Poppyshake's Reading Year 2013

poppyshake

Julie

I agree totally. The family are still making money out of him which sadly has seemed their main motivation for a long time .. indeed it seemed to be everybody's motivation where Michael was concerned. He was obviously difficult, if not impossible, to reach by the end but how did they let it get to such a pass and how complicit were they? The only family members he seemed to trust were his mum and Janet. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"house cut deep into the bank " - what type of house is this? I got the impression it was possibly a boat?

Book added to wish list.

I'm pretty sure it was just an ordinary house .. if you can call a house cut deep into the bank of a steep slope ordinary :D It made me feel giddy actually just thinking about it.

'At night my mother tucked me into a hammock slung cross-wise against the slope. In the gentle sway of the night, I dreamed of a place where I wouldn't be fighting gravity with my own body weight' 

Hope you enjoy it Deborah .. it's quite challenging but interesting  :smile: 

I haven't finished all of my reviews yet but I still might not have by the end of this year so time to do a sum up I think :smile: 

Favourites:

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf - Edward Albee

The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern

A Boy at the Hogarth Press - Richard Kennedy

Matilda - Roald Dahl

Right Royal B*stard - Sarah Miles

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making - Catherynne M. Valente

Down and Out in Paris and London - George Orwell

And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie

Where'd You Go Bernadette - Maria Semple

Suite Francaise - Irène Némirovsky

Les Miserables - Victor Hugo

Titus Groan - Mervyn Peake

The War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells

A Fraction of the Whole - Steve Toltz

Almost Favourites:

Deceived with Kindness - Angelica Garnett

Death and the Penguin - Andrey Kurkov

My Animals and other Family - Clare Balding

The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien

Moranthology - Caitlin Moran

The Daughter of Time - Josephine Tey

Van Gogh: The Life - Steven Naifeh and Gregory White Smith

The Misremembered Man - Christina McKenna

Dot - Araminta Hall

Greenery Street - Denis Mackail

The Talented Mr Ripley - Patricia Highsmith

The Dark is Rising - Susan Cooper

The Kraken Wakes - John Wyndham

Animal Farm - George Orwell

Newes from the Dead - Mary Hooper

The Luminaries - Eleanor Catton

Round the Christmas Fire - Festive short stories

Lighthousekeeping - Jeanette Winterson 

Going to See in a Sieve - Danny Baker

Raspberry Awards: :harhar: 

Is it Just Me - Miranda Hart

Franny & Zooey - J.D. Salinger

Death Comes to Pemberley - P.D. James

The Sound and the Fury - William Faulkner

(by rights .. going on my enjoyment of it .. I should put Virginia's The Years here .. but I can't bring myself to blow a raspberry at her :blush2:

I didn't do too badly really ... most of my reads were good or better :smile: .. that is according to me of course :smile2:  

• 2 weeks later...

fractionofthewhole.jpg
A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz

Amazon's Synopsis: From his prison cell, Jasper Dean tells the unlikely story of his scheming father Martin, his crazy uncle Terry and how the three of them upset - mostly unintentionally - an entire continent. Incorporating death, parenting (good and bad kinds,) one labyrinth, first love, a handbook for criminals, a scheme to make everyone rich and an explosive suggestion box, Steve Toltz's A Fraction of the Whole is a hilarious, heartbreaking story of families and how to survive them.

Review: This is an absolutely sensational book but one that is almost impossible to describe, I've never read anything quite like it. Its inventiveness just continues to amaze all the way through and though the story is darkly harrowing it's also razor sharp and hilarious. I don't often take much notice of what's written on the jacket but one quote from the Chicago Sun Times summed it up for me by saying .. 'Toltz's invention is as breathtaking as the speed of his narration in a book that seems to have had all the boring parts snipped .. there is wit on every page' and there really is. It's a joy. You could say that the plotline details a series of rather unfortunate events .. and as is usual with these types of stories .. it's all in the telling. The narration is split between Jasper and his father Martin .. but mostly stays with Jasper. It's quite extraordinary to be inside their heads actually .. they're not exactly conventional thinkers (or doers) and both are pretty embittered and cynical about life.

It's a huge book ... over 700 pages long and though there are no boring bits (as mentioned above) it is quite an undertaking to get through it but it's hugely enjoyable. This is the sort of book to remind you ... with almost evey turn of the page .. why you love reading .. it's because you are guaranteed to come across gems like every this once in a while :)

I will try and find a few sentences to give you a feel of the style .. which you will probably either love or hate (though I seriously can't imagine anyone hating it.)

'Normally, there is your life, and you turn on the television and there is news, and no matter how grave it is, or how deep in the toilet the world has fallen, or how relevant the information might be to your own existence, your life remains a separate entity from that news. You still have to wash your underpants during a war don't you? And don't you still have to fight with your loved ones and then apologise when you don't mean it even when there's a hole in the sky burning everything to a crisp. Of course you do. As a rule, there's no hole big enough to interrupt this interminable business of living, but there are exceptions, grim instances in the lives of a few select unlucky b*st*rds when the news in the papers and the news in their bedrooms intersect. I tell you, it's a daunting and appalling moment when you have to read the newspapers to find out about your own struggle.'

'To love someone who doesn't return your affections might be exciting in books, but in life it's unbearably boring. I'll tell you what's exciting: sweaty passionate nights. But sitting on the veranda outside the home of a sleeping woman who isn't dreaming about you is slow moving and just plain sad.'

'Regrets came up and asked me if I'd like to own them. Declined them for the most part but took a few just so I wouldn't leave this relationship empty handed.'

'When we finished the kiss she said laughing, I can taste your loneliness - it tastes like vinegar. That annoyed me. Everyone knows loneliness tastes like cold potato soup.'

It's a unique read and very rewarding. I can't wait to see what else he comes up with. 5/5

Oooh, this sounds like my kind of book!! I've just bought it on Kindle. :smile:

Great review, too! :smile:

Excellent .. you won't regret it bobbs .. least I hope not :blush2:

Yup, it's a cracker of a book :yes: . Great review too poppyshake  :smile: . It is a tome though, I'm only read 2% of it so far.

Thanks Marie :) Yes it's a beast :D and it needs a fair bit of concentration but it's so rewarding when you are able to give it some time. Though I do believe I read a lot of pages twice so possibly it ended up being a lot longer than 700 pages ... he just writes some killer paragraphs .. you can't help constantly re-reading :D  

Kay

You sold me on the book, too . Just like Bobbly, I bought it for my Kindle after reading your review . It sounds really good !

I always get a little bit worried when anyone buys a book I've recommended ..  but I'm fairly confident on this one :blush2: Hope you enjoy it Julie :smile:

Great review! The book sounds interesting :).

Thanks Gaia :smile: