Ben's Book Bonanza, 2013.

Ben

Evidently enjoyed The Prisoner of Heaven so much that I had it finished by midday. I won't bother with a full review as I'm eager to get back to reading properly again, but I will say that it left me utterly fustrated. Thankfully, that is a tribute to Zafon's novel, rather than a true complaint, as we delve again once more into the world of Fermin and Daniel Sempere. This time, we're treated to an utterly spell-bounding account of Fermin's rather notorious past.

What I love about this 'series', is the close inter-connections in the world of the Cemetary of Forgotten Books; even though it is possible to read Zafon's novels as stand-alone titles, you get the true flavour of our author's world if you have read the previous texts. Intriguingly, this novel leaves us with lots of unanswered questions, and sets up that is to be the final book in the series.

This was a fantastic sequel to The Shdaow of the Wind and I do hope we don't have to wait long for the finale.

4/5.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decided to have another crack at Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky - for the third time, if my count is correct. The previous two times I've stalled for reasons of being busy, not because I hadn't enjoyed what I read, and I'm determined that when I get going with this book properly I know I'll love it. As such, another attempt.

Synopsis:

Raskolnikov, a destitute and desperate former student, wanders through the slums of St Petersburg and commits a random murder without remorse or regret. He imagines himself to be a great man, a Napoleon: acting for a higher purpose beyond conventional moral law. But as he embarks on a dangerous game of cat and mouse with Porfiry, a suspicious detective, Raskolnikov is pursued by the growing voice of his conscience and finds the noose of his own guilt tightening around his neck. Only Sonya, a downtrodden prostitute, can offer the chance of redemption. As the ensuing investigation and trial reveal the true identity of the murderer, Dostoyevsky's dark masterpiece evokes a world where the lines between innocence and corruption, good and evil, blur and everyone's faith in humanity is tested.

Really excited to properly give this the time and attention it most likely deserves.

I hope you get on with it a bit better than the previous two times! :)

It's on my TBR but I think I'll start with an easier classic first before tackling what seems like not the easiest read (the names alone!).

I hope you get on with it a bit better than the previous two times! :)

It's on my TBR but I think I'll start with an easier classic first before tackling what seems like not the easiest read (the names alone!).

Thanks Athena. Good news, I'm pretty much already nearly past where I was the first two times and I can see myself really starting to settle in to the narrative.

:haha: That might be your best bet. I'm going to make (another) big effort with the classics this summer I think, so should hopefully soon get around to some excellent reads.

I didn't realise there was a sequel to Shadow of the Wind (scrolled frantically in case the synopsis gave away spoilers!) but already excited about it, given how much I'm enjoying it.

Crime and Punishment is another book I've always meant to read (am tackling about three classics a year ATM so making very slow progress!) so will be interested to see how you get on.

I didn't realise there was a sequel to Shadow of the Wind (scrolled frantically in case the synopsis gave away spoilers!) but already excited about it, given how much I'm enjoying it.

Crime and Punishment is another book I've always meant to read (am tackling about three classics a year ATM so making very slow progress!) so will be interested to see how you get on.

There's also a prequel called The Angel's Game which you might want to read before this. I actually haven't, and it didn't change my experience of reading it, but I mention it because a lot of people like to read a series chronologically (even if in this case it doesn't matter too much).

As for Crime and Punishment I think it's important to get the first section (100 pages or so) done - not 'out of the way' as such because it's still fascinating - but it can become easy to stay bogged down in the early narrative, and it really starts to gather pace after that. I'm really enjoying it so far and I'm happy I never gave up. I think it's important to have time to sit down and savour this one - it's what the book deserves.

As for Crime and Punishment I think it's important to get the first section (100 pages or so) done - not 'out of the way' as such because it's still fascinating - but it can become easy to stay bogged down in the early narrative, and it really starts to gather pace after that. I'm really enjoying it so far and I'm happy I never gave up. I think it's important to have time to sit down and savour this one - it's what the book deserves.

x

I'll keep this in mind when I read it :).

I don't know why, but although I loved The Shadow of the Wind, I didn't have much interest in reading the prequel or sequel, but your comments have intrigued me, so maybe I'll try them at some point after all.

I think it's because they work so well as stand-alone novels. You don't really have bundles of unanswered questions after The Shadow of the Wind so there's no huge desire to read any prequels or sequels. I think The Prisoner of Heaven is well worth the time though - Fermin was one of my favourite characters in the first one so it was great to have more of his story.

Suppose I should update the first page with my third buy of the year - Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan added to the TBR. I'm very interested in reading this one so should imagine I'll get around to it after the last couple of hundred pages of Crime and Punishment. Which, all being well, shouldn't take me that long..

Decided to make a start on McEwan's Sweet Tooth alongside my current read. I was going to wait until I finished Crime and Punishment but it's heavy and I don't always feel like dipping into it. Hence, reading this lighter read at the same time.

Synopsis:
The year is 1972. The Cold War is far from over. Britain is being torn apart by industrial unrest and terrorism. Serena Frome, in her final year at Cambridge, is being groomed for MI5. Serena is sent on a secret mission - Operation Sweet Tooth - which brings her into the world of Tom Haley, a promising young writer. First she loves his stories, then she begins to love the man. Can she maintain the fiction of her undercover life? And who is inventing whom? To answer these questions, Serena must abandon the first rule of espionage - trust no one.

Really enjoyed Saturday for class and I have Atonement waiting on Kindle, so shall see how I get on with this.

I don't know why, but although I loved The Shadow of the Wind, I didn't have much interest in reading the prequel or sequel, but your comments have intrigued me, so maybe I'll try them at some point after all.

I loved The Shadow of the Wind but was very disappointed with The Angel Game.  It certainly added nothing to the former - very much a standalone with tenuous connections.

I loved The Shadow of the Wind but was very disappointed with The Angel Game.  It certainly added nothing to the former - very much a standalone with tenuous connections.

Interesting that you didn't enjoy it, for some reason I've never been tempted. Definitely think The Prisoner of Heaven is a valuable addition to the canon though.

So last night I finished Sweet Tooth and I must say I enjoyed it very much. There's something about McEwan's writing that I adore - he's got such a wonderful way with words, and his attention to detail across various, often very different subjects, is marvellous. I have still only read this and Saturday but I feel like I'll almost definitely get around to more of his work at some stage.

Review

Sweet Tooth tells the story of Serena Frome ("rhymes with plume") and her various romantic attractions. She has an unquenchable thirst for reading, rattling through a few novels every week (reminded me a lot of some of you guys *laughs*). Intelligent at school and with a talent for mathematics, she gains entrance to Cambridge but struggles with her studies there. Instead she immerses herself in her novels and ends up with only a third. While there, however, she meets professor Tony Canning, and there begins an affair that acts as the catalyst for the rest of the novel's events.

The professor abruptly calls of the affair, but not before grooming Serena for a shot at an MI5 interview. It's low level, mundane, but our narrator finally gets a chance to prove herself when she's called in to operation 'Sweet Tooth' - an attempt to counter Communist propaganda coming out of the Cold War. She must meet and offer financial services to the young writer Tom Haley, who's short stories she falls in love with - then the man himself. It's a romance based on betrayal and it doesn't take long before things start to unravel.

McEwan writes with a polished touch, describing anything from the intricate politics surrounding the Cold War and the inner-workings of the secret service, to the sometimes delightful moments of romance and love that Tom and Serena share. With money being provided by the agency, our young writer is free to write without pressures, working on his first novel whilst at the same time frivolously throwing money at champagne and oysters.

Serena is haunted by the abrupt ending of her relationship with Tom Canning, and there's more to the story than even she knows. In a web of lies and deception even as she leads a double life with Tom, Serena herself is also in the dark. McEwan here explores the seventies wonderfully - the strikes, the political crisis, and threats of terrorism looming overhead. At times the history might seem heavy-handed, the Cold War exploration a little too detailed. Yet the suspense is there in abundance, and never quite knowing who to trust makes for a gripping narrative.

The author's 'stories within stories' type of novel blurs the lines between fiction and truth. The novel at heart isn't even about espionage in the proper sense, rather deception and the power of literature. Peppered with references, this multi-layered novel is clever in its execution, and genius in its dénouement. Tightly constructed, the reveal acts as a wonderful twist. The general consensus may be that this isn't quite McEwan's best novel, but in this readers' eyes, it's certainly worth the read.

★★★☆☆.

Edited by Ben

Nice review of Sweet Tooth. I have added it to my wishlist, as I really enjoyed Atonement and Saturday.

Thanks bobbly, Atonement is definitely next up when I get around to reading more McEwan.

So I finished Fyodor Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment at third attempt. *cue cheers, confetti and congratulations to rival a wedding*

I'll just say it was very rewarding and something I feel everyone should make the effort to read in their lives. I am going to attempt some kind of review for this, however futile that may be - but I'm going to wait a few days. This is partly because I want to spend my time reading in the BCF Book Marathon (check it out if it sounds appealing) over the next three days, and because it requires some thought. I'll just you with this, for now..

★★★★★.

For Athena's three day event-marathon I have decided that I will read Ben Elton's Inconceivable. My reasoning? I have none. It looks fun, it's been on my shelves for longer than I care to remember, so I don't see why not. It's one of those kind of decisions.

Synopsis:

Sam and Lucy seem like the perfect couple. Successful, happy and in love. But life isn't that simple. Lucy thinks thinks Sam is a sad, cold sensitivity-exclusion zone who would rather read a newspaper than have an emotion. Sam thinks Lucy is blaming him because she can't walk past Mothercare without getting all teary. The problem is that they might be infertile. And in more ways than one. Lucy wants a baby. Sam wants to write a hit movie. And given that the average IVF cycle has about a one in five chance of going into full production, Lucy's chances of getting what she wants are considerably better than Sam's. What Sam and Lucy are about to go through is absolutely inconceivable. The question is, can their love survive? Or are the odds stacked against them once again?

This sounds utterly fascinating and I've never even read any of Elton's other work before. I'll be writing progress reports, statistics and whatnot (who doesn't love a statistic?!) in Athena's thread if you're interested, and I'll be back to give this some kind of review (perhaps after the weekend as ended). So, without further ado let's get this three-day-fun kicked off..

This sounds fascinating! Let me know what you think of the book :). I hope you have fun on the three-day-read-a-thon!

Comments posted in the thread - and I certainly have so far, same goes to you! :smile2:

So I finished Ben Elton's Inconceivable today. I'm not sure whether I'll post a full review of this (I may), but for now I'll just gather a few thoughts*.

Thoughts:

First of all, I have no qualms about saying that I definitely enjoyed this. The language is crude and coarse in places which is why I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but the plot is fascinating and there is more wit and humour on display than I would've deemed possible in a book discussing one couple's attempts to have a child, and the tensions, difficulties and arguments that result because of how unsuccessful they are.

What I will say is that with Ben Elton's comedic background you would have thought that I'd expect the laughs, but as I wasn't exactly familiar with his works I wasn't quite prepared. The characters throughout this book are very hard to invest in. I mean, they all have completely flawed personalities - but it works. Elton's writing here is light (interesting considering the themes at work), interesting, and it's a page-turner - although I will say the ending seemed rushed.

Overall nothing spectacular but a solid, enjoyable read and I'd look at Ben Elton's work again.

★★★☆☆.

*disclaimer: thoughts may or may not have been stolen from the book marathon thread (but I'm still considering adding something more substantial to this write-up at a later date).

Edited by Ben

The premise sounds really good but I'm not too keen on crude and coarse language.. maybe I can see if I can find an excerpt to see if I could handle it. Great to read your thoughts!

I wouldn't say it's all that bad, actually, I may have exaggerated a little. For the most part, it sort of fits with what's going on - I wouldn't condone it exactly, but you could see why Elton is using that type of language. Either way, I hope you enjoy it if you get around to reading it, and thanks! :smile2:

Next up on the three-day-marathon is a book I bought today at WH Smiths. You know.. because I don't already have two hundred unread books to pick from (but I'm determined to at least read the one's I buy during the year otherwise they start to build up as we all know *laughs*). Anyway, it's The Age of Miracles by Karen Thomas Walker. I haven't heard of her, I'll be honest, but it was on Richard and Judy's book list and the synopsis sounds great.

Synopsis:

For eleven-year-old Julia, it is the age of miracles; the age where kids shoot up three inches over the summer; that rough crossing, from childhood to the next life.

But it's not just her own world that has turned on its head. Julia and her parents wake one ordinary Saturday to discover that the rotation of the earth has suddenly begun to slow. No one knows why, no one knows how to deal with it. Their 24-hour day grows longer, first in minutes, then in hours, until day becomes night and night becomes day. As Julia's family, then her community, fragments, she must navigate both the normal disasters of everyday life, and an ever-terrifying new world.

--

Well this looks like a refreshing and different dystopia-style narrative, with a fascinating concept. I'm already intrigued on how this is going to work, so without further I do I should properly get off here (I find myself saying that so much *laughs*) and get started.