pontalba's 2013 reading list

pontalba

Ratlines by Stuart Neville 4/5

Neville has done it again.  His characters are real and nuanced, brought fully to life. 

Albert Ryan is an Irishman that fought with the English against the Axis powers in WWII, and is shunned by his own for it.  The time is 1961, just prior to a visit to Ireland by the American President John F. Kennedy and security is tight, to say the least.  Although the story does not include Kennedy in any way, the heightened security for his visit plays a part in the attention paid to what seems to be a serial killer that is targeting ex-Nazis that are living in Ireland.  Ryan is a part of what I suppose is a Special Forces sort of security agency and is loaned to a government Minister to track down the killer or killers.  He is tasked with finding out why the killings are taking place, and stopping them before they kill their apparent true prey. 

The story turns into a cat and mouse thriller that takes some unexpected turns.  Ryan is a great character, and I hope Neville brings him back for a sequel.

Recommended.

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Found a great article on the New York Times...it comes, if not very close, at least in the ballpark of my husband and myself. :D

Except for the triage.....  ....One Book Out

We are, at least, when we find duplicates, sending the dups to Daughter. :)

Found a great article on the New York Times...it comes, if not very close, at least in the ballpark of my husband and myself. :D

Except for the triage.....  ....One Book Out

We are, at least, when we find duplicates, sending the dups to Daughter. :)

Great article made me laugh, although i'm actually quite good at remembering what books i have, i might forget what my children's dates of birth are, what we had for tea the day before & what i came all the way upstairs for but i'm pretty good at remembering what's in my TBR mountain & very rarely buy duplicates  :D

I'm very, very late to comment on some things... When I've recently been trying to catch up on people's reading logs, and the new posts in them, I've never quite managed to get to all of them, and yours simply must've been at the bottom of the page of 'new posts' whenever I've tried to catch up :rolleyes: Such bad luck!

This is re: The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (the bollock :giggle2:)

Gawd, I know what you mean...everyone lets it all hang out...!! gak.   I'm actually happy we don't have TV piped into the house anymore, and only watch DVDs of what we like.  All those commercials and "reality" shows....whose bloody reality is it, I wonder!  sheesh!

I have to say I do watch a bit of reality TV, or at least used to watch it (my TV's not working so at the moment I don't), but Jersey Shore was something else, and I'm very embarrassed to have watched it :D Some of the other reality shows are a bit more ... cultivated, at least in comparison.

And, thank you. I truly disliked the book, and was very disappointed that I did.

Oh, please, don't reread....once is enough contamination.  :roll:

I know I shouldn't re-read it, but having read your review now again, I'm still tempted :D

Also, thanks re avatar...this computer has a built in camera, so that's me at the computer in the study. 

/curtsy/  Thank you so much! :blush2:

You and Charles make such a cute couple... I remember having just recently posted about it on the Post Yourself thread, but I still have to say that you look so good together! You both have that sparkle in your eyes :smile2:

An Unexpected Guest by Anne Korkeakivi 4/5

What could have been a straight up and down story is turned into a personal search for......redemption perhaps.

Clare Moorhouse is the American wife of a British diplomat stationed in Paris. Her life is mapped out for her in great precision, with every detail to be planned ahead of time. The possibility of her husband being posted as Ambassador to Ireland throws a definite spanner into her life. You see, Clare has secrets that even her husband of 20 years is unaware of and could threaten both her sanity and freedom.

Other complications arise during her Mrs. Dalloway-like excursion into the markets of Paris to obtain the essentials of an important dinner party, a party that could affect the outcome of her husband's career. Is the person she has given directions to a terrorist, an assassin? And the face she continues to see, one from her past that haunts her.....is it real or imagined?

The story is told in both the present, and flashbacks to Clare's youth, which for the most part is typical All-American girl. No fodder for the newspapers there. But for a few months her life is an open book, but those few months could blast her entire present life into smithereens.

Recommended.

Thank you so much for the review! I remember you and I posting about this on goodreads, and for some reason I thought the book might not be something I would be interested in, and that I couldn't just go and read it just because the author has a Finnish surname... But your review has convinced me otherwise! Definitely going on my wishlist, thanks! :)

lol  We have shelves everywhere!  I counted up once, and we have equivalent to 75 bookcases.  Practically every possible wall is taken up.  The upstairs hall, the downstairs hall, Two walls in the media room, ceiling to floor.  It's a large living room, and we have it divided with two rows of back to back bookcases, and another wall in there as well.  There is a doubling back staircase in the middle of the house and we have bookcases all around that as well.  In the study/computer room the two long walls are built in bookcases.  In fact the background in my avatar is a partial picture of one of those walls.  Oh, and I converted a hall closet by the front door into a ceiling to floor three sided bookcase.   

Then there are the stacks in here as well.  /sigh/   :lurker:

75 bookshelves?!? :D If I ever come to the States, can I please come and visit? :blush: Wow... you honestly and truly have a personal library, that's for effing sure!! :yes:

Visited the local Library Sale put on by Friends of the Library.  Every third weekend.  /evil grin/  Hardbacks are 1.00 USD, paperbacks are .50 cents.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (I have a copy, somewhere already, I think...)

A Moment on the Edge by Margaret George

Seven Days in May by Fletcher Knebel & Charles W. Bailey II (read this decades ago, very good thriller)

Virgin Earth by Philippa Gregory

The Finite Element Method  by O. C. Zienkiewicz, FRS (husbands for sure! lol)

The First Wives Club by Olivia Goldsmith ( saw the film, loved it!)

Lovers and Tyrants by Francine duPlessis Gray

Hot Night in the City by Trevanian

The Death of a President (November 1963) by William Manchester

The Great Crash 1929 by John Kenneth Galbraith

Blood Rain by Michael Dibdin

A Mother and Two Daughters by Gail Godwin

The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant (an author I was actually looking for)

Isabella, Queen Without a Conscience by Rachel Bard (Isabella was evidently King John's wife)

The sale is open tomorrow as well.  :angel_not:

Great haul :D Can I ask why you were looking for Dunant's books? Have you read anything by her before? I've only read her one novel, it was Birth Marks or something like that, a sort of a detective novel, but I really enjoyed it :)

Reading the incredible World War Z by Max Brooks we learn exactly what is meant by waging Total Warfare. Essay after essay of survivors of what was the most extraordinary war Mankind has ever fought. This is much the same experience as reading a future newspaper account of war experiences.

I am not a "zombie book" fan, usually. This book is something very different though and tells of a happening so terrible, so violent, so difficult for anyone but the most battle hardened veteran to grasp. But we civilians try. Tale after tale, country after country, jungle to tundra, swamp to desert to mountains the stories of survival and battle are so varied and so compelling it is difficult to put the book down. The reader has to know. Has to finally be able to wrap their head around this new entity.

The prose is plain and occasionally terse and completely compelling. There are, believe it or not, some laugh out loud moments that take the reader by surprise.

This excerpt is taken from a General that has literally seen it all. He explains exactly what Total War consists of:

"The book of war, the one we've been writing since one ape slapped another, was completely useless in this situation. We had to write a new one from scratch.

All armies, be they mechanized or mountain guerilla, have to abide by three basic restrictions: they have to be bred, fed, and lead." (p.271)

The meanings of "bread, led, and fed are pretty obvious. Now, speaking of the Zombies he says:

"All human armies need supplies, this army didn't. No food, no ammo, no fuel, not even water to drink or air to breathe! There were no logistics lines to sever, no depots to destroy. You couldn't just surround and starve them out, or let them 'wither on the vine.' Lock a hundred of them in a room and three years later they'll come out just as deadly." (p.272)

The narrator/interviewee then goes on to tell how humans/countries are not capable of "total war"...because you'll never get 100% of the people 100% of the time to back it. But that is not the case for the Undead.

"For the first time in history, we faced an enemy that was actively waging total war. They had no limits of endurance. They would never negotiate, never surrender. They would fight until the very end because, unlike us. every single one of them,every second of every day, was devoted to consuming all life on Earth. That's the kind of enemy that was waiting for us beyond the Rockies. That's the kind of war we had to fight." (p.273)

There is Hope.

Highly Recommended. 5+/5

I just posted about this on bobbly's thread, and I've now read your review, thanks! :) Going on my wishlist :giggle2:

:giggle2:

Yes, well....... :blush2:    :giggle2:

Great article made me laugh, although i'm actually quite good at remembering what books i have, i might forget what my children's dates of birth are, what we had for tea the day before & what i came all the way upstairs for but i'm pretty good at remembering what's in my TBR mountain & very rarely buy duplicates  :D

If I've already read the book, I'll remember.  But with the list of TBR's we have, it gets confusing.  I do have all of our books on Library Thing.  But, for some unknown reason occasionally when I access LT to check if we have one (when we're buying) LT occasionally doesn't show it to me.  Says it isn't there, so we'll buy, and when we get home and I input the ISBN, there it is, a duplicate!  grrrrr A couple of years ago there was an ALA (American Library Association) convention down in New Orleans.  We attended, having been notified by LT as they had a booth there.  I actually spoke to the owner, and they didn't understand the glitch.  Said they'd look into it.  Quite a nice couple.  :)

The below quotes are from frankie...I wanted to break up the quotes, but didn't know how to reinsert frankie's name and time......

I'm very, very late to comment on some things... When I've recently been trying to catch up on people's reading logs, and the new posts in them, I've never quite managed to get to all of them, and yours simply must've been at the bottom of the page of 'new posts' whenever I've tried to catch up :rolleyes: Such bad luck!

LOL  Glad you made it to the bottom of the page then!! 

Better late than never! :flowers2:

I have to say I do watch a bit of reality TV, or at least used to watch it (my TV's not working so at the moment I don't), but Jersey Shore was something else, and I'm very embarrassed to have watched it :D Some of the other reality shows are a bit more ... cultivated, at least in comparison.

Oh, I've watched a few...I'd always watch the last few episodes of Survivor, and a few of The Amazing Race.  After all that's the only way I'd see some of those places!  But some of the others, just really get on my old nerves. :icon_eek:

I know I shouldn't re-read it, but having read your review now again, I'm still tempted :D

LOL, well, there is a certain morbid fascination. heh

You and Charles make such a cute couple... I remember having just recently posted about it on the Post Yourself thread, but I still have to say that you look so good together! You both have that sparkle in your eyes :smile2:

Awww, thanks Frankie, he is super, absolutely the sweetest guy on the planet. 

Thank you so much for the review! I remember you and I posting about this on goodreads, and for some reason I thought the book might not be something I would be interested in, and that I couldn't just go and read it just because the author has a Finnish surname... But your review has convinced me otherwise! Definitely going on my wishlist, thanks! :)

Ahh, yes, the Finnish author, or named at least.  Charles read it first, and quite enjoyed it as well.

75 bookshelves?!? :D If I ever come to the States, can I please come and visit? :blush: Wow... you honestly and truly have a personal library, that's for effing sure!! :yes:

You'd better!!  :yes:  

Great haul :D Can I ask why you were looking for Dunant's books? Have you read anything by her before? I've only read her one novel, it was Birth Marks or something like that, a sort of a detective novel, but I really enjoyed it :)

I was attracted to her latest book out, I saw it advertised on Amazon.  I just didn't want to pop for a new book if I didn't like her style of writing, and a Library Sale is the cheapest way to find out.  Well, borrowing one from the library would be the actual cheapest, but as I never know when I'll get around to a book, this was the most logical for me. :blush2:

I just posted about this on bobbly's thread, and I've now read your review, thanks! :) Going on my wishlist :giggle2:

Yes, WWZ.....I was really impressed. 

Edited by pontalba

The only 'one screen' theatre left in New Orleans, The Prytania, is having a French Film Festival this week.  Today (Saturday) we went over and managed two of them, a double feature. :)

First off we saw Lola (1961) with Anouk Aimee.  http://en.wikipedia....Lola_(1961_film) It was a beautiful print, which is pretty amazing, as the original negative was destroyed in a fire. 

Next we watched one of the most layered, and interesting films I've ever had the pleasure of watching. http://movies.nytime...snais.html?_r=0   You Ain't Seen Nothin Yet, directed by Alain Resnais.

Also, here is a link to the other Film information.  http://www.theprytania.com/  Warning...turn your sound volume down...there is the most irritating song played on the website..."Let's All Go to the Lobby....."  /gritting my teeth/ :D

Next we watched one of the most layered, and interesting films I've ever had the pleasure of watching. http://movies.nytime...snais.html?_r=0   You Ain't Seen Nothin Yet, directed by Alain Resnais.

Also, here is a link to the other Film information.  http://www.theprytania.com/  Warning...turn your sound volume down...there is the most irritating song played on the website..."Let's All Go to the Lobby....."  /gritting my teeth/ :D

Sounds really good. :D Erm, the Resnais fim - not the jingle. ;)

I`m quite lucky in the UK - we have the free-to-air Film Four, which has a lot of art house and foreign language films alongside the more blockbuster-y films. They`re doing a Miyazaki season atm ( loooove his films :D  ).

BTW - that building - gorgeous. wub.gif

Edited by Little Pixie

Sounds really good. :D Erm, the Resnais fim - not the jingle. ;)

I`m quite lucky in the UK - we have the free-to-air Film Four, which has a lot of art house and foreign language films alongside the more blockbuster-y films. They`re doing a Miyazaki season atm ( loooove his films :D  ).

BTW - that building - gorgeous. wub.gif

It is a great building.  It is also the last one screen theatre in the city that is active as such.  When I was young it was simply an Art and Foreign language theatre.  Period.  Nowadays they have to keep a more varied schedule to keep going. 

You are lucky to have Film Four....they look like they have a great mix.  And the price is right!! :)  Here it costs a lot per month to keep up cable television.  And to get the stations you want is difficult......can't without a lot of junk included.

It is a great building.  It is also the last one screen theatre in the city that is active as such.  When I was young it was simply an Art and Foreign language theatre.  Period.  Nowadays they have to keep a more varied schedule to keep going. 

You are lucky to have Film Four....they look like they have a great mix.  And the price is right!! :)  Here it costs a lot per month to keep up cable television.  And to get the stations you want is difficult......can't without a lot of junk included.

I get SKY - the original bundle  for £21 -  to get SKY movies would cost an extra £16 per month - I`d get a vast amount of movies stripped across 11 channels ( including a whole channel devoted to the Bond films :smile:  ) but I`m happy with the movies I get without that extra cost . I figure I can buy what I want on DVD and pay less than the cost of those movie channels, if I wait a few months for the DVDs` cost to drop. :D

The White Queen by Philippa Gregory 4/5

I've chosen to upgrade from a three star to a four star on account of the last third of this excellent telling of the begetting of the Tudor line.

Elizabeth Woodville was forced to marry the usurper Henry Tudor to bring peace to and unite the Kingdom. A pawn as most women, particularly royal women, she could not love as she pleased and was, in fact forced to marry the very man that caused her beloved to die. This is of course Gregory's version, and a credible one at that, of the end of Richard III's short reign as King of England, transitioning to Henry Tudor's reign.

Mysteries and intrigue abound.....did Richard murder the Princes in the Tower? Which of the pretenders was really one of those Princes? Were either of them the true Prince? This shows an embattled Henry VII, who was himself, in a way, a Pretender to the throne. Rightful became 'he who had the best army', or who had the most effective spy network, not necessarily the true next in line.

We get intriguing glimpses of Prince Arthur, Prince Henry (finally Henry VIII), and knowing how it all ends up makes those glimpses even more interesting.

Gregory weaves a great story, one that is as close to the (a) truth and possible as anything else. The fact being that unless someone builds a time machine, we'll never know The Truth of it.

Recommended.

LOL  Glad you made it to the bottom of the page then!! 

Better late than never! :flowers2:

I'm honestly really sorry, but that's what it was all about :blush: And no, I didn't even make it to the most bottom of the page the last time I was getting through review blogs, I still have a few others to comment on :blush: I guess as well as my reading mojo, I've lost a bit of my reading log mojo. Knowing there's so many of them to go through and how many new posts there are to be read, it doesn't help! :blush: Thank you for being patient with me :D:friends3:

Oh, I've watched a few...I'd always watch the last few episodes of Survivor, and a few of The Amazing Race.  After all that's the only way I'd see some of those places!  But some of the others, just really get on my old nerves. :icon_eek:

Well those shows are really rather educational. Amazing Race in particular. Did you notice that in one season they were in Finland, of all places in the world?! That was a few years ago. It definitely made the headlines over here :D

Survivor is great, I don't think I will ever get tired of it... I mean I've watched all the American seasons, and they are nearing the 20th season, aren't they? They started showing the show on here from season 2 or 3, but they also showed the earlier ones after that. It's just so ridiculously interesting. I wish I could try and do it... But I'm hypoglycemic (sp?) and I get very nauseated and fainty if I don't eat in a certain amount of hours... I just wouldn't cope. I've once lost my eyesight for a while because I hadn't eaten properly that day! Scary thing.

LOL, well, there is a certain morbid fascination. heh

This was re: Jean Brodie. I don't know why, but I am a bit curious about it... I mean, now that I know that the book is really no good, and the big 'secret' isn't something extra that's coming in the end but is revealed so early on, I guess I might enjoy the book more. :shrug: At least it would be a very short re-read, so it wouldn't completely ruin a whole week... :D

Awww, thanks Frankie, he is super, absolutely the sweetest guy on the planet. 

I wonder if he has a younger brother, then...? :D

Ahh, yes, the Finnish author, or named at least.  Charles read it first, and quite enjoyed it as well.

I was looking through the new purchases for the local library, just yesterday, and then the book came to my mind and I searched if they had a copy of it but blast, they didn't! :doh:  Maybe a bit later...

You'd better!!  :yes:  

It's a date :D

I was attracted to her latest book out, I saw it advertised on Amazon.  I just didn't want to pop for a new book if I didn't like her style of writing, and a Library Sale is the cheapest way to find out.  Well, borrowing one from the library would be the actual cheapest, but as I never know when I'll get around to a book, this was the most logical for me. :blush2:

Ah yes :) Well I've heard that the book you got is supposed to be a pretty good one :yes: And I would recommend the Hannah Wolfe series. (If that was her name, I can't remember)

The White Queen by Philippa Gregory 4/5

Gregory weaves a great story, one that is as close to the (a) truth and possible as anything else. The fact being that unless someone builds a time machine, we'll never know The Truth of it.

Recommended.

I think that's the case with most historical fiction - they play pretty fast and loose with the known facts for the sake of a good story (that's not a complaint).  I'm curious as to why she's called the series the 'Cousins' War', though  - I've only ever heard of it called The Wars of the Roses until this  :shrug:  I'm quite interested in giving these books a go, though, as the period leads into my favourite part of history, but the tv series has put me off a little, as it's so lightweight (and badly acted/directed :rolleyes: ).  Do you think I'd prefer the books?  :unsure:

@Julie, yes, I've really enjoyed the whole series, but as far as getting all of those intertwined, same name, cousins straight...?  Hah!  Only vaguely.  But at least I understand the basics of who killed, whom, and why.  Mostly. :roll::D

@frankie, it's hard to believe any of the reality shows have been on the air for 20 years, but it's all true.  Gawd, I remember when there was nothing like it, and would have been laughed off the air.  Really.  Television, that wonderful, new erudite method of communication that would allow everyone, across the board to partake of the finer things in life.  Wonderful plays, amazing operas, educational.....yada, yada, yada.  There were wonderful things on when I was a kid, wonderful and interestingly enough, educational.  Oh well.

Now, for about 80%, I'd have to say it's playing to the lowest common denominator.

Sorry, off the soapbox for me! :D

I'll look into the Hannah Wolfe series. Thanks. :)

@Karsa, well, I haven't seen any of the TV series, so cannot comment.  I've heard it's a combination of a couple of the books though.

YES, you'll enjoy the books more. LOL  I'm actually reading the first of the series at last, The Lady of the Rivers....about the mother of The White Queen, Elizabeth Woodville.  It's quite interesting.  I do have to say however, that there are soap opera(ish) elements to Gregory's writing.  But I felt the structure was instructive enough to overcome that failing.  And, let me hastily add, all the books are not that way.  Some are, some are only a teeny bit. 

As to why the "Cousin's War", the main factions of the House of York and House of Lancaster, both Plantagenet Houses.  I believe it goes back to two sons of.....one of the Henry's....each was given one of those titles, and it's their descendants that are warring against each other.  Gawd, there was so much inbreeding going on, it isn't even funny!!  More Richards, Edwards, Henry's, etc than you can shake a stick at!!

@Karsa, well, I haven't seen any of the TV series, so cannot comment.  I've heard it's a combination of a couple of the books though.

YES, you'll enjoy the books more. LOL  I'm actually reading the first of the series at last, The Lady of the Rivers....about the mother of The White Queen, Elizabeth Woodville.  It's quite interesting.  I do have to say however, that there are soap opera(ish) elements to Gregory's writing.  But I felt the structure was instructive enough to overcome that failing.  And, let me hastily add, all the books are not that way.  Some are, some are only a teeny bit. 

That's exactly what's been putting me off the tv series.  I may give The Lady of the Rivers a go to see what it's like.  Fortunately, my mum has them all so I can just nick it off her :giggle2:

As to why the "Cousin's War", the main factions of the House of York and House of Lancaster, both Plantagenet Houses.  I believe it goes back to two sons of.....one of the Henry's....each was given one of those titles, and it's their descendants that are warring against each other.  Gawd, there was so much inbreeding going on, it isn't even funny!!  More Richards, Edwards, Henry's, etc than you can shake a stick at!!

Oh I know why she's called it that, I was just curious if she was the first one to give it that name, cos I've only ever heard it called The Wars of the Roses before.  I was watching her two part 'documentary' about 'The Cousins' War' and she said it came to be known as that, which didn't seem right.  Anyway, I googled 'Cousins' War' and the only results that came up seemed to be for Philippa Gregory, so that seems to answer my question :D

Thanks! :smile:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Ah yes :) Well I've heard that the book you got is supposed to be a pretty good one :yes: And I would recommend the Hannah Wolfe series. (If that was her name, I can't remember)

I'd echo that recommendation (and your memory is good, frankie. I'm awful at remembering names!). They are, though, in a very different style. Dunant has worked in a number of different genres: there's her detective series (a lighter female nod to Philop Marlow is how I think I remember her describing the series), her rather more intense psychological thrillers (including Transgressions, somewhat controversial because of the way she describes a rape scene), and then her historical fiction, for which she is probably now best known, although apparently at pretty much every appearance, she does seem to get asked if she's going to write any more Hannah Wolfe stories (no is the answer - she feels she's moved on). As you may gather, I'm a a fan, and have enjoyed all three genres enormously (am off to see her again at the Ilkley Literature Festival in October).

Oh I know why she's called it that, I was just curious if she was the first one to give it that name, cos I've only ever heard it called The Wars of the Roses before.  I was watching her two part 'documentary' about 'The Cousins' War' and she said it came to be known as that, which didn't seem right.  Anyway, I googled 'Cousins' War' and the only results that came up seemed to be for Philippa Gregory, so that seems to answer my question :D

I remember studying the dynastic successions as part of my A-Levels many years ago, and from what I remember the Wars of the Roses didn't really have a name much before Sir Walter Scott gave them their current name in the nineteenth century. Indeed, the red rose wasn't even used until Henry VII introduced it as part of his symbolic marrying the two houses together into the Tudor Rose. As for The Cousins' War, I think, as you said, your google search gave you the answer!

x

Elizabeth Woodville was forced to marry the usurper Henry Tudor to bring peace to and unite the Kingdom. A pawn as most women, particularly royal women, she could not love as she pleased and was, in fact forced to marry the very man that caused her beloved to die. This is of course Gregory's version, and a credible one at that, of the end of Richard III's short reign as King of England, transitioning to Henry Tudor's reign.

I think you may be mixing up the Elizabeths: Elizabeth Woodville was the wife of Edward IV, and the mother of Elizabeth of York who married Henry VII. By all accounts, although the latter was a political marriage, it was a happy one, and Henry VII was devastated when she died. As I understand it, the former was very much a love match, even though Edward IV was the leader of the Yorkist army at St Albans where EW's first husband was killed. Edited by willoyd

I remember studying the dynastic successions as part of my A-Levels many years ago, and from what I remember the Wars of the Roses didn't really have a name much before Sir Walter Scott gave them their current name in the nineteenth century. Indeed, the red rose wasn't even used until Henry VII introduced it as part of his symbolic marrying the two houses together into the Tudor Rose. As for The Cousins' War, I think, as you said, your google search gave you the answer!

I actually read about Sir Walter Scott last night when I googled the Wars of the Roses, so that all makes sense to me now, thanks! :smile:  

I'd echo that recommendation (and your memory is good, frankie. I'm awful at remembering names!). They are, though, in a very different style. Dunant has worked in a number of different genres: there's her detective series (a lighter female nod to Philop Marlow is how I think I remember her describing the series), her rather more intense psychological thrillers (including Transgressions, somewhat controversial because of the way she describes a rape scene), and then her historical fiction, for which she is probably now best known, although apparently at pretty much every appearance, she does seem to get asked if she's going to write any more Hannah Wolfe stories (no is the answer - she feels she's moved on). As you may gather, I'm a a fan, and have enjoyed all three genres enormously (am off to see her again at the Ilkley Literature Festival in October).

xI think you may be mixing up the Elizabeths: Elizabeth Woodville was the wife of Edward IV, and the mother of Elizabeth of York who married Henry VII. By all accounts, although the latter was a political marriage, it was a happy one, and Henry VII was devastated when she died. As I understand it, the former was very much a love match, even though Edward IV was the leader of the Yorkist army at St Albans where EW's first husband was killed.

Thanks, I'm becoming more and more interested in Dunant!

I googled the Cousins War as well, and came up with the same thing.  It is an appropriate naming though.  Actually, since she is current, and calling it that, it's logical that the hits would all mention her.....I've noticed that in other searches, ones that I know have other roots and meanings, but the current rage subsumes the older meanings/roots.

Well, re Elizabeth Woodville, yes, I know the two Elizabeths (mother and daughter)...however, probably mistakenly, in the book The White Queen, they did occasionally refer to the daughter as Elizabeth Woodville.  I don't know why.  Perhaps as a slur? I think it was when the legitimacy of the marriage of Elizabeth and Edward was being questioned.

And yes, Gregory portrays the marriage of Elizabeth and Edward as a great love match.

Actually, since she is current, and calling it that, it's logical that the hits would all mention her.....I've noticed that in other searches, ones that I know have other roots and meanings, but the current rage subsumes the older meanings/roots.

Very true.  Shame, really.  It'll always be the Wars of the Roses in my mind :D

...however, probably mistakenly, in the book The White Queen, they did occasionally refer to the daughter as Elizabeth Woodville.  I don't know why.  Perhaps as a slur? I think it was when the legitimacy of the marriage of Elizabeth and Edward was being questioned.

It would certainly make sense given the antipathy towards the marriage. Edited by willoyd

Very true.  Shame, really.  It'll always be the Wars of the Roses in my mind :D

That was the name I knew it by.  incestuous bunch.  :roll:

@willoyd...I was surprised at the fact that Henry VII was the one that came up with the rose symbol. 

Also, although I'd already found a paperback copy of Dunant's The Birth of Venus at the local Library Sale, this evening I saw a good condition hardback at the local 2nd & Charles used book store.  So, I had to buy it! :)  Also picked up a copy of her In the Company of the Courtesan, and...just ordered through Amazon Marketplace a copy of her Mapping the Edge.  What a versatile author!  Thanks again for the tip willoyd, and frankie. :)

AIE:  picked up a copy (finally!) of William Trevor's Felicia's Journey.

Edited by pontalba

Also picked up a copy of her In the Company of the Courtesan, and...just ordered through Amazon Marketplace a copy of her Mapping the Edge.

Yet to read Mapping the Edge but loved In the Company of the Courtesan.  It helped, though, that I read it partly whilst in Venice, where most of it is set!

AIE:  picked up a copy (finally!) of William Trevor's Felicia's Journey.

Which reminds me that I must read more of his - read a couple some years ago, and had forgotten how much I had enjoyed them until I was rereading a couple of nights ago the reviews I wrote at the time. 

Edited by willoyd

@willoyd.....this will be the 3rd or 4th Trevor I've tried.  Somehow his writing seems to me to be.......so fraught with despair.  This one, so far, feels a bit different.  /fingers crossed/ :)

Yet to read Mapping the Edge but loved In the Company of the Courtesan.  It helped, though, that I read it partly whilst in Venice, where most of it is set!

Which reminds me that I must read more of his - read a couple some years ago, and had forgotten how much I had enjoyed them until I was rereading a couple of nights ago the reviews I wrote at the time. 

LOL, yes...that would help! :D