent so far is to either read the book yourself (or part of it) or look on such a website, ask people who've read the book, etc. I'm not a parents but that's what I can think of, at the moment. For myself I do try to read reviews (ie. on GoodReads) and if they say the book has a lot of swearing, I decide not to buy the book.

I think it would be a good idea to place warnings about content material on the back of the book. Just like they do with PC games etc. It's the parent's choice if they want their children to read the book or not, and how much a parent allows their children to choose their own books. It would certainly be good as some children are mature readers and will read adults books etc far before a certain age and they should be warned, both parents and children, if their is any content such as explicit sexual scenes or anything like that.

I remember reading a few articles about introducing some sort of age ratings for childrens books last year.  I've dug out a couple on the Guardian's website (one reporting a pro/one rebuttal against):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/jul/09/childrens-books-age-certifications-gp-taylor

http://www.guardian.co.uk/childrens-books-site/2012/jul/10/charlie-higson-reading-ages-debate

I don't have kids, so I have to admit, I've not really seriously considered it, but I based on your original post ian, I wonder if there should be some sort of parental guidance advice available for the books somewhere?  I read a YA book at the weekend, and when I looked at it on Amazon, I noticed a review complaining about how sexually active the 17 year old heroine was, and that she was far too young.  There was nothing explicit in the book, but there was an implication of the girl and her long-term, serious boyfriend sleeping together, so I was surprised by the comment.  This makes me think about some of the comments in Charlie Higson's rebuttal in that who would decide how to rate the books?  Perhaps what's needed is something like the BBFC's parental guidance app/website for films, which contain details of what you can expect within the films they rate?

I think you are right Chesilbeach with a rating criteria given as we find on dvds. I find the comments on dvds useful when looking for something suitable but not necessarily childish for a youngster.

Maybe we should have a little rectangle on all books with hints at it's contents.

I'd be against an "age rating" being displayed on books, but a nice, clear bit on the back that lists things that are included, e.g. "This book contains swearing and descriptions of violent and sexual acts" or something to that effect would be very helpful to worried parents.

I'd be against an "age rating" being displayed on books, but a nice, clear bit on the back that lists things that are included, e.g. "This book contains swearing and descriptions of violent and sexual acts" or something to that effect would be very helpful to worried parents.

Not only would this be appropriate for children but also more vulnerable adults or adults with different life experiences.  For instance there is a website for people who suffer depression indicating what books and movies contain graphic scenes of suicide and I felt that this was a good idea, but when you are in a store you need to have that informatin to hand and there should be that Sky Movies style rating where there are danger signs relating to swearing, sex, violence and sexual agression. 

I might be among the minority here,but when our kids got to the age of about 13 or 14, I stepped out of their reading selections. I think by that time, they are old enough to make decisions about things like that on their own .

It seems so long ago now, but I remember coming to that point in their lives where you knew they woukd be out in public, with friends,etc,and would be making lots of decisions without our input . You can't follow your kids around and monitor their every move when they reach a certain age. They make their own decisions on almost everything at that point,so all you can hope as a parent, is that you have instilled in them a good moral compass .It's a strange feeling when they start dating,going to movies ,hanging out with friends,and you have to let go of them to a huge extent and trust their judgement.

I dont necessarily think it's a bad idea if they read books that have difficult subject matter that maybe hasn't been discussed at home. Living in the place we do, we aren't able to experience or see many things first-hand,so the only way you can get the information sometimes is to read about it .

So I think kids should be able to read about whatever they are curious about when they reach their teen years ,unless they feel comfortable enough with the adults in their lives to discuss things with them.

As a rule, most teens I've ever known get to a point with adults where they are seen as "living on another planet",so they'd rather find out from any other means than TALKING TO AN ADULT .

Thanks for all the answers everyone. As several of you have said, I was more coming from the point of wanting a content rating on the back rather than actually restricting books from a certain age.

My copy of Newes from the Dead by Mary Hooper has this on the back...

Warning_zpsee3b5016.jpg

Which I think is good, as lots of her books are aimed at younger readers (I think this, combined with the 'blurb', gives parents an idea of what children are going to encounter in the book).

I wouldn't necessarily like an age rating - just a warning of some of the content like above.  :)

• 1 month later...

I agree to a point that parents should be able to see when a book contains swearing and sexual content but I remember when I was a teenager and I would spend a lot of time trying to watch 18 certificate films. I think if I had seen a book that told me it contained explicit content it would have just made me more determined to read it!

• 2 months later...

I think that books should have age restrictions on the same way films do. As it stands, any ten year old can walk into a book shop and but Fifty Shades of Grey and no one would be able to stop them. If they had age restrictions on at least children wouldn't be able to buy inappropriate books.