Janet's Log - stardate 2013

Janet

Janet, I've just noticed your signature.  I don't care if you don't like SF or fantasy, you have my eternal respect :wub:

Of course, you do realise that if you ever change your signature I will immediately withdraw that comment :giggle2:

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad to hear you liked it, though it's a shame you didn't love it. Nice review :). I don't know if it's my sort of book, but if I come across a paperback edition (once released) cheap I might be curious and buy it.. I haven't read The Casual Vacancy either, only the Harry Potter series (which I'm re-reading). I liked the Harry Potter series but I'm not sure what her other books will be like.

I think it's definitely worth a try if you come across it for a reasonable price.  For curiosity sake if nothing else.  :)

I wonder if I'd have been less critical about the writing if I didn't know who the author really was?  The day the story broke, I looked at the reviews on Amazon (UK) for those reviews written before it had come out the Rowling was the author and they were mostly 5* - although they might have been made by people in the know - who knows?!  :shrug:

Janet, I've just noticed your signature.  I don't care if you don't like SF or fantasy, you have my eternal respect :wub:

Of course, you do realise that if you ever change your signature I will immediately withdraw that comment :giggle2:

:lol: 

Oh dear - I'd better keep it then, or one like it, anyway!  :D  

I've decided I do like (some) vintage sci-fi! 

Great review of The Night Circus Janet .. I want to read it again now :D

I'm still interested to read The Cuckoo's Calling .. even though it didn't set you on fire (which .. I'm very glad of :friends0:) I'm wondering too if I will judge it differently now that I know who the author is? Jo has placed the bar quite high (imo) with her previous work (I haven't read The Casual Vacancy though) so I'll be comparing it .. even though you can't compare it .. it's a completely different genre :roll2: Though I do want to read both books I'm reluctant .. it's almost as if I don't want to spoil my opinions of her as a writer :shrug: .. ridiculous really .. I'll get over it :blush2: 

Yay for vintage sci-fi :D

Thanks, Kay. :)

I know what you mean about not wanting to spoil things by reading Rowling's other works.   I haven't read the Harry Potter books more than once but I did enjoy them (even the first one!).

You could always try the first few pages of The Cuckoo's Calling via Amazon's 'look inside' feature to get a feel for the writing, which really isn't Harry-esque!  :)

I think it's definitely worth a try if you come across it for a reasonable price.  For curiosity sake if nothing else.  :)

x

I agree :)!

Kay, I see what you mean about not wanting to spoil the author's writing. Janet's suggestion sounds nice :). The problem that I usually have when checking out previews (which I don't do that often, to be honest), is that I'll want to read the story badly and then I have to wait until I have the book :P (on the Kindle you wouldn't have this problem, if you have the funds to buy it straight away).

You could always try the first few pages of The Cuckoo's Calling via Amazon's 'look inside' feature to get a feel for the writing, which really isn't Harry-esque!  :)

I had not thought of that :blush2: Janet .. you're a genius :D

Kay, I see what you mean about not wanting to spoil the author's writing. Janet's suggestion sounds nice :). The problem that I usually have when checking out previews (which I don't do that often, to be honest), is that I'll want to read the story badly and then I have to wait until I have the book :P (on the Kindle you wouldn't have this problem, if you have the funds to buy it straight away).

:D .. I have so many titles on my wishlist now that I'm getting used to being patient :blush2: I had an audio credit with Audible and I was really tempted by The Cuckoo's Calling (narrated by Robert Glenister) but in the end I thought it was probably a book I'd prefer to read. I still haven't ruled it out though.

I don't think I'll ever get used to reading on Kindle :( .. I tried to read it today but only managed about three pages :blush2: Despite the fact that I spend half my life staring at this one :giggle: .. I don't like reading stuff on screens. I'm really susceptible to the flicker. 

Oooh, I have a bit of a thing for Philip Glenister!  :wub:  :blush:  I think he'd have the kind of voice I imagined for Strike!

I don't think I could use my tablet as a Kindle for the same reason.  Luckily the smaller Kindles don't flicker at all.  I'm a big fan of mine now, which I never thought would happen.  It's so good for holidays.  It won't ever replace books though.

ETA:  Wrong Glenister brother!  Ah well, I think Robert has a similar voice?  (I'm not as familiar with him as I am with the lovely Philip!).

Edited by Janet

Hello Jänet, I've had a blast reading through the last pages of your reading log! :D

You've read some really different books lately, I see the Around the World influence for sure :D I love it when people mix things up a bit and don't go for the usual books day after day.

I'm adding The Widow's Cruise to my wishlist as well as Down the Rabbit Hole, thanks! :) And The President's Hat sounds like a hoot, that's definitely going on my wishlist, too! :)

Like you, I'm not a fan of horses, they are scary and unpredictable. And huge! And therefore I've never been interested in reading Black Beauty. But reading your thoughts on it, and knowing you're no fan of horses either, I feel like I might some day give it a go. I know many people have loved the book, and it's a classic (and on many of my reading lists... :giggle2:)...  So thank you for the review! :friends3:  Also, I don't like preachy books but if you think Little Women was worse than BB, I'm sure I'll survive :) I don't think Little Women was as bad as Heidi :rolleyes: Wow, that's quite a few preachy kiddy books. I'm glad those days are gone...

I guess the book is 'of its time'.  I did like the quote "...there is no religion without love, and people may talk as much as they like about their religion, but if it does not teach them to be good and kind to man and beast, it is all a sham..."  I think that's true.

That is true, and well said :yes:

.. I quite like the Winona Rider one :) .. Claire Danes is in it also (and Kirsten Dunst and Christian Bale.) My favourite though is the June Allyson/Elizabeth Taylor/Margaret O'Brien/Janet Leigh one which is pretty silly but somehow cosy and comforting (and I count it as a Christmas film because its opening scenes are so Christmassy). I'm not as keen on the Katharine Hepburn one but I still like it .. I like them all because they keep the essence of the story in and leave most of the smugness out.  

I'd seen the Winona Ryder movie years and years ago, and only remembered she was in it... After that I saw American Psycho quite a few times... And then when I watched Little Women again, I was pretty gobsmacked to realise the Christian Bale was in LW :D Talk about going from one extreme to the other... :D Bale is a superb actor.

Talking of dreams, last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again that I was reading my Kindle and as I turned the page, £20 I'd hidden in it fell out!  :lol:    I never hide money in paper books, so why I dreamt this I don't know!  :giggle2:

:lol: :lol: That's too funny! It would be the day when that actually happened... :D

I've decided I do like (some) vintage sci-fi! 

You are very, very brave, Jänet... I admire you! :hide:  :giggle2:

Oooh, I have a bit of a thing for Philip Glenister!  :wub:  :blush:  I think he'd have the kind of voice I imagined for Strike!

ETA:  Wrong Glenister brother!  Ah well, I think Robert has a similar voice?  (I'm not as familiar with him as I am with the lovely Philip!).

I thought exactly the same Janet :D .. then I remembered that it was Philip and not Robert that had swum into my mind rather scrumptiously :giggle: I think they do have similar voices though (and there is something similar in their appearance but it doesn't all hang together in quite the same delicious way with Robert :blush2:) so should still be good.

My Kindle only judders occasionally .. like when it's tired I think :giggle: but it makes my eyes go whizzy :blush2:  

Thanks for the replies, frankie, Kay and Diane.  I'm not ignoring them, but we went away for the weekend and I had my tablet with me, which I'm not very quick at typing on and am rubbish at quoting with.  I'm going back to bed as I've got in from work and I'm feeling unwell, so I will reply properly later.  :)

I found a copy of J L Carr's A Month in the Country today in a charity shop for £2.  It looks unread!  :D

Before I go, I must add that yesterday I found Carr's The Battle of Pollocks Crossing in the Bookbarn for £1!   I've been looking out for his books since I read A Month in the Country last year with no luck, so I'm pleased to have found two second-hand ones within the space of a week! 

Thanks for the replies, frankie, Kay and Diane.  I'm not ignoring them, but we went away for the weekend and I had my tablet with me, which I'm not very quick at typing on and am rubbish at quoting with.  I'm going back to bed as I've got in from work and I'm feeling unwell, so I will reply properly later.   :smile:  

You must not worry about replying Janet .. you must concentrate on getting better :empathy: .. hope you feel much better soon .. sending love xx

Sorry to hear your not feeling well Janet , Autumn does seem to bring on all the nasty bugs it seems. I just finished reading The Greengage Summer  Rumer Godden & remembered that you wanted to know what i thought of it as it was on your TBR pile. Well just to let you know it was brilliant a 5/5 book. Iff you enjoyed  I Capture The Castle  Dodie Smith then i'm sure you'll enjoy this as well as it's the same kind of childs view of the adult world. In fact i'd go as far as to say it's the ideal book to curl up with if your feeling under the weather  ;)

Hello Jänet, I've had a blast reading through the last pages of your reading log! :D

You've read some really different books lately, I see the Around the World influence for sure :D I love it when people mix things up a bit and don't go for the usual books day after day.

Yes, I definitely like to mix up my reading. There is so much variety out there. That’s why I’m not very keen on ‘series’ type books. I’ve read some, of course, although I’m still to read #3 of the Steig Larsson books and I haven’t read the latest Ben Aaronovitch book! :blush:

I'm adding The Widow's Cruise to my wishlist as well as Down the Rabbit Hole, thanks! :) And The President's Hat sounds like a hoot, that's definitely going on my wishlist, too! :)

They were both very enjoyable. :) I was attracted to the cover of The President’s Hat – but definitely not to the Nicholas Blake one! :giggle2:

Like you, I'm not a fan of horses, they are scary and unpredictable. And huge! And therefore I've never been interested in reading Black Beauty. But reading your thoughts on it, and knowing you're no fan of horses either, I feel like I might some day give it a go. I know many people have loved the book, and it's a classic (and on many of my reading lists... :giggle2:)... So thank you for the review! :friends3: Also, I don't like preachy books but if you think Little Women was worse than BB, I'm sure I'll survive :) I don't think Little Women was as bad as Heidi :rolleyes: Wow, that's quite a few preachy kiddy books. I'm glad those days are gone...

I read Heidi quite a few years ago – I don’t actually remember that much about it. I certainly don’t remember it being particularly religious so I guess either it didn't strike me as too bad or I've blanked it out!

You are very, very brave, Jänet... I admire you! :hide::giggle2:

I even looked in the Sci-fi section at the Book Barn yesterday. :o I was specifically looking for Wyndhams though. No books set on Jupiter for me! :giggle:

Great reviews, Janet. 

I'm particularly happy you enjoyed Night Circus:)

I have Cuckoo's Nest on the stack, and your review says about what I expected of it.  Thanks. :)

I have no idea why I called you Diane - I'm sorry!  :blush:   Yes, The Night Circus was so lovely.  I can't imagine how the film is going to work.  :o

You must not worry about replying Janet .. you must concentrate on getting better :empathy: .. hope you feel much better soon .. sending love xx

Much better now, thanks.  I think the weekend caught up with me - I'm getting too old to be burning the candle at both ends!  :giggle:  It was great fun though...!  :D

Sorry to hear your not feeling well Janet , Autumn does seem to bring on all the nasty bugs it seems. I just finished reading The Greengage Summer  Rumer Godden & remembered that you wanted to know what i thought of it as it was on your TBR pile. Well just to let you know it was brilliant a 5/5 book. Iff you enjoyed  I Capture The Castle  Dodie Smith then i'm sure you'll enjoy this as well as it's the same kind of childs view of the adult world. In fact i'd go as far as to say it's the ideal book to curl up with if your feeling under the weather  ;)

Oh, I really didn't like I Capture the Castle:blush:   It hasn't put me off trying the Rumer Godden book though - I'm glad you loved it so much. :)

Oh, I really didn't like I Capture the Castle:blush:   It hasn't put me off trying the Rumer Godden book though - I'm glad you loved it so much. :)

Oh dear well i'm glad i didn't put you off it , you'll probably read it & think what was she waffling on about it's nothing like I Capture The Castle   :D

I have no idea why I called you Diane - I'm sorry!  :blush:   Yes, The Night Circus was so lovely.  I can't imagine how the film is going to work.  :o

LOL  I was puzzling over that....... /giggle/ :D

Sorry you're not feeling well, hope you are better by now!  :JC_cookies:

I even looked in the Sci-fi section at the Book Barn yesterday. :o I was specifically looking for Wyndhams though. No books set on Jupiter for me! :giggle:

Bit difficult to set books on Jupiter when it's a gas giant :P

Just sayin' :giggle2:

LOL  I was puzzling over that....... /giggle/ :D

Sorry you're not feeling well, hope you are better by now!  :JC_cookies:

Much better, thanks.  :)

Bit difficult to set books on Jupiter when it's a gas giant :P

Just sayin' :giggle2:

:o  You mean you've never heard of the Jupiter Gas Monsters from Outer Space?!  Call yourself a Sci-fi fan?!   lick_zps5c2e3205.gif

spacecraft_zpsfef47e3c.gif

Someone has bought the rights to the book - but I don't think it's in production yet so you still have plenty of time.  :)

Hmm - I seriously didn't know there was a difference.  How do you see it then?  If one Googles "what is the difference between Sci-fi and Science Fiction?" the first link starts with...

There's an old argument amongst particular geeks about the difference between "Sci-Fi" and "Science Fiction." The sides of the argument can be summarized as such:

• "Sci-Fi" is not the same as "Science Fiction," the former is idiotic and unintelligent, the latter intelligent and thoughtful.
  • "Sci-Fi" is not the same as "Science Fiction," the former is mindless entertainment, the latter more literary, but there's nothing wrong with either.
  • [shrug] ... what's the difference, ya'll should lighten up.

:giggle2: